Thread: Direct X 9c on 12

Default Direct X 9c on 12

I've read it's ok to install direct x 9c on your computer when you allready have direct x 12. It just lets older games look for files that direct x 12 doesn't have, so it lets older games run fine on new computers. Is all this true? Is it ok for me to install direct x 9c on a new computer that allready has direct x 12? the game in question is age of pirates caribbean tales
    "Run to the rescue with love and peace will follow"

Default Re: Direct X 9c on 12

Yes it's okay. I've done it on my PC, it just helps locate some missing DLL files that DX12 default, even though backwards compatible, might not have.

Thank you. You got a link to direct x 9c?

Here's the link:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=8109
    It's a 2 step process
    - Download.
    - Run the exe and it will ask where to extract the contents.
    - Then go there and run the setup.exe.
    Every other old game should work then.

It still says i don't meet minimal requirements I have a brand new lap top, can this game from 2006 be so maxed out that a computer brand new still can't handle it? Its Age of Pirates Caribbean Tales

How are you installing the game? Via CD\DVD? Or is it a digital purchase?
    Seems like a compatibility issue of the exe coming from an old Disk.

It's a 2006 game with the 2006 cd. This program called Star Force comes up and says i don't meet minimal requirements. Someone said at another forum to uninstall Star Force and linked me to the uninstaller. It seems to be a very old program that doesn't know what it's doing, so erasing star force will bypass the hogwash report

Ah I get it now. It's the Starforce DRM that's blocking the game and version of it is not compatible with Win 10. You would have to update starforce DRM, so that it allows the game to launch.
    http://www.star-force.com/support/drivers/

Thanks. I'll consider upgrading star force before getting rid of it.

I heard at another forum star force is bad for your computer if you have windows 10. Do you think i should uninstall starforce or uninstall that whole old game? I think the game's got to go, i don't want to mess up my brand new lap top

Yes uninstall that crap. It might mess with the integrity of Win 10. Also use the Starforce uninstaller & run CCleaner to clean all residual files.

I have another question. In my search bar in the lower left hand corner of my screen, if i type something in like "star force" it has the option of searching "documents" or searching the web. What do i click on to just search my computer to make sure star force is gone?

Taskbar's search option has All, Apps, Documents, Web etc. Choose All but you won't find the residual files by this method because it only shows results based on keywords used. Either use IObit Uninstaller or CCleaner to clean registry.

ok thanks. I ran ccleaner. I think star force uninstalled with the game because it didn't verify itself when i first installed the game as a seperate installation, it just installed itself without asking. So Im sure its gone

It's a shame. Plenty of my classics are blocked with outdated DRMs as well. Though one could attempt to run them in sandbox or virtual machine using Win XP. Have to try that someday and see if these games will role on it or not. Should work flawlessly imo without any risk to my original Win 10.

My game wouldn't run on window xp mode. I find that to be very unaffective with old games. They'll run or they won't regardless of the settings.

Sometimes you may bizarrely find running on a win 98 VM or going through the trouble of making a title linux compatible via wine actually provides a smoother out of box experience once it's said and done. Can't speculate if it would help in this case. Only so much you can do when blame lands squarely on the DRM and there isn't a way to nix it.

I accept. I'm still looking for my dream pirate sim, but i guess the search continues. Should of played this old game years ago when i first bought it