Thread: Feeling 200 Years of Russian Aristocratic Pain in a Single Turn of MTW2

jsktrogdor's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Feeling 200 Years of Russian Aristocratic Pain in a Single Turn of MTW2

I've finally tried playing this game as Novgorod after 15 years of owning it and I've really been struck by the clever ways it to manages to mimic Russian history.

I've struggled to field armies that aren't mostly a rabble of serfs. Even huge forces get trounced by smaller more professional armies. I have fantastic feudal horsemen, but getting them out of their castles bankrupts me. I feel completely isolated from Europe, am plagued by fiercely independent backwoods rebels, and I keep getting drunk resulting in huge personal mistakes -- what I'm saying is that they've done a real great job designing this faction.

But the point really didn't hit home till I set my sights on the holy grail of Russian geopolitics... I wanted a warm water port.

Just one would do. It can't be that hard can it? Surely like five generations of Russian rulers just didn't want it enough. So I fought my way across little rebel kingdoms, scraped tooth and nail through Ukraine throwing hordes of my serf armies at the problem until finally I made it to Crimea. Caffa, it turned out, was the only port that was still diplomatically reasonable to conquer. But the Byzantines were closing in fast and they had a head start on me. So I traded away huge concessions to gain military access through the Byzantine Empire and literally raced their general to the Black Sea. I just managed to beat them there, to scare off the reinforcements, and bottled up the peninsula behind me till my own reinforcements got there to lock down our victory. Caffa was under siege, the troops I needed to take it were just behind me, the Kievan-Rus had been scared off.

I was one turn away from claiming that delicious, delicious gateway to the whole Mediterranean...

The Byzantines made Kievan-Rus a vassal. All of my sieges were automatically called off. Peace was declared on my behalf. I have to go to war with the entire god damn Cuman Khanate, a literal horde of professional soldiers, if I want to snatch up their single port.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Look at my poor general, the son of the king himself, just glaring at that Byzantine diplomat who just ended his siege. Look at him mad dogging that little Greek bastard.

I felt it. I think I got a tiny taste of the frustration that generations of Russian leaders must've felt. Franky? I don't blame Putin anymore. They deserve Crimea. Let them have it.
    Last edited by jsktrogdor; February 08, 2021 at 11:44 PM.

Default Re: Feeling 200 Years of Russian Aristocratic Pain in a Single Turn of MTW2

I am literally laughing out loud right now. Seriously, the frustration, the pain, it is of course unfortunate for you, but it is also just so hilarious. Sorry 'bout that bro

But you've done a really good job here making a one-post AAR. I actually think this is probably the best one-poster I've ever encountered. You've got your story bottled up so nicely, and it's funny, and you even manage to get some historical stuff in there (plus a jab at current geopolitics). So yeah, A+ on this man! The only other thing I can say is: Better luck next time!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

jsktrogdor's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Feeling 200 Years of Russian Aristocratic Pain in a Single Turn of MTW2

Thanks, it was a fun night honestly. It was crazy disappointing for about five minutes, then I just found myself laughing at how incredibly the AI had managed to bamboozle me. I've been playing this game for almost 20 years and I've never seen anything like it.

And it really was a moment of genuine empathy where I felt like I better understood that part of Russian history. "OOhhhhh yeah... that is​ super frustrating."

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

The Tsars appreciate this enormously. It is by far the smartest thing I've seen the AI do in any TW game, ever. Poor Captain Putimir, no Crimea for him. The Byzantines must be laughing like little children at how they played you. Med 2 truly is a game that still holds wonders even today.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

How frustrating, to lose your chance of a warm water port after doing everything you could to get there!

Campidoctor

This is one of the rare AAR's where you can feel the epic struggle and pain of the characters. I especially think about Captain Putimir. Stuck in far away lands, and in no proper position of power, he was unable to do anything. If only he would've been Czar. Then it would be guaranteed that Russia would have a warm water port by now.

All in all a funny read. +rep

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Why do you want a water port? In the Medieval 2 engine the overland trade is more profitable than the sea trade, despite the availability of special buildings like ports and wharf. The number of possible trade links with the other provinces combined with the trade bonuses from various buildings make that trade much more important, at the end. The worst provinces are islands, like Crete.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!