Thread: Historical army composition in gameplay

Default Historical army composition in gameplay

So i would like to know your historical army composition and how you capable to maintain or improvise it throughout the game.

For example i use 4 hastati and 4 principes but to represent roman socii i replace 2 hastati and 2 principes with 4 samnite or socii infantry.

However often i found myself running out of allied manpower thus i find myself recruit 4 hastati and 4 principes more often than with socii until eventually i decided that it's better to just upgrade socii into latin constitution for easier recruitment

Edit : Also are any of you had euzonoi or any psiloi in your army composition? Because i find my struggling to justify putting them when i have access to a better auxilliary such as kretan, thracian or persian
    Last edited by eyelurker; February 23, 2021 at 12:00 AM.

Default Re: Historical army composition in gameplay

Euzonoi can be trained and retrained in nearly any settlement with Hellenistic colonization, whereas the units you mentioned are regionals. However, said regionals are much better in melee combat

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

The Socii government has been amended in the patch to keep the Italic units around longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    Euzonoi can be trained and retrained in nearly any settlement with Hellenistic colonization, whereas the units you mentioned are regionals. However, said regionals are much better in melee combat
    This basically. One are you standard while the others are the premium you can get in lower numbers. Also Euzonoi I find is quite good for its role. Its still a skirmisher unit, so you have to realistic about what you ask of it, but it its a bit better at its basic job and much more durable overall. In a pinch it can still do melee even if poorly. It beats akonkistai notably in every department that matters for melee. Much hgiher total defence and much notably better morale discipline, together with formation tightness and mass means it can at least keep enemy troops occupied for a while. Its not punch holes through the enemies main line, but if things aren't going your way, once ammo is depelted it can try to flank, reinforce a unit that its struggling or delay a threat to your main troops.

We will either find a way, or make one.

I'd probably have 2-3 units of Socii, and more have that represented in the Cavalry. Half of Roman Cavalry during the Second Punic War period was allied after all.

I use several sets of socii.

When my army is coming back at home, I generously send back my Socii contingent to his native communauty, and I (the Senate) call another contingent coming from another communauty.

The contingent that stay in Italy also give me a tactic force to deal with rebels and for the military service roleplay of my young romans along with my urban legions (the newly recruited legions that stay in the Latium).

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

Needless to say, in the patch there are a lot more socii units to choose from.