Thread: Punic district vs native administration

Default Punic district vs native administration

I am playing a Qarthadast campaign for the first time, at year 207 BCE or so. I have conquered all of northwestern Africa, Messana, and just defeated the Areuakoi (the Lusitanians were defeated much earlier and were rather easy to defeat, while the Areuakoi were quite tough), and I just got the reform in which I can make cities either Punic districts or native administrations. However, it only appears to apply to cities I conquered fairly recently. The Iberian cities I conquered decades ago (that are by now rather Carthaginianized), they don't get these options. Is it supposed to be this way?

Apart from happiness bonus and trade penalty for native administrations, and vice versa for Punic districts, as well as the differences in troop selections available, does choosing either of these lead to different options further down the road?

When you play, what criteria do you use for picking either for your cities?

Default Re: Punic district vs native administration

You probably already have a government built in those cities, you will have to destroy it if you want to build either the native or punic administration.

There isn't much difference from the two types of government. I think the punic administration has more building options.

About the criteria, it's mostly on what happened historically but also on roleplay. For example, in Italy I build mostly native administration governments when I'm at war with Rome and Roma is the only Punic Administration I build there. Then with time, either if the cities revolt or I lose them for some reason, I will build a punic administration, it's the final stage of conquest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    You probably already have a government built in those cities, you will have to destroy it if you want to build either the native or punic administration.
    But I have a government building in all of those cities, even in those where I can build the district or administration. I build the supervised colony ASAP after conquest all the time.

There isn't much difference from the two types of government. I think the punic administration has more building options.
    Barcid Capital, only available, it seems, in the Iberian Qart Hadasht city, is then the most extensive type of government?

About the criteria, it's mostly on what happened historically but also on roleplay. For example, in Italy I build mostly native administration governments when I'm at war with Rome and Roma is the only Punic Administration I build there. Then with time, either if the cities revolt or I lose them for some reason, I will build a punic administration, it's the final stage of conquest for me.
    That makes a lot of sense. Historically, many Italic cities sided with the Carthaginians. It would make sense to give them autonomy as subservient allies, i.e native administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Calypze View Post
    Barcid Capital, only available, it seems, in the Iberian Qart Hadasht city, is then the most extensive type of government?
    Its indeed the best "Barcid" government outside the main (settlers colony/council) line, and only available in that city. Its basically the equivalent of a council adminsitration in tier but with a different approach, and much easier to get to (aside of the geographical restriction). So always build it there. Mind you that council adminsitration its only available in the 3 core provinces of Carthage too so they share the strict geographic factor.

Outside of those 2 your best goverments are the Allied Capital Polis (from the main council line) and the Punic Kleruchy from the Barcid line. Both Native Adminsitration and Punic District lead to the Kleuruchy so pick the one that you find more adequate at that stage.

About the availability, what you mention seems weird. Any level of settlers colony will block native administration, but you should still be able to get Punic Amdinistration. The Kleruchy actually requries some kind of colony (the basic trade outpost suffices) and 30% culture, so that levels does require some assimilation. Albeit notably less than the Allied capital Polis counterpart (Mediums settlers and 40% culture in that case).
    Last edited by Jervaj; February 15, 2021 at 09:21 AM.

We will either find a way, or make one.

If you want to upgrade to kleruchy DO NOT build native administration for whatever reason despite having all the requirement i cannot upgrade into kleruchy with native administration.

Also native administration is only useful as recruitment (which fail because kleruchy + punic and foriegn colony gives much more manpower) with very limited admin building i can't even build a dirt road with native administration!

Essentialy avoid native administration like a plague