Thread: MTW Viking invasion regular campaign

Default MTW Viking invasion regular campaign

Greetings:

I've recently gotten the viking invasion to my original MTW(thanks steam) and i've had no issues playing the viking invasion. However I then started a campaign in the early period of the regular campaigns as the holy roman empire and I can't build anything past the unit level of the viking invasion game. No crossbows, no chivalric anything, no pikes or halberds. It's as if all of the higher level units are no longer available. Even the building descriptions don't list them as buildable. So no swiss halberds in switzerland, no pikes, no caravels nothing. was there some kind of fix or patch or a setting somewhere that fixes this? I'm using v2.01 of the viking invasion.

Thanks if anyone is still reading this section.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: MTW Viking invasion regular campaign

Some units and innovations in warfare are not available or for recruiting until the high era or in the late era.

Early era
    • Denmark - Huscarls (the same unit as the Vikings in the Viking Invasion)
    • English - Fyrdman
    • Germans - Swabian Swordman (only in the Swabia region)
    • Italians - Italian Infantry (always available, if the required building(s) exist)

High era
    • Almohads - Faris
    • English - Billmen, Longbowman
    • Eqypt - Mamluks Gunner (uniqe unit for Eqypt and appear in the late high era once gunpowder has been discovered)
    • Ottomans - Turkomans Infantry, Futawaa (not sure if I spell it correctly)
    • Catholics - Chivalry Knights, Halberdier, Swiss Halberdier (owner of the Swiss region), Caravel (Deep Sea, except for the Italians IIRC)
    • Islamic - Bagala (Deep Sea)

Late Era
    • Germans, Italians - Gothic Knights
    • Spain - Lancers

Of course I may have missed a few units, but what I listed above is what I remember.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Pikes, halabardiers, crossbowmen and arbalesters are not available in early period but are possible to train when you reach specific year. Same for gunpowder units and artillery.
    It was always like this.
    "Its a GUNDAM!"
    "Nope. This is Polish Winged Cavalry."

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Eras are quite important in MTW because they clearly outline the differences in units available - Varangian Guards, which are one of the best Byzantine units, are only available for recruitment in the Early era. (and possibly High)

This means that Late era units are not available for recruitment early on. Time has to pass pretty much. Also gunpowder units too - only after 1260.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Okay so even if you build the requisite buildings you can't build the units until a particular year or not at all if you start in from a particular period. So if Caravel's are not available to early era i'll never be able to build one unless I play high era, same with crossbows etc. It must be something that always came with the viking invasion expansion because in the original version units were available if the buildings were built. Usually the later units took a long while to get to because of how long it takes just to build, but caravels were available once you built the second level dock no matter which era you started in, same with crossbows and arbalests. I was very excited to get my chivalric infantry and even more excited when i finally got my chivalric knights.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSHope View Post
    Okay so even if you build the requisite buildings you can't build the units until a particular year or not at all if you start in from a particular period. So if Caravel's are not available to early era i'll never be able to build one unless I play high era, same with crossbows etc.
    No. You're wrong. Of course you can recruit a caravel or a crossbowman, even if you started your campaign in the early era.

So, what do you need to do when playing the early era and that's like this.

crossbowman - bowyer's workshop
    caravel - shipyard
    starting year for the high era (1205)

The easiest way to notice when the high era starts are the royal bodyguard, which cost more in the high era (525) then in the early era (325) since every prince will control a royal bodyguard at the age of 16 in-game.

It must be something that always came with the viking invasion expansion because in the original version units were available if the buildings were built.
    You can't compare the Medieval campaign with the Viking campaign due for a different time era and the Viking campaign also have some unique buildnings e.g shrine, warhold, fortifications, farming etc.

Besides, era (early, high, late) as it is in the Medieval campaign doesn't exist in the Viking campaign.
    Last edited by Leonardo; March 03, 2021 at 04:04 AM.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

If I remember correctly, Medieval 2 TW has the same mechanic as well, only after a certain time you get the late units unlocked and available for recruitment.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    No. You're wrong. Of course you can recruit a caravel or a crossbowman, even if you started your campaign in the early era.

So, what do you need to do when playing the early era and that's like this.

crossbowman - bowyer's workshop
    caravel - shipyard
    starting year for the high era (1205)

The easiest way to notice when the high era starts are the royal bodyguard, which cost more in the high era (525) then in the early era (325) since every prince will control a royal bodyguard at the age of 16 in-game.

You can't compare the Medieval campaign with the Viking campaign due for a different time era and the Viking campaign also have some unique buildnings e.g shrine, warhold, fortifications, farming etc.

Besides, era (early, high, late) as it is in the Medieval campaign doesn't exist in the Viking campaign.

SO that then is my issue. I recently installed the viking invasion expansion and the "regular" campaign doesn't allow recruitment of units past a certain tech level. I built the bowyers workshop as the Holy Roman Empire and was not able to recruit crossbowmen. I built the dockyard (shipyard level II) and couldn't recruit caravels. I kept going thinking it was kind of wierd but maybe because certain units were now "unique" to various factions. When I got to the point where I fulfilled the requirements for halberdiers, Pikemen, swiss halberdiers and swiss pikemen and none of them were available to recruit... that's when I jumped on and asked because those at least should be unique to the holy roman empire. (even though just owning switzerland as certain christian factions should be enough with the right buildings to build them) I can't build chivalric men at arms, or anything chivalric or higher tech. I can build the buildings, but not the units and the buildings no longer have the units that could or should be recruitable listed in the description. Bowyers workshop doesn't list crossbowmen as a unit that can be recruited. It's almost as if there is a tech limit that has bled over from the expansion into the regular game. I've played from early era to nearly 1200 AD and can't recruit anything past the "viking expansion" tech level.

I've played from early era to nearly 1200 AD and can't recruit anything past the "viking expansion" tech level.
    Like I said, you need to be in year 1205 before being able to recruit a caravel or a crossbowman. Aside for the royal knights you can right click on a building and check what can be recruited plus you also get information about what building that's required for a specific unit like the Feudal Knights.

Which can be recruited in the early era, provided that you have built Horse Breeder+Armours Workshop+Royal Estate first. I know this is time consuming and sometimes boring, but that's how the game works.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That picture is some border nightmare material right there, Leonardo!

What do you mean?