Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good guides on Arche Seleukia?

Default Any good guides on Arche Seleukia?

Anyone got a link to a good AS guide? Looks pretty intimidating.

Default Re: Any good guides on Arche Seleukia?

I am currently trialing an AS playthrough for 2.35A (On the cusp of the Thorakitai Reforms). It is indeed a tough campaign early on with a 3 front war (West Anatolia, Kolie-Syria and the Upper Satrapies) with potentially more trouble on the way from Taksashila advancing from Arachosia and Gedrosia and the Nabataens coming from Bostra and Tadmur. But things will get significantly easier once these fronts have been stabilized and you have set up a few mines in the right places. I will put up a faction guide for them soon (When time permits me to do so...).

The guide is up on the Faction Difficulties thread as promised.

Hey Realm56, both you and Shoebopp keep posting guides about 2.35A patch, are you guys beta-testers or am I blind? Because I can't find the new version and only the 2.35 version is available in the post of QS "EB2 release 2.35".
    "To pillage, to butcher and to despoil, they call the false name "Empire" and where they make a desolation they call it peace."
    Calgacus, leader of the Caledonians: C. Cornelius Tacitus, Agricola 30.5

In a nutshell:

-Recruit the Katapeltai and Oxybeleis in Antiocheia turn 1 in order to trivialize large town sieges in Asia Minor and Syria
    -Demolish the Foreign Settler Colonies for mine investment capital and prevention of cultural decline
    -Pray to Seleukos Nikator not to get burnt out by constant warfare by turn 60.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdgriffin View Post
    Hey Realm56, both you and Shoebopp keep posting guides about 2.35A patch, are you guys beta-testers or am I blind? Because I can't find the new version and only the 2.35 version is available in the post of QS "EB2 release 2.35".
    The 2.35A Patch is close to release, the both of us had the opportunity to put the patch through its paces and help iron out any lingering issues before release, when that day is exactly I cannot say for sure.

The guide for 2.35A has already been publicly released by Torf with the following link:

https://www.mundusbellicus.fr/forum/...35a#post599584
    Last edited by realm56; April 02, 2021 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zrehgen Aswar View Post
    In a nutshell:

-Recruit the Katapeltai and Oxybeleis in Antiocheia turn 1 in order to trivialize large town sieges in Asia Minor and Syria
    -Demolish the Foreign Settler Colonies for mine investment capital and prevention of cultural decline
    -Pray to Seleukos Nikator not to get burnt out by constant warfare by turn 60.
    lol, I did none of these things and still came out of turn 60 just fine

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    The 2.35 Patch is close to release, the both of us had the oppotunity to put the patch through its paces and help iron out any lingering issues before release, when that day is exactly I cannot say for sure.

The guide for 2 35A has already been publicly released by Torf with the following link:

Thank you for your swift answer
    "To pillage, to butcher and to despoil, they call the false name "Empire" and where they make a desolation they call it peace."
    Calgacus, leader of the Caledonians: C. Cornelius Tacitus, Agricola 30.5

The 2.35A Patch is close to release, the both of us had the opportunity to put the patch through its paces and help iron out any lingering issues before release, when that day is exactly I cannot say for sure.

The guide for 2.35A has already been publicly released by Torf with the following link:

That link appears to have been taken down unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Thank you! Hopefully it won't be long before I can put it to good use.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I would make a guide because frankly I always campaign as the Seleukids. But I try to stick to history and have therefore my own house rules. The house rules actually appear contradictory to game-play ie winning! From time to time I actually give land, money and cheat on behalf of the AI

Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; April 05, 2021 at 10:13 AM.

It honestly hasn't been as terrifying as people have made it out to be, though perhaps I did some things that would be considered "cheating". I basically just bumrushed Egypt (which seems justifiable given they were Seleucids greatest foe) and then I gave up territory to Baktria to protect me from having to go to war with Pahvlava which seemed justifiable since they are supposed to be my warden in the east. I flat out abandoned Anatolia in order to escape that show and give me more resources to deal with Egypt. I managed to wipe out Egypt with borderline ease (keeping in mind they still have their holdings in Anatolia) but then got into a pretty decent struggle with Nak almost immediately afterwards. Baktria and Takshila eventually betrayed me but I think the Indian AI may have broken (I guess a lucky break) because they were rarely aggressive after I walled them off in India. Hayastan, Baktria and Sabia then declared war on me. Sabia conflict was prolonged but not particularly challenging, Hayastan I managed to beat with some defensive sieges and then they peaced out, Baktria and I sparred some before peacing out. I then moved on India which was a massive pain in the ass and a mistake because they are so tough to occupy. Had to fight Sabia, Hayastan, Baktria round 2. Managed to occupy the big 3 in India before the Indian AI Seemed to break even further and just turtled golden mountain while sending small stacks from Sagala and attacking Opiana from Gisnar which was easily repulsed. After peacing Sabia and Hayastan I fought a pretty brutal war trying to get to Baktria while also fending off Pahlava in defensive sieges. Took Baktria and peaced out. Finished off Takashila. Perg which so helpfully finished off Egypt then invaded me from Anatolia. Which brings us to present day where I am waging war with Sabia, Pahlava, and Perg. My reputation is trash so everyone hates me so I doubt Hayastan is too far behind and eventually Baktria will probably come at me or fail and I'll have to ward off Saka. Definitely a lot of foes but a the same time my economy is so bumping at this point I can literally field large armies on all 3 fronts so there isn't much to be worried about anymore.

The guide is up on the Faction Difficulties thread as promised.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shlazaor View Post
    It honestly hasn't been as terrifying as people have made it out to be, though perhaps I did some things that would be considered "cheating". I basically just bumrushed Egypt (which seems justifiable given they were Seleucids greatest foe) and then I gave up territory to Baktria to protect me from having to go to war with Pahvlava which seemed justifiable since they are supposed to be my warden in the east. I flat out abandoned Anatolia in order to escape that show and give me more resources to deal with Egypt. I managed to wipe out Egypt with borderline ease (keeping in mind they still have their holdings in Anatolia) but then got into a pretty decent struggle with Nak almost immediately afterwards. Baktria and Takshila eventually betrayed me but I think the Indian AI may have broken (I guess a lucky break) because they were rarely aggressive after I walled them off in India. Hayastan, Baktria and Sabia then declared war on me. Sabia conflict was prolonged but not particularly challenging, Hayastan I managed to beat with some defensive sieges and then they peaced out, Baktria and I sparred some before peacing out. I then moved on India which was a massive pain in the ass and a mistake because they are so tough to occupy. Had to fight Sabia, Hayastan, Baktria round 2. Managed to occupy the big 3 in India before the Indian AI Seemed to break even further and just turtled golden mountain while sending small stacks from Sagala and attacking Opiana from Gisnar which was easily repulsed. After peacing Sabia and Hayastan I fought a pretty brutal war trying to get to Baktria while also fending off Pahlava in defensive sieges. Took Baktria and peaced out. Finished off Takashila. Perg which so helpfully finished off Egypt then invaded me from Anatolia. Which brings us to present day where I am waging war with Sabia, Pahlava, and Perg. My reputation is trash so everyone hates me so I doubt Hayastan is too far behind and eventually Baktria will probably come at me or fail and I'll have to ward off Saka. Definitely a lot of foes but a the same time my economy is so bumping at this point I can literally field large armies on all 3 fronts so there isn't much to be worried about anymore.
    The three scripted armies that spawn for the Ptolemaioi didn't give you any trouble when you rushed them?

Not that I recall? I'm honestly not sure I remember any armies spawning, I just remember zerging Alexandria and Memphis with everything I could get my hands on it and it working out pretty well. Nab right after was a bit tough because I was so drained but in the end it wasn't too bad. Honestly occupying India and waring with Baktria were much more difficult foes. Baktria in particular seemed to spam stacks with ease. I managed to fend off Pavlaha and Haystan almost exclusively with garrison armies and then one reinforcement army to chase off the post-siege armies. I wouldn't describe the war with Sabia difficult, just a grind, I seem to chew up most of what they throw at me but unlike Hayastan and Pahlava they keep coming with more frequency. Right now my biggest problem is just stability and waging war on so many fronts, which I suppose, is the hallmark of a Seleucid campaign.
    Last edited by Shlazaor; April 12, 2021 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shlazaor View Post
    Not that I recall? I'm honestly not sure I remember any armies spawning, I just remember zerging Alexandria and Memphis with everything I could get my hands on it and it working out pretty well.
    And you're definitely playing 2.35A? There are three full stacks that spawn if you take Akko (not all at once, but in a sequence); there are two if you go direct for Alexandreia.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    And you're definitely playing 2.35A? There are three full stacks that spawn if you take Akko (not all at once, but in a sequence); there are two if you go direct for Alexandrea.
    Those armies can be difficult to take on, especially if you took heavy casualties from assaulting Akko/Alexandria and/or suffered badly at the hands of any one of the scripted armies sent to relieve these settlements in addition to the other armies the AI already sends to defend these 2 locations.

Those armies can be difficult to take on, especially if you took heavy casualties from assaulting Akko/Alexandria and/or suffered badly at the hands of any one of the scripted armies sent to relieve these settlements in addition to the other armies the AI already sends to defend these 2 locations.
    Which is the idea, the Ptolemaioi shouldn't be easily blitzed.

I should add those two sets of spawns are an either/or, they don't both happen. Either you get strong resistaince if you take Akko and then proceed down into Egypt, or if you go direct to Alexandreia, you get a couple of spawned stacks that respond.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Which is the idea, the Ptolemaioi shouldn't be easily blitzed.

I should add those two sets of spawns are an either/or, they don't both happen. Either you get strong resistance if you take Akko and then proceed down into Egypt, or if you go direct to Alexandreia, you get a couple of spawned stacks that respond.
    I guess I gave that particular tidbit justice in my guide. There is one point I wanted to bring up. What is the punishment for naughty satraps who run afoul of the Basileos for minting coins in their own image instead of their liege?
    Last edited by realm56; April 13, 2021 at 05:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast