Thread: Peaky Blinders

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Peaky Blinders

This appeared in my netflix suggestions the other day and it's really quite good.

The show is based just after WW1 with a returning soldier named Thomas and his brothers. They have a gang and run a neighborhood. The filming is done very well with tons of extras which really let you experience the "feeling" of the time period. It's got a pretty fast paced plot, each episode is about 50 minutes each.

Characters are suitable and the research is quite good, for instance they mention rounding up men over 5ft. Not 6ft, 5ft. Which is accurate considering the time period. So you can learn a bit, even from the props they use like the cars. Historical accuracy to some extent which is pretty nice.

Description:
    In the aftermath of the Great War, returning soldiers, newly minted revolutions and criminal gangs are fighting for survival in a nation rocked by economic upheaval. One of the most powerful gangs of the time is the Peaky Blinders, run by returning war hero Thomas Shelby and his family. But Thomas has bigger ambitions than just running the streets. When a crate of guns goes missing, he recognizes an opportunity to advance in the world because crime may pay but legitimate business pays better. Trying to rid Britain of its crime is Inspector Chester Campbell, who arrives from Belfast to try to achieve that goal.

The trailer doesn't really do it justice in my opinion, if you want to see what it's like you really need to watch an episode from it first.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Peaky Blinders

Aye, it's a solid show loosely based on real life events/people. Great acting and a fantastic cast. In later seasons Tom Hardy (Alfie Solomon) steals every scene he's in, no mean feat when he's acting opposite Murphy.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Great acting and a fantastic cast.
    So damn true, great show.. and yes Tom Hardy's Alfie is definitely one of the best and most realistic character I ever saw, if I ever saw one actually
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

My coursemates were quite astonished by this show. Never seen it myself, though.

It's an amazing show. Have to catch on though, I think I forgot about this after 2 seasons...

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Welcome to the forums! The rules are the terms of service: https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?...rms_of_Service

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

By orda of the Peeky Bloindahs!
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Indefinitely Banned

Pretty sure 6 is the last season and always was supposed to be. A perfect show the first 3 seasons. Tom Hardy’s best role. Maybe Taboo season 2 will happen someday.

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    Maybe Taboo season 2 will happen someday.
    Yeah Taboo was amazing. There must be season 2 for it.

Miles

First episode reminded me a lot of Channel 7's Wild Boys in a bad way. We're introduced to a new trap who's moved in from the capital and announces that "Things are going to be changing around these parts, now that thar be a new Sheriff in town", after the previous local bunch of traps proved themselves incompetent at capturing our heroic band of crooks.

Can't I just have one show about bad dudes that do bad things (without adding so much drama to it)? We're one episode in and the show's already jumping the shark!