Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome I Remastered.

Default Rome I Remastered.

Indienova, a Chine gaming platform leaked the announcement for Rome Remastered. The website also links to a mysterious Steam page. It's also interesting to note that Rome I can no longer be purchased on Steam. I really doubt it's just a coincidence.

Anyway, according to the brief summary, the remastered version will rely on the old, 2004 game, but with improved graphics and "refined" gameplay. The update will also include the expansions of Rome I, Barbarian Invasion and Alexander.

I wonder how it will look and if that it will be as easily moddable as its renowned predecessor. Or maybe it's just an April Fools joke, like the dinosaurs!
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; April 06, 2021 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Vox populi.

Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

This would be huge

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

haha you guys beat me to write it...
    but we got news on FB
    Steam page is up
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/8...ME_REMASTERED/

FAQ page already up
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-...remastered-faq
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Total War: ROME REMASTERED FAQ

Total War: ROME II

Ella McConnell
    March 24 2021

Languages

English

Dates & Games

When is Total War: ROME REMASTERED being released?

Total War: ROME REMASTERED launches on the 29th of April 2021 at 15:00 BST.
    What do I get when I buy Total War: ROME REMASTERED?

You will get Total War: ROME REMASTERED, as well as both the Alexander and Barbarian Invasion DLCs.
    If you don’t already own it, you will also get the original ROME: Total War – Collection (please note that the original ROME: Total War is only playable on Windows; it was never released on macOS and Linux on Steam).
    If you already own ROME: Total War but not the original Alexander DLC, you will also get that once you buy Total War: ROME REMASTERED (as before, this is only playable on Windows).
    What is the 50% Loyalty Discount for Total War: ROME REMASTERED?

We wanted to reward our loyal fans! For a limited time, if you already own ROME: Total War on Steam, you will receive 50% off Total War: ROME REMASTERED!
    Simply go to the Steam product page for Total War: ROME REMASTERED and you should see the game available for purchase at 50% off. As per the Steam Play model, you will get access to the game on Windows, macOS and Linux.
    This offer is available until May 31st 16:00 PDT / June 1st 00:00 BST.
    Can people who own the CD version of ROME: Total War also benefit from the 50% loyalty discount for Total War: ROME REMASTERED?

No – this offer is only valid for users who own ROME: Total War on Steam. Unfortunately, we cannot track users who own the CD version in order to offer the discount.
    Is Total War: ROME REMASTERED replacing the original ROME: Total War?

No – you can still play the original ROME: Total War and, if you don’t already own it, ROME: Total War is included when you purchase Total War: ROME REMASTERED. If you already own ROME: Total War, it will still be present and playable on Windows in your Steam library.
    Are other Total War games being remastered?

We do not currently plan to remaster any other classic Total War games.
    Platforms & Storefronts

Which platforms will Total War: ROME REMASTERED be available on?

Total War: ROME REMASTERED will be available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
    Which storefronts will Total War: ROME REMASTERED be available through?

Steam on launch, and the Mac App Store a few weeks later.
    Will Total War: ROME REMASTERED be released on the Epic Games Store?

An Epic Games Store release of Total War: ROME REMASTERED is not currently planned.
    Why is ROME: Total War now unavailable to purchase on Steam?

We decided to remove the ROME: Total War purchase option from Steam to focus on the definitive version: Total War: ROME REMASTERED. The original ROME: Total War will still be in your Steam library, and if you don’t own it, it will be become available to you as part of your Total War: ROME REMASTERED purchase.
    I purchased Total War: ROME REMASTERED and cannot find the ROME: Total War – Collection in the launcher.

The ROME: Total War – Collection will be added directly to your Steam library and not in the same launcher as Total War: ROME REMASTERED.
    Can I play the original ROME: Total War – Collection on Mac and Linux?

No, unfortunately the ROME: Total War – Collection is only compatible with Windows.
    Will the macOS version of Total War: ROME REMASTERED support Apple’s new M1 chip?

The game supports it, but unfortunately the Steam client does not; as soon as it does, the game is ready for M1 support. Until then it will run through Rosetta 2 on Steam. On the Mac App Store the game will run M1 native from release.
    Content

What new features does Total War: ROME REMASTERED have?

Good question! You can find a quick rundown below – stay tuned for more in-depth information about all of Total War: ROME REMASTERED’s shiny new features.
    VISUALS

• UHD resolution support
    • Updated 3D unit models and textures
    • Widescreen and ultrawide monitor support
    • Enhanced battlefield environments
    • Enhanced campaign map
    • Improved visual effects

FEATURES

• Campaign map overlays
    • Faction summary screen
    • Unit status displays
    • Enhanced camera and controls
    • New quick lists

GAMEPLAY

• 16 additional playable factions (38 in total)
    • Cross-platform multiplayer
    • Steam Workshop mod support
    • New agent: the merchant
    • New summary screen: the agent hub
    • Improved diplomacy

USER INTERFACE

• Redesigned UI and tooltips
    • Optional classic versus remastered rules
    • Improved sound mix
    • Added UI scaling
    • Enhanced iconography
    • Improved support for colour blindness

HELP SYSTEM

• Fully integrated game manual
    • Enhanced advisor messages
    • New first-time player advice
    • Redesigned campaign tutorial

Gameplay

Will Total War: ROME REMASTERED be localised in my language?

Total War: ROME REMASTERED will include full text for English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, and simplified Chinese. The game will support full voiceover for English, German, French and Russian, and partial voiceover for Spanish, Italian, and Mandarin Chinese.
    Will Total War: ROME REMASTERED support mods at launch?

Yes! A new mod support feature has been added and will be available from launch.
    Can I play cross-platform multiplayer against other users across Windows, Mac, and Linux?

Yes, you can! For the first time in the history of Total War, you can play multiplayer against friends and foes in Total War: ROME REMASTERED over three different platforms!

EDIT:
    -new SteamDB entry is https://steamdb.info/app/885970/
    -50% off for Steam owners of Rome I
    -Rome I inclusion in bundle with remastered new version

Hopefully this will be better remaster ala AoE II and not like Warcraft III. Anyway 15 bucks sounds as great offer..looking forward to Troy on Steam as well and Wh3 around end of year. This year seems to be packed as much as possible...

Oh geez.....what if CA will remaster all "old classical" titles? Med 1/2, Shogun 1.....Just saying that anybody expecting Med 3 as next major tent pole title might get Med 2 remaster instead People should be careful about what they wish for...
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 17, 2022 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Clean-up
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Remastering Rome TW is interesting - I wonder if it's mod compatible.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Remastering Rome TW is interesting - I wonder if it's mod compatible.
    It looks like the same engine will be used for battles at least, so I assume as much
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

If there are mods.

Let's ing go.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Crossing fingers this title won't require a NASA computer

More than 31 factions. All else being the same and considering other medieval 2 integrations on top, it may blow away Med 2 and Rome 1 in modding combined. Granted, we'll have to see what goes under lock and key between features and contexts to mod.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

FAQ mentions a total of 38 factions, merchants. Cute, but it will mean any modder making use of it will have to rely on that version.

Meaning that like M2TW you will have to have two mod sections. Great - I am looking forward to: 'why doesn't the damn mod work, stupid modders' until awareness eventually creeps in.

@Twilight - if they haven't overhauled (expanded\simplified) the scripting system then I have my doubt it will overtake M2TW.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 25, 2021 at 11:34 AM.

Some first impressions from select channels:

• This remaster will include the Alexander and the Barbarian Invasion expansions.
    • Mod support on the Steam workshop.
    • 50% off if you already own Rome: Total War (Steam version only, not the the CD version) [Edit: I stand corrected, discount can be applied to CD version as well as seen below.]
    • System requirements only mention 64 bit processor and operating system for now with additional details to come.
    • Cross-platform multi-player: Windows, Mac OS, Linux!
    • Etc, etc, etc.
    Last edited by skh1; March 25, 2021 at 03:33 PM.

"You know… the thing" - President Joseph R. Biden, Jr., vaguely alluding to the Declaration of Independence

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Eventually in a later sale,as i already stopped playing RTW long before Rome II TW was released because of broken diplomacy (treaty 1 round, broken next round), siege bug (more as 5 AI towers at a siege, game freezed), imbalance (bronze age egypt + Britons conquered always the world) and anachronistic factions and units.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Esker View Post
    More than 31 factions. All else being the same and considering other medieval 2 integrations on top, it may blow away Med 2 and Rome 1 in modding combined. Granted, we'll have to see what goes under lock and key between features and contexts to mod.
    I wonder how many improvements will be made? They said that the diplomacy will be better. I am wondering what will they do with the grain resource growth thingy. Thinking also about faction respawn and I am very curious about the new factions. They say 16 NEW ones for a total of 38 but there were only 21 in the original, including the slave faction. It was also mentioned the game is mod compatible from day one with a new way to easily integrate them. I do not think we will have naval battles, I think the game mechanics do not allow for their implementation yet I hope for a better way to make them work, somehow. I do truly hope Egypt is historically period accurate. Also hoping for better AI builds (God, the militias spam) and also I hope that the auto resolve is more balanced.

I wonder if they will add more regions although the map preview showed the same - which begs to wonder, how will those extra 16 new factions fit in the game? Will they make it slower, somehow? In the old Rome everything happened in the first 50 turns.

Anyways, I am super hyped about it. I really was hoping for something like this. Really cool that they have kept it hidden and now we only have to wait 1 month and not an entire year full of small bits of info - it would have been a torment.
    RTWRM - back to basics

The UI is going to be divisive. Looks like they're using the style of the mobile version, obviously scaled for PC.

Watching the Twitch chat, it seems like lots of people forgot what unmodded Rome looked like.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

Blog Entries

50% off if you already own Rome: Total War (Steam version only, not the the CD version).
    Using the CD code used to get you the Steam version, not sure if that still works.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Esker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    FAQ mentions a total of 38 factions, merchants.
    They are the same factions, no new one has been implemented. The number takes into account Barbarian Invasion and Alexander as well. The 22 original factions mentioned are those that were available without needing to edit that single line in notepad (11 in Rome I, 10 in Barbarian Invasion and 1 in Alexander). The other 16 are the 8 remaining factions of Rome I (I doubt the Senate will be playable) and the Burgundians, Lombards, Berbers, Celts and Roxolani from Barbarian Invasion. The last 3 slots will be covered either by the emergent factions of Barbarian Invasion (Ostrogoths, Slavs and Romano-British) or those of Alexander (Persia, Scythia/Illyria/Massagetae and maybe India, which was however not present in the campaign map, only in historical battles).

FAQ mentions a total of 38 factions, merchants. Cute, but it will mean any modder making use of it will have to rely on that version.

Meaning that like M2TW you will have to have two mod sections. Great - I am looking forward to: 'why doesn't the damn mod work, stupid modders' until awareness eventually creeps in.

@Twilight - if they haven't overhauled (expanded\simplified) the scripting system then I have my doubt it will overtake M2TW.
    Call me naive, but I hold my ground even if the scripts are exactly the same.

Now granted, if they neuter it or anything else, that appeal is going to drop extra quickly. I imagine this at best will not be compatible any more than you can shove a Rome 1 mod into a Medieval 2 directory.

Using the CD code used to get you the Steam version, not sure if that still works.

It does. I recently threw out all my old retail games and added the ones I could to Steam, among them the complete Rome I/Barbarian Invasion pack. Steam accepted it without question.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

It still works, i'm downloading it via steam atm.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

Incompatible mods (Remaster to original, not sure the other way round) will provide for some nasty responses, same way as it did when they merged the executable files for M2TW. In this case however there will be no fix so you will end up with two permanently different modding versions.

You will probably be able to 'port' mods once it has been figured out what and where changes were made - same as it is relatively easy to port RTW to M2TW if you know how. Given the less then overwhelming mod support of the later games that could however take a while.

It remains to be seen if improved eye candy is enough for users to move from original to remastered and leaving established mods behind. I'll simply wait and watch, speculating based on teaser videos is pretty pointless. I have started modding with RTW when it got released - it will take a bit more then pretty pixels to do yet again a julii campaign My nightmare scenario where mods are concerned - getting the file format\principle they have in the newer versions instead of the well known, archaic text file coding. Because I have no clue how else a Steam workshop (click and auto install) will be workable.

RafSwi7's Avatar Content Staff
    Citizen

Oh, wow! This is totally unexpected

Looking forward to see all new stuff.

Wonder how hard it will be able to "convert" old mods to remastered version.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast