Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Submod] Etruscan Units

Default [Submod] Etruscan Units

Hey, since I'm a big fan of the etruscans in general but their roster in DeI is a bit lacking I decided to take matters into my own hands and make a few new units.

This is not really historical, as about half of the units are 'late' ones that are more of a ' what if Rome never conquered Rasenna ' thing.
    I took some inspiration from this guy who has some sources too for anyone who is interested and speaks italian:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/146479/etruscan-league-proposal-for-an-accurate-army-re-styling

So here are the units:

Two-handed axemen, which were historically tasked with striking the spears of the enemy hoplite formation. By the start time of DeI they were not in use anymore but I think they're a fun addition, especially with the rosters present in italy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210323221339_1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	542.4 KB 
ID:	364405
    Reformed etruscan swordsmen; a 'what if'-unit. Similar to the AOR unit in italy but with more etruscan equipment/looks.

Name:	20210323115541_1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	669.9 KB 
ID:	364406
    Etruscan mounted skirmishers; Basically Hippakontistai, just with etruscan equipment/looks.

Name:	20210323115528_1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	765.7 KB 
ID:	364407
    Etruscan citizen cavalry; similar to their greek counterpart but equipped with a few javelins like the Etruscan noble cav.

Name:	20210323115507_1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	826.1 KB 
ID:	364408
    Etruscan axemen; an alternative to the ensiferi italici. Similar stats but a bit more offensively oriented.

Name:	20210323115450_1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	686.5 KB 
ID:	364409
    Reformed etruscan axemen; an alternative to the reformed etruscan swordsmen. Similar stats again but less disciplined and more offensive.

Name:	20210323115445_1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	837.1 KB 
ID:	364410

The mod will need All Factions Playable:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=370817535

There's two versions:
    One to use with just DeI and AFP 4TPY:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2260140270

and one with all costs scaled to Alternative Economy levels:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2252316070

You can find Alternative Economy here:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...onomy-versions

Default Re: [Submod] Etruscan Units

I think Etruscans have much more potential to them since they are supposed to die by 10 turns in the game u can make a lot of what if changes to them. Since they were Greek admirers and adopted Greek tactics maybe push them more towards it. Idk about how much they used axe (I just heard swords and spear were common) but maybe instead of reformed axeman, why not thueros axemen? I am sure if they had lived long enough they would have even copied that. Similarly a pike unit after reforms. Then u can maybe reform thier aristocratic cav to maybe a lance cav. Chariots were commonly used by them but generally were used for travel and games, but they eventually started employing them in their army. U can also reform their nobel spears to noble hoplite guard. They have a lot more potential to them I think and u can take a lot liberties again because they always die as soon as the game starts (even historically)

Hey, thanks for the ideas!
    Axemen are actually mentionend in every single text I found about the etruscan miltary, so I think they should definitely have them. Maybe the late axemen could be changed to be an armored version of the two-handed axemen, since I've read a lot about "armored axemen with two-handed axes".
    I don't want to give the thureos to any unit since it was not really used in (northern) italy from what I can tell. The scutum was invented somewhere in italy long before the romans adopted it so I think it makes more sense to use that.

Chariots were not used in warfare anymore at the period of DeI, and I just don't think they work that well in Rome 2

Again I would say, the roster should be generic till theuros reform but should be completely what if post reforms and u will have to imagine as if the player as conquered Italy till now (no need to worry about ai, ai Etruscans don't stay more than 10 turns) so it's no longer about northern Italy. The main advantage of theuros was it was really cheap while light weight and gave better protection from the smaller Italian shield which would be really good for an offensive axeman. And Etruscans were become more Hellenistic day by day during this time so makes sense to push them towards more Greek stuff

Cool mod, giving etruscans two handed axes is just enough to make them feel distinct amidst their surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by Livin La Vida Loca View Post
    Cool mod, giving etruscans two handed axes is just enough to make them feel distinct amidst their surroundings.
    Thanks! If you play the etruscans also check out my newer mod which combines the new units and new visuals for the old units:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2471025857

A superb mod, just started a campaign yesterday!
    Love your visuals, DEI team should integrate the new roster into their next update.

Etruria is small but unique in culture and a very challenging faction to play!
    Last edited by Romaion; June 15, 2021 at 09:23 AM.
    ​VICTORIOSO SEMPER

Quote Originally Posted by Romaion View Post
    A superb mod, just started a campaign yesterday!
    Love your visuals, DEI team should integrate the new roster into their next update.

Etruria is small but unique in culture and a very challenging faction to play!
    Thanks! Check out my newer mod that has everything in one place.
    I'm not updating the older versions anymore!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2471025857

I already got your all in one Mod!
    ​VICTORIOSO SEMPER

Hi! Great work, your sabmod was asked to translate for Russian-speaking players Divide et Impera! I have several questions:
    - is it necessary to install your sabmods "Divide et Impera - Etruscan Expansion Pack" and "Divide et Impera - Etruscan Units" simultaneously (or subscribe to them on Steam)?
    - in your post you wrote that you will not update old versions of the sabmod - this applies to "Divide et Impera - Etruscan Expansion Pack" or "Divide et Impera - Etruscan Units"?

Etruscan Expansion pack already includes etruscan units, that's why you only need that one mod

Quote Originally Posted by gesuntight View Post
    Etruscan Expansion pack already includes etruscan units, that's why you only need that one mod
    Thank you, then I recommend that Russian-speaking players leave the "Etruscan Expansion pack" submod (there are more units).

Gesuntight, have you made an update for the etruscan archers?
    I saw a picture on steam, where they now wear some armor, in my actual campaign the didn't (last played 30th of June.
    ​VICTORIOSO SEMPER

Quote Originally Posted by Romaion View Post
    Gesuntight, have you made an update for the etruscan archers?
    I saw a picture on steam, where they now wear some armor, in my actual campaign the didn't (last played 30th of June.
    Hey, I changed the archers since I had in the description that they are recruited from the nobility, but after doing some research again (and asking the dev of Rise of Rome 666) I realised I must've misread somewhere and the Etruscans actually used archers from the lower classes like most other mediterranean peoples.
    So I changed it back but forgot to remove the screenshots again.

I put in the right screenshots again, thanks for pointing it out!
    Last edited by gesuntight; July 02, 2021 at 05:34 AM.

Obvious question, does this work with the Rise of the Republic campaign?

Yes it does

Hi gesuntight,

Is your great sub mod ready and compatible for the actual DEI version?

Romaion
    ​VICTORIOSO SEMPER

It should be up to date.
    If you find any issues though you can leave a comment here or on steam and I'll have a look.

Hi!Thank you for your mod.
    Noticed that etruscans have not an option to offer become a client state in diplomacy.
    And also it would be great if you can add some of their late units testudo ability

Quote Originally Posted by gesuntight View Post
    It should be up to date.
    If you find any issues though you can leave a comment here or on steam and I'll have a look.
    I just started a new campaign with Etruria, conquering Mediolanum as my base to march back against the romans later.
    I noticed, that in the politics all the names of the Political forms are missing.

So you have the Button showing the actual political form, in my case Oligarchy (the button is empty) only when hovering over the button, the side description shows the details and stating that it’s an oligarchy. When pressing the button and going to the change politics site, also there all the forms are without description.

I guess its only a visual Problem, but not sure if it comes from the Etruscan mod…

I will do a screenshot during my next game.
    ​VICTORIOSO SEMPER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast