Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Warhammer III announced.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Warhammer III announced.

It is likely that this area is a placeholder, maybe not revealed at all at release, but if they make cross game DLC with LL for game 1/2 race, they need to put them somewhere. And add regions in this area. The good news is even if we don't have full new races there, it becomes open ground for modders.
    The list of regions is in the game table. I don't think CA would take time to make it all and scrap it later. It's however likely to be adjusted a bit. So I guestimate it to be may 90% accurate.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I'm really enjoying Warhammer III so far, playing as Kislev. Even though it's described as a faction for starting players, Kislev's starting position still offers a challenge, with enemies both east and west of your capital.

There are some useful quality of life improvements compared to the previous game. It's helpful to be able to see the full roster when selecting a faction. I like the ability to tell whether a diplomatic offer is close to being accepted (rather than repeatedly offering increasing amounts of money for a trade agreement and getting nowhere).

There’s more quality of life on the battlefield too. When one of your units isn’t moving or in combat, a line of ‘Zzzz’ appear on the unit card, so you can see instantly which units need new orders. Kislev's unit cards are done well – I can see at a glance which unit is which and they're nicely done images of the soldiers.

There's a small quality of life downgrade, at least for me, for screenshots. In Warhammer II, FRAPS works, so screenshots are easy to create and to find afterwards. In Warhammer III, FRAPS doesn't work. Taking screenshots with F12 works fine, but finding the pictures afterwards is a bit fiddly - especially if I want to edit them.

To find and edit screenshots taken with F12, I need to open Steam, select View (from the tabs at the top) > Screenshots > Show on Disk, then cut and paste the picture files somewhere else (because when I open Paint.net, I can't see the obscure sub-folder where the pictures are stored after pressing F12, even with 'see hidden folders' enabled). It works, but it feels like the long way round. Am I missing something - is there a better way to take and edit screenshots with the new game?
    Last edited by Alwyn; February 20, 2022 at 06:29 AM.

RafSwi7's Avatar Content Staff
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Nice map, Steph! CA has stated that the region list is obsolete, but I imagine the final version will be similar to that design with some minor tweaks. As for Ind and Khuresh, CA also confirmed that there are now plans for them and that they are extremely unlikely to be added to the game. In my opinion, they will probably serve as a ''dumping ground'' for the remaining legendary lords. Similarly to Mortal Empires, CA will probably try to evenly distribute them across the map, so locating some of them in the south-eastern corner seems ideal for balancing purposes.
    Yes, we had the same thing with WH2. Mortal Empires combined map ended up being very similar to the one from the first leak.

So, most likely combined map for the WH3 will also be similar to the one from files.
    Last edited by RafSwi7; February 21, 2022 at 12:46 AM.

Patrician Artifex

A small review after trying the Kislev campaign. Not finished yet. I actually tried 2, and second one is easy/easy, I need some time to get used to the new mechanism.

QoL are nice, including diplomacy rework. Being able to coordinate with your allies, build outpost, make deal more efficiently, or taking ally missions is a nice touche. I also like the region trading. I'm currently using it to "save" the Northern Dwarves, or my Empire allies, capturing the settlements they lose against Norsca or demon, and trading the region back to my allies for money.

I also like that you get get rid of low quality items, or get rid of extra numerous ancilliaries.

Battles are nice, the maps are much better, cities are beautiful. The buildable equipments probably not some tweaking, they are not working a bit strangely now (like towers are may be too punishing).
    AI is OK, it can do some errors, but it's still sufficient, at least for me since I don't pretend to be a really good player.

I think the main difference is the scale and scope. As Kislev, in my second campaign, I can't really expand. I can afford 3 armies, one strong with Katarina, and two average with other. I manage to get the 3 main cities, and two oblasts. 3 armies are sufficient to protect the motherland, and Katarina can now beat larger armies, or venture into the Realm of Chaos. I didn't go there often, so I cannot speak much about it, only that the AI is going there first, and I think it will be a challenge to win the race.

In my first campaign (normla/normal), I ended with a confederation with Kostaltyn, and this was bad... 8 armies suddenly, supply lines penatly... I went bankrupt.

I think Kislev territory probably allows to fund 4-5 armies max. You need them: protect your borders against Norsca, Chaos, Greenskins... And when rifts open, if you don't want a lot of corruption, you should close them quickly, especially since after a while it spawn agents and armies. This can be done with agent and cash, or with armies. And you need to send your big army fast into the realm of chaos to win the race.

This means that you are kind of force into a defensive gameplay : secure the motherland, and then protect it, and try to defeat the narrative campaign. I suppose if you win the race, get the 4 souls and beat the narrative, then you can continue and try to expand, but I think it would be quite hard as Kislev to really expand beyond your border.

So if you want to paint the map your colour, as you could relatively easily do with Vortex or ME, I think it is more difficult. Which is IMO not necessarily a bad thing : protecting the Motherland and skirmishing at the border is kind of fitting.

So a couple campaigns in, and it's a pretty interesting experience.

Played Cathay because of course for me . Campaign pacing is very different from past games. Since the narrative victory will happen vastly before you can get domination victory, the game rewards turtling and using allies to hold down a modest empire while building up a scary army to go fight in the realms. Thankfully, Cathay is great at this and the new diplomacy features make this a lot easier. Once you clean up the interior of rebels, skaven, and orcs, it's pretty easy to get on good terms with the AI Cathay factions. The danger is if they drag you into wars with the Ogres. Fighting over the mountains is a huge mistake because they have poor buildings and most non-Ogre factions will spend more money on them than they'll get out, especially when the rifts appear. The best option is to let the AI Cathayans take huge losses and confederate them when they're weak, then ally Greasus to recruit allied ogres and keep the passes clear of chaos.

The faction mechanics are pretty engaging. They definitely help keep the campaign engaging when you're not expanding. The caravan system is really fun, especially since they have their own progression. It's another reason to ally the Ogres. The event armies that spawn are manageable, but actual campaign armies are terrifying unless you have a really veteran caravan with lots of good units and a strong caravan leader. It'll make you a ton of money and some good items if you make it to the end. Harmony is actually not bad. It gives a bit of a reason to plan out your empire and take different lord choices. It's pretty easy to convert settlements.

The disappointing thing is the tech tree. The flavor text is great and really gives a 'There is no war in Ba Sing Se' propaganda vibe as they try to spin forced labor camps into something harmonious (yay topical satire). However, the actual bonuses are bad. +5% of things that don't do anything meaningful, like peasant upkeep and some things that are completely useless, like leadership for sentinels (which are unbreakable) and income from ports (which you don't have, despite there being a settlement called 'Hanyu Port'). The skill trees are not quite as bad, but still rather bland compared to the Warhammer 2 skill trees.

Battles are pretty good, and keeping harmony is actually pretty rewarding (except for cav), but there's clearly a lot of lingering technical issues that are holding it back. Mass is acting strange. Impact damage is terrible (making shock cav even worse), but units can pull through almost anything. Even small units like warhounds can pull through my infantry blocks and into my backline, while large units just waltz through and can't be stopped. This is particularly miserable when fighting Tzeentch, since his shields mean he'll take minimal losses while swan diving your artillery. That the AI is actually decently good at exploiting this just makes it more frustrating.

Guard mode is enabled by default (this can be changed in settings), but it will sometimes reenable itself even after you've turned it off. Even without this, the old 'units forgetting orders' bug is back with a vengeance. I've already lost multiplayer matches to this. It particularly hurts big units whose animations might take them away from their target. There's also some LOS problems that makes gunpowder units perform poorly. Crane gunners in particular were having a really hard time shooting. Pathfinding in sieges can be a trip when your unit suddenly reroutes itself on a longer detour.

Speaking of sieges, the new maps are quite something. Whether the AI can handle them is entirely inconsistent. On the offense, they're almost cripplingly focused on point capture, which is made worse by the mass problems, but they are capable of breaking up their forces to go different routes, and things tend to blob up a lot less. I've lost by being back capped by them a couple times, which took me by surprise. On defense, they're alright, but what's really annoying is the constant tower building. I get that we're supposed to take points to shut towers off permanently, but when a point is being particularly hard fought over, it'd be nice if a destroyed tower would stay down and not get rebuilt in less than a minute. I've had some good fights, but also some annoying ones.

The survival battles are good once for the experience, but fighting monogod armies on these long maps gets really boring after a while, and usually clock in between 30-60 minutes. Only the last one is a real challenge. Fortunately, you can autoresolve them.

Only one crash so far, which is good. Not sure what caused it, but its not repeated itself. I have had a few times where the game froze for a while (like 10-20 seconds) before waking up. Performance wise, the game is a lot more consistent on my rig at 1080p than WH2 was. Pretty much 60 frames per second constantly with only a couple areas of slowdown. From what I understand though, things get significantly less so at higher pixel counts. Turn times are pretty good and load times on my SSD have also not been a problem. The game looks and sounds wonderful with only a couple graphical glitches that I noticed.

I do however find it less replayable than Warhammer 2. The narrative campaign always goes basically the same way after the early game, with minor variations in what enemies are making a nuisance of themselves in the main map. You'll end up fighting the same armies in the realms, and since the game discourages big expansion due to the rifts, things get static after a while. There's no good rewards for winning, so continuing onto domination after the narrative is done isn't as fun.

Overall, it's a pretty good game with a lot of great ideas, but right now I can only really play a couple campaigns worth before I want to go back to Mortal Empires. There's a lot of bugs and balancing issues that need polishing, though this is a better launch than the previous two games, just not as smooth as 3K or Troy. It'll probably be phenomenal once the combined map is out.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

Patrician Artifex

A bit more from my second kislev campaign (easy/easy).

I was more cautious, tried to help my allies more, and give them back region to help them survives and expand.

I now control Kislev (the oblast + 3 main cities). I help Kraka Drak protect and unify their provinces, and gave them the Goromady. I have one army securing the northern pass to the east, helping Karak Kadrin.

The Tzarina lead an expedition to capture Drakenhof, end the vampire count threat, and then I sold Drakenhof to Stirland. I'm considering moving South West to help the Empire against the Ogres.

Boris has been saved, and is protecting Kislev, closing rift, attacking armies comignt to close.

Kostaltyn and another army are fighing in Norsca, I plan to capture it all.

I have 4 armies, and couldn't afford another I think.

The game is a bit harder to start with, as ou can't play exactly as before, but I think it is a good change : you play more on your core territory, securing and protecting it, with some occasional expeditions or expansion, but I find it easier to capture regions, sell them to ally, so I don't have to waste money developping and protecting it.

Patrician Artifex

We've got a working RPFM for most tables.

Two very bad news
    - resource requirement is gone. Meaning that a regional recruitement such as SWORD is no longer possible, or at least that it needs a very different approach
    - officers have been removed. So no officer, no standard bearer... There seems to be workaround, but with limited possibilities
    Last edited by Steph; February 28, 2022 at 02:10 AM.

Anyone found a way to text chat to other players in multiplayer lobby and in game multiplayer battles? I can't seem to find it

Steph, I'm sorry to hear the very bad news - I hope they'll reintroduce the possibility of resource requirements and officers in future patches (if that's possible).

Dumanthis, I only play single-player so I don't know the answer unfortunately - did you find a solution (if you did, maybe you could post it, in case it helps others)?

I'm happy that FRAPS now works (unless it always did and I misunderstood, which is possible).

Meanwhile, I saw a report on Rock Paper Shotgun about the upcoming patch 1.1; this is expected to be added in April and it aims to make the race for Souls more manageable:
    Quote Originally Posted by from Rock Paper Shotgun

• The strength of the negative Realm traits has been reduced by roughly ~50%.
    • Daemon Legendary Lords will no longer be burdened by the negative traits of their respective patron god.
    • Traits gained in the Realm of Chaos will now be removed when a Legendary Lord completes the survival battle within that realm.
    • When a player intercepts an AI Lord at the Forge of Souls, their souls will now be lost—forcing them to restart their collection. This should make it easier to disrupt the Souls race.
    • The "Protection" building chain can now be used to prevent rifts from spawning in the province in which they're built.
    • The rewards for gaining Souls have been improved by providing additional bonuses for a limited period of time.
    I wonder what people think of the Rift and Realm of Chaos mechnics so far, and of these changes. For me, these changes sound like steps in the right direction - the Realm of Chaos will still matter but it will feel more viable to focus on the campaign map if you prefer to do that.

Taking your lords and heroes to have adventures in the Realm of Chaos seems like a logical step, as Total War Warhammer games increasingly add role-playing elements. The opportunity get a powerful but cursed magic weapon is a cool feature.

I'm enjoying encountering different kinds of armies in a Realm of Chaos. On the Warhammer II map, while I enjoy visiting the sites of wrecks, I think it's a shame that we always encounter a vampire pirate army - if the opponents were occasionally rogue armies instead, that would provide some nice variety.

[Edit to add] Is anyone else noticing increased aggression by the AI after patch 1.02? In a new campaign as Kislev, a 20-unit Norscan army attacked my capital within the first few turns (Tzarina Katarin had just reached the second minor settlement east of Kislev). I imagine this could have happened with previous versions of the game and I was happy to see the AI being aggressive on the campaign map. I was simply surprised to see my capital attacked so early.
    Last edited by Alwyn; March 20, 2022 at 12:47 PM.

Patrician Artifex

The biggest change for 1.1, IMO, will be official mod supports.

For resource it is very unlikely change put them back. For officers, CA changed how they work. They remove the musician slots, but added one slot for officers and standard bearers. So in theory 4 are possible, same as before.
    Except the musician slots did work, while the standard bearers slot were buggy, and they still are. When you have a bearer in one army, it works, but if both armies have one unit with one bearer, the game crashes... CA is aware of that, let's see if they can fix it.
    Also, the officers for infantry are in the front, while for cavalry they are in the back...

I'm slowly porting mods, this time as independant optional modules. I will release them as soon as the workshop is available.

- Speed of flyer units +50%, and jump attack less frequent
    - More wounds levels for SEM and lords at 75, 50 and 25 HP
    - Resized lords/heros and LOD removal.
    - Unit category icons reworks
    - Visibility overhaul.

- Campaign movement :
    -- bonus based on settlement development,
    -- move penalty for ennemy with HE gates, empire fort, and great bastion gates.
    -- Going from land to sea (and opposite takes) less AP

- Rank, experience, skills
    -- Agents have 2 skill points per rank (up to 10 for lord, 5 for heroes).
    -- Ranks required for immortality is 25,
    -- most powerful mounts are available at a higher ranks.
    -- Effect of unit experience slighlty boosted
    -- Lightning strike increase the time effect, but level 3 is and even longer time, it doesn't completly remove the reinforcement.

- Fatigue has more effects (reduce accuracy for exemple)
    - Realms : time between two rifts waves increased, strength needed for AI to win a survival battle increased

- Siege rework :
    -- 2 turns grace period for attrition
    -- Climbing ladders is twice slower and generate twice the fatigue.
    -- Towers have projectile with range/damage closer to range units (bow, crossbow, etc). Walls/Towers have more HP. 180° firing arc for towers
    -- Towers, walls, battering rams, siege towers, have race specific stats variation.
    -- Reduced weapon damages to building for spears, swords... Axes and hammers are the proper weapon to destroy building.
    -- Deployable costs less, so you can have more at start. But the supply gain is batle is smaller, and building a tower mid battle is much longer.
    -- More effects for tower, traps, etc.

I like your ideas, particularly the 2-turn grace period for attrition, the increased fatigue from climbing ladders (I tend to prefer defending unwalled cities, with choke points, rather than walls which the enemy can simply climb) and reduced weapon damage to buildings for spears and swords.

I also like your idea that building a tower mid battle takes longer. It seems strange to me that the defender can build anything during a battle (except maybe a very simple barrier) - I'm tempted to suggest that deployable defences should have to be built at the start of the battle.

Patrician Artifex

This would make sense IMO (at least for towers, barricade could be set up mid battle). But I haven't found yet how to make it work.
    There is also an issue: you can change the building time, for a NEW tower. But the upgrade is always 30s. So you could have for example the base towers requires 90s, the cannon tower requires 600s, but if you create the base tower before the battle start, and then upgrade it to a cannon tower, it will take 30s only, not 600. And if you create a base tower during battle, and then upgrade to cannon it will take 90+30, not 90+600....

Yes, it would be better if barricades, but not towers, could be set up during a battle. It sounds like it would take action from the developers to achieve this, because of the upgrading issue that you found. I'll be interested to see what the developers do with the siege mechanics.

I've seen some players criticising sieges with the new minor settlements, but I enjoy them. I like the variety of battles - walled and unwalled settlements, standard field battles, ambushes and Realm of Chaos battles all work in different ways.

When the Immortal Empires campaign is released, I wonder what the end-game threat will be. Will Warriors of Chaos still spawn to attach the Old World when we have Khorne, Slaanesh, Nurgle and Tzeentch on the map, or will the AI Chaos factions in the east consolidate after a certain period and invade the Old World themselves, or will rifts open across the world (like in the Warhammer III campaign), or something else? I wonder what will happen to the Warriors of Chaos factions in the Immortal Empires campaign - will they remain as they are, or will there be a mechanic where they act as mercenaries or client states of Warhammer III's Choas factions?
    Last edited by Alwyn; April 02, 2022 at 12:34 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Edited image for the combined map, creating by combining different images available in game3 files.

I have added a red line showing roughly the area currently available in Mortal Empire

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Ahhh finally, now, that's a proper map, and all Total War games should point to the same. Yes, even a Rome 3 should also include the Americas...
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Thanks, Steph, this looks like a really good map and I'm looking forward to seeing the combined campaign. Like Lord Baal, I hope that other Total War games will use a similar approach.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567