Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: next historical game

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: next historical game

While Medieval fans have been waiting the longest and in fairness Medieval 3 should come first, I agree with Mr Longbowman that it would be great to see the technological progression from the 1500s to the 1700s. Similarly, when Bret Devereaux made a compelling argument for including composite units (such as units combining spearmen and bowmen or pikemen and musketeers in the same unit) in Total War games, he also argued that:

It is really striking looking at the series that Empire: Total War really was the peak of Creative Assembly’s ambition: a global map, naval battles, a complex trade simulation, multiple forms of government, elections and yes – synchronized infantry drill (though not with composite units). Their games sense then have steadily reduced that scope of features, pruning down to a core that works well (you can see that core in particular working well in TW:Warhammer and Three Kingdoms), but lacks variety.

Creative Assembly needs to take risks again, so this is my suggestion: go back to Empire. I’d love to see the series put the resources into tackling the more complex combat of the 1500s and 1600s (Empire originally had a start-date of 1700, so this would be an expansion of scope), incorporating both composite infantry units (that is, the pike-and-shot system) that actually work as composite units with the ability to alter formations as necessary to respond to changing conditions and use synchronized firing drills. - Bret Devereaux, Collection: Total War's Missing Infantry Type
    While I wouldn't want to lose the 1700s - with events such as the French and Indian War and the American Revolutionary War - I'd enjoy playing a game which covered a longer period.

Maybe the system for creating the Warhammer series - with a new map in each game, and the maps being joined together for players who own both (or all) the games - could be used to create a more detailed version of Empire's map? If it would be too much to include the 1500s to 1700s in the base game, then of course FLC or DLC campaigns could add additional time periods, as they did with Rome II's Imperator Augustus and Empire Divided campaigns, for example.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Maybe the system for creating the Warhammer series - with a new map in each game, and the maps being joined together for players who own both (or all) the games - could be used to create a more detailed version of Empire's map? If it would be too much to include the 1500s to 1700s in the base game, then of course FLC or DLC campaigns could add additional time periods, as they did with Rome II's Imperator Augustus and Empire Divided campaigns, for example.
    That'd be very interesting indeed and as far as the engine's implementation goes, I'd say it's very much possible. But I'm quite sure CA isn't the company it used to be. Evidently they're avoiding risks by turning their hardcore games into more arcade, mass appealing, but less historical titles.
    I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking though.

While I'd welcome ANY new historical title at this point, my love/hate relationship with Empire always resurfaces. I am still hoping for an Empire 2 with a proper world map, starting from the late 17th century and ending just before the 1900s.
    I want to be able to play factions from Africa, southern America and Asia.
    To keep tech going at historical pace, they could implement the same workaround they used in Med2 for gunpowder, setting them as events, basically unlocking parts of the tech tree once a certain date has been reached. Tribal societies could implement the same workaround as the Apachean faction in the Med2 DLC to acquire advanced tech, or through diplomacy.

I'm not against a TW about the pike and shot period, but that would inevitably be just another reworked Med2 map, and I'd REALLY like to see something bigger next.

I think CA has to use a lot of the advances they made with Warhammer and reimplement them in the next historical title, plus the number of potential DLC's for the time period I'd prefer would be impressive.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

There has been no historical game information since last year, when they mentioned that a new title is "under development". Ever since then, radio silence. It's been almost a year if not more ever since we got information.

I'm quite deflated over here, no information and no nothing about historical games.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    There has been no historical game information since last year, when they mentioned that a new title is "under development". Ever since then, radio silence. It's been almost a year if not more ever since we got information.

I'm quite deflated over here, no information and no nothing about historical games.
    That might be for the best of players. A game like Attila will end up another big FRAUD on behalf of CA/SEGA that could mean the total loss of its regular customers trhat are several thousands and a huge loss of money.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Attila TW was a strong game, it wasn't that well sold because it was a period of time that did not resonate with as many players as Rome. (as expected)

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Attila TW was a strong game, it wasn't that well sold because it was a period of time that did not resonate with as many players as Rome. (as expected)
    I am afraid that I will disagree:
    1. Bad siege AI
    2. Fictional siege escalation feature (walls melt from rain and wind).
    3. Only one variant of battle_map settlement per size/per type (coastal /inland)/per culture when M2TW has atleast 4 variants per type.
    4. Missing features that siccefuly inplanted in Shigun II (mounted units dismount to attact to walls.
    5. Minor settlements with walls with HUGE gaps to allow the stupid AI to invade those settlements because AI cannot hundle siege equipment such ladders, rams and siege towers.
    6. Generlas and kings on foot! THAT would be a joke to laugh but in a historical title is for crying !
    7. You can not keep the ships you win after a naval battle like in ETW/Shogun II ...
    8. Transport ships are more pwerfull than war ships!

Do you wish me to continue?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

A good number of those pointers you can level at the design of the more recent games in general, so unless they are unique to Attila and don't extend cross game I don't see a point in ironing out a combined list of grievances for Attila alone. Rather I subscribe to the Basileos's suggestion that Attila itself was overshadowed by Rome 2 and other projects. Of course, it doesn't compare to how overshadowed ToB is even paired with Attila.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

A lot of those @AnthoniusII are by general design due to the Warscape engine, which by now is about 14 years old. It's an issue of the game engine.

And it's also an issue of design, I presume, because as Feudal Knight mentioned here, ToB was overshadowed by Attila. And the sieges in ToB where incredible, it's like you were in a different engine.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, Warscape is getting quite old and it was pretty much problematic since the beginning, to be completely honest

Total War has historical tactical game days that are probably over. Grand tactician: The Civil War is the next game in the evolution of tactical computer wargaming.
    It is still in developed, though released publicly. It is developed by a small team of developers. The tactical aspect is already far superior to TW. The delay orders is a masterpiece for serious tactical gaming. The campaign is also better without the juvenile Character nonsense that CA seems to like that really bogs down the game (especially in 3K). The developers also stated that once this game has been fully developed they will move on to other time periods. I doubt they will do any medial period, but Napoleonic, 18th Century, Pike and Shot all seems plausible.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Any news on what the next historical title would be? We have had no news. I think the last one was 3K.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Unsure. We're still in the realm of hypotheticals...
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

I really want to play something new. I don't remember exactly how many historical games I played anymore. But now I'm really looking for new game mods to experience it. But most of my research, there are still not many new games that I like. Seeing people mention techloky there are a lot of games but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking forward to the next historical game coming out soon.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Welcome to TWC, Darrin Gibbs. I'm looking forward to the next historical game too.

Alhoon asked if there is any news on what the next historical title will be. There doesn't seem to be anything definite. I've seen people like TheTerminator reporting that CA was hiring staff for a new historical game. One job ad by CA referred to a "tent pole" game (which seemed to indicate that it would be a major release, not a Saga) and would involve working with others to "craft and implement vehicles." Of course, the reference to vehicles may refer to a relatively modern setting, but "vehicles" might refer to carts and cannon which be in the medieval period.

We're near to 2023, and with the teams working on a future historical title, I expect that in 2023 we get a new announcement of the future game and in 2024 we see a launch.

We're near to 2023, and with the teams working on a future historical title, I expect that in 2023 we get a new announcement of the future game and in 2024 we see a launch.
    Agree with this in a general sense.

As a first choice I would really like to see something during the empire building parts of the nineteenth - ie Victoria Age, up to just before WW1, covering entire planet and using regional areas very similar to Empire. Second choice would be a kind of Renaissance period, coming in after the Crusades and up to just before the Ages of Discovery.

(My third choice is I'll probably take whatever it is and play the crap out of it! )
    "The trouble with facts is that there are so many of them." - Samuel McChord Crothers

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Welcome to TWC, Darrin Gibbs. I'm looking forward to the next historical game too.

Alhoon asked if there is any news on what the next historical title will be. There doesn't seem to be anything definite. I've seen people like TheTerminator reporting that CA was hiring staff for a new historical game. One job ad by CA referred to a "tent pole" game (which seemed to indicate that it would be a major release, not a Saga) and would involve working with others to "craft and implement vehicles." Of course, the reference to vehicles may refer to a relatively modern setting, but "vehicles" might refer to carts and cannon which be in the medieval period.
    Medieval 3 + Renaissance it is then.

Lord Davn's Avatar Senator

Given the popularity of Medieval II it would seam that an update (remaster) may be instore for the Medieval period, given CA's preference to shy away from gun powder games
    That would seam logical especially with the Intel's 12th gen cpu's not supporting the older games

Feels like ages since I last visited these forums.

I'll probably take any time period I can get, but I have very little interest in eras that focus heavily on gunpowder warfare.

But considering that the 25th anniversary of Total War is coming "soon" (Shogun: Total War released in June 2000), I'm really hoping for a something special in 2025.
    It just feels like the perfect opportunity for them to finally release Medieval III, preferably made using a brand new engine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast