Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 207

Thread: Rome I Remastered.

  1. #61
    Nikron's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Marbella, Spain
    Posts
    1,476

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Geez. I could swore I read so many comments that all we need is just facelifted Rome or more likely Med 2 instead of new dumb down Med 3 as CA surely after 3K/Wh would do another dumb down version....ToB was shouted down as not big enough, Troy/3K as too fantasy. Honestly sometimes I´m baffled what people here want...

    If anything this could be just update to bring those classic titles into new decade..and I try to look into future. If this is success then surely Feral will tackle others older classic titles and after that? What if they will be greenlighted for new old content? Expansion for Med 2 for example. What if CA will allow them to expand Empire/Napoleon/Shogun 2 for example? This will allow CA to focus on newer stuff while Feral will be doing service to all older gamers...
    To each their own.

    I find it hard to believe that people truly prefer nostalgia over upgraded graphics, animations, unit variety and detail, blood and gore, sound, new mechanics no matter how boring.

    When I see a hoplite/pike unit I wanna spot 200-256 various helmets and crests, various linothorax, shield patterns, different details on soldiers like scabbards, pouches, whatever. When they clash I wanna see proper terror and blood, some soldiers/cowards deserting individually rather than in full cohesion.

    When it comes to Romans (the closest to a clone army), I wanna see that red colour dominating through the shields and tunics, that metal look from the helments, chainmail, and occasional lorica segmentata, and the discipline of a true Roman legion with 0-low deserting “trait”.

    Then last but not least, I wanna enjoy the charge of an even more varied barbarian unit, various clothes and colours, some topless, a variety of tattoos, different styled wooden shields, some with helmets and some with different hairstyles and beards, different muscle tones, rich and poor fighting side by side.

    Attila went in the right direction (even though I prefer antiquity) but it received 0 love and support afterwards.

    IMO war should be dark and bloody not cartoonish like Troy, 3k, and obviously R1R, while still enjoying the Witcher 3-like nature, green pastures and forests, and deep blue Mediterranean sea with colourful yet dark hoplites slaughtering each other.

    I can’t enjoy playing with toys anymore. I don’t know how someone would choose R1R over Rome 2 DEI or Attilla’s Ancient Empires.

  2. #62
    Daruwind's Avatar Citizen
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    2,902

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa0 View Post
    *Pokes head out of grave*
    Based on stream footages, this looks like a refined M2TW engine with a new RTW skin- the pre-battle speech structure sounded vaguely like what you would get if you port the RTW Roman speeches in there, hopefully I am mistaken and it's instead a complete rebuild. RTW animations already exist in the M2TW packs, but they were not useable by default as M2TW models have different skeletons.

    If this is indeed the M2TW with all the associated functionalities intact (formations such as shield walls, schiltrom, special morale effects, chariots co-existing with mounted siege engines, moddable AOE effects, etc.) in the base game, it would make a great base for battle modifications alone without the need to swap executibles in the past.
    I have very much the same feeling. Especially addition of "merchant" agent and other hints....And it would make the most sense if Feral is planning doing the remasters for Med 2 as well. Creating working base and porting stuff to it would make all such remasters way better...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    And here they opened the gates to the 7 hells of porting once more, time will tell if it is Dante's version or my niece's. M2TW matched my niece's version neatly, I have doubts that will be the case here. It's not just me that noted the deafening silence around moddability, is it?
    I get your fears Gigantus but on other hands I´m hearing for so long request to get more stable, optimilized game. And for now we don´t know what will be different but if the FAQ is saying the mod support will be there from start. It will be possible to convert stuff. It will just take some time and effort. I can see the situation with fears or with optimism seeing new possibilities. I will always choose the later...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikron View Post
    To each their own.

    I find it hard to believe that people truly prefer nostalgia over upgraded graphics, animations, unit variety and detail, blood and gore, sound, new mechanics no matter how boring.

    When I see a hoplite/pike unit I wanna spot 200-256 various helmets and crests, various linothorax, shield patterns, different details on soldiers like scabbards, pouches, whatever. When they clash I wanna see proper terror and blood, some soldiers/cowards deserting individually rather than in full cohesion.

    When it comes to Romans (the closest to a clone army), I wanna see that red colour dominating through the shields and tunics, that metal look from the helments, chainmail, and occasional lorica segmentata, and the discipline of a true Roman legion with 0-low deserting “trait”.

    Then last but not least, I wanna enjoy the charge of an even more varied barbarian unit, various clothes and colours, some topless, a variety of tattoos, different styled wooden shields, some with helmets and some with different hairstyles and beards, different muscle tones, rich and poor fighting side by side.

    Attila went in the right direction (even though I prefer antiquity) but it received 0 love and support afterwards.

    IMO war should be dark and bloody not cartoonish like Troy, 3k, and obviously R1R, while still enjoying the Witcher 3-like nature, green pastures and forests, and deep blue Mediterranean sea with colourful yet dark hoplites slaughtering each other.

    I can’t enjoy playing with toys anymore. I don’t know how someone would choose R1R over Rome 2 DEI or Attilla’s Ancient Empires.
    You are jumping too much ahead. Do you remember the CA doing "new" R2 DLCs after quite a while? And then Feral got into updating old classics for steam. Now Feral is making whole remaster....if the trend is continuing, I can quite easily see them sooner or later move to update/remaster even newr games. Yeah, it will take make decade for them to get to stuff like R2/Attila but why not? Or what if Feral will get into buisiness to produce new content for those older games? Because with growing list of TW titles, updating and adding stuff to them might be viable plan for smaller studio like Feral. Let CA do new stuff and get some money updating old stuff...

    I´m glad they are doing remaster for R1 because of what it might herald for other TWs later.

    What I would love to see is getting new content in very same way as for example AoE II def edition is getting.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...s_of_the_West/
    New civilizations, campaign. AoE II def is definitely the best remaster I could name. With new content. A few year ago I would say nothing like that would happen. After AoE III...then we got AoE II HD, then definitive edition and now new content. It just took long time but I can honestly imagine DLCs for R2/Attila/Wh selling for long time.

    So I can understand not everybody is interested in every TW and has his/her own favourite TWs but why not be happy for R1 fans and look to future what migh come to your favourite titles?
    Last edited by Daruwind; March 27, 2021 at 08:01 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

  3. #63
    Huberto's Avatar Praepositus
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,303

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    I won't buy the RTW remaster but agree with Daruwind that there's no harm in nostalgia although I'm not nostalgic at all. I think the issue is mods and mod support and all the work folks have done on RTW that doesn't work on Steam and then it's removed from the store so I can't play EB by buying RTW. Although Stainless Steel now works on Steam thank you TWC Gods!

    I definitely don't want the Feral saturated visuals to be applied to Med 2, ETW or Empire (please don't touch Shogun 2!)unless they are seriously restrained. The real issues with those titles are bugs ETW optimization and above all AI. It doesn't seem that Feral did anything to RTW's AI though. Or did it?

  4. #64
    Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    19,725
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    It doesn't seem that Feral did anything to RTW's AI though. Or did it?
    From what I've seen it looks like battle AI has been given a bit of an upgrade, it's at least a little bit smarter (generals don't seem to charge pikes at the start of battle). Haven't seen enough campaign AI but it looks like enemy factions are as aggressive as they always were. Be interesting to see if they recruit better (balanced) armies or just spam cheap units. Hopefully they have put some work into balancing, otherwise they're still a long way behind the later, post Alex, mods.

  5. #65

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    Is there any word about the possibility of multiplayer campaign in Rome Remastered? My purchase decision is heavily based on this fact.

  6. #66
    GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    glastonbury uk
    Posts
    2,201

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    • ]Players can enjoy cross-platform multiplayer between Windows, macOS and Linux, a first for the Total War franchise.

    guess we have to wait and see if its just battles or both.

  7. #67

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    If this Remastered at least lifts the faction limit to 31 like in Medieval 2, then I will buy it 2x (already preordered 1x).

    21 factions as of now is way too few for a campaign map that spans 3 continents...

  8. #68
    Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,128

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    More playable factions would be great. Are there any particular factions you're looking forward to trying?

  9. #69

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dumanthis View Post
    Is there any word about the possibility of multiplayer campaign in Rome Remastered? My purchase decision is heavily based on this fact.
    Don't bet on it. It never had the feature and the game doesn't technically revolutionize anything as far as we can see. At most is the half-baked hotseat feature for Rome 1 they probably didn't touch. If they did anything revolutionary you'd have probably seen it - or will see it - before launch as it's a fairly significant thing to just 'drop in'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocyalos View Post
    If this Remastered at least lifts the faction limit to 31 like in Medieval 2, then I will buy it 2x (already preordered 1x).

    21 factions as of now is way too few for a campaign map that spans 3 continents...
    It likely won't be like Medieval 2 in other regards (ex, we may not see anything on scripting), but the old + new factions well exceed 31. So on this you got it.

  10. #70

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Esker View Post
    It likely won't be like Medieval 2 in other regards (ex, we may not see anything on scripting), but the old + new factions well exceed 31. So on this you got it.
    But these 38 factions in Remastered are in 3 different campaigns... No single campaign in Rome Remastared has more than 21 factions incl. rebels. Which is a shame. Its too few for such a big map. People nowadays all have the hardware for more than just 21 factions.

  11. #71
    GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    glastonbury uk
    Posts
    2,201

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dumanthis View Post
    Is there any word about the possibility of multiplayer campaign in Rome Remastered? My purchase decision is heavily based on this fact.
    Pretty sure i heard on the Brutti campaign stream , he said battles only multiplayer.

  12. #72

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    Quote Originally Posted by GRANTO View Post
    Pretty sure i heard on the Brutti campaign stream , he said battles only multiplayer.
    Well that sucks

  13. #73

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocyalos View Post
    But these 38 factions in Remastered are in 3 different campaigns... No single campaign in Rome Remastared has more than 21 factions incl. rebels. Which is a shame. Its too few for such a big map. People nowadays all have the hardware for more than just 21 factions.
    Ah, then I badly misunderstood. One prospective advantage out the window, fewer by the day.

    At this point I'm not sure it is a hardware question so much as design (or at least, effort put towards it) and possibly the company also having an issue with the hardcode limit for the engine.

  14. #74
    Nikron's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Marbella, Spain
    Posts
    1,476

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    You are jumping too much ahead. Do you remember the CA doing "new" R2 DLCs after quite a while? And then Feral got into updating old classics for steam. Now Feral is making whole remaster....if the trend is continuing, I can quite easily see them sooner or later move to update/remaster even newr games. Yeah, it will take make decade for them to get to stuff like R2/Attila but why not? Or what if Feral will get into buisiness to produce new content for those older games? Because with growing list of TW titles, updating and adding stuff to them might be viable plan for smaller studio like Feral. Let CA do new stuff and get some money updating old stuff...

    I´m glad they are doing remaster for R1 because of what it might herald for other TWs later.

    What I would love to see is getting new content in very same way as for example AoE II def edition is getting.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...s_of_the_West/
    New civilizations, campaign. AoE II def is definitely the best remaster I could name. With new content. A few year ago I would say nothing like that would happen. After AoE III...then we got AoE II HD, then definitive edition and now new content. It just took long time but I can honestly imagine DLCs for R2/Attila/Wh selling for long time.

    So I can understand not everybody is interested in every TW and has his/her own favourite TWs but why not be happy for R1 fans and look to future what migh come to your favourite titles?
    I’m not against new titles and I’m certainly happy for fans of R1R and fantasy as well as very jealous in a good way.

    I only wish CA released titles that I can enjoy too since I’m not getting any younger and the time I can allocate to play games is getting reduced every year.

    What I don’t get is how are they so clueless to think that titles like ToB and Troy will be a success? Same goes to the boring 3K but there their greed comes from the lucrative Chinese market so I kind of understand them. But what I hate is them releasing these disgusting half-baked titles and move again to fantasy or to more 3K content for the next 2-3 years as if they gave a fair share of love to historical titles.

    Do they really think they “earned” a 2-3 years break from the historical titles with releases such as Troy and now R1R?

    It’s 15 years since the release of Medieval 2 and still no signs of a new Medieval game that everyone loves and wants. Imagine when we’ll see the next antiquity title. Probably when they’re all retired and a new team takes over whereas I’ll be too old and too busy with kids to have the same passion to play it.

    So to conclude, it’s funny how fantasy fans get a 2021 graphics WH3 and historical fans get a “remastered” 2004 game lol. What’s next, Medieval 1 remastered that looks like tetris while fantasy gets WH4 or some Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones proper title with amazing graphics?

  15. #75
    Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cracovia
    Posts
    5,264

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    The old, good suicidal charges of the mounted AI general into the phalanxes are back!
    https://youtu.be/pTI-GEupRuU?t=845

  16. #76
    GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    glastonbury uk
    Posts
    2,201

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    Can someone answer this question...is it only Rome that is remastered with BI and Alex are still the old versions?,
    or is BI and Alex remastered also?

  17. #77

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    Quote Originally Posted by GRANTO View Post
    Can someone answer this question...is it only Rome that is remastered with BI and Alex are still the old versions?,
    or is BI and Alex remastered also?
    BI and Alex are remastered.

  18. #78
    GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    glastonbury uk
    Posts
    2,201

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    Quote Originally Posted by herne_the _hunter View Post
    BI and Alex are remastered.
    Thanks ...looks like they are still to be revealed then...

  19. #79

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    To me this says that they are out of money, or development talent, or both.
    They won’t get my money again until they do something worthwhile.

  20. #80

    Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

    This looks like a mixed bag to me. The changes made seem to be a case of hit or miss.

    On one hand:

    + graphics technically upgraded to 4k resolution
    + variety added to soldiers within units
    + certain elements of the UI and UX are improved
    + the changes are optional and can be turned off
    + new map overview added
    + merchants added
    + widescreen support
    + more modern battle controls (a big thumbs up from me on that one, as in my opinion the game was very outdated there and needed the lifting)
    + improved AI & Diplomacy (at least that's what Feral claims, we'll see)
    + UI scaling

    But on the other hand:

    - no word yet on removing the annoying faction cap of only 20 factions + rebels & slaves in the grand campaign, which means it'll most likely persist (otherwise they would be advertising this like crazy)
    - the colours of the campaign map are extremely bright and make it look cartoony, which is a turn off for me. The old map looks way better to my eyes.
    - in most videos I've seen the soldier models look very bad, like lifeless store window mannequins
    - the new version will most likely break all the existing mods
    - due to all the graphical upgrades, new models and file changes, modding the game will be harder now (confirmed by Feral)
    - despite all the technical upgrades to graphics, it honestly doesn't look that better to me overall (with the exception of a few details)
    - certain aspects of the UI and UX seem worse to me (panel content, panel locations, icons, etc.)
    - in certain areas there is a strong "mobile game" vibe and feel to it, which is a huge turn off (thankfully some of it can be disabled)
    - in most videos the helmets look like coffee cups instead of helmets. What's up with that?
    - no word yet on adding a proper hoplite phalanx formation (hoplites in vanilla RTW used the pike phalanx formation with the only difference being engaging with 3 lines instead of 5), which most likely means they won't add it
    - no word yet on making formations moddable (in RTW we can't mod the formations at all, not even their stats), which most likely means they won't
    - excluding cd owners from the discount (a huge thumbs down from me on that one)
    - even though they have changed the equipment of units and added new models, they didn't go all the way and have left a lot of work to the modders, with a major example being the tiny hoplon shields (in my opinion they should have added properly sized models)
    - in my opinion they should have also added the expansion campaigns that were originally planned to be included in the vanilla version but were cut before release (Rise Of The Republic, Hannibal At The Gates, Caesar In Gaul. And yes, that's where they got the ideas from for Rome 2)
    - the shooting range indicators are extremely thick and bright and add to the overall "mobile game" vibe and cartoony feel. They definitely need to be toned down A LOT in my opinion.

    Looking at the previews and everything I wrote, currently my attitude towards this remaster is just a "meh".
    Last edited by perifanosEllinas; March 29, 2021 at 07:45 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •