Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Submod] Ardua Roma - a Challenging rome - Updated

Icon1 [Submod] Ardua Roma - a Challenging rome - Updated

Hello everyone!
    As you all how easy is rome to play as but is such an interesting faction. Due to this reason many people just never play rome.
    This mod aims to fix this and does a few some what historic changes to make them much more challenging.
    Update list :
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Update 1.1
    i) Fixed the Roman general dying bug, by completely removing that mechanic. You no longer start with one less General
    ii) made lucanian start with more units
    iii) removed the latium eco nerfs since dei latest patch already did those
    iv) Some minor changes so that dei files are not effected for better performance

1. Starting positions
    The dei rome starts with cosentia and arenium. However, the time period at which dei starts, rome hadn't captured cosentia and same with arenium. Thus I have given cosentia to lucanians and arenium to Etruria. Thus rome starts off a lot weaker

2. Latin income bonuses
    Idk, latin just overbuffed and is the richest province for no particular reason. Also roma no longer allows u to spam 5- 6 unit recruitment per turn

3. Unit rework
    Many late game units especially legionaries are much more expensive, have higher upkeep and have 2 turn recruitment. This is because till now roman units came from richer families and used to have their own equipment and etc. But legions were the very opposite and 3 rd pop really made them really strong unit and to control it I made them 2 turn with them being much more expensive. Triarii also are 2 turn unit now.

4. Diplomatic stuff
    Lot of behind the scenes works to make rome feel overall even more tough

Recommend difficulty : new to some experience player should go with normal but veterans can go hard to very hard. Battle difficulty should stay normal

Recommend party : nobilies

Note : the effects only come when u are playing as rome else rome will start normally but would still recommend not using it when playing with other factions since it hurts ai quite a bit by latin income nerf and 2 turn recruitment

Definately recommended mod
    Age of hellinisation mod
    Why? Makes Hellenistic faction a lot stronger providing u a challenge in mid to late game (remember to put it below this mod)

Other fun mods to use with this
    Revised victory condition
    Reasource redistributied
    AAA Rome
    Government screen ui

Feel free to suggest bugs, changes, ideas or other recommend mods for better rome experience

Links :
    Main mod:
    https://www.mediafire.com/download/3fp2h7xxayaq4wx

Age of hellinisation :
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...lenism-for-DEI

Revised victory condition :
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...s-and-Chapters

Redistributied reasource :
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...29&searchtext=

Benjin Aaa:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1415360013

Government screen ui :
    https://www.mediafire.com/download/3fp2h7xxayaq4wx

Should be be save compatible but have not tried it so not sure

Dei Bug (potentially)
    ascullum garrison sometimes doesn't want to fight in naval battles this could potentially lead to epirus just taking it away with their starting navy

Potential plans
    Make illyarian pirate raiding a lot more common after 30 turns by the time u might have conquered most

Thanks to Jake for letting me use his region transfer script
    Thanks to dei in general for such a wonderful modEnjoy!
    Last edited by Sergeant Meme Swaraj; April 10, 2021 at 03:38 PM.

Default Re: [Submod] Ardua Roma - a Challenging rome

This looks super interesting and is perfect for my latest Roma campaign. Also, does that Government Screen UI still work okay with all of the latest changes?

Yes, it probably will never need an update

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

you are overwriting building_effects_junction_tables, effect_bundles_to_effects_junctions_tables, main_units_tables
    you'll probably need to make updates sooner or late

... and the scripts will only work if player is rome, not sure if it's as you intended it

also... you're leaving those gen_lucani spawns... they are useless in your pack but shouldn't mess with anything at the end
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; March 14, 2021 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    you are overwriting building_effects_junction_tables, effect_bundles_to_effects_junctions_tables, main_units_tables
    you'll probably need to make updates sooner or late

... and the scripts will only work if player is rome, not sure if it's as you intended it

also... you're leaving those gen_lucani spawns... they are useless in your pack but shouldn't mess with anything at the end
    The first part, I probably forgot to had the dash and I will so update it
    The second part is intended. if the player still wants to have some challenge vs rome they can have it with nerfed latium. In my test cases rome actually died by turn 28 in one of my three test cases and other two cases it got its strong position after 32 turns . Thus I made it so (I have also written it above ^)
    Also the last part, i left it for a future release with some more stuff ��

In addition to the Asculum garrison bug. I'm experiencing a bug where my generals randomly die and take their whole army with them at the start of a new turn (there's no event notification other than "Honorable Death").

Load Order:

1. Ardua Roma
    2. Age of Hellensim 1.3.2 for DEI
    3. Redistributed Resources
    4. Revised victory conditions
    5. Divide Et Impera Hardcore Submod (this could be the issues?)
    6. Government Overview UI for DEI
    7. AAA Generals - Rome
    8. AAA General - Greeks
    9. DEI 1
    10. DEI 2
    11. DEI 3

Any help would be great

Thanks! Love the idea behind this, would like it even more if there was an alternative version that only granted Rome to begin.

Edit: Still getting the bug with the revised load order:

1. Ardua Roma
    2. Age of Hellenism
    3. Redistributed Resources
    4. Revised victory conditions
    5. Government Overview UI for DEI
    6. AAA Generals - Rome
    7. DEI 1
    8. DEI 2
    9. DEI 3

That's a bit peculiar, I will look into. Never had this issue before in my testing

Thanks, it happened pretty early on. If you're trying to reproduce the error I had 3 generals on turn 3 and was playing as Nobiles. Happy to provide you with a save file if that helps.

Sure would be gr8. Just wanted to confirm if it happened only once or more?

Quote Originally Posted by adityamars View Post
    Sure would be gr8. Just wanted to confirm if it happened only once or more?
    Happened twice in a game I played to about Turn 10 or so (gave up when it occurred the second time, wiping out my main army). One thing that is odd is that it does this regardless of whether I change the general commanding the army. In the file I linked, the general located in the north dies on new turn (takes the army with him). Thanks for taking a look!

https://gofile.io/d/hFuwUS

Laetus

that's crazy I was just looking for a mod to make the game harder especially as Rome. very cool. It would be great if you could make the Samnites occupy Beneventum. did you edit the game through editsf or creation kit?

Laetus

also, did you mean to make the Lucani able to be client stated in the first turn?

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by richmo11 View Post
    Happened twice in a game I played to about Turn 10 or so (gave up when it occurred the second time, wiping out my main army). One thing that is odd is that it does this regardless of whether I change the general commanding the army. In the file I linked, the general located in the north dies on new turn (takes the army with him). Thanks for taking a look!

https://gofile.io/d/hFuwUS
    Im having the same problem except its every turn...

Yes I have figured out the problem, I will be able to fix it by tomorrow

Default Re: [Submod] Ardua Roma - a Challenging rome - Updated

First of all sorry for the late response since I had a rough weak,
    Secondly,
    Changes :
    i) Fixed the Roman general dying bug, by completely removing that mechanic. You no longer start with one less General
    ii) made lucanian start with more units and more aggresive ai
    iii) removed the latium eco nerfs since dei latest patch already did those
    iv) Some minor changes so that dei files are not effected for better performance

Any chance you'll get it up on the steam workshop ?

No sadly, if u want to install the mod, simply put the mod in the data folder where the exe file is

Mini-Review after a playthrough!

Wow! What a great mod for experienced players. Combined with the Alternative Campaign Experience (that makes the early game a bit more enjoyable while the later game harder) it makes for a great Rome playthrough!
    Starting on the backfoot and having to change up your tactics presents a real challenge. I also like that the etruscans and the samnites as bigger early enemies. It adds a sort of introduction to the grand campaign as Rome comes into its own and flexes it's prowess by conquering their neighbours.
    Meanwhile Pyrrhus stands as a looming final boss for the peninsula.

The most interesting part is how it changes the dynamic of your campaign in the longer run. I funnily enough conquered the peninsula faster than normal as the early threats forced me to burn all my starting money on mercenaries and units.
    I also found myself needing to loot each settlement I conquered. These combos of burning all my money instead of putting into settlement upgrades and looting settlements meant that the post-conquer phase was a phase of recuperating.
    Dealing with rebellions but also the fact that the population was partly decimated meant that I had to switch around armies just to get enough plebes for my principes.
    Thankfully the northern tribes could be payed off after they declared war (I think a lot of it is thanks to the alternative campaign experience that gives bonus diplomacy in the start, which I really like, making the start more 'rational') with the loot from my conquered enemies.

Phyrrus served as a great showdown as Rome had its Plebes population basically empty meaning that this open battle was basically it. Either I won or Phyrrus would keep rolling and liberate the provinces around a Rome that couldn't retaliate with its exhausted population.
    But with good pila + javelins use the Elephants and Phyrrus himself hit the dirt letting the long line of principes hold the front (taking a beating in the process) while the cavalry smashed the Epirus pikemen from behind.
    The day was won and the campaign would continue. In many ways it would now continue as usual DeI campaigns but with all the money and several provinces emptied, Rome would have to recuperate and consolidate, licking its wounds.

A must have mod!
    Not only for the challenge but it is really a great feeling being able to play the early Rome, in a Rise of the Republic style, and get to take those baby steps when Rome's fate was still in the air.

Relevant other mods:
    Alternative Campaign Experience
    12tpy Recruitment
    Cultural Tension
    Last edited by userstupidname; April 21, 2021 at 06:37 AM.

Thx for such a great and constructive review
    The mid game is not the same, I did quite a few hidden diplomatic changes so u wouldn't see it but u will with time feel a difference. Other then I am thinking of things to make mid game a bit more dynamic. Also thx for the suggestions I will add alt campaign experience in the list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast