Thread: Castles vs Cities

Default Castles vs Cities

Hello,

Are there any pros and cons between choosing castles and cities? From my playthroughs Cities seem better in every way and they seem to offer the same units to recruit that castles do. I have read descriptions on buildings in game but I dont see any benefit besides castles being more defensives. Not sure if this is addressed somewhere else in forum but regardless thank you for reading.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Castles vs Cities

I don't know what benefits let's say pros and con's but they should represent the difference or status of a burg in Germany a free town, a castle is the Lords fiefdom the peasents and serfs being his responsibility. (far more complicated) free towns arose in a sense due to tax and merchant class, banking and loans. So the towns should be basis of trade and income. Castles are the Lords military focus. His feudal focus, depending on the culture and the way we understand feudalism today.

Miszel's Avatar Domesticus

For new version we split the recruitment to make make castles more militarily important but i like the idea of linking the goverment types to whether its a castle or city. When we start seriously working on redesign of goverment systems this would be a good addition that wouls make it more unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Miszel View Post
    For new version we split the recruitment to make make castles more militarily important but i like the idea of linking the goverment types to whether its a castle or city. When we start seriously working on redesign of goverment systems this would be a good addition that wouls make it more unique.
    That sounds great. It is difficult to explain or interpret what is we see in certain regions and what this big feudalism brush even means? Does it even apply in the "Balkans"? I would say not. Even in Hungary the notion of knightly chivalry and feudalism is absurd. At least that is how my current reading and understanding leads me believe

Quote Originally Posted by Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    I don't know what benefits let's say pros and con's but they should represent the difference or status of a burg in Germany a free town, a castle is the Lords fiefdom the peasents and serfs being his responsibility. (far more complicated) free towns arose in a sense due to tax and merchant class, banking and loans. So the towns should be basis of trade and income. Castles are the Lords military focus. His feudal focus, depending on the culture and the way we understand feudalism today.
    I think the OP was more asking in terms of in-game importance. As in which provides more money, more troop options, more unique buildings etc.

Indeed he was, and I said I do not know how med ii represents them and I can tell Tzardoms will not leave it so simply. So then I just suggested how it could be represented by the player.
    So knights castles, peasents and general military personnel cities/ burghs
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; June 03, 2021 at 11:56 AM.

Dont see a single reason your core territory should be castles since the units need so long to finally leave your area. If you dont have anyone able to threaten that province or have it be too far away from the action, then just make it a city.