Thread: Normal map creation via CrazyBump or AwesomeBumpGL330 issues

Default Normal map creation via CrazyBump or AwesomeBumpGL330 issues

Hi, guys! In advance my apologies first...Mb those questions have been asked up a lotta times and resolved yet.
    However, you know, there're always a few differences..
    So .. Lemme commence up. I'm modder
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    from Russia, Ryazan with native English ( no jokes..A row of oxymoron fatal circumstances..)so too solitary and lacking friends to discuss some topics

I'm creating a mod ..submodding an old KingKong chief des oeuvres Stainless Steel 5.1
    Having got such a basis my work goes on 4 years.. having used up a lotta other submods of S.S. series , slightly modified and my own work-for example moslem princesses textures.

So a problem arisen instantly. I wanna modify a lotta units for example akritai from DLV 6/2 to make them true Rhoomaioi to look like..just adding fustanella or skirt similar to gaelic kilt but white ones.

I've re-converted MTW2 Kingdoms textures with alpaca tool and opened them as dds no generating mip maps and re-opened them with CrazyBump to create a fast normal map.

Done! However I shoule've invert 2 channels except blue inna final normal as advised by russian modder Shredder in some short work to inspire creating normals via CrazyBump

Further on I been recommended make alpha channel for my normal inna same tutor by Shredder and similar tuition within here by Paleologus

Re: Help convert paint.net .dds into texture again ?

Maybe this will help you.
    Take the normal map you made with GIMP and export it as a .tga file.
    Then open the main texture file and delete all parts except the ones that are metal.
    The rest of the area paint it black, then go to colours, bightness/contrast and adjust the settings so that you get a darker version of the only-metal-the-rest-black file.
    Save that one as with NM-Alpha in it's name to help you remember that it is intended to be the Alpha channel of the Nomal Map and then export it in .tga format.
    Then open both tgas with photoshop, go to the NM-Alpha, click the channels tab at the right and copy the rgb part of the file.
    Then go to the main normal map, and in the channels tab click alpha and paste on it the image that you had copied to the clipboard.
    Then save the file with a new name in tga format, remember to leave the compression box unchecked.
    If you open the new file with GIMP you will notice that most of it is blank, except for some semi transparent areas where the metal parts are supposet to be.
    Don't worry about it, this is a normal thing.
    The areas that are black in the alpha channel show as transparent in GIMP.
    After that open the file with DXTBmp and save it as CA texture, with the setting DXT5.
    And that's it.

and

Re: Help convert paint.net .dds into texture again ?

Originally Posted by xpoing
    I don't get it. I have in PS a normal-map file but the alpha is completely white...

It's wrong then.
    You need to make a new one.
    Make a copy of your original texture map and delete everything that is not metal.
    Desaturate what's left.
    Adhust the brightness to your choice, the brighter the parts are, the more they will reflect light.
    Make a new file of equal dimensions, paint it all black and on top of it paste the desaturated metal parts.
    That's your alpha channel right there.
    Select it all with the marqee tool, hit ctrl-c to copy it to the clipboard and then load your normal map, click on it's alpha channel and hit ctrl-v to paste on top of that the new alpha channel you have just made.
    Save as tga and leave the compression box unchecked.
    Open the tga with DXTBmp and save it as Creative Assembly TEXTURE with the selection DXT5.
    It should be game ready now.

here info link of info citated above
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...re-again/page2

I have failed finally as when I create alpha chennel and merge it with normal it looks black and textures inna game got a lotta artefacts subsequently

P.S. Yep I generate mip maps when saving and DTX 5 too is used.

Please assist me!

Default Re: Normal map creation via CrazyBump or AwesomeBumpGL330 issues

progs used Crazy Bump fast generating norms... paint net with many plagins and GIMP ..the latest one.

There's been also an attempt to reemerge all the stuff simply creating ready NORM with attached alpha channed to imitate metal paralax and I done something..but too low quality ..

The prog however if great!

Last edited by Abdülmecid I; March 02, 2021 at 11:40 AM. Reason: To properly upload a Youtube video, you need to insert only the part after "v=" inside the Youtube (not the video) brackets.

My texture of Akritoi being based on the old DLV 2\2 version modClick image for larger version. 

Name:	bnnnyzantium_padded.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	521.5 KB 
ID:	363954

I reciconverted dds to jpg to show fustanella skirt I created for akritoon

I apoligize for a row of self-posting..I donno how to merge all of 'em into one topic if such an opportunity does exist at all as I real time creating my topic right now.

Another pic does show a alpha layer to be applied for CrazyBump generated NORMAL
    My aloligies this tga also for needs of forum is re-saved as jpg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bnnnyzantium_padded - копия.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	363955

subsequently, according to Paleologus I should paint the rest of pic in black and - I suppose by single layer to save this as ALPHA for Norm and once againe copypaste this as alpha-chennel via GIMP
    as far as I know by "exporting" no with saving as GIMP saves them data via its own weirdo ext.
    btw opening with GIMP with no MIP MAPPING and only finallu saved a file in dds should be mipmap generated one, oh my...

the result of my efforts if I do with several steps ain't impressive and creation of ready normal by AwesomeBump is pretty easier but quality ..mb djue to my insufficient skills..sucks....

I'd prefer adding alpha by GIMP but if I try..the result is too shiny mb some steps are erroneous...

I should paint the rest of pic in black and
    or rather I should make an empty file of the same gage and as Paleologus once adviced

Make a new file of equal dimensions, paint it all black and on top of it paste the desaturated metal parts.
    That's your alpha channel right there.
    guys I'm at panics smth goes f.. wrong!...

Mb I'm too stupid

I think all the byzantine rhoomaioon units should be wearing byzantine a dress as pottery does suggest

I forgot to show CrazyBump as it's been the main prog I used

its means with what I do bake NORMALs for further attaching alpha channel via GIMP to show mettal to glow or reflect light if theres sunshine...

P.S.

as another prog awesome bump needs no further creating alpha channel..as far as I got it. But Awesome Bump results aint imspiring..too low quality and mirror an effect on their surface too so even if paralax work it still to bright and shiny..mb djue to my ..humble slills...
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; March 02, 2021 at 12:45 PM. Reason: [youtube]9n3jdyrKTtg[/youtube]

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

I dont see any question here, so whats the point of all this? Are you asking anything specific?

yep. Lemme guess however.
    I'm trying to make mettle parts of akritoi armor to reflect sunrays....mb parts of boots and fur too..
    How to insert them into created with crazybump ready norm as alpha channel step-by-step.

I can give you some steps, but im using different programs.

As for the reflections, as you already know i guess, its the alpha channel mask that is responsible for it. Its a mask based on the luminance, so the black is not reflective and white is super reflective.

1. )
    Generally, i take a diffused texture and change it to monochrome grays.

2. ) Then i add a layer of solid black that i use as a filter - i lower the transparency of the black layer, so that there is just enough brightness from the monochrome layer. The "just enough" is according to my tastes i suppose, so its up to you how much you want. It will always differ depending on the texture in question but for the most part i set transparency at some 70-90% of that layer.

3. ) Then i merge both layers so that i get a darkened monochrome texture. The areas where i want no reflections are black.

4. ) From there i generate the luminance mask. When i get that mask, i export it to the normal map texture and save it there. I ussually also copy and paste the normal map texture once again over the masked file and save.

Im using GIMP2 for normal maps generation and PaintShopPro for the aplha channel generation and combining the layers. I never really had any issues with the above process, so i guess the only real thing is finding the right amount of reflectivity that suits you.

thanx! Sincerely! I done all of this, however problem been converting dds to texture as smth damaged notwithstanding m'self to generate mipmaps and save via dtx5 and so on...finally I've attained a success by usage of Lanjane converter to easily achive this prosess with all the options needed ..being inclided within

As for the normal map filter setting that im using, its Prewitt 3x3, and for the convertion im using Alpaca's DDS Converter, used DDS View in the past too, you can find them here:

https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?..._Modding_Index