Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forts?

Icon3 Forts?

Anyway of bringing them back without the moving wonders? I have enabled them via the files, but when I construct them on the campaign map, they have a wonder near. That kills the immersion for me. I know DBM has forts. Regardless perfect mod for a obsessive, simulation loving guy like me. Thanks to all the creators.

Default Re: Forts?

Quote Originally Posted by Praetor Of Sicily View Post
    I have enabled them via the files, but when I construct them on the campaign map, they have a wonder near.

Sorry, don't have an answer but just thought this was funny. 'Alright men, build the pyramids here, we march at dawn!'

Right, that totally breaks immersion lol. Yea I want a fort, and the statue of Zeus nearby to improve morale. Lol.

Can I get a answer tho??

Quote Originally Posted by Praetor Of Sicily View Post
    Can I get a answer tho??
    i had the same issue (that Quintus aptly called 'wandering wonders') when trying to enable the forts ages ago. the only solution is to rewire them and move wonders to building slots in an adjacent town, I suppose? lot of work, presumably, but would be worth it imho.

There is a fort type for each culture, in EB II they are all used for the wonders that appear on the map. In order to have regular forts again you will have to do away with the wonders which the EB II team is not going to do. You can always replace the EB II wonder forts with forts from another mod.

A compromise I did, was changing the fort lines to vanilla, which removed all wonders tho. At least they are not attached to forts, but stationary wonders are gone.

As a workaround, I use a ship in a harbor as a maritime fort. That keeps the legion out of the city getting lazy and decadent, and prevents the annoying Traitor To His People syndrome. Not possible in land locked provinces, unfortunately.

The more I think about this the more I'd like to have forts back. Particularly for factions like Rome and Carhage, forts were a fundamental parts of employing expeditionary armies. The FIRST thing an army would do in a region would be to establish a fort. They NEVER skipped that. I read about the wonders on the first encounter, and then forget about them. They aren't important.

Bring back forts and make wonder information part of the tourist travelogue features associated with a particular city.

I know the original question was from some time ago, but for anyone interested the reason they are gone (and likely won't be coming back) is that the existence of placeable forts really messes with the campaign AI. They were then convenient as an asset to use for wonders because the decision was made already not to have them.

They mess with the campaign AI how? I wouldn't think they would be much different than watch towers, and those are still in the game.

If the mobs gravitate towards the forts, that is historically accurate. That is, after all, where the enemy is located.

I played a 500 turns campaign with Carthage with around 35 forts around the campaign map and it was good. The AI barely cared about the forts, only attacking them to remove my troops from there.

I, for one, would use a fort every turn for every general in the field and not in a city.

I generally ignore the wonders.

Forts offer far greater utility.

I agree 100%%%

Forts are realistic, immersive. I won't play without em................

Wonders give various benefits tho right?

So do forts. I think I'd rather have the forts,

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator Caesarian View Post
    Wonders give various benefits tho right?
    Yeah. They can also give benefits without requiring a map model. The map model adds a lot of immersion, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleitus the Pink View Post
    Yeah. They can also give benefits without requiring a map model. The map model adds a lot of immersion, however.
    From just the announcement on discovery, or are they visible in the terrain? I've never bothered to go looking for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast