Thread: How to mod a campaign difficulty between Normal and Hard?

Default How to mod a campaign difficulty between Normal and Hard?

I think the differences between difficulties in this game is far too great, and so I'd like to mod a campaign difficulty between Normal and Hard.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Internet searching provided nothing. I also had a look at the game's data.pack file with Pack File Manager, but couldn't see any files that seemed to do it.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: How to mod a campaign difficulty between Normal and Hard?

Difficulties in battle or campaign? For campaign it's easy enough to mod if you go to the right table with the bonuses.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Thanks for the reply.

I play Very Hard battle difficulty, and don't want to change that, but I find Hard campaign difficulty frustratingly tough. So I'd like to create a new campaign difficulty between Normal and Hard. It would probably be easier to diminish the hard difficulty, rather than try and create a separate difficulty.

I've been looking at the data.pack with Pack Files Manager and have found a table that looks like it might affect campaign difficulty: campaign_difficulty_handicap_effects . Hopefully, there aren't other relevant settings related to campaign difficulty in other tables that I haven't found.

I've exported the table to a spreadsheet to try and understand it better. Here's a screenshot:

There are five columns for each difficulty:

campaign_difficulty_handicap

This goes from -3 to +3 and I think relates to the set difficulty level. I don't understand it, though, as it would make seven difficulty levels, whereas the game only has five. In the preferences.script, these are the listed difficulties: -2 is vhard, -1 is hard, 0 normal, 1 easy. However, this page on Total War difficulties for Warhammer has the AI Campaign modifiers as: -1 is Easy, 0 is Normal, 1 is Hard, 2 is Very Hard and 3 is Legendary.

human

This is True or False and presumably stipulates whether the bonus/penalty is applied to the human or AI player.

effect

Name of the bonus/penalty

effect_value

Value of bonus/penalty

optional_campaign_key

Most entries are blank, but a couple have jap_boshin, which may be only for Fall of the Samurai.

I've condensed the table:

I found an explanation for the difficulty numbering:
    First number is difficulty, but it's reversed for AI, so "-3 true" is maximum difficulty, player handicaps, but "3 false" is maximum difficulty, AI bonuses.
    So here's the updated table, which now has five difficulties: