Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [AMENDMENT] Expanding the TWC Milestone Award

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default [AMENDMENT] Expanding the TWC Milestone Award

FINAL AMENDMENT

TWC Milestone Award
    Awarded to those who have been on TWC for 5 years and have accumulated 20,000 posts or to those who have been on TWC for 10 years and have accumulated 10,000 posts or to those who have been on TWC for 15 years regardless of how many posts they have accumulated, and have posted at the least once after becoming eligible as per one of the listed conditions.

original OP

A quick intro: I've been dealing with giving out this award for quite a while now, and I must say it could benefit from an expansion. It being intended to reward long term members (and thus thank them and hopefully stimulate them to be more active in the forum), it saddens me to see that some of those who are still active past the 10 years barrier, might not have reached the 10k and thus does not qualify for the Milestone Award.

My proposal is to extend the Milestone Award to anyone who has been on the site for at the least 15 years, regardless of how many posts they have. Of course only those who are still active (see it that have posted at the least once) after reaching the 15 year barrier, will be eligible.
    I've done a quick search, and if I look at those who have been active (posted) during the last 12 months, potentially there's a pool for about 100 recipients over the next 12 months.

Updated Award reasoning could be

TWC Milestone Award
    Awarded to those who have been on TWC for 10 years and have accumulated 10,000 posts, or to those who have been on TWC for 15 years regardless of how many posts they have accumulated, and have posted after completing the former.

When thinking about this amendment, please keep the following in mind:

a) there will be a pool of members that have been here for more than 10 years but less than 15 and that haven't posted 10k or more posts who are not going to get the award, either way. I'm personally fine with this, since originally when the award was created it was intended to award only active members, something we still keep after this amendment, all that we do is to extend the opportunity to be eligible to another group of members. Having being active on a site for 15 years is quite something, regardless of the actual level of activity, and deserves recognition.

b) as I said, this award is intended to both thank long term members and also to possibly stimulate them to be more active (or active again) in the site. There are few members who have been here for over 15 years who really deserve it, no matter how much they have posted (some of them are even citizens)

c) I use to PM members eligible for the actual award to make them aware that they could qualify if they post, this in order to let them know and hopefully have them to be more active (I'm only Pming members who have been active within a certain time frame, those who have been away for long aren't likely going to be back at all, and thus be able to read any PM). I'll do the same with the new group of possible recipients.

d) if we really want to put a barrier for a minimum threshold of activity, then 500 posts is something I would consider, but honestly that would go entirely against the logic of expanding this award, IMO. They have been here for 15 years, they have posted only 200 times, but last time they posted yesterday to ask info on a mod? They deserve this award, period.
    Last edited by Flinn; February 03, 2021 at 03:11 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [AMENDMENT] Expanding the TWC Milestone Award

They arrived here fifteen years ago and continue to somehow frequent the place, it does not hurt a recognition by TWC in my opinion. I certainly do not think they deserve it less than those who meet the 10 years/10k posts requirement.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

So, I still need to be active for another 5 years in order to get the TWC Milestone Award and I doubt I'll accumulate +5K posts for the next 3-4 years.

But despite that I support this amendment.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Support.

It might be a nice idea to have a separate award for people who are here for 15 years rather than sharing the same milestone award.

If so, I volunteer to make any required art.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Support

I quite like Akar's suggestion as well

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Support.

It might be a nice idea to have a separate award for people who are here for 15 years rather than sharing the same milestone award.

People who have been here 15 years would then have a new medal and the milestone award (if they have also posted 10.000 posts)? Wouldn't it be two awards for practically the same thing?

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

How many people fit both categories?

Being a member for at least 15 years is one award.

Being a member for at least 10 years and having 10k posts is another.

Blog Entries

I fit both categories, I think couple more users I know too. Flinn may be able to tell the exact figure. I would have no problem wearing both medals, but it would seem a bit redundant to me. Anyway, I guess if it's just me and two or three other users, no problem.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm not really seeing how they're redundant. One is for 10 years + 10k posts, the other for 15 years.

If it helps with redundancy you could swap out the 10 year award for the 15 year award when you hit that milestone.

Blog Entries

It seems to me that they overlap a bit, but yes, if there is the option to choose one between the two, I would not have any problem.

Blog Entries

I'd prefer to keep one single award, the idea of having two is nice, but honestly it does not make sense to overlap them.. after all this is already called the TWC Milestone Award, not the 10 years award (officially at the least )

however, in any case the award icon needs to be remade, so there will be some work for you Akar, don't worry
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Optionally:

TWC Milestone Award
    Awarded to those who have been on TWC for 10 years and have accumulated 10,000 posts, to those who have been on TWC for 5 years and have accumulated 20,000 posts or to those who have been on TWC for 15 years regardless of how many posts they have accumulated, and have posted after completing the former.

Now, I'm not entirely sure this should be an option, but let's follow my logic here:

First, when the award was originally discussed, someone proposed a tiered version, which was largely rejected based on the logic that a milestone is a milestone, is to say it's an exceptional goal that either you have reached or you haven't, to which I agree as well.
    Said the above, as we said the purpose of this award is to recognize members who have somewhat left their mark on the site because of long time and active participation, thus I think that including that 3rd option is a possibility.. rather than making a tiered version, we simply identify 3 different conditions at which a member has reached a sufficient threshold for being recognized as a "historical" member of this community.

- 5 years and 20k posts
    - 10 years and 10k posts
    - 15 years
    Whatever threshold the member reaches first will give them the Milestone Award, so only one issue per member obviously, and one single medal and model icon.

No doubt that in many cases this award, as already happens, will be given to people who already has plenty of awards (if one has been active for long in the site, it's not unlikely to happen), but at the same time about half of the recipients will be (as they already are) members who have been involved in only one or two areas of the site (mostly modding), which is nice.

Besides, Gigantus has repeatedly broken the site with his many awards, so we can manage few more awarded people, I guess

Blog Entries

I dislike the first step (5 years/20k posts) a bit because practically it is just rewarding the high volume of posts (although I understand that a lot of activity is a good thing for TWC). It's probably just a matter of perspective, but it seems to me that five years here is not something minimally exceptional.

on the other hand, and out of curiosity, who writes 20k messages in just five years? Are there really users who meet those criteria?
    Last edited by mishkin; January 25, 2021 at 05:39 AM.

Blog Entries

on the other hand, and out of curiosity, who writes 20k messages in just five years? Are there really users who meet those criteria?
    There have been few Besides, having this further conditions means that whenever one gets to 20k posts after having reached the 5 years, they will get the award.. likely we will have some members who are on 7-8 years and have 20k posts, and they are totally eligible to be recognized as "historical" members of TWC, IMO.

And yes I too as well had a doubt about "fostering spamming", but we all know nowadays that there's spamming and spamming, so to say.. as long as someone posts productively, having a high ratio of posts per day isn't an issue per se; also, the ToS (or better to say moderation) takes case of true spamming on a regular base.

Blog Entries

ok, all understood

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

If someone posts at an ultrahigh frequency, quality's bound to suffer

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Support.

I'm on board with this. The milestone award has to be re-made in any case, as it's currently proudly displaying the number 10, which doesn't make sense for those who've been here for 15.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

This is a proposal that increases fun. I support increased fun. Therefore I support this proposal

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    If someone posts at an ultrahigh frequency, quality's bound to suffer
    But if someone posts on a ultralow frequency, quality isn't bound to improve either.^^

Yes. (To that proposal).
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; January 26, 2021 at 03:46 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

Just today I met a member from 2006 who only has a little more than 250 posts, but that has cooperated extensively with various modding teams, and they represent the perfect example of a worthy recipient for the award, as modified by the proposed amendment.

however, I don't believe much thinking is needed here, in any case I've PMed Halie to get his opinion (unless I'm mistaken he was the original proposer of the Milestone Award)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast