Thread: What happens if you conquer Jerusalem?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Icon5 What happens if you conquer Jerusalem?

Guys,
    Taking Jerusalem (or was it only after a successful crusade) provides a faction-wise happiness bonus for all your settlements, iirc.
    Have you experienced it in your campaings? Could you post screenshots, if yes.
    cheers
    JoC

The answer:
    - holding Jerusalem gives +15% public order in every settlement of the faction from "Glory" and it does not go away;
    - when a Crusading/Jihading army takes the Crusade target, all settlements also gets a +30% public order bonus from "Triumph" but this goes down by 5% every turn until it is gone
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; May 09, 2023 at 04:18 AM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: What happens if you conquer Jerusalem?

Yes , it offers you ,,Glory'' bonus for all your settlements , i think its a Kingdoms thing from Vanilla.

I don't have a screenshot but that is what I remember. The vanilla grand campaign has this feature. +15% public order in every settlement from "Glory" and it does not go away.

When a Crusading army takes the Crusade target, the settlement also gets a +30% public order bonus from "Triumph". This goes down by 5% every turn until it is gone. This is also a vanilla feature.

AntonisTheGreek's Avatar Senator

Does anyone know if conquering a jihad target provides factionwide public order bonuses too?

Crusades and Jihads do not provide a nationwide public bonus. The "Triumph" bonus is only in the city conquered by the Crusade (and maybe the capitol, I'm not quite sure.) I would assume Jihads get the same bonus but I can't 100% confirm.

The nationwide bonus you mentioned is for holding Jerusalem.

Nope, I was wrong! The Triumph bonus is Nationwide!

When you succeed in a Holy War, all settlements get +30% bonus to public order, losing 5% per turn, until the bonus goes away. I also tested it with Muslims and as expected it works with them too.

There is a bug where if you call a Crusade/Jihad and complete it on the same turn, you can call another one. It does not always seem to work, however. If you use this bug and complete 2 Jihads on the same turn, you do not get +60% public order from 2 Triumph bonuses.

I will upload a screenshot soon.
    Last edited by Steward Denethor II; February 05, 2021 at 12:50 PM.

I confirm its 15% nationwide, I am not sure though how long it lasts. Here is the screenshot from my previous campaign.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jerusalem-glory.jpg  
    Last edited by Macaras; February 05, 2021 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    I don't have a screenshot but that is what I remember. The vanilla grand campaign has this feature. +15% public order in every settlement from "Glory" and it does not go away.
    When a Crusading army takes the Crusade target, the settlement also gets a +30% public order bonus from "Triumph". This goes down by 5% every turn until it is gone. This is also a vanilla feature.
    Thanks, Guys, for this information! Especially for you, @Denethor!

Quote Originally Posted by Macaras View Post
    I confirm its 15% nationwide, I am not sure though how long it lasts. Here is the screenshot from my previous campaign.
    @Macaras, why not to make a short report on those 300 turns in the AAR section? (a hint: use imgur.com for uploading pics, then "get Share Code -> BBCode" to get a link, and then hide those pics in spoilers [spoiler] here.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

----------------------
    I would like to draft an information pop-out (in-game) window:

Why to go on a Crusade or Jihad?
    Cons:
    - it may be very expensive:
    -- you have to spend money on religious mercenaries that will be disbanded after the crusade.
    -- you have to make a 3000 florin donation to general(s) leading the armies.
    - your generals may be more valuable doing their business at home (eg. they have essential traits to make a crucial city upgraded).
    - you simply do not have enough troops to care for all: internal order, defending your lands, and participating in a crusade.
    - you're distracted from your business at home (you may be just about conquering another settlement?).
    - it my turn the good fortunes of the kingdom (eg if the kings dies on that crusade, there may always a civil war erupt).
    - you may worsen relations with the factions owning the lands your armies travel across (on the way forth but also on the way back).

Pros:
    - if you don't, the pope will lose opinion on you and you're likely.
    - if you don't, your own aristocrats will lower their loyalty.
    - you don't pay for a crusading army (what, at times, may ease your budgetary woes).
    - your Faction Leader will get a boost for his Authority if you get to the target province.
    - the trait could enable getting a Crown for you leader.
    - all generals taking part will get good traits for participation.
    - if you reach the province and, especially, if you take the Holy War target, the benefits will multiply.
    - after a crusade some of your units will get additional experience (without taking casualties!).
    - you will get a negligible amount of money afterwards.
    - if your Crusading army takes the Crusade target, all settlements in your realm will get a +15% public order bonus from "Triumph". It will go down by 5% every turn until it is gone.
    - the very ownership of Jerusalem (that is a frequent target in the Crusades) provide a constant +15% public order bonus from "Glory".

----------------
    Any more hints I should include?
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; February 06, 2021 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaras View Post
    Same here, and also got it for the ERE so it doesn't just apply to a crusade / Jihad. Don't have a screenshot to hand, but definitely got the +15% bonus from conquering Jerusalem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Thanks, Guys, for this information! Especially for you, @Denethor!

@Macaras, why not to make a short report on those 300 turns in the AAR section? (a hint: use imgur.com for uploading pics, then "get Share Code -> BBCode" to get a link, and then hide those pics in spoilers [spoiler] here.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

----------------------

Cons:
    - it may be very expensive:
    -- you have to spend money on religious mercenaries that will be disbanded after the crusade.
    -- you have to make a 3000 florin donation to general(s) leading the armies.
    - your generals may be more valuable doing their business at home (eg. they have essential traits to make a crucial city upgraded).
    - you simply do not have enough troops to care for all: internal order, defending your lands, and participating in a crusade.
    - you're distracted from your business at home (you may be just about conquering another settlement?).
    - it my turn the good fortunes of the kingdom (eg if the kings dies on that crusade, there may always a civil war erupt).
    - you may worsen relations with the factions owning the lands your armies travel across (on the way forth but also on the way back).

Pros:
    - if you don't, the pope will lose opinion on you and you're likely.
    - if you don't, your own aristocrats will lower their loyalty.
    - you don't pay for a crusading army (what, at times, may ease your budgetary woes).
    - your Faction Leader will get a boost for his Authority if you get to the target province.
    - the trait could enable getting a Crown for you leader.
    - all generals taking part will get good traits for participation.
    - if you reach the province and, especially, if you take the Holy War target, the benefits will multiply.
    - after a crusade some of your units will get additional experience (without taking casualties!).
    - you will get a negligible amount of money afterwards.
    - if your Crusading army takes the Crusade target, all settlements in your realm will get a +15% public order bonus from "Triumph". It will go down by 5% every turn until it is gone.
    - the very ownership of Jerusalem (that is a frequent target in the Crusades) provide a constant +15% public order bonus from "Glory".

----------------
    Any more hints I should include?
    You can add that : - Once a crusading army starts ,all units cannot be taken off-crusade and will desert if you dont advance to your crusade during every turn.
    - Each unit added to the CRUSADING army will recieve the crusader tag and wont be able to be removed until the crusade is over. Any unit with the crusade tag removed will automatically desert next turn.
    - A crusading army requires a CHARACTER (Genreral or Family Member) , if a general is killed , the army will GUARANTEED DESERT the next turn unless another CHARACTER is sent to lead the army.

Quote Originally Posted by Swarbs View Post
    Same here, and also got it for the ERE so it doesn't just apply to a crusade / Jihad. Don't have a screenshot to hand, but definitely got the +15% bonus from conquering Jerusalem.
    It would possible apply this glory bonus in other important settlements? Not only Jerusalem.
    For example if you conquest Mecca being Christian or pagan, if you conquest Constantinople or Rome and you are muslim or pagan.
    For orthodox ,Jerusalem and also retake Rome and Constantinople.
    I say pretty religious/famous settlements in the medieval age, or at least if not is possible glory bonus, the triumph bonus for this settlements.
    Of course it would without Crusade/Jihad mechanism, a normal conquest.
    I think that it would add a lot of more flavour at gameplay.
    Last edited by j.a.luna; February 06, 2021 at 05:21 AM.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    It would possible apply this glory bonus in other important settlements? Not only Jerusalem.
    Hardcoded. Of course, you may script it, but then there're many other mechanisms already in play.

It would be also nice and historically accurate to have the option to hand a settlement conquared as a result of a crusade to the Crusader States instead of keeping it (resurrecting thus the Crusader States if they are destroyed). And this should result to extreme Papal favor. But I guess this cannot be done easily in terms of coding...
    In general I hardly see any benefit from keeping a settlement so far from home.

Foederatus

How about a trigger to gift the city to the Crusaders on successful crusade and AI Catholic faction has no other cities with in a certain distance, and the city is in the crusaders core region? An offer to turn over the city for the human player would also be good although I'm sure it wouldn't always be taken up. I've seen many cases where a Catholic faction gets a city in the middle east and then stagnates due to upkeep, corruption and having so many units tied up, FL or FH in particular, such a long way from home. To me this would also be more fitting of reality where they held and lost land only for another crusade to win it back for a time. Such a trigger could be switched off by mid to late game when its time for them to move on permanently. Some consideration consideration also be given to teleporting AI generals back to their home provinces after a few turns if they get stuck in the region, I'd also disband all but a handful of units if the crusading army is large so as not to give them an unfair advantage. To my knowledge few if any ex-crusading armies made it home intact as a fighting force. Most arrived home as unpaid travelers or mercenaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post

Cons:
    I was under the impression that crusading armies (armies on a crusade, not regular armies returning home from one) didn't incur any penalties for trespassing on foreign lands. Is this not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Ensyvtre View Post
    I was under the impression that crusading armies (armies on a crusade, not regular armies returning home from one) didn't incur any penalties for trespassing on foreign lands. Is this not the case?
    Yeah, i think only fellow Catholics don't inquire penalties for tresspassing . Other factions might get upsed and the crusaded faction will get mad if u close the distance between urself and the crusade target.
    Turning back tho , yeah , obviously , unless you are using ships to travel by sea, you will upsed everyone a bit , including your fellow chiristians.

Quote Originally Posted by Ensyvtre View Post
    I've got no idea. But this is interesting: even if it's true, is it hardcoded or it depends on the coding of diplomacy? (@Belo, @JLMP?)