Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Warhammer III announced.

Default Re: Warhammer III announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Most of this is looking very nice. But I'm a bit concerned with the Ogres. Having them for all factions seems a bit weird, and I hope you can decide to attack them instead of recruit. Let's wait a bit to see if when going to their camp you have different options, hopefully faction based, with different possible results.
    So far fought Grimgor fielding 3 of Ogres in their army. Somehow I dont like them to be available for everyone too, and unsure how I want them to be implemented in future

Hmmm...I like how they were implemented. Gives a little more variety when going up against enemies. Now with the Cathay reveal, I think that they will be the first race that I'll play when Wh 3 comes out.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I really like Cathay from what I've seen. A well balanced race with enough fantasy, but not too much

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

I like how they use rocket guns instead of conventional bullets. I know there is a space marine meme waiting to be born there but I havent sleep well, so anyone is free to come up with it first.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

So that's why the 3K was shut down. Ancient China disappears from one side and appears on another

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Cathay looks absolutely amazing so far. Now all I really want to see is the map but I guess that's still a few months off.

Patrician Artifex

Yes, I'm also very curious about the map (game campaign), and VERY curious and kind of anxious about the combined games map.

Was talking about that on discord. I think they will do a nice map. However I fear the mortal empires map will suffer greatly, most likely they will try to squeeze the whole thing in the same size, reducing or eliminating provinces.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

They said they knew what we wanted and we shouldn't worry when asked about whether the parts of the map cut from ME would be added in again so I doubt they'll be doing all that much squeezing.

Well, guess there's a first for everything... but I hardly see them making a map Civilization scale wise. Almost the whole planet.

Patrician Artifex

We got Cathay roster reveal, and the new siege rework. Still anybbody here willing to dicuss that?

I think the siege rework migth be a step forwards. Its not what I would have done but again they are the multimillion business that loves cutting corners to save some dimes and Im just a regular me.

Would have loved for the defenses you build with this "supply" currency to be something prebattle only. But I guess is not unfeasible for desperate defenders to pile up rubbish to blockade a street on the heat of battle.

I still hoped for different battlemaps for sieges depending at least on the stance of the army. So say a gobling army in the underground stance siege a dwarf fortress you get one type of map, a subterranean one, but if you siege it with a regular surface army you get a mountain map with the classic fortress entrance like the custom maps mod.

Now, it's heartening to see them actually state they are making several little changes to a lot of small settlement maps so they are not repetitive.

On this regard I don't know why they have not implemented procedural map generation for cities. Each one get a seed and so they are all different without that much effort. I know is not that simple BUT when you consider the ammount of maps they could churn out and they actually need to do for each iteration of the game it coulda paid off quickly already.

Also I have a question about the technical requirements of the current game, are they still the same as with the base game? TotalWarhammer 3 will elevate them further?

Patrician Artifex

Let's analyze the actual info we have:

There is now a much, much wider selection of potential siege maps, each assigned to a settlement based on their default faction’s culture, themes, and preferences for combat
    This is good news. Siege are currently boring, because the maps are very similar. Question is how much is "much, much wider"?

Cathay and Dwarfs build highly defensive fortresses set into the sides of mountains, where their firepower can be exploited to its fullest. Meanwhile, Kislev has long withstood Chaos with tight streets and hardy men and women who will fight tooth and claw for every inch. Races like the Skaven and Greenskins have more ramshackle fortresses that are no less deadly, which themselves pale in comparison to the weirdness of the strongholds dedicated to each Chaos God on the outskirts of the Realm of Chaos.
    This also seems very nice. Current siege, even if the look of the walls and towers are different, are boring because save for a few exception like Wood Elves, they all play the same, with same tower /walls layout. Here it seems each race will have its own siege style. Combined with variations within each style is promising.

The upshot of all this is that each time you enter a siege, no matter which side you’re on, the combination of your army, the enemy, and the layout of the settlement is going to make it a unique experience across many hours of play. We’ve deliberately paced the layouts of different settlements to avoid repeats between adjacent regions, and even factions that share layouts have different dressings that can impact gameplay as well as looks. Fighting two identical siege battles back-to-back should be a thing of the past
    Emphasizes the points above. If they deliver what they are promising, siege would not be as repetitive as now, and so much more interesting IMO.

One significant area is height variation, with much larger differences between elevation levels throughout a map and it being far more common that before. There are also dockable terrain areas within settlements, depending on their layout, giving ranged units more use inside the walls. These advancements also allowed us to add bridges to maps, giving new ways to move around settlements and creating tactical possibilities we haven’t seen before
    This 3rd dimension seems also nice. More possibility for defender to place units. So more avenue of attacks that need to be defended, probably means more options for attackers as well. It means the possibility to try different tactics instead of always the same one.

It seems the maps are also bigger/ Not full 360° but at least possibility to attack from more direction, and so defend them. Some opened areas in cities could mean more use for cavalry to outflank and launch surprise attacks.

barricades and tower
    The idea that you can effect defenses during the battle, to fight in the streets with a mutli layer defense, and not only on the whole, gives interesting options. I think it would be a bit better if it was during prebattle, but during battle means you need to make decision about where to defend to keep supply points, or as an attacker where to attack to deny the supply points to the defender. So maybe it's better, play testing that will tell.
    At least it is not insta built like in survival battles, but it takes times to build. Hopefully the time/cost will be well balanced. If not, it's probably moddable. I'd rather have seen the building done by some units (many speciallized one like peasants / miners) rather than being auto built... But maybe it's done by the settlement dwellers who are not taking part in the battle, and are abtracted this way... We'll see how well it works.

Apparently CA also claims the AI has been significantly improved to handle all that. I'll give them the benefice of the doubt. If true, that alone would be a nice improvement.

Flyers and fast-moving units will now prioritise useful actions like preventing sallied-out cavalry from attacking ranged or siege units
    This part out sallying-out, and countering it, seems to mean that cavalry may also be more interesting

Minor settlements : The main difference is these are not walled, but otherwise use the same systems of a key building, districts, towers, and barricades
    So a new type of battles: not completly opened, but inside a settlement, and with barricades/tower to help. Sound interesting, I like settlements battle in Rome or Troy. I hope the AI is a bit smarter than in Troy though.

Unanswered question here: Does it mean it is no longer possible to build walls for minor settlement? Or that the settlement is defended via barricades only until a wall is built, and then we have regular siege?

There are however few points which are not clearly explained in the blog:
    - Did they change something about garrison?
    - Is it still not possible to place artillery, weapon teams, or monsters on wall?
    - What monster can damage walls, and how efficiently?
    - Did they change something with ladders?

Ladders should be destroyable by the defender if the attacker leaves them alone. Kind of like how towers work, with a influence area.

Talking about towers, I always hated the way they work, they should be garrisonable structures, maybe with some friendly AI small sized troops squads manning them and the attacker clearing them out of said troops to diasable them. And in the unlikely case the attacker wants to use them then he has to use some of its troops to garrison them a la siege equipment.

But coming back to to earth, if army stances can impact on the kind of siege battle map you get then it would scratch some of the biggest issues I have with the game (besides lack of naval battles, unmounting units and logistics/supply lines).
    Last edited by Lord Baal; October 13, 2021 at 10:58 AM.

I am not going lie I am a bit skeptical towards the siege reveal. New maps is always good but we have seen towers and barricades already in Rome II and Attila and they are not earth shattering upgrades in my opinion. But only time will tell. Also found the ladder using pink horrors kind of hilarious, maybe they should just climb the walls without the ladders?

Was thinking in the shower the other day, why not make the cities constructed house areas passable to the defender as "forest". This would enable the defender to maneuver much more easily than the attacker and arrange nice ambushes and benefit a better movement in the city?

I have checked the new roster that much since I don't want to spoil it for myself too much but I think it is quite interesting and decent although I think the human forms of the dragon lords are kinda too 3K lord like along side with their names, I think I would have preferred them to be all time dragons

Patrician Artifex

Nurgle has a really interesting and original building mechanism.
    His campaign mechanism with plagues is also thematic, but I'm not sure how annoying it maybe for players when used against them.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I agree, if each race has its own siege style, that would be a big improvement, along with sallying out by an AI defender's cavalry and flying units. I like Dumanthis's idea of making buildings passable to the defender, allowing for city ambushes.

Yes, a plague mechanic could be annoying - as I see it, this depends (at least partly) on whether other factions have ways to counter it.

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqnN3Nry2xw&t=386s

Enter the World of Total War Warhammer 3 – All Playable Faction Trailers

Last edited by cenkiss; December 13, 2021 at 04:00 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Big news yesterday with content creators releasing live stream and videos, from the actual game. They already have a pre release build and can really play it from their own computer. With NDA and a tight schedule, so they couldn't show everything, but a lot of important stuffs.

- The 9th LL is a customizable Deamon Prince, leading the Daemon of Chaos faction. He can get favour from different Gods (including undivided), and it unlocks units, and BODY PARTS. Which you can change in game, as equipment pieces. And you see the result immediately in 3D, and can change him when you want, with tails, horns, wings.... Each one giving different bonuses.

- Multiplayers: 8 players CAMPAIGN, with SIMULTANEOUS turns.

- Hero and LL management screen updated, more informative and easier to navigate
    - It is possible to sell extra equipments, or merge them. Take 2 green swords you don't need, it transforms into a random blue item.

- The plot has been revealed.
    - You can go to the chaos realms via some "rifts", and have some battle or actions to do there before you can access the domination battle.

- Heroes and Lords can now reach level 50.

- Diplomacy rework:
    -- QoL option like "quick deal", "auto match" for proposal,
    -- new alliance system giving more coordination with allies (see where their armies are going, ask them to protect your cities, exchange armies). All that requires a new "allegiance" currency, which you can gain by accepting missions from your allies
    -- outpost mechanism : you can create a building in your ally capital, and it allows recruiting their own units. Play as Vampire Counts, ally with Vampire Coast, and recruit artillery!
    -- you can ask a trespasser to leave your territory, if they refuse you can attack without "trust" penalties, even if you have a non agression pact
    -- region trading

- Reinforcement now appears with a delay. You can select where they will appear on the map, but moving them away from the default spot increases the delay. Ligthning strike reworked with 3 levels, the first two ones increase the delay of reinforcement instead of completly removing it (this still happens at level 3).
    - Ambush battle: you now have an escape area where you can try to go and save your army.

- Settlement and siege:
    -- You get attrition from the first turn. But the defender can get more supply to build tower or barricade
    -- Many different maps, including for older races, with different approach (Norsca settlement are relatively open, Cathay are more organized with less entry points).

And lot of other stuffs...

But I wonder if there is still anyone interested here to discuss this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast