Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Snow on the Bayou

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Snow on the Bayou

Texas is the epitome of all that is wrong with America, and worse of all, these freak storms indicate the glaring fact that the United States has strayed from the path of righteousness and God. Americans are effectively being punished by God: Plague, civil war, and now freak weather.

As Richard Wolff pointed out:

In summary: Texas reflects the end state of American capitalism, a neo feudal oligarchy where the rich profit off the needs of the masses.

This is why no-one is going to be held accountable, no-one will be executed as a lesson against corruption.

And the American people are sick of it, they will revolt sooner or later.
    Last edited by Exarch; February 27, 2021 at 11:32 PM.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

A large number of off topic posts about the USA economy and market regulations were deleted. Please stay on topic and if you want to discuss USA economy and/or regulations please make a different thread in the academy.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

I've been to a lot of places on this planet, but Texas takes preference over all of them.

Things are getting back to normal. Lots of people ended up with busted water pipes, especially the folks who had the "all electric" homes.

Indefinitely Banned

https://abcnews.go.com/US/fallout-te...ry?id=76200844

Americans are being forced to pay for the exorbitant power usage just to stay warm, this includes white, not just black americans.

This is how civil revolt begins, thanks to climate change.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post

Americans are being forced to pay for the exorbitant power usage just to stay warm, this includes white, not just black americans.

Could have read the contract and could have not voted republican for some 2 decades. Can't say I miss living in Houston. But there were some providers where you could opt for a locked rate for your power (if am recalling correctly I bought a two to three year contract and then another). At an upfront cost but trivial compared to once you considered the alternative as many Texans discover the fact that the market rate can be passed on directly to you.

You vote for and support unfettered free markets you get what you pay for - no long term planning. And of course sure power is cheap when things work out but well you get that bill when thinks go sideways. The Texans paying those bills got exactly what they asked for.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post

My electric bill was normal for this time of year and my gas bill was $72.00, which is only a few dollars higher than normal. The people with all electric homes are the people that got bit. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Could have read the contract and could have not voted republican for some 2 decades. Can't say I miss living in Houston. But there were some providers where you could opt for a locked rate for your power (if am recalling correctly I bought a two to three year contract and then another). At an upfront cost but trivial compared to once you considered the alternative as many Texans discover the fact that the market rate can be passed on directly to you.

You vote for and support unfettered free markets you get what you pay for - no long term planning. And of course sure power is cheap when things work out but well you get that bill when thinks go sideways. The Texans paying those bills got exactly what they asked for.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post

Blunt and honest. The defence of the US system does reside in voluntarism. While the electoral process is far from ideal people still get to make choices (Surprise! Trump!), albeiut skewed choices (No Bernie 4 U). Its good and bad but its true. We highlight the problems because we want it to be perfect, as some tax evaders once said, to form a more perfect union.

I think the energy pricing system is predatory but it included real choices. I hate that people died and this was a disaster, and people have a lot more on their plate. The system remains really robust, and the weak points can be restored.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234