Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ‘Soup Nazi’ joke is no longer funny, a restaurateur learns - After an outcry, the owner of the new Soup Nazi Kitchen in downtown Everett is changing the name.

Default Re: ‘Soup Nazi’ joke is no longer funny, a restaurateur learns - After an outcry, the owner of the new Soup Nazi Kitchen in downtown Everett is changing the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    No, not innate, just learned at a very early stage, and in-group bias would only be a product of evolution if it was tied to sharing the same genes rather than to whom you saw first as a baby.
    A preference for the familiar can only be explained by learning to the extent that what one finds familiar is partially environmental. The tendency to gravitate toward the familiar in the first place is innate.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: ‘Soup Nazi’ joke is no longer funny, a restaurateur learns - After an outcry, the owner of the new Soup Nazi Kitchen in downtown Everett is changing the name.

Now that is an entirely different statement, because what is "familiar" is subject to early life learning processes, so I guess we have to come to a wording we can both support.

Will you help me pick up Ponti? He fell off the discursive cart.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Np, it's innate. Animals exhibit the same behavior. This is especially true of our primate kin. Chimps will literally tear apart any chimp they do not know that wanders into their territory.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Np, it's innate. Animals exhibit the same behavior. This is especially true of our primate kin. Chimps will literally tear apart any chimp they do not know that wanders into their territory.
    Spot the difference. Last I checked life on earth had not developed genetic memory yet.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Chimps will literally tear apart any chimp they do not know that wanders into their territory.
    Reject modernity, return to Monke!
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345