Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Need advice: Building a new rig

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Need advice: Building a new rig

Well short term the CPU you bought has a GPU but it's not super powerful compared to a discrete solution (a graphics card). Your intel GPU should get you by if you wanted to stick with that until you got the real card you want. Not sure why that's not kicking in?.

Alternatively I have a pretty nice 1080ti hybrid ftw3 (worth about $800 usd somehow with today's used prices) laying around and two gtx titans (6gb).
    I'd be willing to let whatever one you're interested in go for relatively cheap, but you'd have to pay shipping.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

I have the AMD 5950X, which doesn't have an integrated graphics card. EDIT: Was told that's why I'm getting no video, even though the MB has a HDMI port. Forgot, the AIO came with thermal paste pre-applied so I didn't add any.

Was thinking about this GPU. It's about $100 and I just need something to get me by till the GPU I want is no longer be scalped. Current $1,400, MSRP $850.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-...9SIASGMF654546

If you'd let one of those go for around that, let's PM.

Might be interested in a HD if you have a huge one sitting around. Looking for something with at least 8 TB.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; August 08, 2021 at 03:47 PM.

Honestly you may be waiting a really long time for non scalper prices. It's a symptom of covid and people being at home, possibly nvidia encouraging this as well.

At this rate I'd actually suggest waiting for the 3000 series super refresh (probably Q1 or Q2 next year at the earliest), immediately jump on that or queue for it soon as it comes available. Release will sell them out very quickly within a few minutes but you should be able to snag one.

The pricing on that card is pretty high, quite overpriced, my titans are at least 3 times as powerful. You could go for it though.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

I can wait till next year for a long term card but I still need one right now for my PC to run. Let me know if you still are interested in selling a GPU. I can go higher in price, I'm mostly concerned with getting something of value. Who knows, I might just decide to say "F it" and give-up long term on my white theme and just settle into one I buy now. So I'm willing to pay more if you have something good.

Sidenote: I'm somewhat waiting for my depression to get better till I play any video games so I don't need something great, just serviceable.

The $850 is overpriced? I'm not overly familiar with GPUs so I just listen to people like you who seem to know what they're doing.

I find it hilarious Newegg's advertising department came up with the slogan "Summer of Building" and nobody correctedvthem in the spring.

Any recommendations for monitors? I was thinking I need an IPS and 2 to begin with, though not opposed to one very wide one. Probably curved, and OLED if it's a good deal.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 17, 2022 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Clean-up

GPU prices won't stablize until the end of December, 2021 around Christmas. The only thing based on MSRP you can get is FE cards from a microcenter and sitting in a long queue for several hours earlier before fresh stocks arrive. Another option is to buy a used card at a reasonable price (for you) from a website like RGBSwap
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    Any recommendations for monitors? I was thinking I need an IPS and 2 to begin with, though not opposed to one very wide one. Probably curved, and OLED if it's a good deal.
    OLED will be expensive. IPS with low response rate are the best. My personal recommendation would be LG-27GP850 or the older model 27GL850 at a discounted price. Another economical option would be Gigabyte's M27Q.
    Avoid 4K monitors because that requires a beefy graphics card like RTX 3080 to fully support 60+FPS PC gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    GPU prices won't stablize until the end of December, 2021 around Christmas. The only thing based on MSRP you can get is FE cards from a microcenter and sitting in a long queue for several hours earlier before fresh stocks arrive. Another option is to buy a used card at a reasonable price (for you) from a website like RGBSwap

OLED will be expensive. IPS with low response rate are the best. My personal recommendation would be LG-27GP850 or the older model 27GL850 at a discounted price. Another economical option would be Gigabyte's M27Q.
    Avoid 4K monitors because that requires a beefy graphics card like RTX 3080 to fully support 60+FPS PC gaming.
    Thanks, I was looking in the 1440 range for resolution. Wanting the Asus white 3070 at $850, but I'm lost in what's better. I know "Ti" is better, as well as 30 is better than 20, but what about a 2080 RTX Ti OC vs RTX 3080?

The hierarchy matters, an XX70 is a lot better than an XX60 (sometimes even across generations, or they become equal to each other).

XX70ti is definitely better than a previous generation XX60 for example. The XX80's and XX80ti's are some of the best cards. The Titans or XX90's are the very best.

The best way to figure out which is the best is look at the gaming benchmarks, toms hardware benchmarks are usually very good and have an average. Google search "3080ti toms hardware gaming benchmarks". Their reviews come up with a corresponding photo like this https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/RJ...70-80.png.webp
    The AI Workshop Creator

And I thought $30 extra for a white Corsair keyboard was unreasonable.

https://www.newegg.com/p/32N-00YW-00...9SIAV2WET13891

1. Computer parts economics are out of wack, mostly effected by events and forces outside their immediate bailiwick.

2. Generally, Intel processors have onboard graphics, though they generally suck, sufficient for browsing.

3. Ryzen tends to concentrate on delivering processing power, though once they get extra space, they may add in a graphics module.

4. Though going by the consoles, Sony, Microsoft, and now Valve, they can deliver powerful graphics, if they choose to do so.

5. Unfortunately, the ones bookmarked for retail like the 5700G costs nearly four hundred bux, having dropped the low end due to squeezed capacity.

6. I think there's a 5300G floating around, suspect only to fulfill contractual obligations to system integrators.

7. Probably the best investment in graphics you could have made was four or five years ago, if you bit the bullet and bought the 1080ti.

8. If money is no objective, but the newest 48" LG OLED as a monitor for around fourteen hundred bux, and match it with a 3080.

9. You'll get screwed on the 3080, but I don't see the availability of any new generations until the end of next year, and Intel's is likely to cater to the mid range.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Submitted an entry for Newegg's Shuffle for an Asus white 3080. It's about $300 more than the 3070, which is the one I wanted, but beggars can't be choosers. Well, at least I believe Shuffle isn't scalping and selling at MSRP. If I miss out at least I can hope a white Asus 3070 shows up soon in the Shuffle. If I get it, I'll definitely take a large chunk out of my monitor budget. Hard not entertaining ideas of if I get it, turning around and selling it. I mostly play strategy games, which aren't over taxing on GPUs. The only major thing I can think of that I could use it for is KCD with a 3D headset.

For 1440p go for 3060 Ti. Also get in the eVGA queue list:
    https://www.evga.com/products/produc...et=RTX+3060+Ti
    You might get lucky. 3080 is overkill for 1440p but one could argue to be it future proof for upcoming AAA games.
    Also try your luck in eBay bids:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/174887590880?epid=23043339890

Avoid 3060.

Damn, wasn't selected.

Right it's either being lucky or paying exorbitant prices. From Manufacturers to retailers, everyone is making profits right now & ripping off customers. Which is why I haven't picked anything yet and still dragging my 1080 Ti.

1. I think we're stuck on 1440 because of lack of fairly priced graphic cards, because i'm pretty sure Jensen wanted us to be thinking about eight kay gaming last year, before being stuck at home, free money, and mining boom.

2. I haven't found any cheap offers locally on 1440 second hand monitors, though some have turned up on sales, so if I had wanted to, I could have gotten some thirty two inchers at around three hundred bux each.

3. I might have considered if they were 3840x1600, but those things cost around a thousand; in case you're wondering, that should be native pixels for a widescreen four kay movie.

4. It seemed pretty clear we were on a projection for at least four kay gaming; doesn't work if you need to sell your kidney to get a high end graphic card.

5. Invest in a good power supply unit; I intend to replace mine if and when I buy the next Ryzen generation, not the possible renewed ones for the current socket; exception might be for sixty five watt variants.

- PSU wise i'm covered since 2015. Have an Antec HCP 1300W with multiple +12V rails to supports even triple cards.
    - Picked up GB M27Q on launch day in India as a friend of mine works there so got an employee discount through him. It's a great monitor with KVM switch. Old 144Hz TN panel serves as a dual screen which really increased my work productivity.
    - Upgraded to 3200MHz 32GB RAM kit CL14 at a discount price and got a second hand 5960X overclocked at 4.5GHz which is close to Zen2-3700X in performance.
    - Only thing remains is RTX 3080 at MSRP and I'm set for 2-3 years when DDR5 shiz kicks in the market with multiple GPU chiplets or some other wonky stuff. That's when I'll build a new system and use the current one as a server\streaming setup.

1. The next generation of memory will probably cost an ARM and a leg, so I hear that Intel may have two controllers on their processors, so you that can choose whether to upgrade.

2. Chances are that motherboards will get more expensive, as they will control the electrical voltages, simplifying the job of the power supply unit, and I suspect that means you'd need a new one.

3. Next generation of graphic cards will have substantial improvements, but cost through the nose; power draw might go up, as well.

DDR5 mem would be that impressive as compared to what we already have in DDR4 with tighter timings and what not. Major difference will lie how the memory controllers on the latest CPU will behave and utilize the full potential of RAM.
    It will take some time to iron everything out and prices drooping eventually. But yeah expensive it shall be.
    MOBOS and PSU will also spike in prices and I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of new Power port & delivery making old PSUs completely incompatible. PSU guys ain't really making exponential profits like other major AIB brands since they're still pretty much the same.

GPUs will be awesome along with AutoHDR and Direct Storage from Win11\10upgrade. But again, top end would be launched at like 2000$ or something.

1. Some companies, apparently, were making short[cuts/circuits] with their power supply units and bundling them with discrete graphic cards.

2. Are the new graphic cards going to follow nVidia with the new electrical sockets, and presumably, more balanced distribution?

3. Potentially, except for the case, you might have to get a completely new personal computer, because, even the gumsticks might have doubled in speed by then; come to think of it, might as well get a new case, with hopefully, improved airflow.

4. I don't think Advanced Micro Devices is going to give the option for two memory controllers, and come to think of it, Accelerated Processing Unit onboard graphics really like fast memory, so it would make sense.

5. But then again, I had always planned to eke out the current socket as long as possible, until I can achieve enlightenment on the next, and it's paraphernalia.

Yeah lol Gigabyte in particular were forcing bundles with an explosive PSU:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xts3pvbcFos

I'm not sure about the graphics card socket. So far Nvidia's Founder's edition was the only one with its weird 12-pin socket.
    Yeah AMD may not go that route. Infinity fabric is already strong.

Going by the latest rumours, power draw is going up for the high end, all around.

So when I advise getting reliable power supply units, it may save your other components.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast