Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doing away with mechanics generals

Default Re: Doing away with mechanics generals

How about, instead of requiring them to physically be in Rome, giving characters a temporary “participating in elections in Rome” trait that sets their movement points to zero for a turn or two?

EDIT: This would probably need to be combined with some yes/no event, like Hellenikon suggested, or some other mechanism to give the player some control of who gets elected. But maybe all those yes/no dialogues every few turns would be a bit annoying....

EDIT2: I just realised that this suggestion might give even worse results. Like if all the imperium offices are given to characters in the same far end of the empire. This mechanic would essentially simulate characters travelling from the frontier to Rome for elections, and then going back to the frontier again regardless of the election results.
    Last edited by Paltmull; March 14, 2021 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    That's what I did during my 1000-turn Romani campaign. You simply have to cheat if you want to keep things realistic and not waste a bunch of valuable time for your character as a general or governor. At a certain point it got ridiculous having to spend up to two years (8 turns) for a general to reach Rome from the frontier provinces of Anatolia/Syria, Nubia/Arabia, Germania/Britannia, or Portugal/Morocco all the way back to Rome for a single election. In reality, this would have taken about a month of travel whereas one turn in the game EBII equals three months!!!

"Praetor of Sicily" claims he wants realistic immersion. LOL. No you don't, what you're demanding is entirely unrealistic even for the logistics of the ancient world. What you're demanding is just a silly weight to placed around the neck of the player for no apparently good reason other than Quintus' concern about scripting. At least that's an argument.
    LOL what you are suggesting is essentially watering down this mod back to Vanilla. What makes this mod different is such unique features. Take that away, and inch by inch this mod becomes something else. Might as well change the mods name. You want this mod to be a clone of DBM? Why play this mod then, just play DBM. Your demands are far more severe, and silly. "Lets make this mod like every other one" that's far more damaging. This is a dangerous precedent, what's next, removing Cursus Honorum?

The mod dev had a great suggestion, I suggest you follow it. Instead of trying to kill this beautiful mods uniqueness. Like I said, if you really want a simplified experience, you have vanilla, or other mods. Let us have this one mod. It's only fair. Niche gamers should get satisfaction as well, don't be selfish, and just worry about yourself. If this mod gets watered down, what else mod can we play, friendo? Another suggestion, maybe add absentee elections, Roman politicians could stand for Consul in such a manner. Or release a lite version of this mod, so people stop trying to kill it via simplification.

Like I said, stop trying to turn this mod into something else(like other watered down mods). Think about others. Also I never made any DEMANDS, but suggestions. When you use such wording, it sounds like I have a gun to someones head. Lets cut the dramatic narrative. All I was saying was please turn this mod into a vanilla clone. See ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Praetor Of Sicily View Post
    LOL what you are suggesting is essentially watering down this mod back to Vanilla. What makes this mod different is such unique features. Take that away, and inch by inch this mod becomes something else. Might as well change the mods name. You want this mod to be a clone of DBM? Why play this mod then, just play DBM. Your demands are far more severe, and silly. "Lets make this mod like every other one" that's far more damaging. This is a dangerous precedent, what's next, removing Cursus Honorum?

The mod dev had a great suggestion, I suggest you follow it. Instead of trying to kill this beautiful mods uniqueness. Like I said, if you really want a simplified experience, you have vanilla, or other mods. Let us have this one mod. It's only fair. Niche gamers should get satisfaction as well, don't be selfish, and just worry about yourself. If this mod gets watered down, what else mod can we play, friendo? Another suggestion, maybe add absentee elections, Roman politicians could stand for Consul in such a manner. Or release a lite version of this mod, so people stop trying to kill it via simplification.

Like I said, stop trying to turn this mod into something else(like other watered down mods). Think about others. Also I never made any DEMANDS, but suggestions. When you use such wording, it sounds like I have a gun to someones head. Lets cut the dramatic narrative. All I was saying was please DONT turn this mod into a vanilla clone. See ya.
    Edited it lol

Perhaps this micromanagement level could be an option like difficulty level and unit size, so players could choose whether they want to manage many things by hand or have them done in the background. Many, many things are handled in the background now, like providing food for the units.

If the present setup seems watered down, maybe we could introduce more chores. When going on campaign, the general could have to drop the kids off at school and also get some groceries on the way home. I would personally like to do their taxes manually and perhaps sit through some marriage counseling sessions.

Only my Consuls fight wars, assisted by Praetorians in big wars, but usually I have them acting as governor. You don't HAVE to send a character to Rome every time they are eligible unless you need the Imperium.

I can't say anything that hasn't been said before, but I think it would be greatly beneficial to change the location mechanics.

I love accuracy as much as the next guy, but I'm a bit of a dunce and I often don't think about it or feel it's too much of a chore to actually do it. Unfortunately that often hampers the game by filling my Carthaginian campaigns with rejected generals that aren't so useful.

Edit: Just noticed the dates on the posts. Sorry for keeping an old thread alive.
    Last edited by Hirtius; April 07, 2022 at 04:04 PM.

Campidoctor

Let's not advocate for changing major mod mechanics to cater to dunces, at the expense of average history enjoyers. And honestly, how many players have lost more than a battle or few to the AI ever, even without the added benefits of some high star general? Battles can be won handily with captains, so if an individual player doesn't care or want to engage with roleplay mechanics, they don't have to and don't lose out on anything. If those mechanics were removed for some strange reason, the people who do like and employ those mechanics would in fact lose out on a big part of this mod's gameplay.

Nothing wrong with old threads if the topic is still of concern. For my part, I've been playing Rome Remastered until it made me remember why I greatly prefer EBII.

Consuls determined how wars were fought, and Consuls were elected in Rome. I even conduct a season of games in Rome before sending the Consuls, Praetors, and Tribunes out simulating placating the gods and the augaries as described in Livy.

Each faction has its quirks, and this is Rome's quirk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12