Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice: Building a new rig

Emperor Commodus's Avatar I love democracy™
    Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need advice: Building a new rig

Once in a while thermal paste may fail you before CPU/computer replacement, and the pre-applied paste is not 100% certain to come nor may it be perfect when it does. So another voice in favor of getting it, just to have a backup tube for your PC toolkit.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Consul -- Citizen
    sucked in by Jadli & patronized by King Athelstan
    'of the Imperial House of Hader
    unwittingly drawn to its branch, the Syndicate
    You clearly did something illegal to read this. Shame on you.

Default Re: Need advice: Building a new rig

Thank you all for your help, it has been really uplifting with what I've been going through. I used to be better at figuring things out on my own (former biochemist w/ 166 IQ) but I had a dangerous reaction to a prescribed drug over a year ago that resulted in brain damage and my dopamine (happy, focus chemical) levels being non existent. Now on disability. I had hoped by the time I got everything and price gouging subsided I'd be back to a fraction of myself but alas, no.

Anyway, the graphics card I listed is still almost 1.8x the MSRP, used, on eBay. I'm not getting anything out of video games at the moment so don't need a high end GPU to play them, right now. I pass a lot of time 3D printing and searching the internet for models (my pile of shame grows daily) on my Dell XPS 9550 with a 950 GPU. The GPU rarely goes beyond 45 C.

Long story short. Followed link from @z3n, Windows on USB done through Microsoft store. Nothing paid so I'm worried. Newegg says I need to pay $100 for Windows and then a GPU (as in the only things left to get in their build mode). Do I need to buy a very, VERY cheap GPU to make it run for now or can I limp along till the 97th most popular GPU on Newegg is no longer price gouged?

EDIT: I now dislike Newegg more. In order to prevent individuals from buying lots of GPUs at a time they make you put "hot" items in your PC build then check-out and have them assemble it.

To qualify for the assembly service, items selected in the build need to be shipped from Newegg California warehouse. By turning on the "Need Assembly Service?" toggle, we will display a list of the qualified items. Some items may not be qualified and will not be displayed. See FAQ for details.
    If I load the GPU I want in the builder first, it gives no cases optional for the build, there-by making the purchase impossible.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; Yesterday at 09:45 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12