Thread: Economic Expansion

Default Economic Expansion

The cost for buying a settlement depends on 3 factors: the size of the seller's empire (larger empires are more willing to give up small portions of land), the wealth of the settlement (would you ever give up Baktria for a pittance?), and the distance of the settlement from the capital (factions like to exchange a rebellious border province for some cold hard cash). Some rough estimates/actual amounts of the costs to buy settlements based on these 3 factors are listed below:

Numidia making its first purchase of Ikyoshim from Carthage: 7000 mnai

Ptolemaioi ending the Syrian Wars by buying Antiocheia and Damascos on turn 2: 30000 mnai

Buying one of Sauromatia's last 4 settlements to trigger their migration and enable Sauromatian Enclaves: 10000 mnai

Acquiring Sardeis and Ipsos from the Seleucids as Pergamon on turn 1: 13000 mnai

Buying any Seleucid settlement far away from the capital in the early-mid game: 7500-12500 mnai

Buying any one of any faction's last 2 non-capital settlements: 40000-??? mnai

Buying Garamantine: 12 mnai and a bag of Cheetos

Based on these estimates and facts you can expand economically should you not fancy triggering war or fighting siege battles. A noteworthy fact is that buying a settlement that seals off an enemy army besieging one of your formerly bordering settlements will ALWAYS force that army to retreat. Said army will also be "confused" for one turn, guaranteeing your a sliver of time to reinforce your newly-bought settlement. If you don't like expanding economically, you can still buy provinces with a clear conscience by selling those provinces on the same turn using another diplomat. You can Balkanize entire regions this way by divvying them up between competing powers, ensuring that the resulting chaos, war, and human suffering will keep your borders safe for a LONG time.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Economic Expansion

Hi Shoebopp (and the devs ;-),
    I've got a question not on EBII, but on modding: is it something tested that the cost for buying a settlement depends on:
    1. the size of the seller's empire (larger empires are more willing to give up small portions of land),
    2. the wealth of the settlement (those producing more money are more expensive)
    3. the distance of the settlement from the capital (the further from the capital, the cheaper)
    4. the public order (a rebellious province is cheaper)
    It's hardcoded or modded within the EBII?
    This part of the engine I'm not familiar with and it'd be good to learn it.
    cheers
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Default Re: Economic Expansion

1. I am certain of this. Factions with only 3 regions demand a massive price for one of their two non-capital regions. Factions with only 2 regions will probably never sell their last non-capital region for an attainable price. Meanwhile empires with a huge amount of regions (Seleukid Empire, Ptolemaic Empire) tend to pawn off settlements for feasible prices unless they fall under the category of one of the others
    2. This may be tied to the development of the province rather than its economic output, actually. Buying an Iranian Plateau province was rather cheap. They're literally hobo-towns but with immensely rich mines, yet were sold for a pittance in my Parthian campaign.
    3. Buying Sardeis and Ipsos (two otherwise rich settlements but on the periphery of the Seleukid Empire) on turn 1 of my Pergamon campaign literally costed only 13,000 mnai.
    4. Hekatompylos is close to the AI-placed capital of the Seleukid Empire, and somewhat well-developed, yet is fairly cheap to purchase due to its abysmal public order.

These are all just observations, but I'm able to offer a "balanced" deal for settlements most of the time by using these calibrations.