Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: [HS] The Rise of the Beggar King

Alertoverlord's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: [HS] The Rise of the Beggar King

Quote Originally Posted by Mergor View Post
    Look at my faction Gimli.

Defensive positioning? On the coast, on the Tyrell front, on the Stoney Sept front? I have the same amount of starting armies as Tullies, but thrice the enemies. I have no hopes of winning on the sea against Greyjoy. All my neighbours have a better economy than me. I wasted 4000 gold on a mine which didn't work, and Jadli told me "eh, your fault".
    You have no context on my deals. You know full well that I was the only one in our group who tried influencing Greyjoy to be honorable and don't play a double agent.
    And everyone knows full well that I try winning hopeless wars out of spite, so if I straight up surrender, something is really bad. You could not sell my faction to someone turn 1 after the events happened even if you tried. That is telling.

And just saying, you had no issues with me working together with Targ. Now THAT was anti-rp.
    Well, if you're keen on bringing me into this mess. I'd like to know of how we were working together? Nothing agreed upon, and certainly abiding by the rules. Simply asking, "How goes the war?" and sharing accessible information obviously isn't an alliance, so, let's not pretend that was the case, especially when you made your intentions known from the start as I did with mine.

You should calm down, things happen. Going off on one and clogging up the thread is simply not necessary, especially something which has/can be resolved. There is no need for any of this, it is only creating more tension and fueling resentment.
    Last edited by Alertoverlord; April 25, 2021 at 05:22 PM.

This poor little thing is getting rather dusty.

Mergor's Avatar T H E | G O R

I am completely calm, whether you believe it or not. The simple fact is however, that this hotseat's game design have made it a chore for Lannister to play. I tried to wiggle around, I tried talking to Tyrell, I tried talking to Tully, shut doors awaited me. I tried talking to Baratheon, (and in all fairness, Tywin is a pragmatist and a family man, so in my logic, he would surely swallow his pride to save his family from annihialation, like he swallowed his pride not to kill Tyrion because he was a Lannister) and when a deal was reached, I was now shut down by the admins. "Go back, suffer some more in your impossible position".

You ought to tell me one good reason why I shouldn't leave. And I am not thinking about leaving because I am butthurt, I am talking about leaving because this is a damn chore for me, not a game. And it would be a chore for anyone in my position, I dare anyone to deny that. And you know, the funniest thing is that even if I stayed, the moment somebody would win at the other side of the map would call it a day and the HS would just end with me being in a stealmate. Like in WA, right Jadli?

I am sorry that I am talking about leaving due to reasons like this. But anyone who knows me also knows that I did not do a single thing like this in over 3 years. So perhaps, instead of trying to put the blame on me in a situation like this, at least acknowledge that the game is rigged against me. And then we can talk about if Lannisters wants to take revenge on its enemies or not despite that.

You ought to tell me one good reason why I shouldn't leave. And I am not thinking about leaving because I am butthurt, I am talking about leaving because this is a damn chore for me, not a game. And it would be a chore for anyone in my position, I dare anyone to deny that. And you know, the funniest thing is that even if I stayed, the moment somebody would win at the other side of the map would call it a day and the HS would just end with me being in a stealmate. Like in WA, right Jadli?

I am sorry that I am talking about leaving due to reasons like this. But anyone who knows me also knows that I did not do a single thing like this in over 3 years. So perhaps, instead of trying to put the blame on me in a situation like this, at least acknowledge that the game is rigged against me. And then we can talk about if Lannisters wants to take revenge on its enemies or not despite that.
    If you have already decided then I won't force you to stay. I have no intentions of ending the game so early, and will happily play on until everyone has bent or the circumstances have arrived for the game to finish. I'm not trying to shift any blame onto anyone, I just don't want this nonsensical arguing on the thread, it achieves nothing, delays progress, and creates a climate which is incredibly toxic. We're all playing to have fun, and unfortunately issues arise but we work through it. Ideally, you should be refunded for the broken mine, unrelated to your current qualms but none the less. You're undoubtedly in a difficult situation, but considering we're playing with within RP guidelines, what else can you do?

At present, I'm facing Baratheon, Stark, Tully, Tyrell, Hightower, Arryn, and Greyjoy, but there's no point in worrying. It is what it is.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

@Alert

I already told you before, sharing info outside of the game that Lanny and Targ would never share in game, is the same like doing so in game, hence against the rules, so you better cut it finally. You yourself tried to get Tyrion a few turns ago, which didnt make much sense lorewise for either side either...

Telling other people to calm down or that they create toxic environment is not helpful at all, its kind of what creates toxic environment.

@Merg

Yes, your situation is very bad, but thats how the situation turned out as part of roleplay decisions by some players, and your hands are currently tied.

Tywin is pragmatic yes, but the honour and legend of House Lannister is everything to him, hence acknowledging the incest and forgiving his daughter being strangled doesnt seem like something that he would do, it would basically be death to who he is and what he was trying to build. He may be eventually forced to surrender when the lannisters are utterly loosing... but House Lannister is the most powerful and proudest house in Westeros, and they have not suffered any decisive defeat yet, while having strong defensive position, and while their enemy is facing other much bigger threat. A pragmatic decision to save House Lannister's name right now would be playing defensively and waiting till their enemies destroy each other, which is going to open new (diplomacy) options. Currently, some houses probably stay under Baratheon because it seems as the safest choice... but the Crown is loosing to the invaders, lot of people are likely going to die here, hence diplomacy situation is going to change .

Your position would be hopeless, if there was no Targ invasion... but there is. Due to the nature of the map, Tully/Arynn/Stark cant really do much against you. Baratheon have to focus mainly at The Targ invasion, and so does at least half of The Reach. The only big issue are the Greyjoys, but the experience is strongly on your side in this case... So I would say if you manage to deal with the Greyjoys, you should still be able to defend well, and hence till some major battles with the Greyjoy or The Reach, its definitely not clear whether the situation is hopeless or not.

Thats the point of "RP" hotseats that you often cant do something thats the best for your faction, and hence very unusual and interesting situations are created, and I personally enjoy trying to deal with them, and dont mind loosing due to it.

The experience is definitely on your side, as well as the Targ invaders, so I think there is a pretty big chance, that you dont get defeated any time soon, and hence new options will likely arise at some point. Or they dont, and you crush your weakened enemies eventually.... But up to you, thats how the diplomacy situation is right now. The situation looked similarily dire for The Lannisters at the beginning of ASOIAF, but they got through it as well...

Also, can someone update me on Greyjoy diplomacy? Seems to me that Balon is too happy declaring allegiances and alliances, while he shouldnt likely be interested in anything else, than paying the iron price for his wooden crown... (and The Crown killed his two sons and took the third one hostage, while sacking and humiliating Iron Isles. His hands should be definitely tied in a similar manner towards most factions here, plus combined with the ironmnen ways...)

Imho, those things are not supposed to be enforced upon players, because that wouldnt work well and nobody would have fun... players are supposed to willingly do their diplomacy and choices in spirit the lore (and I believe that lore is well known to everyone, as its a mainstream). I cant be running around every 5 turns to stop some weird deals from happening. If several of you guys are not comfortable with that your choices should reflect the lore characters, then we better abandon it entirely, as it will never work as whole, if some people dont follow it. Up to you, Im here just to follow the spirit in whch the HS was hosted. If most ppl want it different, then say so.

Anyway, seems to me there is too much talking and not enough "deeds". I suggest you guys just play for now, following the current diplomacy layout, and see how it plays out....
    Last edited by Jadli; April 26, 2021 at 03:17 AM.

"as part of roleplay decisions by some players, and your hands are currently tied." - Yeah well, is there nothing wrong with that sentence?
    And you tell me how I am defending if greyjoy & friends park three stacks in unbeatable ships near Casterly rock.
    The balance is just trash, thats the simple answer to all this, and there is something really bad when the only thing going for me is my "experience".

Tyrell up: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen..._Tyrell_T6.sav
    I'll think about my position until my next turn.

Gaming Emeritus

Real Tom will be replaying his turn, as obviously letting tyrell and hightower fleets/armies alive wasnt the best decision (and tyrell fleets largely were the reason why Iron Isles rebellion was crushed anyways), so hold on with playing you turn Mergor (that is, if you intend to stay)

EDIT

Yay, you already played. I suppose you dont mind replaying once Real Tom replays? (as it will indirectly help you as well...)

"as part of roleplay decisions by some players, and your hands are currently tied." - Yeah well, is there nothing wrong with that sentence?
    Well, thats the kind of situations that RP hotseats aim to create...
    Last edited by Jadli; April 26, 2021 at 03:53 AM.

Ill let a replay but what, it means Greyjoy now goes to war with Tyrell and Highgarden?

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    @Alert

I already told you before, sharing info outside of the game that Lanny and Targ would never share in game, is the same like doing so in game, hence against the rules, so you better cut it finally. You yourself tried to get Tyrion a few turns ago, which didnt make much sense lorewise for either side either...

Telling other people to calm down or that they create toxic environment is not helpful at all, its kind of what creates toxic environment.
    Discussing information which is publicly accessible isn't against the rules, am I simply not allowed to talk to other players? Will I have to block all my enemies in-game?
    And as for you bringing up the Tyrion situation, that was straight forward and taking references from the book and more accurate than you would believe given your narrow minded assumptions based on the reality from the TV show which brings us onto the next subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    Real Tom will be replaying his turn, as obviously letting tyrell and hightower fleets/armies alive wasnt the best decision (and tyrell fleets largely were the reason why Iron Isles rebellion was crushed anyways), so hold on with playing you turn Mergor (that is, if you intend to stay)
    Now if this isn't the most absurd take I have seen in my years of hotseating. Greyjoy has already played and reached a decision on his own accord, it is not going against guidelines in the HS, none what-so-ever, if he seeks to engage in diplomacy and make deals with other players, he may do so and reap the consequences for his actions. Considering EVERYTHING is out of the open, and the entire thread is clogged now, it must go on. Having Greyjoy re-play will only put him at a serious disadvantage (Which you undoubtedly know) but more importantly its almost as if you are forcing a player once again into something against their own will, which is simply unacceptable. If we're following your own 'consensus' on RP guidelines, should the Lannisters and Greyjoys not have had peace to begin with? Due to bad history? Almost the same for every faction, which really is pushing it if that's your excuse, it really is.

Edit - Greyjoy's move has been known for almost four days. You had not protested once with his decision, not a word, so why the sudden change of heart? Little weird, no? Very peculiar indeed. Why would anyone go against an advantage? Especially when Greyjoy's concerned with Tyrell, they have their own interests, but forcing them into something due to a quote you half-heard on the television series on the mentality of the Ironborn is absurd. I'm sure you're more than aware of how such an agreement was reached, and their own verdict among players was more than reasonable. If you're that unhappy with players decision that you submit to meddling in justified actions then there is no point in continuing this hotseat.
    Last edited by Alertoverlord; April 26, 2021 at 05:33 AM.

Bantu Chieftain's Avatar Biarchus

After starting the hotseat i hear complaints about unbalanced ships. Why didnt you balance or at least check the mod before starting it?

It almost seemed to me that Gimli started this hotseat with the idea of joining the apparent winning side. Now that one front closed in, the odds go against him and i hear new complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantu Chieftain View Post
    After starting the hotseat i hear complaints about unbalanced ships. Why didnt you balance or at least check the mod before starting it?

It almost seemed to me that Gimli started this hotseat with the idea of joining the apparent winning side. Now that one front closed in, the odds go against him and i hear new complaining.
    As far as I'm aware Jadli had edited the save to the best of his ability, however. What exactly are you contributing here? Nothing of value, no? Best to not say anything as it appears you're only keen on attacking another player rather than addressing the problem at hand.
    Last edited by Alertoverlord; April 26, 2021 at 07:05 AM.

Gaming Emeritus

Ill let a replay but what, it means Greyjoy now goes to war with Tyrell and Highgarden?
    Thats a bit misleading, the ironborn have been kinda at war with everyone...

Also very helpful, keep going

As was said several times, the mod is in BETA. If you guys wanted another mod, you should have changed it before we started. What we got is we get. Im here to admin the hotseat, not create a HS patch for it (god knows I have too much other modding work)

Anyway, lets stay at the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Alertoverlord View Post
    Discussing information which is publicly accessible isn't against the rules, am I simply not allowed to talk to other players? Will I have to block all my enemies in-game?
    And as for you bringing up the Tyrion situation, that was straight forward and taking references from the book and more accurate than you would believe given your narrow minded assumptions based on the reality from the TV show which brings us onto the next subject.
    If you discussed stuff thats publicly accessible thats totally fine. However, I dont recall you posting intel from your turns (about positions of your enemies, or your own forces and plans) in this thread as I assume thats the kind of things that you were having discussions about. If not, then fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alertoverlord View Post
    Now if this isn't the most absurd take I have seen in my years of hotseating. Greyjoy has already played and reached a decision on his own accord, it is not going against guidelines in the HS, none what-so-ever, if he seeks to engage in diplomacy and make deals with other players, he may do so and reap the consequences for his actions. Considering EVERYTHING is out of the open, and the entire thread is clogged now, it must go on. Having Greyjoy re-play will only put him at a serious disadvantage (Which you undoubtedly know) but more importantly its almost as if you are forcing a player once again into something against their own will, which is simply unacceptable. If we're following your own 'consensus' on RP guidelines, should the Lannisters and Greyjoys not have had peace to begin with? Due to bad history? Almost the same for every faction, which really is pushing it if that's your excuse, it really is.
    Edit - Greyjoy's move has been known for almost four days. You had not protested once with his decision, not a word, so why the sudden change of heart? Little weird, no? Very peculiar indeed. Why would anyone go against an advantage? Especially when Greyjoy's concerned with Tyrell, they have their own interests, but forcing them into something due to a quote you half-heard on the television series on the mentality of the Ironborn is absurd. I'm sure you're more than aware of how such an agreement was reached, and their own verdict among players was more than reasonable. If you're that unhappy with players decision that you submit to meddling in justified actions then there is no point in continuing this hotseat.
    From what I can see, the only thing that puts him into a disadvantage is not destroying those ships. The ironborn are only as important as their dominance in the western sea, hence I advised him to sink them, as on this turn, he had a chance to anihilate large portion of hightower and tyrell fleets, it has nothing to do with the lannisters. As far as Im concerned, he can and should attack whoever he deems worthy, wherever is a good opportunity for a raid. He was originally going to sink those ships anyway, but he wanted to take prisoners (hence why I was contacted), but in the end it didnt happen, which kinda run through me as I have been really focused at other things. They were apparently not sunk and some deal has been made, which I find kind of problematic, hence why I talked to him about it.

Up to Greyjoy, he shall post his decision, as the rules specifically entitle him to anyway.

Also previously, when the greyjoys inquired whether I would give him loan from the iron bank, I told him that it probably wouldnt really make much sense considering the ironmen culture, so it didnt happen in the end, but if he insisted, I would have given him the loan.... Im not saying these things to him for the first time...

A RP hotseat like this means that everyone is supposed to follow the lore to some extent. Not just in cases that are profitable to you.

Gosh, I forgot how fun can Westeros hotseats get
    Last edited by Jadli; April 26, 2021 at 09:15 AM.

so im not good at the post thing but...
    I as Lord of the iron islands choose to stay on the current save and deal with all the consequences that come with that choice

Gaming Emeritus

Then we play on.

Next time try not to change your decision so many times please

blue1924's Avatar Campidoctor

Oh Lord, oh lord, oh lord.

I haven't missed writing books on TWC about thinks like this. Lets take this point by point.

First off, I see some people commenting on OP ships and stuff. There are plenty of us in here that have played this game for a LONG time, and we all know, ships have always been and will always be funky. Jadli has tried to do his best to work with this mod, and we are where we are. I don't think we should hear any more discussion of "OP ships" moving forward.

Now, onto the acts of Greyjoy and the situation with Lannister. I will first point out a statement in the rules section of this hotseat under House Greyjoy: "
    House Greyjoy may also swear fealty to any faction laying claim to the Iron Throne (Robert, Stannis, Renly, Joffrey, Tommen, Viserys)".
    Now, while I am not saying that Greyjoy has sworn fealty to any house. I believe that this rule give the player the freedom to proceed towards a path to doing so by making diplomatic agreements with other factions, especially if they benefit his self-interest (again, I don't know what the exact agreement was). Furthermore, this is still a hotseat, where players need to be given some diplomatic choice other than "Me Greyjoy, me declare war on everyone". And while you all or I may not personally agree with his decision how to play his faction and would have done it a different way, that is his decision to make.

Now, I am sure Mergor is reading this going "if Greyjoy can make his decision, why won't you let me make mine?". And I will start off by saying I totally understand your frustration with the situation. It sucks being in this situation, it sucks being coastally invaded as Lannister and in general just having no allies. But, I do agree that the decision to put Tywin into House Arrest and succeed the faction to Tyrion is just one that does not fit in with the RP spirit of this hotseat. If you have another potential interesting RP decision, I would be interested in hearing it for I do not want you to feel like how have to leave the hotseat. But, like I said before, it is probably best to run any potential controversial RP (and this is for ALL players not just Lannister) through Jadli and myself before bringing it to the rest of the hotseat.

If I am remembering correctly, back in the days before "RP Hotseats" I was one of the first to do something like this when I as Targaryen in a Robert's Rebellion hotseat had Rhaegar sent Aerys to Ned Stark to be beheaded so I would have Stark join the throne. I believe that hotseat was called "Rulers of Westeros 2". (Side Note: I remember Alert was Tyrell and I was so afraid of him betraying me that I betrayed him first ). In that hotseat, I made sure with the Admin that all was clear with that situation before bringing the plan to the rest of the hotseat. Always open for interesting RP, but it has to fall within the realm of what Jadli and I deem possible.

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

As a side note: I think Greyjoy extorting mountains of cash from their helpless enemies is completely in character for them. I think this counts as the "Iron Price".

And yeah, Lannister is pretty screwed, which is really a problem with the overall design of the hotseat. I'll admit I kinda broke the balance when I (Tyrell) swore to Robert. The decision was a good one, and lore-motivated (join the winning side, Margery gets to be queen), but the result is a 5 vs 2 vs 1 Hotseat (with Greyjoy as a wildcard). In those circumstances it's only natural that the great houses will pile onto the "winning" team.

Ultimately I think the issue is more that the overall scenario is one that Robert should win pretty handily unless his enemies pull off some major diplomatic coups.

PS: I think Tywin Lannister is proud, but he's not stupid. If he was forced into a corner where it was a choice between the destruction of House Lannister and bending the knee to Robert he would do it. As evidence, recall that he abandoned Cersie and Joffrey to die during the War of the Five Kings so he could go protect Casterly Rock. He failed in this at the Battle of the Fords, but the principal is the same.

blue1924's Avatar Campidoctor

We have another issue. We were checking today to see if any factions are bankrupt, and have noticed the Greyjoy faction has gone into significant debt.

While Jadli and I understand that maintaining an economy as Greyjoy can be difficult, there are rules for falling into debt, and we will be taking it rather easy in this instance.

The Greyjoy player will be sent a list of units which is going to be required to delete on his next turn.

I understand he may be having money come in, so those units will be all for now. But, if the faction continues to stay in debt further action will be taken.

I would just like to remind anyone again in case they have forgotten the finance rules of this hotseat:
    Finances

-4000 = Troop Desertion

-8000 = The Loss of General Loyalty Traits

-12000 = Faction Destruction

Yeah, might as well make it public, I'm paying him 7k for sparing the fleets, so I expect that will help him balance his budget.

So before I play my turn, what is the Admin's decision on all the RP.

Oh, PS, one more thing: I assume King Robert forgot to mention it, but the Lannisters took The Ring in the Reach. My armies are currently moving in to take it back. Obviously the return of this settlement is a precondition for any peace treaty.

Peace has been already made with different terms (accepted by admins too) which will be announced by Baratheon. The status of The Ring was not among them. - So far. I won't pretend I can keep it, but you cannot just siege it now;D

Pinging the admin to confirm something...

Gimli's Avatar Primicerius

If i wanted an auto-win I would've selected Baratheon - as you start with an outrageously powerful fleet, economy, and generals; also where have the doors closed in, your fleet was suicided last turn; and we are set to advance into the crownlands completely unchecked? A faction barely breaking even on the other side of the map is not a concern.

Not to mention, the scenario represents the real possibility of Tywin having to wage war against the crown on top of a pending Targaryen invasion - the role has always been that the crown has to dedicate forces to defend, or attack the Westerlands in the middle of a Targaryen invasion. This is why the turn 1 decisions are so instrumental in shaping the game - as Baratheon has to consider the negative outcomes of his decision on killing or keeping Cersei alive.
    Last edited by Gimli; April 27, 2021 at 07:03 PM.