Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rome I Remastered.

Default Re: Rome I Remastered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocyalos View Post
    If you want 30 factions, you can just play Medieval 2 Mods.
    I don't "want 30 factions" I simply said adding that much would breath new life into the modding community which it would since just having 10 more factions to add would be nice and allow more factions into mods like Realism and Barborum and Surrectum. If we get more it would be nice but I would be fine with them upping the limit at all. Try not to put words in my mouth next time.

Quote Originally Posted by perifanosEllinas View Post
    Personally I don't think either 30 or 40 factions are enough to provide what I consider a historically authentic and immersive experience for that setting. The extremely small number of factions is one of the major reasons I can't go back to RTW or its overhaul mods anymore, especially after Rome 2 gave us hundreds of factions in the same setting.
    Personally I think you are far too stuck up with your standards on what is "immersive and authentic" if you can't have your 100 gazillion factions that are almost all copy pasted of the same culture type with almost no difference with the other. Rome 2 can have it's hundreds of factions because despite all those factions it's base game remains vapid as ever and it's mods barely change that. Immersion and authenticity are more than putting in every single faction during a time period no matter how obscure they are, it's making the game flow in a certain way that gives the player a feeling of building an empire and it's authenticity is using it's mechanics to portray the time period to the player enough to make them invested in it and like they are playing in a different time period. Mods made for Rome 1 have done this far better than anything I have seen in Rome 2 and it did not need 100s of factions to do it.

It seems I approach this from a very different angle than most people, as I don't see people talking about the rebel faction that much, if at all. I think the rebel faction only existed because of the faction caps. Back in 2004 they just had to merge all these factions and cultures into one rebel faction because they could simply not add any more factions but still had to cover the entire map. In 2021 both the rebel faction and the faction caps are very outdated and in my opinion should both be removed. And of course this change would be optional so people who don't want the remaster to change that much could simply turn it off. And if Feral is unwilling or unable to make such a change they should at the very least remove the faction caps completely to allow the modders to.
    Call it outdated all you want, it worked far better than Rome 2's handling of it's hundreds of factions that despite being tiny and irrelevant almost always ended up destroying the important factions of the era thanks to the crappy province and imperium mechanics which almost always happened around Rome 2's launch to the point people were complaining all the time about how Rome kept getting wiped out by minor factions before they could even face them. Don't know how much they managed to fix this or how mods made it less of a problem but it made me realize that at least the Rebels of Rome 1 and Med 2 worked in at least keeping the minor factions from toppling the important ones before you even had your fun with them.

I also wouldn't personally be satisfied with just an increase in region and unit caps. I don't see how having such caps can be acceptable in a 2021 release, even if it's a RTW remaster. I mean it would simply be outdated even at release, and wouldn't be able to compare or compete with Rome 2, especially now that a campaign map modding tool for the more modern TW games (including Rome 2) is being developed by the Rise Of Mordor modding team.
    Realism, Barborum and Surrectum all stomp any mod made for Rome 2 regardless of their "outdated caps" because the engine itself is not limited like Rome 2's is when it comes to total conversions and I'll still take even Vanilla Rome 1 over Rome 2 with it's garbage combat and collision physics, province system, General only armies, limited braindead building slots, and dull ass music. That "map modding tool" you like harping on about has yet to prove itself to be anything worthwhile which being that it is only now being said to be possible is embarrassing to even know since it took almost a decade to talk about it where as we were getting stuff like Rome Total Realism about a year after Rome 1 was released if not being planned before.

Quote Originally Posted by herne_the _hunter View Post
    The Spiffing Brit shows that Rome Remastered is a perfectly balanced game with no exploits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FqUxeKGJ3k
    Well I guess no one can say Diplomacy is useless in Rome 1 anymore.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 17, 2022 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Clean-up

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Well, that was fun

Ironically, I never knew him before.
    TW player with 2 million subs huh
    Last edited by SharpEyed; April 18, 2021 at 07:14 AM.

After I saw Spiffing Brits Youtubevideo about Rome Remastered, I now preordered the game a seconds time.

I cannot wait to be an ancient scam artist in the field of real estate! Where some 250 years before Jesus and over 2000 years before Donald Trump I commit fraud and scammery by buying off lands and bullying my sellers afterwards.

Because this is how Empires rose and fell. You don't need thousands and thousands of legions, steel and death, no. You need Quintus Papinius Vindex and Tertius Vitruvius Eulogius who will venture out to foreign lands, instantly buy their empires by promising to settle grievances and afterwards bullying their partners to go into debt!

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

I'll be waiting on a seasonal mod.

We simply don't know enough about the engine to determine just how programmable the faction number actually is. Should and could mean two entirely different things. Should they remove the faction cap or raise it to 40, 50, 100, whatever? Maybe, but can they? That's a great question. We don't really know what modifications Feral has been capable of making to the engine and there simply might be technical limitations that will disappoint some people. You have to decide for yourself if that would be a make or break for the game.

Personally I don't think that turning say the rebel faction into individual tribes and kingdoms would be all that interesting if they're clones of each other and having them independent doesn't really do much for gameplay in my opinion. The vast majority of people would only play a Roman faction anyway. Mods aren't used by most of a games' player base and Feral isn't going to make huge changes to the campaigns beyond their emergent faction randomizer system.

EDIT: To be clear I've made the point before, but I think it's really for the best if people don't assume Feral is going to do things they haven't really promised. Until modders get access to it and start going crazy I would take any sort of claims to be wishful thinking.
    Last edited by Slaytaninc; April 21, 2021 at 10:52 PM.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Domesticus

We await the release to find out what limits they have removed and which ones they have increased.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Reminiscing about RTW and other TW titles with two CA devs:

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/the-total-war-rome-remastered-interview

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    I'll be waiting on a seasonal mod.

Yeah a remaster should at least have 4 seasons per year w graphical representation on campaign and battle maps.
    Classical World - overhaul mod for Hegemony 3 , Clash of The Ancients. The Real Time Grand Strategy equivalent of Total War
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/classical-world-5

70 gigs hard space for this really. Well you can **** right off then and **** off some more

Since I posted that it's good to see the specs have changed to something more reasonable. Pleased.
    Last edited by herne_the _hunter; April 30, 2021 at 03:51 PM.

look at the face
    Last edited by argenti; April 28, 2021 at 02:56 PM.

So we have some info...

The initial release is focused on making sure the main game is polished and fun to play. However, the core features for modding are also in place, including:

Workshop support
    UI to submit and update mods from the game
    Mod conflict warnings
    Support for mods in Multiplayer
    Support for the original -show_err and -ai modding commands

Where feasible the previous engine limits will be relaxed to allow for more complex mods.
    Fixing issues that are reported as modders start to use the system.
    Some of the tools used to pack models, audio etc will be made available to the wider modding community.

To ensure updates to expanded modding limits and other modding-related changes do not negatively affect the game, they will first be released on a beta branch to allow modders to test the feature and report any issues. Once fixes are confirmed as working and stable they will be merged into the next release of the game.

Raising the limits can be complex to implement, and require significant code changes.

Factions
    Original:21
    Remastered:31

Faction limits will be increased from 21 to 31 factions. This matches the maximum number of factions that Medieval 2 supported and is the limit of the existing game engine. This change affects a number of areas of the game engine and so will need extensive testing.

Regions
    Original:200
    Remastered:TBD*

The region limits will be increased from 200. The exact increase is not yet confirmed, but will be substantial.

Other Limits
    There are a number of other limits that have been highlighted by the community. These will be reviewed individually and increased where practical. Some of the most requested are:

Unit Entries (EDU)
    Model Entries (DMB)
    Buildings (EDB)
    Mounts
    Religions
    Cultures

Post release more details on updated formats, packing & unpacking tools will be provided, along with scripts to enable modders to make new content.

Prior to release Feral has worked with modders, who have created some of the most popular Rome mods, to get feedback and allow them to test the functionality of the Remaster.

We are happy to say that a number of alpha releases from these modders will be available in the Steam Workshop tomorrow. Thank you to all of them for their enthusiastic support and some impressively fast turnarounds.

We are sure that there will be more questions once the entire modding community gets access to the Remaster, so we will be regularly checking the official discord as well as the wider community.

The Medieval 2 faction limit is kind of disappointing and my main take away is this: the real work on other limits will begin after release. In any case, for everyone interested it would be the best if they become active on official Discord under Rome Remastered and Historical Feedback, and then post more ideas for other useful modding features and limits we would like to be raised/old modding bugs in need of fixing. Feral are always watching there and are willing to support modding post-launch so... worth a try

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Where can I join this official Discord?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Basically what I expected to be changed.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Is there a possibility to lower the battle speed incrementaly as it is possible in the Med2? I mean: not only x0.5 but x0.1 or x0.7 ? The battles are very fast.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Is there a possibility to lower the battle speed incrementaly as it is possible in the Med2? I mean: not only x0.5 but x0.1 or x0.7 ? The battles are very fast.
    Hi JoC, once on the battle map there is a battle map overview window on the top right hand of the screen, there are 4 buttons, one which you can switch to half speed game if that's any good to you.
    PS: Alternatively if you go to Settings > controls settings > battle menu > speed control:half and assign a hotkey.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; May 02, 2021 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added info
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    Hi JoC, once on the battle map there is a battle map overview window on the top right hand of the screen, there are 4 buttons, one which you can switch to half speed game if that's any good to you.
    PS: Alternatively if you go to Settings > controls settings > battle menu > speed control:half and assign a hotkey.
    Thanks, laddy! This is also possible with the newer TW games. I'm actually interested in that incremental thingy - it is one of the features of the Med2 that makes it superior engine to the newer ones, in my opinion.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Thanks, laddy! This is also possible with the newer TW games. I'm actually interested in that incremental thingy - it is one of the features of the Med2 that makes it superior engine to the newer ones, in my opinion.
    Aye I got what you meant but could not find anything relevant just that feature. I agree it's a good idea if possible.
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Shadow_Imperator's Avatar Italo/Aussie hayseed

This link doesn't work...
    "We are unable to choose the circumstances of our creation, and few of us choose our demise.
    However, as intelligent creatures of freewill, we are gifted, privileged, and so very fortunate; that we are able to choose the manner, in which we choose live". - Me

(If you like my quote or agree with it, you are welcome to add it to your own sig!).
    Under the patronage of Bulgaroctonos - PROTECTOR of the FAITH

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Imperator View Post
    This link doesn't work...
    Yeah, an invite is first needed to join the community, link only works if you actually have Discord. This would be the invite. To accept it you need an account, which isn't hard, but a bit of a hassle if you aren't familiar.