Thread: potential successor hasn't worked a single time

Default potential successor hasn't worked a single time

The heir has always become the eldest son of my FL. Is the successor only relevant if the FL has no living children?

Default Re: potential successor hasn't worked a single time

Unfortunately so. First priority goes to the FH's sons, then the FL's. Only after those two lines of succession are out of the picture does the potential successor become FH, and even then it might not be 100%. The potential successor trait gives a hidden boost to Authority, a stat that all FMs have. It's possible for a non-potential successor to have high hidden Authority because you've won too many battles with him. As a result he'll become the FH

Default Re: potential successor hasn't worked a single time

As shoebopp it's indeed about authority and the ancillary is only an added buff to authority, in my experience I've always had a success because once I identify the 3rd in line he becomes my principal general so that his authority improves just as you would for a faction leader with low authority.

For anyone more knowledgable out there is influence a factor in the calculus of authorority or is it just battles?
    "To pillage, to butcher and to despoil, they call the false name "Empire" and where they make a desolation they call it peace."
    Calgacus, leader of the Caledonians: C. Cornelius Tacitus, Agricola 30.5