Thread: Tale of the Week 297: Troy - WINNER'S CIRCLE!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Tale of the Week 297: Troy - WINNER'S CIRCLE!

Creative Workshop Competitions - Check out our sister competitions here on TWC! << Picture & Video Competitions | Tale of the Week | Writers' Study General Competitions | Graphics Workshop Competition >>

Troy

Blick auf das brennende Troja (View of Troy burning) by J G Trautmann (from Wikimedia Commons)

This has been a fantastic competition, with three excellent entries, and all three writers should be congratulated. However, there is but one winner, and it is my huge pleasure to offer special congratulations to King Athelstan on his win! He receives a Writers' Study competition point, and now has a total of four. If you didn't have chance to read his evocative and powerful winning submission, you can read it below:

TotW 297: Troy - WINNING SUBMISSION The fire raged inside. Oh, how it burned so very sweet. Burning, ready to turn everything to ash. Who cared about the consequences? No one could defend against it. The faint smell of filthy smoke started to rise, and with it came the echoing screams. Soaring through the sky, reaching out into an empty void, clamouring for an escape. But there was none. They had betrayed her, and the flame she felt inside. Or had she betrayed them? It was of no matter now. Those she loved were dead. Those who loved her had lost that love long ago. The fire was the only thing she felt now. Filling her completely. Coursing through her veins. So very sweet.

She paid no attention to the hands reaching out for her. She paid no attention to the crying, to those sobbing at her feet. White robes turned black and black eyes turned white. Slowly, she kept moving, fire radiating from her soul. The screams had stopped. The noise of burning timber seemed but a distant memory. And so, she came upon the altar. Her lungs filled with air, air filled with ash and fire and death. It had all come to this. No more. Her fire was fueled by all those who had done this to her. And so, she broke the fourth seal. It seemed so anticlimactic. The fire just stopped. She felt nothing. She heard nothing. The blaze that just a moment ago threatened to engulf the chapter house had vanished. Only charred wood remained. Charred wood and death. She could not understand. The pain wasn’t there, only emptiness. Could she not have salvation? She laughed for the first time, a shrilling, deafening laughter full of pure emotion. Finally, she turned, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him.

Thank you to everyone who submitted an entry for this competition, and thank you also to everyone who voted - you all make this competition possible.

TotW 297: Submission thread | Voting thread |

Our current TotW competition is TotW 298: Enter the Void. All the details about entering, including the keywords and rules, can be found by clicking on the link!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Tale of the Week 297: Troy - WINNER'S CIRCLE!

Congratulations to King Athelstan - I agree, this is an evocative tale - and thanks to Caillagh for running the competition!

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Congrats KA! A wonderful tale. Thanks Caillagh for running the show

Congratulations are indeed in order. This was a beautiful and unforgiving tale, two things that are excellent when put together well. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Thanks a lot guys, glad to see this getting back on track <3
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman