Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rome I Remastered.

Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

It looks like a great base for mods to take off, but the ui is a little concerning. I haven't seen a streamer really look over it but it seems that the general traits and ancillary window has been watered down.

I am confused as a consumer, which product should I buy: RTW remaster or TWRII? Which product will receive long-term support? (I only own the original RTW)

My pessimistic side thinks this is a mobile port with some eye-candy for the sake of killing off the original RTW and its amazing community-produced mod content.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    It still works, i'm downloading it via steam atm.
    That's some good news - I had feared not being available for sale meant that 'converting' CD to Steam was no longer possible.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The new map looks so bad to me!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    The new map looks so bad to me!
    Yes, it's like Civ6 colourful plasticine. If you compare it to the RTW it's not so bad, but I think the maps in Med2 mods are much more pleasing.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Steam version can be started and is running without problems under Win 10.

So you can save 15 bucks, if you install it, but honestly i don't know if i can enjoy Attack of the clone warriors again^^

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So i will first Abdül let buy it, so he can test it. If he rants more Rome II than Rome I than instant buy.

But honestly i will only thinking about buying it, if the horrible original diplomacy is improved.

For everything else there will someday mods.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; March 25, 2021 at 01:30 PM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Majkl's Avatar Miles

People are streaming on youtube. It seems diplomacy has been reworked indeed, but I did not quite see much yet.

I wonder if this will have the hardcoded limits of original rome or med2? cause it looks like it's based on med2 engine..

Original Rome Total War runs pretty bad on Windows 7 at least so if there is any support for it and for modern OS then this might indeed be a good thing if they do it properly (I for myself are traumatized by Warcraft 3 reforged )

However there is no word for making Rome total war remastered to support multiplayer campaign, and if this will be the case then this is a huge waste of opportunity to make older games playable pvp in campaign although I understand many Total War players like to roleplay solo and stuff.

I have the non Steam disc version and put in the serial on steam and it worked as many people here have confirmed. I also purchased the game what a surprise this is.

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

I have a question... Do you think this new remastered Rome 1 TW is made to be the competence of Roman Empires Wars announced by Emperor Games / Playway? I have been following the progress of this announced game but besides a couple of screenshots I don't know anything else. Looks good in paper but Playway has lots of projects on hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Incendio View Post
    I have a question... Do you think this new remastered Rome 1 TW is made to be the competence of Roman Empires Wars announced by Emperor Games / Playway? I have been following the progress of this announced game but besides a couple of screenshots I don't know anything else. Looks good in paper but Playway has lots of projects on hold.
    If the mods were really adaptable, then we could see the rebirth of some good mods e.g. Ardono World.
    I am also curious about this Empires Wars

Well, watching the streams has been interesting. I'll probably get used to the UI after a little bit (never played the mobile port), and a lot of the QoL changes like the camera are certainly welcome. The new "realistic" color settings are something that I'll probably go with. The color saturation is a bit too much for me, but at least things look less washed out across the board with the lighting improvements.

MATN's video did show that they made actual distinct models rather than clones, and when you train replacements into a unit, the ethnic makeup might change based on where you're training from, which is a really cool feature that I hope they keep into the next historical title. He did mention that the game now deducts the same amount from population regardless of unit scaling, which he seems to think is bad, but I think makes sense. The population system never scaled with unit scale that I can remember. Then again, I don't think I ever played on anything but the large setting. Baseline being at 60 sounds low though. Maybe increase it to at least 100.

It is really funny that them adding the option to turn on the unit paths during battle lets you appreciate just how utterly absurd the pathfinding is in Rome. Doesn't look like that or the AI has changed much.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

That UI, for me, is not appealing. I personally dislike mobile games as a general rule and having that mobile UI for a standalone PC game is not appealing to me.

I don't understand why some small touches could not have been applied to make it more pleasant, more historical even.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    That UI, for me, is not appealing. I personally dislike mobile games as a general rule and having that mobile UI for a standalone PC game is not appealing to me.

I don't understand why some small touches could not have been applied to make it more pleasant, more historical even.
    I agree with you. I am now thinking about Field of Glory 2 and Imperator: Rome. I like their aesthetics.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Doesn't look very nice at all, very reminiscent of a mobile game.

I am absolutely hoping old mods can be integrated into this new version, Roma Surrectum or SPQR TW...imagine it in 4k glory!!!

I have strong doubts that any sort of hardcoded restrictions will be lifted but it they do I'll gladly wait for the possibility of a Med2 re-release.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

What I want to know: Are the mods for RTW usable on R2TW? Or they have to be made again from scratch?
    Yes ---> Buy
    No ----> Don't buy.

So, I would like to know the answer before sale ends.

As more info, what I mean is whether the "basic structure" of RTW:Remastered is the same as RTW just with different graphics.

Random note: "New agent: Merchant"
    So... M2TW without the princess.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

I find it incredibly unlikely that there won't be some amount of porting required for RTW mods even if the basic modding structure is mostly the same. The addition of optional features, new configuration settings, and the upgrades to things like the models will mean that it almost certainly won't be plug and play.

Interestingly enough, from what I've heard, Feral Interactive approached CA about doing the remaster, rather than the other way around. Probably because they thought it was doable since they already had experience with the port. Something to think about in terms of what might get remastered down the line.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!