Thread: Diadochi - Alexander's Legacy (mod set at 272 BC during the Hellenistic period)

Default Diadochi - Alexander's Legacy (mod set at 272 BC during the Hellenistic period)

Diadochi is a mod set at 272 BC during the Hellenistic period. As of now THERE ARE NO REAL TIME BATTLES, on encounter battles are auto-resolved automatically by script.

Features:

- Campaign set at 272 BC
    - Improved AI
    - Scripts for immersion to help AI in finances and military
    - New traits and ancillaries to give the flavor of the era
    - Complex recruitment with a government system
    - Immersive strat models of the era
    - Complete overhaul to all interface stuff and audio for an immersive gameplay
    - 4 Turns per Year
    - Overhaul to almost everything
    - Functional Hot-Seat campaign

Factions:

- Makedonia
    - Epeiros
    - Ptolemaioi
    - Arche Seleukeia
    - Baktria
    - Pontos
    - Pergamon
    - Koinon Hellenon
    - Syrakousai
    - Kimmerios Bosporos
    - Roma
    - Maurya Samrajya
    - Hayastan
    - Pahlava
    - Sauromatae
    - Saka Rauka
    - Getai
    - Odrusai
    - Ardiaei
    - Malkuta Nabatu
    - Saba
    - Kush

Cultures:

- Western Greek
    - Eastern Greek
    - Roman
    - Indian
    - Eastern Imperial
    - Scythian
    - Western Tribal
    - Arabian
    - African

Credits:

- Rise of Persia for Rome TW (original campaign map)
    - De Bello Mundi (strat models, terrain textures)
    - Paeninsula Italica II (base interface)
    - Normal's Rome II Unit Icons (unit cards)
    - Mobjay's Rome II Golden Emblems (strat banner symbol)
    - Europa Barbarorum II (successor trait, wagon and trade ship strat models, mouse cursor, scripts)
    - PiterAI (AI)
    - z3n (Pathfinding)
    - Gigantus (Recruitment Limitation Script, other scripts)

DOWNLOAD

INSTALLATION:
    1- Extract to your Medieval II Total War\mods.
    2- Go to the new folder Diadochi_v09 in your Medieval II Total War\mods.
    3- Use the "Executable" batch file to launch the mod.
    4- Play and have fun.

If the game is opened in a small window do this:

Open Configuration.cfg with a text editor (preferably Notepad++) and you see this part:

[video]
    movies = 1
    windowed = 1 ## Windowed mode (windowed = 1) is usually more stable
    borderless_window = 1
    no_background_fmv = 1
    show_banners = true
    # widescreen = 1
    # unit_detail = high
    # grass_distance = 9000

Change windowed = 1 to windowed = 0

Then in game options chose the native resolution of your monitor, after that you can change to windowed = 1 again and you'll still have full screen.

How to create a shortcut to launch the mod from your desktop:

- Go to Diadochi_v09 folder, right click on the Executable file and chose "Create shortcut" and move the shortcut to the desktop.
    - Copy/paste the icon that is also in Diadochi_v09 folder to the desktop.
    - Right click on the shortcut you created, chose properties and "Change icon...", then chose "Browse..." and then chose Desktop, you should have the icon there, just chose the icon.
    - Rename your shortcut to whatever you want, for example: Diadochi
    - You can now launch the mod always from your desktop.

Screenshots:

Last edited by MagusCaligula; August 04, 2023 at 10:53 AM.

Default Re: Diadochi - Alexander's Legacy

reserved

Added new screenshots this time of the Romans.

I've finally finished the Roman factional roster and recruitment for the most part. The Romans required a lot of thought as they have early and late units as I've implemented a military reform that kind of simulate the Marian reforms.

The government system implemented in the mod is as follows: there is a government building tree with 3 tiers (levels). The base one can be built everywhere (for some factions it simply represents military occupation, in the case of the Romans it represents a Roman province. The middle tier represents mostly (although not completely) historical territory owned by a faction or at least territory that a faction have tried to conquer or had some political interest (in the case of the Romans it's an exception and represents the "Italian allies"). The top tier government represents mostly historical capitals from where elite units can be recruited, etc (Romans are again kind of and exception to this system). Where that top tier government can be built depends ofc on the faction. Anyway Romans are a bit of an exception and don't exactly follow these rules. (I'm thinking of an extra special tier for some factions but didn't decided on it yet)

So, essentialy before the reform you can recruit the classic Roman units (hastati, principes, velites, triarii, equites) from the top tier government which can be built in Roma and Luceria (although units have faster cooldown in Roma, can have more, etc). In the other regions in Italy you can only upgrade to the middle tier government and you can recruit Italian allied units. In Roman provinces you can recruit light units auxiliaries like skirmishers, archers, etc.

After the reform, the factional roster is replaced with a new one where you can recruit Roman legionaries all over Italy, while with the top tier government you can also recruit First Cohorts and in Rome exclusively you can recruit Praetorians both infantry and cavalry (they're unique units, can only have one). In Roman provinces besides the light units you can then recruit heavy auxiliary units (Auxilia from most provinces and Cavalry Auxilia from regions with cavalry tradition).

For the reform to trigger it's needed to have passed at least 120 turns and control at least 15 settlements including Roma.

Added screenshots from some of the "barbarian" factions.

The work on the unit rosters and recruitment continues, added some more screenshots.

The work on the mod continues, the focus have been completely on the unit rosters which is taking forever but it's getting close to be done, just need to finish the hellenisic factions now. I've been revising and adjusting units stats as more and more units are added to keep the balance right so what you see in the screenshots is just wip, many of the units have been reworked, the Roman Italian allied troops have been revised, also added some more regional stuff there.

Each faction should feel different as although the government building structure is similar they work in very different ways. Some factions rely more on factional units while others more on regional units, so playing different factions shall feel different. One of my concerns is making the AI very efficient both in recruitment and construction, AI shall have no problems with naval invasions, recruitment or building appropriate buildings. Also generals shall gather the armies efficiently.

The mod will have scripts to help AI with economy and recruitment. Also economy script for player based on % so that the game always feel somewhat challenging.

The gameplay design is similar to my other mods but with it's own tweaks. In comparison to the one I've used as the base (Aurei Imperii) I've fixed all bugs and stuff I missed that I found out. I've also improved in everything from graphics to audio, more buildings, more units, more immersive stuff, etc. Music playsets have now 8 different campaign immersive musics, so the double as before, also added a new playset. Loading screens there are now 70 different ones all with great art and high quality images so it never get boring staring at the screen Also lots of improvements to interface, from units and building icons and info images to events and little icons. So I think there is a big improvement in immersion. Also other improvements to textures for strat models, etc.

Looks fantastic man... Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis88 View Post
    Looks fantastic man... Keep it up!
    Thanks, already released

Diadochi - Alexander's Legacy is finally released!

This is the first version of the mod so some bugs are to be expected even though I'm not aware of anything relevant, if you find something that you think might be a bug, let me know. I've replaced the old wip screenshots with some final ones as a lot of stuff was redesigned and remade, etc.

There are some things I left for a future version like more factional traits and ancillaries, also more immersive events, etc.

DOWNLOAD

INSTALLATION:

2- Go to the new folder Diadochi in your Medieval II Total War\mods.
    4- Play and have fun.

Open Configuration.cfg with a text editor (preferably Notepad++) and you see this part:

[video]
    movies = 1
    borderless_window = 1
    no_background_fmv = 1
    show_banners = true
    # widescreen = 1
    # unit_detail = high
    # grass_distance = 9000

Then in game options chose the native resolution of your monitor, after that you can change to windowed = 1 again and you'll still have full screen.

Default Re: Diadochi - Alexander's Legacy (mod set at 272 BC during the Hellenistic period)

Fixed diplomacy text on diplomatic negotiations interface, also leveled up the greek diplomat audio as it seems I missed it when leveling the audio for characters, also corrected some other minor things I missed. As of now I'm not aware of any other bugs, report if you find some. I'll look into add some factional traits and ancillaries, also some more immersive dynamic events for the next version.

The next version shall come some time soon, but after that might be a long while since I do anything so need feedback on bugs, game balance, AI, etc so that everything is done already in the next version.

Default Re: Diadochi - Alexander's Legacy (mod set at 272 BC during the Hellenistic period)

Guys if the game crashes when starting a campaign, try this: go to the mod's game folder, then data, world, maps, base and delete map.rwm so that the game generates a new one. I doubt this will do anything but is always worth trying. With my others mods it happened the same to some also (with the exception of Hellenika for some reason) but I could never figure out the reason as most don't have any problems.

Diadochi v0.7 RELEASED

This is a really big update with a lot of new stuff and a ton of fixes and corrections. New ancillaries, traits, building trees, gameplay improvements, graphics improvements, fixes, text corrections, etc.

Changelog:

- New immersive ancillaries and new ancillary icons, overhaul to existing ancillaries and fixes to the triggers/new triggers.
    - New immersive traits, overhaul to existing traits and fixes to the triggers/new triggers.
    - New building trees and overhaul to existing ones (fixed errors in the log in the process).
    - Added generals to all starting rebel settlement garrisons with a hidden trait to stop them from get out of the city and also reinforced the garrisons so it shall be a bit harder to take those settlements.
    - Fixed text in the diplomacy scroll, leveled up the audio of the greek diplomat as it was too low.
    - Corrected wrong event images, overhauled some images.
    - Improved textures quality of strat models and of the little factions icons that show up in the scrolls.
    - New immersive events.
    - Tons of small improvements, fixes, text corrections (typos, bad english, overlooks).

DOWNLOAD

INSTALLATION:
    2- Go to the new folder Diadochi_v07 in your Medieval II Total War\mods.
    4- Play and have fun.

NOTE:
    As of now THERE ARE NO REAL TIME BATTLES, on encounter battles are auto-resolved automatically by script.

[video]
    movies = 1
    borderless_window = 1
    no_background_fmv = 1
    show_banners = true
    # widescreen = 1
    # unit_detail = high
    # grass_distance = 9000

Last edited by MagusCaligula; June 07, 2021 at 06:08 PM.

Since have now released this mod I would recommend contacting a moderator and have them move this thread here: Medieval II: Total War Modifications. That way people will know it is downloadable and ready to play. I think you would get much more traffic as well.

Yeah agreed with MIKE, you should really ask for this to get it's own thread under mods. It's seen 100x more than this forum. You should also ask for it to be shown on the front page as well. I'll check it out now, even though i won't have time to play it too much. Congrats again

Thanks for the interest, didn't check this thread for a while, I intended to release another version in the meanwhile but I ended up taking a break of modding and later worked on my other mods. Already asked someone to move it to the released mods.

Bump, so people can find.

Diadochi v0.8 RELEASED

Fixed lightning, new scripts, events and traits.

DOWNLOAD

INSTALLATION:
    2- Go to the new folder Diadochi_v08 in your Medieval II Total War\mods.
    4- Play and have fun.

[video]
    movies = 1
    borderless_window = 1
    no_background_fmv = 1
    show_banners = true
    # widescreen = 1
    # unit_detail = high
    # grass_distance = 9000

Diadochi v0.9 RELEASED

Reversed some scripts as the game would eventually crash, bug fixes.

DOWNLOAD