Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black or White - A Skyrim ARR

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Black or White - A Skyrim ARR

Hi,

this will be my first AAR und who would guess it plays in Skyrim.

My protagonist is a young female breton mage called Muriel on the search of hidden mighty magic books and artefacts...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The first chapter is in work...

This early opening post is just to force myself to start and search no further excuses why not.

Characters:

Muriel - a young female breton mage from Evermore in High Rock.

List of mods:

Random Alternate Start
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=102287878

Sounds of Skyrim - Civilization
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...s/?id=81064931

Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...tails/?id=9106

Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...ails/?id=13231

Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; January 30, 2021 at 09:00 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Black or White - A Skyrim ARR

Cool screenshot! I'm wondering which start Muriel will have (since you're using a Random Alternate Start mod) and how that might affect her search for books and artefacts.

Thanks, it was a place, which was always on my road and which i wanted to explore, but i always thought: "Next time".^^

The mod is great!

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Welcome Morticia! Welcome to the Writers' Study!

It's a long time someone started a Skyrim AAR. I'll be looking forward to your first forray into AAR-writing.

Chapter I: From Evermore to the White River

Muriel marched grumpy through the pouring rain on the muddy path from Ivarstead to Windhelm. 'What a lousy morning.' she thought. 'I'm walking since hours through this rain. Kyne must really hate me.' As she reached the bridge over the White River at Mixwater Mill, she sat down for a rest. The White Run was swollen because of the lots of rain and crashed with a roar down the valley. As she took her remainding bread out of her badge, she turned immediately away in disgust. The bread had got wet and was covered with a green mould. Angrily she threw the bread into the river and leaned on the Bridge railing.

'Damn! What now? It was my last bread and i have no money anymore...' she thought.

There , half hidden under the rock of the high embankment, she saw a massive, half rotten, round tower. It looked like these kind of towers at lonely, inaccessible places in High Rock, where prisoners were arrested.

'At least i would be dry there.' she thought. Muriel climbed down the left embankment of the river, balanced across some wet, slippery rocks in the roaring river and reached the tower. She opened the decayed door and entered the tower. Inside it was dark and moldy. She lit some fire bowls and torches with a fire spell. Then she sank exhausted to the floor next to the entrace. It was quiet there, quiet like on a graveyard. Graveyard! Her memory went several years back to that night on that damned graveyard...

Her mother Mirabelle was a healer, so she learnt from childhood on, which plants were poisoneous and which were useful to heal a certain sickness. On that special night she should search for her mother some belladonna. She had searched the half night without finding something, as she decided to look on the old rotten graveyard near her village at Evermore, because she knew for sure, that on this graveyard grew many.

Although her mother had strictly forbidden her to enter the graveyard at night because 'great evil lives there', she entered the graveyard without caution. As she was collecting the belladonna, suddenly she heard some rotten branches cracking behind her. She turned quickly around as she saw the half rotten body of a Undead right behind her. In the next moment she felt a burning pain on her left cheek, as the claws of the creature scratched her cheek. Instinctively she stabbed with her torch into the half rotten, eyeless face of the undead. The creature staggered backwards and Muriel ran away, so fast as she had never before, away from that graveyard.

This incident should change her life completely...

When her scars suddenly began to hurt, Muriel was called back into the present. Usually her scars only hurt again, if there was something dangerous... Muriel stood up and walked a stairway downwards deeper into the tower. As she had reached a hall with many prison cells, she heard a whispering...

'Who dares to disturb our quiet?'

And then some transparent ghosts attacked her. But today Muriel wasn't this helpless young girl anymore. With some fire spells she burnt the ghosts to glooming ektoplasma.

Muriel explored then the hall and collected everything, which she could probably sell, and packed it to a bundle. Then she found a opened grid to an old sewer.

Obviously some prisoners tried to escape. Muriel jumped down into the sewer and followed the wet, mouldy tunnel till its ending. There she found the prisoners.

They seemed to have drowned in a flood, worse than this one. 'Poor guys' she thought, 'but thank Julianos' favor i'm still alive.' She climbed up to the embankment. The rain had stopped, the sun was shining. Muriel took her bundle and continued her journey to Windhelm...

Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; February 06, 2021 at 06:02 PM.

A good beginning! I like the way that you explain the origin of Muriel's scar. The comment that the incident "should" change her life - as opposed to "did" change her life - got me thinking. I wonder if the incident should have changed her life but something held her back - and, if so, what (maybe an external enemy, or some inner demons that she needs to overcome?). The screenshots illustrate the tale well and it's good to see that she's not as helpless as she once was.

Thank you for your nice words. And for the hint that 'should' is a bit confusing, since i wanted to say : It had changed her life.

You're welcome! I've made the same kind of mistake. Sometimes a mistake can be useful. I think the idea that this event 'should' have changed her life is interesting - because I wondered why it didn't. Maybe there's a way in which it 'did' change her life, and a way in which it 'should' have changed her life? (For example, a painful event in someone's life might make them more cynical or more compassionate - perhaps it would make them cynical initially, but when combined with more experiences, maybe it could make them compassionate?).

This idea is interesting. I have already thought on something similar. I will think how i can use it to spice my story concept up.

Campidoctor

An AAR by Morticia. This ought to be interesting. Is this your third playthrough already? Damn, you don't get tired of Skyrim ever.

Yeah, i seem to be Skyrim addicted.^^

Content Emeritus

A sinister past, pale eyes that seem to look right through you and the skill to survive hardships. Now there's a woman to my liking.

A wonderful start to the tale. I wonder what brought her from High Rock all the way to Skyrim and in such a way, alone and on foot. Onto Windhelm!

Thank you. It will be revealed, part for part.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

This is a great start!

(I know, I know, everyone's already said that. But I reckon that just means that all of us are right. )

I like the way you included the flashback to hint at how Muriel ended up where she is, and I'm looking forward to learning why she's heading for Windhelm.

Thank you very much. I have already a rough idea about my storybook.^^

Chapter II: Windhelm

Muriel wandered with the bundle on her back along the road to Windhelm. As the road was safe on this day - only a unlucky squeever had crossed her way - Muriel picked some flowers and herbs, which grew along the way, and her mind went back to the time after the undead had scratched her...

The wound on her left cheek had infected and she had got high fever. Three days and nights long she had tossed and turned in a delirium and while the life was slowly leaving her, her body had changed... Then on the fourth day a healer from the vigilants of Stendarr had appeared and had given her a potion, which had decreased the fever and the infection was healed. But Muriel had still lay apathetic for two more weeks in her bed, talking to nobody, even her mother. Then after two weeks Muriel suddenly stood up. But while Muriel had smiled and laughed often before the incident, she now hardly had smiled anymore. She had told her mother, that she would enter the Mages Guild in Evermore after her recovery.

Two weeks later she had begun to study the arcane arts in the Mages Guildhall in Evermore. Alwyn, her teacher in the school of destruction and a former battle mage of the Great War, was proud of her fast progress in fire spells and sword fight. Caillagh, her teacher in the school of recovery, was pleased of her very good understanding of healing spells. Everything seemed to develop well for her till to that day...

"No, you will not get the permission to study this kind of magic. Studies of this kind are forbidden in the Mages Guild since the times of Galerion. And you will get no exception. The rules are the rules." had said Abdul-Mecid, a old Redguard and Arch-mage of the Evermore Mages Guild. Muriel had run furious out of the Arch-Mage Quarters. How could they be so stupid to forbid studying this kind of magic? Was it not wise to know and understand the ways of your enemy to defeat him easier? What did this scholars in their ivory towers know about the real world? She would not waste her time further here, and stay weak because of some stupid old rules! And already in that night she had left Evermore and High Rock and had traveled to Markath. But she hadn't found anyone there, which could teach her, what she was looking for. She went then to Falkreath, but also there was nobody, which could help her on her search. She had heard rumours then about a mage called Wuunferth the Unliving in Windhelm. So she had crossed the mountains beneath the Throat of the World to go to Windhelm...

In the dusk Muriel reached Windhelm.

As Muriel reached the gates of Windhelm the guards stopped her.

"Who are you and what do you want here?"

Muriel answered: "My name is Muriel and to visit the market."

"Show your face!" ordered one of the guards.

Muriel took her hood down. The guard recoiled frightened grasping after his amulett of Arkay. Muriel smiled sneering, as she took her hood up. She was already used to this reaction.

After she slept a night in Candlehearth Hall, she sold the weapons and armours from her bundle on the market and bought some magical books from the earned money. She then asked, where Wuunferth live. After she was told, that he livedin the Palace of the Kings, she went across the old cemetery of Windhelm to the Palace of the Kings.

Wuunferth the Unliving was an very old mage with a wrinkled face.

Muriel introduced herself to Wuunferth. "I'm Muriel, a mage from Evermore. What are you teaching?"

He smiled. "Everything what makes me mightier..."

Muriel was happy inside. Perhaps she has finally found someone, who could teach her that kind of magic, she was looking for... But her reason told her not to be to hastily.

So she buyed two more magical books and said goodbye for now.

Wuunferth would either be very expensive to teach her or he would need a proof from her, that she was worthy to be taught his secrets.

So she would prepare herself to be worthy.

She went back to Candlelight Hall and read the bought magical books the rest of the day. So Muriel learned the new spells of Sparks, Lightning, Candlelight and Oakskin.

And tomorrow she would search a job on the market...
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; February 06, 2021 at 10:32 PM.

Good update! It sounds like Muriel owes her life to the vigilants of Stendarr. I'm curious about what was the forbidden magic that she wanted to learn, and whether the ominously nicknamed Muunferth can teach her, or give her hints of a way to learn it.

Thank you. I must say making the screenshots and then writing the chapter is fun. We 'll see how the story developes.

Content Emeritus

A good update. Some good character development for Muriel as we learn a little bit more from her past. I can't but wonder what she wants from Wuunferth the Unliving :

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast