Thread: How do Settlement Titles work??

Default How do Settlement Titles work??

I have been playing this mod for some time and I still haven't been able to figure out how on earth do titles work or how they are given to lords. This is because I cannot understand or be able to find a pattern on how the buildings work, the difference between them and whether in fact this is so far a bugged/unfinished feature of the mod and I'm struggling without reason. This applies for lords estates etc and in my case their counterpart Pronoia because I have been playing the Roman Empire a lot. There seems to be complete inconsistency between Pronoia, Large Pronoia and Huge Pronoia where often a settlement end up gives 0 titles or to any lord and ends up bugging settlements and ruining the game.
    Pronoia says gives Minor Title
    Large Pronoia gives Major Title
    Huge Pronoia gives Imperial Title
    (even though often I have no clue how to tell titles apart)
    Does settlement size also play a role in the titles received? or just the buildings?

For example:
    Constantinople begins at the start of the game with Large Pronoia and gives a very fancy title of "sevastokrator of Konstantinoupolis" to some random dude. Is this an imperial title? What happens if one upgrades the building to Huge Pronoia? Will a character still be able to receive the title or now a different one? Will it bug the settlement?
    Another Example:
    Raidestos starts the game with Pronoia and all lords always receive "Doux of Thrace Theme" which sounds like an Imperial title and over 100 turns in the game I never happened to upgrade it. Not to mention I think in the previous version of the mod this title was received in Hadrianoupolis and Raidestos had it's own. Why does a simple Pronoia give a title that is definitely not minor?
    Also I have tried to discover in other regions such Doux titles of other themes but none like it seem to exist.
    Meanwhile Hadrianoupolis has a simple Pronoia and over 100 turns in the game it never gave any title to any lord even though I'm certain in the previous version it did. Does it need to be upgraded because it's a large city?
    Didymoteichon has had a Large Pronoia and always gave the minor title of Didymoteichon.

Another example:
    Corinth or "Corint" as in the game was conquered from the rebels and Cetines(Athens) from the duchy of Athens by the same general. A Pronoia was build in Corinth and he received "Kephale of Corinth". There was already a pronoia/lords estates in Athens and he received nothing. It was upgraded to large pronoia he received nothing. It was then upgraded to Huge Pronoia and he still received nothing. Since I had little to lose I demolished the building and build a Pronoia from scratch and he still received nothing. Is this normal? Because I'm certain in the previous version I happened to conquer Athens before and I had definitely received something. Now it's bugged.
    Same story with Mystras. It was conquered as a fortress with a large pronoia from the Kantakouzenos and never gave anything, even in the previous version it did. I upgraded it to Huge Pronoia no general ever received anything. Even though before being conquered I had used a spy and a Katakouzenos general had the title of Mystras. Why can't I have it?

Another example:
    Christoupolis and Serrai had always been next to each other with a large Pronoia in both of them. Every time a lord enters Christoupolis he receives the minor title of Christoupolis and every time he enters Serrai which has the exact same building he receives nothing. They are also both cities.

Another example:
    Ioannina and Corfu was conquered by a general who had the title of Doux. A small pronoia was build in both Corfu and Ioannina and he received nether titles. Another lord comes along and he received the minor title in Corfu but not in Ioannina. The Pronoia was upgraded to large in Ioannina and he received the title of Despot of Epirus. If characters then have a higher level title they cannot receive anything else? Do certain territories only provide specific titles for specific levels? Is Despot an intermediate title then?

Another Example:
    Bursa or "Prusa" was conquered from the ottomans. It was a large city with a Hass which is the same as Huge Pronoia. It says it gives an imperial title but it never gave anything.

I could go on with further examples but it might be endless and make this way too long. My main concern is does upgrading the Pronoias prematurely is wrong, and whether it ends up bugging settlements. I'm afraid to upgrade now cause I do not want some of my settlements to end up being bugged like Athens. And I would really like some help in understanding whether perhaps I have been playing the title game all wrong from the start because I do not wish to continue playing if I'm doing it all wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by oorestis; March 23, 2021 at 12:56 PM.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: How do Settlement Titles work??

Quote Originally Posted by oorestis View Post
    I have been playing this mod for some time and I still haven't been able to figure out how on earth do titles work or how they are given to lords. This is because I cannot understand or be able to find a pattern on how the buildings work, the difference between them and whether in fact this is so far a bugged/unfinished feature of the mod and I'm struggling without reason. This applies for lords estates etc and in my case their counterpart Pronoia because I have been playing the Roman Empire a lot. There seems to be complete inconsistency between Pronoia, Large Pronoia and Huge Pronoia where often a settlement end up gives 0 titles or to any lord and ends up bugging settlements and ruining the game.
    Pronoia says gives Minor Title
    Large Pronoia gives Major Title
    Huge Pronoia gives Imperial Title
    (even though often I have no clue how to tell titles apart)
    Have a quick read of this guide (it appears on mod start up too) https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post15943136

Settlement size has absolutely no bearing on the title. 95% of settlements just have minor titles. All you need for them is basic feudal estates and to spend 1 turn in the settlement with your general. That's it.

Upgrading to large estates or huge estates will only give you a title if it exists in that settlement. Very few settlements on the map have major and imperial titles. The point of upgrading the feudal estates building is not to get better titles but get access to the better units of the feudal system.

For the Romans all you need really to worry about is minor titles and the Roman Emperor title. The other major titles are Doux titles for various themes but these are only partially implemented. Only a couple of them exist. There is about 2 other major titles (Despot of Epirus - Ioannina and Despot of Morea - Mystras) but these have not yet been explained so you will only get them if you randomly achieve the requirements.

Not sure what you mean about ruining the game? There are not ctds or bugs related to the titles.

Quote Originally Posted by oorestis View Post
    Constantinople begins at the start of the game with Large Pronoia and gives a very fancy title of "sevastokrator of Konstantinoupolis" to some random dude. Is this an imperial title? What happens if one upgrades the building to Huge Pronoia? Will a character still be able to receive the title or now a different one? Will it bug the settlement?
    No, sevastokrator of Konstantinoupolis is not an imperial title. It's just a minor title. An imperial title is well...emperor. There are only like 3 imperial titles (roman emperor - in Constantinople, holy roman emperor - Vienna/Rome, sultan - in Constantinople). So to get an imperial title you only ever need a huge estate in Constantinople and in Vienna. But as mentioned above the point of upgrading the estates is not for the titles but rather for the

There is no such thing as bugging a settlement. You can upgrade the feudal estates (pronoias) all you want, it will not prevent you from getting a title.

If you have a settlement that is roman, has a feudal estates built and you have a general in it and does not get the title it simply means that either that settlement does not have a title (a few don't) or that there is a coding issue with that title. For example, Serrai is bugged because the name of the settlement was changed at one point between Serres/Serrai. The title is coded to the old name so you will never be able to get it.

For Corinth you already got everything which is the Kephale of Corinth. Athens has no minor title, it's not bugget at all. There is a theme title there (Doux of Hellas Theme) which has some complicated requirements (that's what you got in the previous version, it's still there) but which have not yet been explained as the theme system is still work in progress. So don't worry about the theme titles yet until the whole system is finished and properly implemented and explained.

For Mystras there is no minor title. But that is where you get the title of Despot of Morea - but it requires you to already have Kephale of Corinth, Kephale of Patras, Kephale of Andravida, Kephale Modon. And again, don't worry about it yet as it has not been explained.

For Adrianople again there is no minor title. There is a Doux of Makedonia theme there which has not been explained how to get it, so you randomly achieved the requirements for it.

Also, the titles are just an added bonus to the game for players that enjoy role-playing and having some extra fun (and some nice bonuses). You are not 'playing the game wrong'. In fact you can just as easily completely ignore the title system and play the mod as if they didn't exist.

JohnD18's Avatar Libertus

Why Andreville has not title? Andreville was the Capital of Principallity of Achaea. Maybe the title Prince of Achaea must be add.

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

You can get Prince of Achea in Andreville, but the requirements are that you hold all these titles:

Baron of Corinth
    Baron of Patras
    Baron of Kalamanta (Modon)
    Baron of Geraki (Mystras)

Ok thanks for the help guys, just saw it now, also thanks Jursek you also helped me understand that titles cannot be gained unless a single character has those 4 specific titles as you gave in your example, otherwise if you are in a specific settlement you will never get anything.Seems that is how the entire system always worked. It's weird I thought it was bugged/unfinished lol.
    No Walllachian I never got CTD's I thought I was building stuff I shouldn't have been building and was causing some kind of bug as I progressed in the game. At the start of the game you would see all kinds of character with all these fancy titles and bonuses and as the game progressed, they died eventually and I could not get those titles again and I thought I had corrupted the save file somehow. I thought it was an unfinished part of the mod because it was just released but I guess it was all completely finished and well polished, thank you.
    Last edited by oorestis; July 24, 2021 at 07:49 AM.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Ok great to hear that the system is working.

I think the big problem is that we don't have a complete documentation for every single title. Unfortunately there is simply no time available to do this due to other modding work and of course real life.

I have created a documentation guide but it is still incomeplete. It only shows the required ancillaries for Serbia, Bulgaria, Wallachia and Moldova https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post15943136 But the idea is that settlements are different some have ancillaries that area easy to get if you just spend 1 turn, others require you to have other ancillaries too. But keep in mind it's not necessary for the same character to have all the required ancillaries, but rather for any character in your faction to have them.

But just a small thing to note. The settlement titles are not actually part of the core experience of the mod. They are just a nice role-playing addition we created so that the players have more fun. The bonuses of the titles are not as great as to majorly influence the game. You can just as easily play the mod and completely ignore the title system if you want. Just as like the AI does. The AI does not understand the titles, they only get the starting ones but does not know how to get other ones, they only happen to get them if they achieve the requirements by mistake.

Hello, I have a little problem, none of my Croatian Generals can get the Zagreb title why I have built my estates and none of them gets the title, please help