Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rome I Remastered.

Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

Quote Originally Posted by perifanosEllinas View Post
    - the new version will most likely break all the existing mods
    I don't think this will be the case. There has been no talk about updating the old game and the files of the remastered version will be completely separate.
    excluding cd owners from the discount (a huge thumbs down from me on that one)
    I know it says so in the FAQ, but that statement from Creative Assembly is actually misleading. CD owners can also benefit from the offer, all you have to do is to activate Rome I by using the CD key. You can then take advantage of the discount.
    in my opinion they should have also added the expansion campaigns that were originally planned to be included in the vanilla version but were cut before release (Rise Of The Republic, Hannibal At The Gates, Caesar In Gaul. And yes, that's where they got the ideas from for Rome 2)
    Do you have a source on that? First time I hear about it and it sounds quite interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    I'm playing a Med 2 campaign right now and it's just a steamroll with a few cool things, but my campaign is pretty much paint the map and random diplomatic interactions. I think Attila and 3K have much better and more interesting campaigns (as opposed to WH, ToB and Troy that is ). We can argue about the battles, and the battles are preeminent, but if the old ones were so great why am I not rushing back to play them?
    Different tastes, I suppose. I personally find Attila and Shogun II the most overrated games of the franchise. What I like about Medieval II and Rome I is not the AI, but the campaign mechanics that have been since then removed. I miss "distance from capital", which posed a unique challenge to late game expansion, unlike the Chaos invasion or the realm divide, individual taxation, unlimited building slots/armies, trade between provinces, realistic character development instead of upgrading your hero etc. Battles also look more beautiful, with units pushing each other and no stupid health bars. On the other hand, I can't really take Attila very seriously, when the biggest threat are over-powered agents and a Hun warlord that generates armies out of thin air and that needs to die more than thrice, until he's "properly dead". Gimmicks like these feel so immersion-breaking to me.

A nice, concise summary of what we know so far by Darren:

He's a bit negative (understandable, I think the game is way too expensive for what it offers), but he also clears quite a few misconceptions about it.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; March 29, 2021 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Republic of Play.

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

I remember when the multiplayer community was huge and there where always battles on the servers! Hope this returns!
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    I personally find Attila and Shogun II the most overrated games of the franchise. What I like about Medieval II and Rome I is not the AI, but the campaign mechanics that have been since then removed. I miss "distance from capital", which posed a unique challenge to late game expansion, unlike the Chaos invasion or the realm divide, individual taxation, unlimited building slots/armies, trade between provinces, realistic character development instead of upgrading your hero etc. Battles also look more beautiful, with units pushing each other and no stupid health bars. On the other hand, I can't really take Attila very seriously, when the biggest threat are over-powered agents and a Hun warlord that generates armies out of thin air and that needs to die more than thrice, until he's "properly dead". Gimmicks like these feel so immersion-breaking to me.
    Lots of great points here. There are many details in RTW and especially Med2 that deserve a lot of praise. I would not want to play those games again in Med 3 however and really have my heart set on something that's fresh and new.

I would quibble about agents being the biggest threat in Attila (they're not and they've been toned down in patches): it's public order and the CAI targeting the player with DoW's which makes the campaign unique. Last I'd remind you about the Mongols' thin air stacks in Med2.

Genava's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    What I mean is more of the concern of whether the scripting language will be familiar and whether the modification of the map would be familiar.
    The same. I am a bit afraid on the matter.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    I would quibble about agents being the biggest threat in Attila (they're not and they've been toned down in patches): it's public order and the CAI targeting the player with DoW's which makes the campaign unique. Last I'd remind you about the Mongols' thin air stacks in Med2.
    Yes, I think agents have been improved in Attila and the instances of armies cruising aimlessly in the Irish Sea have also become rarer. But I still find them over-powered. Agents have been very problematic since Shogun II, in my opinion, because they level-up too easily and can casually sabotage your armies and bribe/assassinate/infatuate your generals with minimal cost. Probably the most annoying "feature" of the Fall of the Samurais. In Rome I, however, only assassins were slightly over-powered, but were not abused by the AI. The ideal for me is a spy (who can neither sabotage nor assassinate), a diplomat (because establishing diplomatic relations was actually quite hard and did not occur in a Skype-style panel) and a priest (in case religion plays an important role in the game's time-frame). No objections to merchants, but they are superfluous, without at least don't harm the game-play.

I largely agree with you about the Mongols, I was not a fan of their implementation and preferred the hordes of Barbarian Invasion. They had the option to sack the province or settle there and lost a part of their armies composed of mobilised nomads, who now started a new living as farmers or members of the ruling class. It actually provided a great dilemma and accurately reflected the process taking place, when the Vandals or Goths finally managed to establish sedentary kingdoms in Iberia and Africa. In Attila, however, the implementation of hordes is much lazier. The Huns cannot settle for some bizarre reason (probably a sloppy attempt from CA to provide a unique play-style for them) and sacked provinces are literally nuked, which is excessive and tens to create a huge wasteland covering most of Europe. In Barbarian Invasion, on the other hand, the infrastructure damage was more limited and sedentary factions could actually "colonise" the lands raided by the hordes. More realistic and provided a more interesting experience.

Additionally, the decision to make the Huns invincible until Attila has been killed between three or five times encourages the player to follow strategically unsound policies. For example, there's no incentive to confront Hunnic armies that are not commanded by Attila. Even worse, if you are forced to fight them, destroying them completely is a mistake, because next turn, the entire army will magically emerge from its ashes. On the contrary, you need to damage it significantly, but without wiping out completely, so it can no longer be a threat to you, but still taking a slot and preventing the Huns from reaching their maximum potential. That's totally ridiculous, in my opinion, and breaks immersion. The implementation of the Mongols and the Timurids also had a few problems (they both went immediately bankrupt), but was not as absurd, as that of the Huns in Attila.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    I personally find ....Shogun II the most overrated games of the franchise.
    SHAMEFUL DISPLAY!

Disagree here on both, Shogun 2 was exceptional - and polished, bug-less from the first day - while Attila was a Barbarian Invasion going standalone. While I understand your points, particularly on the topic of Realm Divide which is the game feature that I dislike enormously, I think a lot of the limitations are due to the game engine. Warscape to me was created from the ground up for gunpowder fighting, and you can see that clearly when archers shoot or when you have close combat.

Even more, Warscape in itself in ETW and NTW was problematic, the limitations on cities having just a handful of buildings and sieges being... well... a wall and a cannon, made it not so enjoyable outside of normal battles.

It was made even worse years later when Thrones of Britannia legit has some of the best sieges in game, with detailed settlements. That was rather baffling to see, such an enormous effort to make custom settlements in, of all games, Thrones of Britannia.

It's not the game, it's the architecture behind it. And S2TW despite the shortcomings was a brilliant, brilliant game, one of my favourite of all time. Finished all campaigns.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Nikron View Post
    I’m not against new titles and I’m certainly happy for fans of R1R and fantasy as well as very jealous in a good way.

I only wish CA released titles that I can enjoy too since I’m not getting any younger and the time I can allocate to play games is getting reduced every year.

What I don’t get is how are they so clueless to think that titles like ToB and Troy will be a success? Same goes to the boring 3K but there their greed comes from the lucrative Chinese market so I kind of understand them. But what I hate is them releasing these disgusting half-baked titles and move again to fantasy or to more 3K content for the next 2-3 years as if they gave a fair share of love to historical titles.

Do they really think they “earned” a 2-3 years break from the historical titles with releases such as Troy and now R1R?

It’s 15 years since the release of Medieval 2 and still no signs of a new Medieval game that everyone loves and wants. Imagine when we’ll see the next antiquity title. Probably when they’re all retired and a new team takes over whereas I’ll be too old and too busy with kids to have the same passion to play it.

So to conclude, it’s funny how fantasy fans get a 2021 graphics WH3 and historical fans get a “remastered” 2004 game lol. What’s next, Medieval 1 remastered that looks like tetris while fantasy gets WH4 or some Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones proper title with amazing graphics?
    Troy was success because Epic paid it.
    3K was success because China...at least for base game, not sure about DLCs
    Wh is success for which we have no excusion. Maybe Wh fans.

Problem is, this can be repeated most likely with a few otherts IPs like Tolkien, 40K. And that is the issue as historical games were in comparison never so big hits. Any marketing guy will tell you that. They will try to secure another major IP and if they are unable or as side project CA will publish another historical games...

Med 3 will come....nobody just knows when...And I get your feeling just there is difference between being emotional and racional ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by struckat View Post
    To me this says that they are out of money, or development talent, or both.
    They won’t get my money again until they do something worthwhile.
    This is not idea from CA but from Feral. They got quite good with updating older games and they see probably some income for themselves in this effort. If anything this is just bonus.

----------
    And as bonus,new video
    Last edited by Daruwind; March 30, 2021 at 03:15 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    SHAMEFUL DISPLAY!

Disagree here on both, Shogun 2 was exceptional - and polished, bug-less from the first day -
    Eh... perhaps. The issue with with Shogun 2 is really the rather simplistic gameplay and the limited scope of the title. Polish and relatively bug-free, yes, but while that is a noteworthy accomplishment, the game itself is rather boring for a historical enthusiast. Even for somebody who's actually interested in Japanese history. Having said that, the saving grace of Rome Total War is its modding community. Without it, I daresay that I find the base game to be quite unbearable to play.

while Attila was a Barbarian Invasion going standalone. While I understand your points, particularly on the topic of Realm Divide which is the game feature that I dislike enormously, I think a lot of the limitations are due to the game engine. Warscape to me was created from the ground up for gunpowder fighting, and you can see that clearly when archers shoot or when you have close combat.

Even more, Warscape in itself in ETW and NTW was problematic, the limitations on cities having just a handful of buildings and sieges being... well... a wall and a cannon, made it not so enjoyable outside of normal battles.

It was made even worse years later when Thrones of Britannia legit has some of the best sieges in game, with detailed settlements. That was rather baffling to see, such an enormous effort to make custom settlements in, of all games, Thrones of Britannia.

It's not the game, it's the architecture behind it. And S2TW despite the shortcomings was a brilliant, brilliant game, one of my favourite of all time. Finished all campaigns.
    I agree with all points here except for the last one. Once you play one Shogun 2 campaign, you've really played them all. Yeah, there are nuances of faction bonuses and different starting positions. However, the base units are all the same, the diplomacy is all the same, even the playing style, is mostly the same. Aside from the interesting nuances of min-maxing campaign playthroughs, I don't really see much variety in Shogun 2. Hence why I got bored with it relatively quickly.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

On one hand i think its a nice thing this release, as Rome was indeed a turning point in the Total War series. On the other hand, its mostly visual improvements, textures, UI. Should we now expect a similar treatment for the Medieval 2? Makes me wonder.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

To me, a remaster should focus on keeping the original feel of the game but improving things like textures, models, maybe some game mechanics.

Completely changing the UI and the user experience, plus new features, is not really a remaster in my view. It's almost a new game with an old engine.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Troy was success because Epic paid it.
    3K was success because China...at least for base game, not sure about DLCs
    Wh is success for which we have no excusion. Maybe Wh fans.

Problem is, this can be repeated most likely with a few otherts IPs like Tolkien, 40K. And that is the issue as historical games were in comparison never so big hits. Any marketing guy will tell you that. They will try to secure another major IP and if they are unable or as side project CA will publish another historical games...

Med 3 will come....nobody just knows when...And I get your feeling just there is difference between being emotional and racional ;-)
    You speak of rationality yet I remember you since the announcement of Rise of the Republic. You still think that was a marketing success too?

All the effort out over the years to useless releases like Empire Divided, Rise of the Republic, Throne of Britannia, Troy, and now Rome 1 Remastered, could have been saved and put into something as simple as a Medieval focused title. They’d make money, gain the lost respect back, and create hype about CA not only with the newer Warhammer fans from the last 5 years, but also with their Day 1 fans and supporters since Medieval 1 and Rome 1.

Now that’s me being rational, whereas me being emotional would demand an even easier solution which is Rome 3 in a new engine and 2021-2022 graphics.

You think an antiquity or medieval title wouldn’t make them more money than what Epic paid them for Troy?

Domesticus

This looks like a mixed bag to me. The changes made seem to be a case of hit or miss.

On one hand:

+ graphics technically upgraded to 4k resolution
    + variety added to soldiers within units
    + certain elements of the UI and UX are improved
    + the changes are optional and can be turned off
    + new map overview added
    + merchants added
    + widescreen support
    + more modern battle controls (a big thumbs up from me on that one, as in my opinion the game was very outdated there and needed the lifting)
    + improved AI & Diplomacy (at least that's what Feral claims, we'll see)
    + UI scaling

But on the other hand:

- no word yet on removing the annoying faction cap of only 20 factions + rebels & slaves in the grand campaign, which means it'll most likely persist (otherwise they would be advertising this like crazy)
    - the colours of the campaign map are extremely bright and make it look cartoony, which is a turn off for me. The old map looks way better to my eyes.
    - in most videos I've seen the soldier models look very bad, like lifeless store window mannequins
    - the new version will most likely break all the existing mods
    - due to all the graphical upgrades, new models and file changes, modding the game will be harder now (confirmed by Feral)
    - despite all the technical upgrades to graphics, it honestly doesn't look that better to me overall (with the exception of a few details)
    - certain aspects of the UI and UX seem worse to me (panel content, panel locations, icons, etc.)
    - in certain areas there is a strong "mobile game" vibe and feel to it, which is a huge turn off (thankfully some of it can be disabled)
    - in most videos the helmets look like coffee cups instead of helmets. What's up with that?
    - no word yet on adding a proper hoplite phalanx formation (hoplites in vanilla RTW used the pike phalanx formation with the only difference being engaging with 3 lines instead of 5), which most likely means they won't add it
    - no word yet on making formations moddable (in RTW we can't mod the formations at all, not even their stats), which most likely means they won't
    - excluding cd owners from the discount (a huge thumbs down from me on that one)
    - even though they have changed the equipment of units and added new models, they didn't go all the way and have left a lot of work to the modders, with a major example being the tiny hoplon shields (in my opinion they should have added properly sized models)
    - in my opinion they should have also added the expansion campaigns that were originally planned to be included in the vanilla version but were cut before release (Rise Of The Republic, Hannibal At The Gates, Caesar In Gaul. And yes, that's where they got the ideas from for Rome 2)
    - the shooting range indicators are extremely thick and bright and add to the overall "mobile game" vibe and cartoony feel. They definitely need to be toned down A LOT in my opinion.

Looking at the previews and everything I wrote, currently my attitude towards this remaster is just a "meh".

So will the units have models and textures in a different format?

Different from the original Rome Total War and Medieval 2 Total War?

- the colours of the campaign map are extremely bright and make it look cartoony, which is a turn off for me. The old map looks way better to my eyes.
    - in most videos I've seen the soldier models look very bad, like lifeless store window mannequins.
    - totally agree
    - actually they look very pale but in this screen are different
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by argenti; March 31, 2021 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by argenti View Post
    - I think I understand that 38 factions are playable
    This is tricky. Playable across campaigns, not necessarily any single campaign. The difference was raised to me a few pages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Esker View Post
    This is tricky. Playable across campaigns, not necessarily any single campaign. The difference was raised to me a few pages ago.
    yes I noticed.
    There are 38 if we add Barbarian Invasion
    Last edited by argenti; March 31, 2021 at 08:53 AM.

Worm's Avatar Bravo

"Yes, we’re lifting the limits from the original game to allow for more factions and settlements to be added to maps (more information in due course). We’ll also be monitoring and keeping in contact with the modding community post release (with the help of CA’s community team) to see what features modders need to bring all their amazing mods to life and trying to support where we can." This was just posted by the youtuber Melkor, he has been streaming some early Rome Remastered.

"Yes, we’re lifting the limits from the original game to allow for more factions and settlements to be added to maps (more information in due course). We’ll also be monitoring and keeping in contact with the modding community post release (with the help of CA’s community team) to see what features modders need to bring all their amazing mods to life and trying to support where we can." This was just posted by the youtuber Melkor, he has been streaming some early Rome Remastered.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 17, 2022 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Clean-up

Civis

It's from the dev Q&A just hosted on the total war discord

I've tried to summarise that Q&A on our wiki page here:
    https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?...ome_Remastered

there is an answer thread on the official discord at the moment and I think they're going to produce a CA blog post with that compiled

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

This is the biggest most important news from the ama, so much more can be modded than before for Rome Total War. I really hope modding gets a rebirth for rtw.

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5_rsYJEBC8

Good sounds so far...battle and campaign AI changes,
    More moddable base game than the original...
    Last edited by GRANTO; March 31, 2021 at 03:52 PM.