Thread: Imperial Roman Legions ?

Default Imperial Roman Legions ?

Firstly I love this damn mod, second only to Roma Surrectum II for RTW. The only thing I find an issue is that there are no imperial legions.

I understand the timeframe of the mod may not have been intended to cover this period, but I'm wondering if anything has changed since I last played EBII years ago.

Are there now imperial units ? Is there any way I can mod some in myself, or are there any other mods that have imperial roman units that I can copy in ?

Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for this mod, it's great !

Default Re: Imperial Roman Legions ?

Nope, there will never be any Principate-era units, unless someone makes them for themselves.

The only remaining Roman unit to make are the Praetorian Cohors.

I take it that making units requires a lot of know how and it's very time intensive ? I've never modded before

Do you know of any other mods that have Principate-era units that I could swap into EBII ?

And I don't mean to sound ungreateful, I appreciate all of your work, but is the fact that there won't be any Princiapte-era units because the timeline or scope of the mod was never intended to include them, or is it because it is very time intensive, or because there is not enough space on the unit roster ?

Thanks for the quick reply !

The type of units you are referring to doesn't appear during this mod time frame.

They're beyond the 14AD "end date" of the mod, and we don't have spare unit slots for yet another complete roster change for Rome alone.

In theory it would be possible to represent them as an armor change to an already existing unit, but it still would be a lot of work for something that appears so late.

Would its (late) appereance even be justified at all? The imperial era starts in the 27BC and I never heard of any meaningful military change/reform so early on in the imperial era aside of the final consolidation of the Marian system and the progressive adoption of the (un)famous Lorica Segmentata. So yeah, at best it would be an armor update.

Even then the that of this armor introduction in the roman army is a bit unclear but seems to be somewhere between 9 and 21 BC. Even if we took the earlier date it would be 20 turns worth of the game, and thats assuming there was widespread enough use to merit a unit portraying it.

We will either find a way, or make one.

Senator

(un)famous Lorica Segmentata. So yeah, at best it would be an armor update.
    That assumes that LS would be an upgrade in terms of defense which is really not the case since it covers less of the body than any decent mail shirt.

Are there now imperial units ?
    I think the difference in equipment is so minor that it really wouldn't make sense to add them as a new unit.
    Last edited by Sint; February 08, 2021 at 07:28 PM.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Nothing changes during the entire timeframe of the game, so they would be fantasy units. Might as well add Vikings. I suspect Romans already get the most (and most effective) equipment and recruitment updates of any faction. I can understand why this is a faq but it's a historical mod. Also if the Romans got an armor upgrade (^ agree, highly debatable whether it's an upgrade at all), you would have whiny players of other factions, me for instance, complaining that their faction had much more significant developments historically and they aren't represented.

Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    That assumes that LS would be an upgrade in terms of defense which is really not the case since it covers less of the body than any decent mail shirt.
    Well I said upgrade, because thats how you get new looks without needing a new unit. It would be very debatable if it was an upgrade indeed. In fact it was proven that while a good armour it was less effective against some weaponary.

As I said though, its really not merited. At least with the info I have.

We will either find a way, or make one.

Within the mod timeframe you'd only have Gallic helmets and Kalkyriese segmentatas appearing in the mix for the soldier models. For some of them. That's only a material for an armor upgrade mechanic.
    Last edited by Satapatiš; February 09, 2021 at 08:31 AM.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.