Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Need advice: Building a new rig

Default Re: Need advice: Building a new rig

Got a GPU, put it in, and TV I'm using as a monitor has no signal. Tried all 3 HD outlets. Works with my laptop.

Probably should have gotten a keyboard a little while ago. I don't think my cheap Bluetooth will be usable in BIOS.

What's not working?

Presumably, the personal computer booted, and after you have properly installed the graphic card, ensured that the power molex has been socketed securely, the television receives no signal.

Borrow a graphic card, and retry it.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    What's not working?

Presumably, the personal computer booted, and after you have properly installed the graphic card, ensured that the power molex has been socketed securely, the television receives no signal.

Borrow a graphic card, and retry it.
    I got it working, took the RAM out then back in. Now I'm on being asked to pick the folder where I have all my drivers. I don't have anything else on the flash drive. Should I have done that in BIOS? EDIT: Now I can't get back to that screen, now only takes me to the BIOS.

The GPU is low quality but serves its current purpose till the price gouging stops, which may be next year. Silver lining is it's so small it's doesn't upset the white color scheme. Since it may be a while, I can hold-off on buying any monitors/3D headset. Thinking I'll do something weird like.

^ ............................^
    | .............................|
    27"<--34"+curved-->27"
    | .............................|
    v .............................v

The 34" would obviously be the gaming one. MSI is having a lot of good ones.

Had a pin out of place by one slot; cost me $130 to find out (they tried to charge me twice that). New keyboard was black when I ordered white, so had to send that back. Stupidly I didn't order one with wifi or Bluetooth so waiting for that delivery as well.

What the word on Radeon? Could get a white one right now even though they cost more retail. The fact I can get one makes me think they're not that great otherwise they'd be gone for scalping/mining.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 17, 2022 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Clean-up

Does it matter?

Best bang for buck from the new ones I heard was the sixty nine hundred; the sixty six hundred is closer to supposed retail price.

Market is dependent on factors outside of computer gaming; even if the mainland Chinese real estate market implodes, you can bet despite the prohibitions, Chinese individuals and companies would hop on mining.

Even without a good GPU it's so much faster at layering 3D models, like 10x.

@Ishan Any really, price range is $1,000 and would like a white one, which I can find, unlike the Asus 3070 white.

Anybody have experience with Remote Desktop? I want to be able to play video games in my warm bed on cold winter nights.

Think I'm done buying things till Black Friday. GPU are still non-existent so I'll probably just get a couple of monitors.

There's quite a few white Zotac 3060 available but don't know anything about them.

Unfortunately I'll need Remote Desktop on my laptop too, duh, but only Windows Pro has it. Laptop is 6 years old, still runs well, but it's nearing its end. Can I transfer Windows to another computer if it dies? Thinking about getting a Microsoft Surface Tablet for mobile, plus the capability to draw stuff.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 17, 2022 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Clean-up

Don't get the 3060 please. It's not worth the price. Wait till the Black Friday or Christmas, no option really.

Your main monitor is 34" so a WQHD res 3440 x 1440? Or is it 4K? Your target should be 3060Ti-3070 for 2K or 3080 for 4K. A load of huge stock of founder's edition card is rumored to be dumped at BestBuy. So be on the look out.

Deal, will pass on it. Ideally I want the 3080 but don't know if I actually need that much power. I don't play FPS, Kingdom Come: Deliverance isn't a shooter, I play Europa EU4 and other strategy games, which have a lot of wait times. So refresh rates aren't that important to me.

Checked BestBuy earlier today and high end GPUs are all gone.

Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-CU34G2X-F..._t2_B08LCMYT54

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Optix-MAG...%2C267&sr=1-12

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YP6PFFT

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KZQ6214...cr_wdg_tit_rfb

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/498...mpaign_id=9383
    Last edited by NorthernXY; October 03, 2021 at 10:31 PM.

The long view is that demand will catch up to supply in the second half of Twenty Twenty Two.

In the meantime, you have to take account of raw material shortages and power outages disrupting computer component production, combined with shipping delays.

As regards discrete graphic cards, the usual advice is if you need it for your business, you have no choice but to buy one; if it's just for gaming, you can wait and see what Intel brings out, in terms of performance and price.

I can wait for a reasonable price as a I have a low cost/high performance GPU and play testing my games and Blender (making 40K models). I'm not finding a huge degradation in graphics, yet. My GPU was about $105 US so I don't waste money on something that I'm trying to replace with a better option ASAP. I check NewEgg and eBay every day and am on product wait lists that informs me they have what I want.

With my cheap graphics card a nice new monitor(s) would be superfluous because it couldn't handle it/them.

Wanting a fan for the back to blow air out, maybe 3 for the side to blow air in. Currently my set-up is radiator on top with fans blowing out, the front has 3 fans and is blow air in. Don't know if the fan headers on the MB would will work like I want.

@NXY
    Go with this monitor:
    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XV340CK-.../dp/B08BG4GWRL
    Best 34"Inch IPS monitor. Currently it's 450$ but it was down to 316$ recently within the 3 months. Install the Keepa Plugin in your chrome to keep track of prices on Amazon.

I also have to get a card and I've been waiting for over a year now lol. My bets are Black Friday, or Christmas or Next year when SUPER series cards launch and someone might sell the old one after getting a SUPER card or something. If all that fails, then I would just skip this and wait for Crypto Crash and in late 2022. Won't pay 2-2.5X amount of price over MSRP.

Thanks.

Now the modem doesn't seem to be working on my desktop, though it can see it in the Wi-FI choices. My laptop can connect perfectly so I know it the desktop.

Getting: Unkonw USB Decice (device descriptor failed) and (port reset failed).

I've tried to read up on the differences between VA and IPS panels. Why do you recommend IPS?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 17, 2022 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Clean-up

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    I've tried to read up on the differences between VA and IPS panels. Why do you recommend IPS?
    From a gaming perspective IPS is better or at least used to but both VA and IPS technologies have caught on and are almost the same these days.

Main difference that will remain is
    VA: Deep Blacks, more contrast, making dark areas more realistic and good for movie experiences.
    Black Ghosting effect in VA panels while gaming. Some have minimal to none, some have very noticeable. Depends on the vendor panel type.

IPS: No ghosting issues at higher refresh rates but has IPS Glow or bleeding issues, especially at the corners which makes blacks appear more greyish. Contrast ratio is usually around 2000:1 at max while VA starts from 2500 above to begin with.

Watch this video carefully to understand the difference:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34bqY7CToHg

For in-depth article see this:
    https://www.rtings.com/monitor/learn/ips-vs-va-vs-tn
    Last edited by Ishan; October 06, 2021 at 01:56 AM.

Thanks, refresh rate isn't that important because most games I play are slow. VA with better picture quality seems enticing.

Wi-Fi adapter stopped working for internet after a couple weeks, Bluetooth still works. Threw away the packaging so can't return. Kind of piss off. Using my phone old phone as an adapter.

Need an internal USB splitter so I can plug in another fan control hub. The Wi-Fi adapter is using one. Trying to decide if I should buy another internal, like the one that broke, or an external one that plugs into the USB. Then I don't have to buy a splitter.

Recommendations on any product it helpful, especially the splitter. Thinking about this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...D7C33I65&psc=1
    Last edited by NorthernXY; October 08, 2021 at 11:11 AM.

Trust me Refresh Rate is important. 144Hz is the benchmark now and anything above can be easily ignored and not worth the cash. Once you get used to it, you won't enjoy 60Hz even in normal windows usage because you will instantly notice a slight drag\sluggishness even when scrolling mouse here and there.

And pick any USB splitter you want, no need to overpay, they all work the same. It just depends on the case and motherboard, some have even more expansions and are in a box with magnet for better aesthetics that's it. Like the overpriced NZXT one with its own SATA power:
    https://nzxt.com/product/internal-usb-hub-gen-3

Okay, I'll trust you on the IPS.

That's much nicer than the one I bought, though $10 more. Mine didn't have the SATA for power, which I may need because it's going to power some RGB stuff.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, what Ishan said is 100% accurate. Once you try the 144hz refresh rate you won't want to go back to 60hz.

Although I differ in having a VA panel; the colours seem better than an IPS.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Are you recommending non-curved monitors because curved IPS monitors are like twice as expensive?

So I tried to benchmark my machine and got everything but the crappy GPU was performing below average. Did the bad GPU bring everything down?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 17, 2022 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Clean-up

Are you recommending non-curved monitors because curved IPS monitors are like twice as expensive?
    Curved monitors are also a thing. Current no.1 gaming monitor is Samsung Odyssey G7 & G9 curved VA Panel with zero ghosting issues. However I have personally seen and tested it and the curve is very aggressive which actually makes the G7's 27" look small and not good for general use since the plane feels odd. Also didn't look good when using softwares.
    In gaming the FOV also feels weird. But many users have said that it takes 3-4 weeks for the eyes to adapt.

But overall I'd prefer flat monitors or with a 1800\1500R curve at max. 1000R curve is too much for my taste.
    So I tried to benchmark my machine and got everything but the crappy GPU was performing below average. Did the bad GPU bring everything down?
    What benchmark are you using? Right now without GPU you can only bench CPU, RAM and SSD. All have different individual benchmarks. For CPU use CPU-Z scoring, for RAM use AIDA64 RAM benchmark and for SSD use AS SSD. Scores should be same\close to the other user points.

From what I heard, if it's an expensive monitor, either screen technology is about the same quality.

For cheap ones, stick to IPS.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast