Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Need advice: Building a new rig

Default Need advice: Building a new rig

Building my rig for the first time because I'm getting a desktop after using a laptop the last 14 years. Budget is about $3k before graphics card. Going over the ones on here, @Huberto has what I'm looking at the most. Except I'm going for a new gen 5 motherboard and CPU, the latter not being out yet. I'm not opposed to AMD, I just don't know enough about them but I have heard they've passed Intel.

Would like to go with a white theme and a bunch of RGB products but don't know what is compatible with what. Figure it's going to be ASUS Aurora or Corsair CUE for the software but neither make everything so I'll have to mix and match.

CPU: Intel Core i9-11900K
    MBD: ASUS ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming
    GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 or 3090
    CASE: Phanteks Eclipse P500A or CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB
    SSD: SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 Internal Gaming SSD M.2
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB or 128GB
    PSU: ASUS ROG Thor 80+ Platinum 850W
    CPU Cooler: Asus ROG Strix LC 360 or Corsair iCUE H150i

Any help would be appreciated.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Need advice: Building a new rig

Generally all you need is the CPU cooler to be compatible with the CPU. Corsair generally builds their top end to be compatible.

I cant find any specifics about the compatability yet.

Unless that's for work, 32gb or 64gb at most is definitely enough ram for the next 10 years. In fact I would go with 32gb only. Adding ram at future dates is very easy. And the only game requiring that much ram (32gb) is star citizen at present.

In general I'd advise adding another 1tb ssd like a crucial nvme drive over that much extra ram. Aside from that your build looks pretty solid but do make sure the CPU cooler is compatible with the CPU, not a coolers fit all cpus.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Thanks, I'll just get 32 GB ram then, will get 2 x 16 GB so I can just buy another pair of the same type in the future and not have to buy 4 sticks. Though I'm getting into 3D design so it won't be just gaming that needs it. I'm sure 5 years of advancing tech and a desktop version will be far from what I have, but with my XPS 9550 laptop with 16 GB DDR4, I run out of it frequently, hence why I was looking at such high amounts. I know RII lets you set regular ram for video, but I don't fully understand what is going on. Should I bother with ram that needs to be OC in order to get the maximum speed or should I just stick with what gen 11 will natively allow, 3200?

Meant to type the 2 TB version. I currently have a 4 TB portable HDD that has over 2 TB free while my laptop is a 500 GB stick with about 150 GB free so I can hold off on buying more till I find a great deal.

I've read stories about the CPU coolers (fan & radiator) coming into contact with the ram because of the case, but I'll keep an eye out for it. What do I need to look to make sure they're compatible? Been looking at LGA 1200 for socket size.

MBD: ASUS ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming White
    CASE: Phanteks Eclipse P500A White or CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB
    SSD: SAMSUNG 980 PRO 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 Internal Gaming SSD M.2
    RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32 GB or 64 GB OR CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro32 GB or 64
    PSU: ASUS ROG Thor 80+ Platinum 850W Black
    CPU Cooler: Asus ROG Strix LC 360 White or Corsair iCUE H150i

Watching Linus Tech Tips about Corsair and ASUS, might be going for Corsair now. Going to see how this might clock then build an AMD for about the same amount.

Edit: So ASUS ROG MB and GPU can be controlled through Corsair iCue so will just go with Corsair for the case, cooling, ram, and power so I don't worry so much about things not working together and only a couple different labels rather than half a dozen (OCD doesn't like things being non uniform). Corsair sells white RGB fans so I can keep everything white while adding another fan or two for extra cooling.

CASE: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro White 64 GB
    PSU: Corsair RMx White Series RM850x
    CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i White

Newegg has almost nothing I want in stock. Sometimes it lets be add it to my build sometimes it shows they don't have a single graphics card in stock.

Edit 2: With going down on ram I save $400 and am sitting around $2.5k before graphics card which I refuse to pay scalper prices for. I added on $100 for the next gen Intel chips on top of what I'd pay for current gen. Should let me be able to pick up another monitor while still being on budget. Now off to learn everything I don't know, which is basically everything.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; February 26, 2021 at 05:40 PM.

CPU - AMD Build - There's nothing alien that you won't get when installing it on your AM4 MOBO. So don't be shy if you can pick AMD on a better deal than Intel.
    GPU - 3080 Ti is planned to launch on April, with 12GB@1000$ mark. Definitely wait for this or get the 3080. Don't waste on 3090.

If you're going with Intel for sure then Rocket Lake is not worth it and it's better to pick 10900K at a better price discount. Gaming wise both will be around same. 11900K is 10% faster in single core and 12% slower in multi-core than 10900K. So at a higher premium it's not worth it to pick this up.

Let me know when you have finalized everything before purchase and I can take a closer look on every component.

Thanks. Linus Tech Tips uses AMD, will spend the day building a rig for them. Will wait and get 3080 Ti.

Moderator Emeritus

I know RII lets you set regular ram for video, but I don't fully understand what is going on. Should I bother with ram that needs to be OC in order to get the maximum speed or should I just stick with what gen 11 will natively allow, 3200?
    For this, OC ram hardy makes a difference. I recall getting some super duper GSKILL OC'd ram and it doing next to nothing in terms of FPS.

In terms of heavy workloads you might notice a very very slight difference but I really doubt it. Much depends on your OS itself when it comes to RAM management.

I've read stories about the CPU coolers (fan & radiator) coming into contact with the ram because of the case, but I'll keep an eye out for it. What do I need to look to make sure they're compatible?
    The size of the mobo that can fit inside the case gives a good indication of how large one is. If it's an "ATX" case, then that means it's a bigun.

https://www.howtogeek.com/440175/mot...-and-mini-itx/

There's other factors too like the size of the radiator that can fit on the top of the case for example. Or purely the dimensions of the case itself.

Personal opinion: if you're going to spend that much money on things, get a watercooled 3080 ti (a hybrid from EVGA they'll pretty much be guaranteed to make) or if it's out of stock then get the kit for it and try adding it yourself. They make the installation process very simple (you've probably done more difficult things around the house).

https://www.evga.com/products/produc...400-HY-1988-B1
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    There's other factors too like the size of the radiator that can fit on the top of the case for example. Or purely the dimensions of the case itself.
    This is what I was trying to say. Saw Linus put the radiator on the front, not the top. So would I have to get EVGA motherboard? Unfortunately none of the cooling EVGA come in white.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; February 28, 2021 at 05:43 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

No you most definitely do not need a brand specific mobo if you used an EVGA graphics card. The only thing that matters is whether it's specifically a motherboard with a CPU slot on it for intel cpu's or AMD cpu's. Unfortunately due to differing architectures for CPU's specifically the socket type for the CPU matters, so an LGA 1151 socket will not support older intel CPU's or AMD cpu's. You'll also have to make sure the brand new Intel CPU you're going to get 11900k goes with the motherboard socket type you're going to purchase.

Now fortunately for you they included backwards compatability for once (to some extent) but I suspect there may be some quibbling issues or performance issues that might crop up. Or you might not be able to overclock the CPU properly and thus gain another +10 FPS a few years down the line.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16390...z590-coming-q1

Along with the new set of processors, motherboard vendors will be launching a variety of 500-series chipset based motherboards for Rocket Lake, and these motherboards will also support current generation Comet Lake processors. These new chipsets have an x8 DMI link to the CPU, unless a Comet Lake chip is installed, then it is only x4. Similarly, Rocket Lake will also work in 400-series chipsets, and the Z490 motherboards that are advertised with PCIe 4.0 support should have this enabled through a BIOS update. There is one small caveat – Rocket Lake will not work in H410 and B460 motherboards as these use 22nm chipsets. There appears to be some incompatibility here.
    You'll want to be certain your mobo is compatible as the CPU won't be compatible with all old generation mobos.

Like I said though, bottom line is that aside from the CPU + Motherboard you can mix and match brands to your hearts content. Now in theory unless you're going for some super duper weird RGB colour scheme that the other somehow doesn't support (which should be impossible ), you should be able to download the companies software and set the colour scheme to whatever you like to match it. RGB is unified, and companies won't be using some weird other colour gamut. This is because RGB is even what you see on your screen right now, it's a unified approach to color when it comes to computer, nothing proprietary about it.

The only concern for you is what the LED's on your specific part are capable of. Not all LED's can produce all the different styles of light, neither are all LED's actually reliable (sometimes they're cheaply made).

While icue or whatever else might make things slightly easier, I'm not really sure it's worth the added cost for something you set up once and then forget about for 10 years unless you enjoy constantly changing it.

Honestly it sounds to me like you could use your own custom LED solution if you're that interested in lighting specifically.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Finished both builds, now just need to weigh (not way) pros and cons. AMD build is about $200, have no idea if it's worth it.

Intel
    GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 Ti (price gouging)
    CPU Cooler: Asus ROG Strix LC 360 White or Corsair iCUE H150i

AMD
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (price gouging)
    MBD: ASUS Prime X570-Pro Ryzen 3
    GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 ti (price gouging)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i White

EDIT: Why do I flock to where people price gouge? Also a Warhammer fan where this crap happens too.

Think I'm going with the AMD build, but since CPUs and GPUs (and PSUs) are in low supply, will just wait for things to go on sale
    Last edited by NorthernXY; March 02, 2021 at 09:29 AM.

5950X will crush 11900K. 11900K has only 2-5% gain in single thread while it has -89% lower score in multi thread, which is the actual future. Also AMD @105 W TDP vs. Intel @125 W, so it's more efficient overall. But I think it\Intel one will priced quite low since it's a 8 core processor.
    Rocketlake is just a marketing sales filler. Alderlake is the only challenge that Intel has to give to AMD this year and that's why they're pushing hard for Alderlake to release in H2, 2021. Interestingly, this is also forcing AMD to push Zen3+ and Zen 4 release in early 2022.

They're saying that Chinese new year raised the price even further and that's why market is hoping to stabilize at least in supply from April onwards. Ethereum is also going down. So getting the rig from April target should help your wallet.

As for the CPU cooler, go with the Corsair one. Since you can tweak both RGB cooler, case & RGB corsair RAM from iCuE software.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Best wishes for your build!

FWIW, I agree the 11900 K doesn't make sense because it's only 8 cores and 10 cores+ seems like a better proposition for the future. I went with the Intel 10850K because it was on sale around Black Friday last year. It's got a 14 nanometer die and doesn't do as well as Zen 3 on 7 nanometers but it's pretty good and I think will be fine for gaming for the next three years or so, which is and will be my main use. I also think PCIe 4 SSDs are things to look forward to in the coming years but not so relevant for the next several years. I also decided to put 4 sticks of (8 gig) RAM in my rig because that boosts frames in games a bit, as opposed to 2 sticks.

The 10850K and 10900K use a lot more power than the Ryzen 5000s which is a negative. But...the Ryzen 12 core 5900x was $150 more msrp than what the 10850K cost when I was shopping and I concluded the bargain was good enough to buy instead of waiting for AMD. My 10850K temps are good paired with an EK AIO 360 mm radiator which fits at the top interior of the Phanteks 500a case. I added an old fan of my own to the front of the case so I have two intake fans, a rear exhaust fan and the three AIO radiator fans pumping air out the top of the case. The Strix board I have even has a little VRM cooling fan. Lots of air flow.

If you are building for gaming on your budget, 80% of your performance at 1440p and 4K is going to come down to the GPU. I was lucky finding a Strix 3080 OC on Newegg in early December. Things have gotten crazy since then and I probably would be running this rig with my old 1080 ti if I'd built before finding a GPU which would really suck. I think the 3080 ti sounds great but it appears there is very little chance they'll become widely available this year, however if you are willing to pay 2x msrp ~$2000 maybe you will find it this year and more power to you. But I would wait to build until I have that GPU in hand, everything else depends upon it, including the having enough left in your budget for the rest of your build. By that time the next gen Ryzen's cpus may be out and perhaps even Alder Lake.

I got my 3080 for $850 + tax, and the rig cost $2500 for everything. The 3080 is an amazing card and really boosts performance at 2K and 4K resolutions and I love it. But it's got shortcomings namely only 10G of VRAM. It usually averages around 50s to 60s fps at 4K in modern games and it sometimes whines a bit (coil whine). The Phanteks case is great but also is a bit loud under load when the fans running full blast. I don't care, apparently Gamers Nexus got much better noise results turning the fan curve down. I'm not doing that yet.
    Last edited by Huberto; March 06, 2021 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    5950X will crush 11900K. 11900K has only 2-5% gain in single thread while it has -89% lower score in multi thread, which is the actual future. Also AMD @105 W TDP vs. Intel @125 W, so it's more efficient overall. But I think it\Intel one will priced quite low since it's a 8 core processor.
    Rocketlake is just a marketing sales filler. Alderlake is the only challenge that Intel has to give to AMD this year and that's why they're pushing hard for Alderlake to release in H2, 2021. Interestingly, this is also forcing AMD to push Zen3+ and Zen 4 release in early 2022.

They're saying that Chinese new year raised the price even further and that's why market is hoping to stabilize at least in supply from April onwards. Ethereum is also going down. So getting the rig from April target should help your wallet.

As for the CPU cooler, go with the Corsair one. Since you can tweak both RGB cooler, case & RGB corsair RAM from iCuE software.
    Just got the cooler on sale. What do you think of the motherboard?

My laptop is over 5 years old, but was fairly top of the line. Until ThrottleStop stopped letting me undervolt it, ran pretty well. Most of my games are more CPU than GPU, like EU4, so I can somewhat get away from needing a GPU first.

Motherboard is excellent with true 14-phase power delivery, doesn't have the premium features like in-built Wifi and other stuff which i personally don't prefer as it can be added later on without having to spend much on MOBO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Motherboard is excellent with true 14-phase power delivery, doesn't have the premium features like in-built Wifi and other stuff which i personally don't prefer as it can be added later on without having to spend much on MOBO.
    Thanks, was thinking of getting one with WIFI, but if it's not worth it I'll pass. Tried to avoid USB 2.0, really surprised how often I see it on cases and MoBos.

The ASUS ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming White is cheaper and has more features than the one I chose for AMD of comparable prices. Guess I'm paying extra for the brand.

EDIT/UPDATE: SAMSUNG 980 PRO 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 Internal Gaming SSD M.2 Just got back in stock on newegg.com and $50 under MSRP.

EDIT2: Pretty much everything is/was on sale except the CPU, GPU, and case. PSU is $100 less, RAM $40 less, and the MoBo was $61 (sold out too quick for me) less than a month ago. Was really hoping to get that MoBo; could always buy a cheap CPU then have a serviceable computer till I could get a good CPU and GPU.

EDIT3: Somehow got an even cheaper MoBo, last one and 4x16 GB 3200 16C RAM for $266 when it was going for $350 at the cheapest.

Do I even need/could use a built in Wifi when I can plug my computer directly into the modem?

Can't find any AMD 9 5950s for reg price, same with RTX. Top Intel chips can at least be purchased.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 17, 2022 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Clean-up

Ten percent premium is digestible.

Considering if you're buying an eight hundred buck chip, you're also likely combining that with a three hundred buck plus motherboard, maybe another five hundred bucks for the monitor, four hundred bucks for the memory, two hundred bucks for storage, and who know how much for the graphics.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the CPU. Though it's more 20% than 10%. I don't need a GPU so I can wait on better prices. I'm just apprehensive of AMD having never had one before. Hoping that fact their scarcity means it's the best option. I do I a lot of 3D printing and design these days so getting rendering times down compared to my 6700 i9 laptop with 960 Geforce would be nice.

Just pulled the trigger on a sub $900 5950. Which was the cheapest I've found that wasn't being bid on.

My cheap RAM never came; so have to get at least a 2x16, then add more later. I max out at 2x8 on my laptop all the time right now so I think having 32 GB total isn't overkill. I'd upgrade my laptop ram if it wasn't 5+ years old and I wasn't planning on getting a Microsoft Surfac next year.

Canceled my CPU; scalpers are asking for less and less so will wait till August to buy it when I should be able to pay for the rest of the parts.

Some final questions.

1. Thermal paste. Is it worth it? Guessing yes because it's like $7.

2. Windows. How do I install it? Seen mostly it being sold and downloaded, need to figure out how to install with the BIOS.

3. Corsair iCUE. Anybody familiar? Each iCUE hub only allows 6 fans, but want at least 1 more to blow air out the back. Also thinking about some more internal fans in the yellow doted line area.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 17, 2022 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Clean-up

Moderator Emeritus

1 get it
    2 flashdrive, or burn iso to disk https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-40c3b507420d
    3 no idea
    The AI Workshop Creator

1. Thermal Paste is essential but may not be needed. Most good CPU AIOs come with pre-applied paste which are good. But if you want to pick one then TG Kyronaut or Gelid Extreme or Noctua NT-H1 or Arctic MX-4 would do the job.
    2. Buy a legit non-OEM key directly from Microsoft Windows Pro or Home - 64 Bit and then install it by flashing it on USB flashdrive using Rufus. Rufus has a pre-select option for UEFI mode which is what BIOS have these days.
    3. That yellow dotted area is for a 360 Rad on the side for your AIO CPU cooler. Install other system fans on the front and top accordingly.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Once in a while thermal paste may fail you before CPU/computer replacement, and the pre-applied paste is not 100% certain to come nor may it be perfect when it does. So another voice in favor of getting it, just to have a backup tube for your PC toolkit.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Thank you all for your help, it has been really uplifting with what I've been going through. I used to be better at figuring things out on my own (former biochemist w/ 166 IQ) but I had a dangerous reaction to a prescribed drug over a year ago that resulted in brain damage and my dopamine (happy, focus chemical) levels being non existent. Now on disability. I had hoped by the time I got everything and price gouging subsided I'd be back to a fraction of myself but alas, no.

Anyway, the graphics card I listed is still almost 1.8x the MSRP, used, on eBay. I'm not getting anything out of video games at the moment so don't need a high end GPU to play them, right now. I pass a lot of time 3D printing and searching the internet for models (my pile of shame grows daily) on my Dell XPS 9550 with a 950 GPU. The GPU rarely goes beyond 45 C.

Long story short. Followed link from @z3n, Windows on USB done through Microsoft store. Nothing paid so I'm worried. Newegg says I need to pay $100 for Windows and then a GPU (as in the only things left to get in their build mode). Do I need to buy a very, VERY cheap GPU to make it run for now or can I limp along till the 97th most popular GPU on Newegg is no longer price gouged?

EDIT: I now dislike Newegg more. In order to prevent individuals from buying lots of GPUs at a time they make you put "hot" items in your PC build then check-out and have them assemble it.

To qualify for the assembly service, items selected in the build need to be shipped from Newegg California warehouse. By turning on the "Need Assembly Service?" toggle, we will display a list of the qualified items. Some items may not be qualified and will not be displayed. See FAQ for details.
    If I load the GPU I want in the builder first, it gives no cases optional for the build, there-by making the purchase impossible.

So everything but the GPU is assembled, but I have no signal after turning on. Fans and LED on MB and AIO working fine.

EDIT: Nice repair guy confirmed I need a GPU in order to get a signal even though the MB has a HDMI output. I guess it goes from the CPU to GPU to MB in that case.

If anybody finds a great deal on a cheap GPU let me know. Will sell it or toss it as soon as I get the one I actually want. Probably need to order a new HD. Could never imagine as a I'd need enough storage for 4+ TB. All my 3D printing files take-up a lot of space.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 17, 2022 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Clean-up

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast