Thread: What is the best battle formation for land battle if you are going to take an offensive stance?

Default What is the best battle formation for land battle if you are going to take an offensive stance?

For example if the enemy army doesn't want to come at you ( sometimes some AI armies when you play single player campaigns just wait for you ), what battle formation would you choose in order to advance toward the enemy in a battle in the open? And what if in case the enemy waits for you on a elevated hill?

Does the battle formation for an offensive stance depends on what type of units the enemy has more? ( for example if it has more cavalry than you or more ranged units than you or more melee infantry than you, etc? )
    Last edited by twgamer20197; February 23, 2021 at 04:18 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: What is the best battle formation for land battle if you are going to take an offensive stance?

Yes, it depends on the types of units, for me. If I have cavalry superiority, my ranged units go in front, otherwise they'll be behind a line of melee units.

If the enemy waits on a hill, I'd look at the terrain. If the enemy has a lot of ranged units, I'd approach in a forested area if I could. I haven't had much success with trying to draw out enemy units and encourage them to move out of a defensive position such as a hill-top, unless I have artillery (or occasionally with horse archers). Have other players been able to do this?
    Last edited by Alwyn; February 27, 2021 at 05:54 AM.

Default Re: What is the best battle formation for land battle if you are going to take an offensive stance?

Quote Originally Posted by twgamer20197 View Post
    Does the battle formation for an offensive stance depends on what type of units the enemy has more? ( for example if it has more cavalry than you or more ranged units than you or more melee infantry than you, etc? )
    Absolutely. In fact, in most situations the enemy units matter more than the terrain given that the hills that provide some real advantage in Rome II are rare even if you're in a hilly region. If I'm going against ranged superiority for example I'll have to screen my army with some fodder and rush the enemy. Same goes for cavalry in most cases: you don't want to give your opponent time to micromanage counteroffensives.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I haven't had much success with trying to draw out enemy units and encourage them to move out of a defensive position such as a hill-top, unless I have artillery (or occasionally with horse archers). Have other players been able to do this?
    Like you, my only success comes from artillery, and even then an experienced player will sit there and maneuver rather than leave their position. Against the AI, some simple bait or artillery will draw them out well enough, but a good player holding a defensive position is pretty much impossible.

The best I can do is plan an attack where I can dishevel the enemy line and take advantage of the chaos. Shock infantry and frenzy are your friends here.