Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Astronomy Thread

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: The Astronomy Thread

Enjoyable news and who says scientists and engineers can't be a perhaps a little superstitious - they attached a little bit of fabric from the Wright brother's plane to it.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I don't think it's about superstition at all, Conon, I think it's about being aware that we are all standing on the shoulders of those who came before us. If not for the accomplishments of the Wright Brothers we might not have been able to accomplish what we are today. Paying homage to our predecessors isn't superstition imo.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I don't think it's about superstition at all, Conon, I think it's about being aware that we are all standing on the shoulders of those who came before us. If not for the accomplishments of the Wright Brothers we might not have been able to accomplish what we are today. Paying homage to our predecessors isn't superstition imo.
    Most likely but it never hurts have a lucky charm either - I did mean it half in Jest. Really Akar did you do programming because if you admit your first program was not hello world everyone around might just edge away. Although they may stop making signs against evil if you add but I did the C/F temp conversion program instead.
    Last edited by conon394; April 19, 2021 at 02:31 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Since it was mentioned here, I guess it makes sense to share these videos about Ingenuity's first flight
    Having spent one's childhood at a time when wireless telephones were science fiction, it is quite impressive that we can now have a drone flying in the atmosphere of Mars.

An unrelated thing that I was previously unaware of is that Cruithne seems to be orbiting Earth from a strictly terrestrial point of view, although both of course really orbit the Sun.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1380967913604194307

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

oh well I read about Cruithne not long ago, it's interesting how the perspective often does not comply with the reality, in astronomy I mean, we believed that the sun was orbiting the Earth, didn't we?

However, I've been reading and watching quite much about "orbits" recently, and it's a fascinating argument, in particular when it comes to interaction and gravity effects. For instance it's interesting to know that Jupiter and Saturn are orbiting on a 1:2 ratio (or 2:1, it's the same!), basically by the time Saturn makes 1 full orbit, Jupiter makes 2. That means that they are in orbital resonance and to achieve that stability they had to migrate from and to their actual position during the evolution of the solar system. Recently I watched a documentary about how all the gas giants have first migrated towards the sun and then later on far from it (I'm not going into details now, the theory says that they were slowed down by the presence of gases, which were later dissipated by the increasing Sun wind; however they used it to explain the Late Heavy Bombardment), and that during this process Jupiter and Saturn entered in orbital resonance. Something similar happened with Neptune and many of the Kuiper belt objects, as seen below (my bad I could only find the image with Italian text in it, but it's pretty self explanatory anyways).

If we really want to dig into the theory, it says that both Uranus and Neptune did not form where they are now, but possibly much closer to the sun (this due to the supposed lack of gases in their actual position) and later on migrated outwards, especially after Jupiter and Saturn got to their 1:2 resonance.. however, once Neptune migrated it scattered the orbits of all the Kuiper belt object, many of which were sent towards the inner solar system (and here you have the Late Heavy Bombardment), all the others set on various orbital resonances with Neptune (as shown by the pic above); mind you, this is a very rough explanation of the theory.

However, it's interesting to know that orbital resonance does occur with moons as well, Io-Europa-Ganymede are orbiting Jupiter on a 1:2:4 resonance, as shown below

that quite certainly means that they accumulated or lost angular momentum and speed, during their existence, due to the effects of Jupiter's gravity, until they found this stability.

On the matter of moons' orbits, it's also interesting to distinguish between a Planet-moon relation and a double planet system: if we look at the Earth-Moon system, we can barely say that its not a double planet system, this because of the arbitrary definition we humans gave of it: all the objects that orbit one around the other influence each other (even the sun, despite having 99,9 % of the total mass of our system, is influenced, in minimum terms, by the masses of all the other objects in the system; this is also a method used to spot extrasolar planets, due to their orbital influence on their own stars), and they have a center-of-mass that they share, around which both orbit; if this point (aka barycenter) lays within one of the two bodies, then the other one is orbiting the one who has the barycenter inside: that's the case of the Earth-Moon system, it lays inside the Earth, but not for much. On the contrary, the Pluto-Charon system is actually a "double planet", since the barycenter lays outside of the bigger body (Pluto)

Now, think of the reciprocal influence of all the bodies we have in our solar system.... amazing, stuff for quantum computers exclusively.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

On the matter of moons' orbits, it's also interesting to distinguish between a Planet-moon relation and a double planet system: if we look at the Earth-Moon system, we can barely say that its not a double planet system, this because of the arbitrary definition we humans gave of it: all the objects that orbit one around the other influence each other (even the sun, despite having 99,9 % of the total mass of our system, is influenced, in minimum terms, by the masses of all the other objects in the system; this is also a method used to spot extrasolar planets, due to their orbital influence on their own stars), and they have a center-of-mass that they share, around which both orbit; if this point (aka barycenter) lays within one of the two bodies, then the other one is orbiting the one who has the barycenter inside: that's the case of the Earth-Moon system, it lays inside the Earth, but not for much. On the contrary, the Pluto-Charon system is actually a "double planet", since the barycenter lays outside of the bigger body (Pluto)
    Really interesting discussion on not only possible double planet systems but especially the arbitrary definitions (dwarf planets anyone?) that us humans assign to things. I never even considered the double planet interpretation, regardless of how fascinating I have found the relationship between Pluto and Charon. So if Pluto had the exact same mass but it was a sufficiently large gas planet for the barycenter to stay barely within the extent of the center of Charon's orbit, it would be called a regular planet (I am not a fan of the dwarf planet designation) with a moon? Another way to look at it would be that Charon is clearly orbiting Pluto but Pluto is not orbiting Charon. By that criterion, I would call Charon a moon no matter if the tail was wagging the dog to the extent of the barycenter falling outside the sphere of Pluto.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I always prefer the simple statement that in the absence or neglibility of other gravitational influences the movement of two given masses (with nonzero angular momentum relative to each other*) is most elegantly described** as both orbiting their common centre of mass. Holds for every case and does not require arbitrary classifications of moons, dwarf/pseudo planets, planets, stars, etc.

*If there is no angular momentum, the two masses will just collide in their centre of mass, but there almost always is some angular momentum.

** One can always choose a different frame of reference in which the movement no longer looks like orbiting, but the relative positions remain the same of course.***

*** In fact this means that strictly speaking "the earth orbits the sun" is just as "true" as "the sun orbits the earth". Its just that in the former case the equations describing the movements of the other bodies in the solar system look more elegant than in the latter (Tycho Brahe, anyone?)
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Really interesting discussion on not only possible double planet systems but especially the arbitrary definitions (dwarf planets anyone?) that us humans assign to things. I never even considered the double planet interpretation, regardless of how fascinating I have found the relationship between Pluto and Charon. So if Pluto had the exact same mass but it was a sufficiently large gas planet for the barycenter to stay barely within the extent of the center of Charon's orbit, it would be called a regular planet (I am not a fan of the dwarf planet designation) with a moon? Another way to look at it would be that Charon is clearly orbiting Pluto but Pluto is not orbiting Charon. By that criterion, I would call Charon a moon no matter if the tail was wagging the dog to the extent of the barycenter falling outside the sphere of Pluto.
    Good point, I guess much depends on single cases, and considering how variable (infinite variables, actually) the Universe is, every single definition or axiom or whatever is subject to personal interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    I always prefer the simple statement that in the absence or neglibility of other gravitational influences the movement of two given masses (with nonzero angular momentum relative to each other*) is most elegantly described** as both orbiting their common centre of mass. Holds for every case and does not require arbitrary classifications of moons, dwarf/pseudo planets, planets, stars, etc.

*If there is no angular momentum, the two masses will just collide in their centre of mass, but there almost always is some angular momentum.

** One can always choose a different frame of reference in which the movement no longer looks like orbiting, but the relative positions remain the same of course.***

*** In fact this means that strictly speaking "the earth orbits the sun" is just as "true" as "the sun orbits the earth". Its just that in the former case the equations describing the movements of the other bodies in the solar system look more elegant than in the latter (Tycho Brahe, anyone?)
    It's all so complex and interconnected, only very advanced computing will be able to tell us what rules on what, in some thousands of year probably

I like what Dante said, to cut it short: "L'amor che muove il sole, e l'altre stelle".
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Moderator Emeritus

Good point, I guess much depends on single cases, and considering how variable (infinite variables, actually) the Universe is, every single definition or axiom or whatever is subject to personal interpretation.
    Many-Body-Problems are indeed very hard to calculate and it gets even worse when considering general relativity, where we have been able to obtain analytical solutions of Einstein's equations only for the simplest of settings (like Schwarzschildt), but the general wording of what happens is still very elegant there: All masses contribute to the energy momentum tensor, which determines the shape of spacetime, on which all masses (in the absence of other forces than gravity) in turn move on the straightest possible lines.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Blog Entries

A pair of orbiting black holes millions of times the Sun’s mass perform a hypnotic dance in this NASA visualization. The movie traces how the black holes distort and redirect light emanating from the maelstrom of hot gas – called an accretion disk – that surrounds each one.

Here you can find original Nasa's article

Fascinating, to say the least

Moderator Emeritus

The movie traces how the black holes distort and redirect light emanating from the maelstrom of hot gas
    I'd even say that the black holes do not distort the light - they distort the space(time) in which the light is propagating. The light still takes the straightest line possible in the curved geometry around the black holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post

I would also like to point out (you know this, of course) that this kind of relativity is only illusionary when we inspect astronomical bodies. The relevant vantage point in astronomy is always from outside the system that is being inspected. Looking from outside the Solar system, there is no doubt that Earth orbits the sun. And looking from outside the Milky Way, Sun orbits the galactic center.

Moderator Emeritus

I would also like to point out (you know this, of course) that this kind of relativity is only illusionary when we inspect astronomical bodies. The relevant vantage point in astronomy is always from outside the system that is being inspected. Looking from outside the Solar system, there is no doubt that Earth orbits the sun. And looking from outside the Milky Way, Sun orbits the galactic center.
    Yes and no.
    In terms of the mathematical models the relativity is very much real and not just illusionary. The change from a geocentric to a heliocentric picture is just a coordinate transformation, as long as you faithfully describe the movements of all bodies in the system (which excludes the actual ptolemaic system where the planets were supposed to orbit earth as well). Of course the equations look much uglier in the geocentric model, which is why we prefer the heliocentric (or more precisely: barycentric) one.
    In terms of the mental images our theories produce I fully agree, that the relevant view is from the outside with all bodies orbiting the barycentre.
    Funnily, in terms of raw observational data one has to acknowledge that the vast majority of our measurements are necessarily geocentric and as such exist primarily as sets of geocentric celestial (2D!) coordinates, maybe with some added estimates on the third, distance, dimension based on parallax or luminosity measurements. The powerful computations transforming these geocentric data into a barycentric model of our solar system are often underrated - in particular if you consider that Kepler did these transformations based on wholly non-digital data without any computational help in the 17th century.
    Feeding lots of data to a computer and letting it spit out some nice plots after a few seconds is one thing we can all accomplish, but just having raw, geocentric data and seeing the barycentric ellipses hidden in these - that's the real deal and probably a level of mathematical intuition none of us will ever reach.

Yes, it is a an extremely complex process to calculate cosmic distances and positions from our fixed observation post here on Earth with all its limitations. I have a lot of respect for the astronomers and astrophysicists who have developed models and observational methods. The precision of the radial-velocity method in detecting exoplanets, for instance, is nothing short of miraculous to a layman such as me. Scientifically literate or not.

This probably falls more in the area of philosophy of science than astronomy, but has anyone else here questioned the notion of the Fermi paradox (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox)?

I have a really hard time acknowledging that any paradox exists. Given the difficulties in interstellar travel (I hold a view that those difficulties are insurmountable, although others disagree), in my opinion there is no reason to assume that we would have been visited or observed by other civilizations even if the universe was teeming with life. We have been transmitting signals for some time, but those signals have not yet reached very far. On a cosmic scale, the earliest signals sent are still within the local neighborhood. I also give some credence to the pessimistic view that technological civilizations are likely to destroy themselves. If we are already causing some sort of climate catastrophy before putting a person on Mars, it may well be that civilizations simply cannot reach a point in which they could have interactions with other civilizations before their natural resources are spent or their living conditions have been ruined.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

This probably falls more in the area of philosophy of science than astronomy, but has anyone else here questioned the notion of the Fermi paradox (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox)?

I have a really hard time acknowledging that any paradox exists. Given the difficulties in interstellar travel (I hold a view that those difficulties are insurmountable, although others disagree), in my opinion there is no reason to assume that we would have been visited or observed by other civilizations even if the universe was teeming with life. We have been transmitting signals for some time, but those signals have not yet reached very far. On a cosmic scale, the earliest signals sent are still within the local neighborhood.
    Same here. Space, even 'only' on the galactic level, is so absurdly vast, it is entirely possible that civilizations (even very advanced ones) can exist in the same galaxy without ever detecting each other.
    Fermi's thoughts in particular aim at the assumption that civilizations would at some stage of development try and colonize galaxies with optimized exponential growth, thereby leaving all kinds of detectable technology in their wake or even prevent the evolution of other sentients like our evolution. It's being assumed that colonization at some point would be fully automated and AI controlled and aimed at building up some kind of network to exploit galactic resources. This assumption is more or less plausible the more advanced a civilization is thought to be, so basically the older it is. So Fermi and related thinkers were basically arguing that we should have by now detected some trace of alien life, assuming they all strive for expansion in some way. But is it really that?
    My, maybe naïve, interjection at this point would be that civilizations might not at all want to expand as much as possible in order to secure the existence of its denizens, citizens, whatever. A logistical network on a galactic level might not be economically feasible or sustainable. The other, I think less likely, possibility would be that we are in fact alone, at least in the Milky Way. More modern discussions of the topic seem to be more inclined to emphasize that sentient life, unlike basic unicellular life, is much rarer than previously assumed. The likelihood for early hominids to succeed by evolving bigger, more efficient brains doesn't seem to be the most likely outcome at all. On the other hand, central nervous systems throughout the evolution and through all strains of taxa and species that have survived thus far seemed to have become more and more efficient. This applies to all vertebrates and even to some invertebrates like octopuses and cuttlefish which are astonishingly smart. It really is hard to tell which scenario is the most likely at this point, but the topic doesn't cease to be a source of fascination, yeah.

I also give some credence to the pessimistic view that technological civilizations are likely to destroy themselves. If we are already causing some sort of climate catastrophy before putting a person on Mars, it may well be that civilizations simply cannot reach a point in which they could have interactions with other civilizations before their natural resources are spent or their living conditions have been ruined.
    I think total self caused destruction is unlikely. Unfortunately a partial collapse of civilization is quite possible, but not a total extinction event at our own hands. So I would say that it is somewhat possible that mankind suffers a severe setback due to climate change and ensuing conflicts, but a total self-annihilation, while still possible, is pretty unlikely in my humble opinion. It is more likely that mankind suffers death by some kind of catastrophe, like supervolcanism or an asteroid impact.
    Last edited by swabian; May 14, 2021 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swabian View Post
    Fermi's thoughts in particular aim at the assumption that civilizations would at some stage of development try and colonize galaxies with optimized exponential growth, thereby leaving all kinds of detectable technology in their wake or even prevent the evolution of other sentients like our evolution.
    My, maybe naïve, interjection at this point would be that civilizations might not at all want to expand as much as possible in order to secure the existence of its denizens, citizens, whatever. A logistical network on a galactic level might not be economically feasible or sustainable.
    Thank you for your well thought-out input. Given the astounding practical difficulties of interstellar travel, I find it unlikely that any such exploration could even take place, let alone establishing an economically feasible network on a galactic level. The nearest star system to us (that in the cosmic scale of distances is practically growing on the skin of our solar system) would take some 10,000 years to reach with present technology.

If we were able to accelerate spaceships to light speed by some method that would be nothing short of miraculous, the distances would still be too great handle. With the acceleration phase considered, it would most likely take more than a human lifespan to reach a system 60 light years away, and by then time dilation would make any hope of reaching people back home hopeless. And 60 light years is peanuts. There might not be anything of even colonization interest that close to us let alone someone to trade with.

I have also seen various calculation attempts of the energy needed to accelerate a physical object, such as a large starship, to light speed. Some state that reaching half the light speed would take as much as the entire energy output of humankind over ten years. Others say that reaching full light speed could take more energy than there is available on Earth. I do not have the competence to assess those calculations, but I take the words of astronomers and astrophysicists who deem human interstellar travel impossible very seriously.

It is my conviction that people's tendency to assume that technological advancement will eventually lead us into being able to colonize the galaxy is based solely on popular culture. Growing up with scifi literature, movies, and comics have conditioned us to think that those things are just discoveries yet to be made. We have become cozy with the idea of Captain Kirk and his fictional colleagues boldly going where no man has gone before. But we need to understand that if lightspeed is unattainable to us and not even lightspeed is enough for routine space travel, all of that is within the realm of fantasy. In fact, we may be more likely to genetically engineer orcs and dwarves than having a functional galactic empire. Or even having a single outpost in another star system.

The other, I think less likely, possibility would be that we are in fact alone, at least in the Milky Way. More modern discussions of the topic seem to be more inclined to emphasize that sentient life, unlike basic unicellular life, is much rarer than previously assumed.
    One thing that we need to understand is that, as long as we do not understand the mechanism of how life begins and we have only observed it having happened once, there is absolutely no way of estimating its likelihood. If you have seen someone positing a likelihood now or referring to previous assumptions, you already know that they operate outside the boundaries of scientific inquiry. We do not have any scientific grounds for estimating the likelihood of life. If we find even primitive life on another celestial body or somehow come across a chemical explanation for the birth of life and can artificially reproduce it, that can change our understanding overnight. But right now, we cannot give any likelihood to life existing anywhere else in the universe but Earth. No matter how many galaxies and planets there are. We could very well be the only things alive in the entire vast universe, as counterintuitive as that may sound (I admit, it does to me).

I think total self caused destruction is unlikely. Unfortunately a partial collapse of civilization is quite possible, but not a total extinction event at our own hands. So I would say that it is somewhat possible that mankind suffers a severe setback due to climate change and ensuing conflicts, but a total self-annihilation, while still possible, is pretty unlikely in my humble opinion. It is more likely that mankind suffers death by some kind of catastrophe, like supervolcanism or an asteroid impact.
    Total annihilation is unlikely indeed without the external influences that you mention. However, the setback you describe is probably much more likely than a future of technological marvel that allows us to conquer new star systems and extend our species to the far reaches of space. And any setbacks like that will delay those plans indefinitely.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

In popular culture, the colonization of space by mankind is generally not being imagined as fundamentally different from the colonization of much of earth by Europeans in the past 5 centuries. It is rooted in the belief that seeking out new frontiers and conquering new land is not just mankind's destiny, but a prerequisite for survival: expand or die. Generally though, few bother to think things through: does colonizing space actually provide the solutions attributed to it? Consider, for instance, the notion that colonizing space is a necessary precaution against extinction. It seems to make sense until the realization strikes that there is barely a disaster imaginable that would make Earth less enduringly hospitable than a space colony. Overpopulation? It's not like 'spacelifting' billions out of the gravity well will ever happen. Besides why look to space, when we have Antarctica and the world's oceans left. Then there are ideas that are inherently paradoxical notions like 'terraformation', a process that takes so long that in order to make it happen would require an interim solution so robust that it would negate the need for terraformation in the first place.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    In popular culture, the colonization of space by mankind is generally not being imagined as fundamentally different from the colonization of much of earth by Europeans in the past 5 centuries. It is rooted in the belief that seeking out new frontiers and conquering new land is not just mankind's destiny, but a prerequisite for survival: expand or die. Generally though, few bother to think things through: does colonizing space actually provide the solutions attributed to it? Consider, for instance, the notion that colonizing space is a necessary precaution against extinction. It seems to make sense until the realization strikes that there is barely a disaster imaginable that would make Earth less enduringly hospitable than a space colony. Overpopulation? It's not like 'spacelifting' billions out of the gravity well will ever happen. Besides why look to space, when we have Antarctica and the world's oceans left. Then there are ideas that are inherently paradoxical notions like 'terraformation', a process that takes so long that in order to make it happen would require an interim solution so robust that it would negate the need for terraformation in the first place.
    Even for posthumans space would be a chore. Now, figuring out ways to bring materials of value from space to earth on the other hand and profiting from them. That sounds like a plan humans will eventually make a so.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    It seems to make sense until the realization strikes that there is barely a disaster imaginable that would make Earth less enduringly hospitable than a space colony. Overpopulation? It's not like 'spacelifting' billions out of the gravity well will ever happen. Besides why look to space, when we have Antarctica and the world's oceans left. Then there are ideas that are inherently paradoxical notions like 'terraformation', a process that takes so long that in order to make it happen would require an interim solution so robust that it would negate the need for terraformation in the first place.
    There are plenty of natural disasters that can render the earth completely devoid of life from your odd meteor to that future supernova that is aiming right at us. Moreover even if those things do not happen, the resources on this planet are inherently limited and plenty of them are not renewable, and that includes the planet's ability to harbor complex life. What happens after you've mined everything or when the earth can no longer sustain life?

Terraforming isn't paradoxical, you understanding is somewhat flawed. Yes interim structures have to be robust enough to resist whatever environment, however you cannot deny that it is sub-optimal for everyone to live cooped up in prefab shelters all their life when they could be living like we do here on earth. Terraforming is not a flight of fancy, it's a necessity.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast