Thread: How about a Rome 2 Total War remake?

Default How about a Rome 2 Total War remake?

In my opinion, there are certain details that need to be both added and improved in Rome 2 Total War. I mean a remasterization of the game. These are the things I believe should be added/improved:

- Each faction should have its own unique cinematic intro before starting a campaign. Also an unique cinematic after finishing and winning the campaign.
    - That navies have the option of disembarking the troops on land ( I mean to continue moving them on land on the map )
    - During a battle you should be able to go back to the ships to both withdraw from battle and escape (If the battle is in a coastal city. For example when there is no hope of winning and you want to save your general and a also a few elite military units )
    - Certain factions that are not playable should become playable ( such as the Medians, the Persians, the Cimbri, the Lucanians and Carthage in Rise of the Republic, etc )
    - I hope it is possible to get a garrison army out of the city ( for example to attack an enemy army which isn't besieging the city yet or to move them on the map like a normal army ).
    - A new campaign plus a dlc
    - More historial battles
    - More diversity in the siege units, infantry units,technologies, buildings, etc among the different factions ( even among factions that belong to the same culture group )
    - I think any point of the map should be able to be zoomed until you get a very close view as if you were in a battlefield.

I'll be thinking of more details to add to the list...

And what would you add to my list and why?

EDIT:
    Can the game developers' lack of ideas be the cause why the don't make a remake?
    Last edited by twgamer20197; February 19, 2021 at 09:27 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: How about a Rome 2 Total War remake?

These sound like great additions if they could be done.

If the game was remastered, I'd like to see AI factions being a little more effective at sustaining and expanding medium-sized empires. In Shogun II, AI factions expand faster than I can, providing a great late-game challenge. I'd like to see more of that in Rome II.

To be fair, AI factions are more aggressive with the Ancestral Update than before. Also, I wouldn't want every medium-sized AI empire to survive or expand - if the player has formed a medium-sized empire and chooses to ally with a similar rising power, there should be risks associated with that (the rising power might take on too many enemies and be defeated, and those enemies might come after the player). Even so, the later stages of the campaign would be more challenging if the AI was better at expanding from medium-sized empires to large ones.

You suggested that the reason why they didn't make a remake was a lack of ideas. They had some good deas when they made the Ancestral Update - a family tree which is active not passive so characters can engage in political intrigues, culture-specific abilities for agents and generals, more historical characters, and a graphics overhaul. My guess is that the reason wasn't a lack of ideas, they simply moved onto other projects (such as Troy and Three Kingdoms DLC.)
    Last edited by Alwyn; February 21, 2021 at 02:11 AM.

I have more ideas:

- That champions can also be attached to navies to improve them

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I agree, it's odd that we can attach champions to armies but not fleets.

- How about creating an option in the politics management section to bring back a character that broke off from your party? For example by paying a certain amount of money or by another method?

- How about persuading a faction to stop fighting against a particular faction? I mean they should add the option of "Make peace with..." in the diplomacy list of offers or demands

- How about performing agent actions against an enemy fleet or enemy admiral?

- How about adding the demand of "Don't attack........without my permission"
    Last edited by twgamer20197; March 22, 2021 at 12:23 PM.

Laetus

How about when you get to occupy main cities or the entire cities of certain nation to be able to produce units aand able to assimilate all their technologies. Having to occupy rome and not able to produce all the elite units after you occupied their main cities is totally unrealistic. The roman incorporated technologies from the occupied cities. It makes no sense not to get their units or moddified units based on their technologies. The same would be great for Mounted archery, once you occupy tobe abble to assimilate their tehcnology and produce your own version.

Laetus

Sorry about errors, was lagging, and cannot find how to edit the post.

If I had like three wishes, I wouldn't spend them asking for things we can easily mod ourselves but instead I would ask for some really important changes to hardcoded things, which means things that we can't mod.

The first one is also the first thing that came to me mind first time I played Rome 2: the game absolutely needs more settlements on the campaign map. There is no way to properly represent antiquity on the current map. This issue was somewhat fixed with the introduction of the IA map (especially Numidia, Phoenicia and Sicily got what they needed) but still Greece, Thrace, Egypt remained the same. More settlements means more factions, more gameplay, more history and more fun.

The second thing it needs is the politics to make sense. Republican roman politics in real life have 0 in common with what we see on the Grand Campaign. Again, this was somewhat fixed in Rise of the Republic DLC but elections should be automatic. And it doesn't even have to be too complex, it could be as simple as the faction trait passing around influential characters. Same for other republics/democracies too. And when it comes to character specific actions, what needs to be added is option for marriages between members of the "other nobles" column and members of the family tree. They could resist if they want, however I think it makes sense to have the option to propose.

Third and last has to do with building slots their number and how they work. Let's not address for now the three slot in the minor settlements/"villages" (actually most "villages" you see in the game were big flourishing cities), they are kinda cute so perhaps these could stay the same (especially if the overall number of settlements gets increased) but big cities certainly need an overhaul. I think I would like the Troy system. Upgrading the settlement building should unlock building slots, and if that gets destroyed the city should lose slots. It makes sense, it's fun, it's balanced and of course it includes 8 building slots compared to the 6 in Rome 2. If this is not implemented at the very least we should have a sixth slot in the city of Rome...

Bonus mentions, I would like to see a proper population system that also works for the AI and is fairly simple and blends well with the rest of the game

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

just a couple of notes (that would require quite some work and... concentration)

1) should be solved around next year... more or less

2) complex lua systems would allow a remake (from almost scratch) for many systems, about diplo/politics and all the others. Usually they would come with a multiplayer loss since its interaction through new spawned UI elements would desync mp

3) more building slots is already doable but... you probably wouldn't be able to open/halt slots so easily I think.
    Adding missing slots to current system is just a startpos addition to specific region array slot entries

What's keeping me from buying Rome 2 are: the diplomacy and the province system. Like, after playing Three Kingdoms, I can't play any other game except Shogun 2, M2 or R1 bc in Shogun 2, at least if you defeat one huge army, you can get any diplomacy as long as you aren't in Realm Divide. In M2 and R1 diplomacy doesn't really matter, so it doesn't really take away my immersion that much. It is annoying seeing an enemy down to one last settlement and everything is 'Very Demanding'. The province system is also annoying IMO and I much prefer 3K's system of provinces, especially as settlements aren't defenceless in Records mode, which is something that can't be said for either Attila or Rome 2. I'd also like an actual population system like in DeI.

In general, I want 3K Records with a Rome coat of paint (and battles that are like EB 2 lmao). Or maybe just EB 2 with 3K diplomacy.

I just wonder:
    How likely is it that the R2TW developers or makers get to see this thread so that they take note of both your ideas and my ideas?

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Adding a clunky and complicated UI and removing all those handy keyboard shortcuts apparently need to be on the list.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Your sarcasm isn't really visible without .^^
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post

In that case then that's too bad because they would be lacking ideas lol

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Things that should be fixed in a theoretical Rome II remaster should be in my opinion:

Naval battles: Ships get stuck all the time, and they can perform some bizarre on-the-spot turns. Also they could expand on the depth, for example the rows were often used as some kind of "shield" to reduce the damage from an incoming ram, or they would be deliberately hit in order to render a ship immobile.

Settlements: The building system in vanilla is rather bland compared to previous games, though with a few good building mods you can certainly spice it up a bit more, but the 4-6 slot system is kinda limiting you. I am not a fan of the "build everything you want" system, as having to strategically decide your next construction is definitely a good system, provided the building system offers many worthwhile choices to consider. Athanasios made the point above, some important cities are missing on the campaign map, yet they can't add literally everything, otherwise the map would be one big clusterf***.

Transports: Yes they were nerfed significantly in later updates (now they move very slowly on the campaign map), but the idea to get the transports immediately is kind of retarded. I understand some reasons behind it (ie no longer having to get a fleet to cross a 5km strait from Calabri to Sicily in Italy for example), but they could get the army to wait a turn before moving on sea on transports, or only allow sea crossing with armies from ports (without the need for a fleet)

Torches in sieges: Retarded mechanic, needs to be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrosmeister View Post
    Things that should be fixed in a theoretical Rome II remaster should be in my opinion:

Naval battles: Ships get stuck all the time, and they can perform some bizarre on-the-spot turns. Also they could expand on the depth, for example the rows were often used as some kind of "shield" to reduce the damage from an incoming ram, or they would be deliberately hit in order to render a ship immobile.

Settlements: The building system in vanilla is rather bland compared to previous games, though with a few good building mods you can certainly spice it up a bit more, but the 4-6 slot system is kinda limiting you. I am not a fan of the "build everything you want" system, as having to strategically decide your next construction is definitely a good system, provided the building system offers many worthwhile choices to consider. Athanasios made the point above, some important cities are missing on the campaign map, yet they can't add literally everything, otherwise the map would be one big clusterf***.

Transports: Yes they were nerfed significantly in later updates (now they move very slowly on the campaign map), but the idea to get the transports immediately is kind of retarded. I understand some reasons behind it (ie no longer having to get a fleet to cross a 5km strait from Calabri to Sicily in Italy for example), but they could get the army to wait a turn before moving on sea on transports, or only allow sea crossing with armies from ports (without the need for a fleet)

Torches in sieges: Retarded mechanic, needs to be removed.

I think there is a problem of lack of ideas in the game developers. They need to get to see this thread in order to inspire them to make a remake

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I agree, it's odd that we can attach champions to armies but not fleets.

The game makers made a blunder there