Thread: why macedon roster use almost exclusively 2nd class citizen ?

Default why macedon roster use almost exclusively 2nd class citizen ?

why have it so the ipi something peltast and the skirmish cav use the same citizen class as heavy inf ? didnt they use poor citizen for peltast ? Also, i notice when i recruited merc in sparta when i havent conqeured it, most of the them use 3rd class citizen(as it should be) for the lighter unit such as the cretan archer or the rhodian slinger. However, when i conqured sparta itself, the merc requirement changes to use 2nd class citizen for these unit instead, is this a bug ? because this greatly limit my army composition greatly to pretty much always using the good 4th class merc or the awful basic 3rd class skirmisher/light inf.

Default Re: why macedon roster use almost exclusively 2nd class citizen ?

The iphicrates peltast represents a more professional and multirole form of skirmisher that existed around the time. They were somewhere between a hoplite and psilos, in both battlefield use and likely social class too. In DEI they're basically your higher tier missile troops for the early game, so it makes sense, at least gameplay-wise, for them to be in the 2nd group. The 3rd class skirmishers are fine for the early game, honestly, not as flexible sure, but once you get them shooting missiles from a flank, just as effective. Once you hit the reforms you get a lot more options, so don't worry.
    Last edited by Icarus Smicarus; March 02, 2021 at 01:24 PM.

ok, but what about the merc situation though, why does it change when i conquered the region ? seems very strange to me.

Are you sure those are the same units? All mercs only have one class assigned to them unless they are a foreign (class 4 ) type. There are also AOR units.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

ok, i think i found out what happened. the Spartan 2nd class citizen is called pariokoi, so when i tried to recruited merc in their territory i thought it was using 3rd class citizen.