Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Modding Awards - Commentary Thread

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: 2020 Modding Awards - Commentary Thread

Technically once a mod is hosted here it's no longer a non-TWC mod which means if they get nominated it would not be as non-TWC mods. It really boils down to 'having presence and membership will remain a basic condition'. It's somewhat unlikely that you will find any award of this type that will have a category for 'not present on our site' items on any modding site.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Ah, you mean non-TotalWarCreated mods.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Blog Entries

TWC = Total War Center
    I guess you meant non Total War Series mods, as in the non total war games directory. In that case I sincerely doubt that there are sufficient mods to justify a individual category.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    In that case I sincerely doubt that there are sufficient mods to justify a individual category.
    This. I'm pretty sure that we already had this discussion (both privately and publicly), and that that was the conclusion.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    This. I'm pretty sure that we already had this discussion (both privately and publicly), and that that was the conclusion.
    A discussion is just a discussion, nothing else.

However, I want to add what z3n said in another thread a while back and having a non-TW modding category is in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    TBH, I feel like we need to focus on something more than just TW at this point. Perhaps other games as well, something to consider. TW's niche has always been modding related and there aren't really any modding tutorial or modding Q&A sites that I'm aware of aside from this.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Blog Entries

Simple steps:
    1. Expand non Total War game support (as z3n suggests)
    2. Include in awards once expanded sufficiently (in line with your suggestion)

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Simple steps:
    1. Expand non Total War game support (as z3n suggests)
    2. Include in awards once expanded sufficiently (in line with your suggestion)
    That's what hex could discuss and make sure it happen without just talking and nothing happens after a long (several days or even weeks) dicussion has ended.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    A discussion is just a discussion, nothing else.

However, I want to add what z3n said in another thread a while back and having a non-TW modding category is in the right direction.
    As of today the whole discussion is inconsistent, if you ask me, due to lack of non-TW mods at TWC. However, you are welcome to join the Modding Awards Committee, make your proposals and work actively to realize them. This is how it works in a community based on voluntary contributions, pretending to have someone else "doing stuff" don't work, and never worked.

That's what hex could discuss and make sure it happen without just talking and nothing happens after a long (several days or even weeks) dicussion has ended.
    If you are referring to GED's thread, I think he's been pretty clear on what he expects for the future of TWC.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

As of today the whole discussion is inconsistent, if you ask me, due to lack of non-TW mods at TWC. However, you are welcome to join the Modding Awards Committee, make your proposals and work actively to realize them. This is how it works in a community based on voluntary contributions, pretending to have someone else "doing stuff" don't work, and never worked.
    I understand what you're saying, but without sanctioned support from hex I fail to see how that, what you just said, can be accomplished. To me that sound like a catch-22.

So, if there were an announcement about extending the modding awards to include non-TW mods then I see it realistic.

If you are referring to GED's thread, I think he's been pretty clear on what he expects for the future of TWC.
    Yes and no. Mostly due to what GED thinks (I don't know his opinion) about having non-TW mods hosted on TWC, but also what z3n pointed out.

Blog Entries

I understand what you're saying, but without sanctioned support from hex I fail to see how that, what you just said, can be accomplished. To me that sound like a catch-22.
    I'm part of the Modding Awards committee, what other "support from Hex" you might need?

So, if there were an announcement about extending the modding awards to include non-TW mods then I see it realistic.
    You keep missing the point mate, there's no sense to make an announcement like that as of today, you would base such an announcement on what, precisely? There are not enough non-TW mods at TWC to create a category for them in the modding awards, and as Gig said, you need to "expand the support", then attract those mods and modders etc.. the whole process might need years actually and certainly will need the work of a minimum of 3 people over that period; only after you have achieved that, it will make sense to have a category on the awards. You start to build the house from the basement, not from the roof.
    Last edited by Flinn; March 24, 2021 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typo, dammit

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Thats pretty late to say so, when the nominations period is over i mean. Anyways that would probably NOT work, because of how many(few) non-TW modders and community do you have here? I think its fair to say not many.

Realisticly, if you want to have non-TW categories, the TWC itself would first have to be expanded into those different areas, and thats probably totally unrealistic.

I'm part of the Modding Awards committee, what other "support from Hex" you might need?
    Well, as many hex as possible. For example, things would look a lot better if GED expressed his opinion (appreciation?) about having a non-TW modding category, but I think that is too much to ask.

Maybe other hex or former hex, I know m_1512 is a Oblivion modder (check around in the Bethesda Games forum and you probably need to dig deep into the depth of that forum to find a few threads), and Alwyn, Caillagh (AAR) are another hexes, I know are playing Skyrim.

You keep missing the point mate, there's no sense to make an announcement like that as of today, you would base such an announcement on what, precisely? There are not enough non-TW mods at TWC to create a category for them in the modding awards, and as Gig said, you need to "expand the support", then attract those mods and modders etc.. the whole process might need years actually and certainly will need the work of a minimum of 3 people over that period; only after you have achieved that, it will make sense to have a category on the awards. You start to build the house from the basement, not from the roof.
    I don't think so, because first we need to get people to start posting in the Bethesda Games forum and posting an announcement or even a poll about having a non-TW modding category in the TWC Modding Award is in the right direction.

But without such a post then I don't think I can do much about it. Except to start *spamming* for a good cause.

Let me ask you something. How many people have posted in that forum for the last 1-2 years? Not many I am afraid and I don't like to brag, but I think I've posted the majority of those posts for the last 1-2 years.

So, right now I'm probably the only one who wishes there were a non-TW modding category included in the annual TWC Modding Award.

Blog Entries

Well, as many hex as possible. For example, things would look a lot better if GED expressed his opinion (appreciation?) about having a non-TW modding category, but I think that is too much to ask.
    I don't think GED ever bothered about the Modding Awards, for what matters; however, we don't need him for something like that. And you keep missing the point Leo, we all agree that having non TW mods at TWC would be great, but just wanting it doesn't make it a thing, you know?

Maybe other hex or former hex, I know m_1512 is a Oblivion modder (check around in the Bethesda Games forum and you probably need to dig deep into the depth of that forum to find a few threads), and Alwyn, Caillagh (AAR) are another hexes, I know are playing Skyrim.
    You see what you are doing here again? Pretending others to do, or to be involved, when you don't seem to be ready to carry on with that yourself.

I don't think so, because first we need to get people to start posting in the Bethesda Games forum and posting an announcement or even a poll about having a non-TW modding category in the TWC Modding Award is in the right direction.

But without such a post then I don't think I can do much about it. Except to start *spamming* for a good cause.

Let me ask you something. How many people have posted in that forum for the last 1-2 years? Not many I am afraid and I don't like to brag, but I think I've posted the majority of those posts for the last 1-2 years.
    I wonder if you actually read my posts above, this is precisely what I'm telling you mate; we need people to carry out that kind of activity if we want to attract non TW mods here, and this is valid for any kind of possible moddable game. However, we are not ModDB, we are Total War Center, keep this in mind

So, right now I'm probably the only one who wishes there were a non-TW modding category included in the annual TWC Modding Award.
    Read my very second line above, thanks. But read it.

Now, we are going in circles here Leo, and people gets bored to read the same stuff over and over, so to cut it short I'll make a clear summary of the situation:

- Everybody would love to have a non-TW category in the Modding Awards, but as of today we don't have enough to justify it.
    - Everybody, Hex included, would love to have more non-TW mods at TWC, but in order to do that we need volunteers to a) build up local support for those mods and b) work actively to attract those mods here; as of today we have no volunteers for that.
    - If you are really keen on carrying out with this idea, you are welcome to join the Modding Awards committee as a first step and begin to discuss it, make your proposals and requests, discuss with others, etc. I say "as a first step", because if this will ever become a thing we will probably need to create a new Staff department for that.

And let me stress out one point again: TWC gives to people the opportunity to contribute and to go the extra mile to pursue their ideas, all that they have to do is to put their moneys where their mouths are.

Fair enough.

The first step would be to include non-TWC mods in the Misc category, just to see what result it would have.

But, unfortunately I don't think that can (will?) happen, so what's the point about me joining the TWC Modding Awards committee when non-TW mods are excluded from the Misc category in the first place.

I know I am a bit pessimistic here, but that's what impression I have about non-TW mods on TWC.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

You know guys, its a bit hard to advertise TWC for something non-TW, because the name says Total War Center. So lets say you find someone who is interested, you tell them its Total War Center but there are also sections for the Elder Scrolls, or Bannerlord, or whatever. TWC is a brand by this point that is only associated with Total War and i think it would be really difficult to change that.

I mean its like we often buy some things at a petrol/gas station, but for real groceries we dont go to a petrol/gas station. Thats the problem i see. It would probably have to be a major makeover of the TWC as a whole to create those other branches and make them thrive. The only way i see that happening is selling TWC to a company that can do such things.

Otherwise you would need a team of dedicated people to do that. People who will sacrifice their personal free time for that. I used to have a guild back in the day in WoW and recruited hundreds of people over a span of 4 years, and im gonna have to tell you that it is a lot of work to find people interested in similar things who will join you (and keeping things interesting so they wont leave). It takes a lot of work and time and dedication and at the end of the day if you dont feel this as a personal mission or gain for what you are doing, nobody will do that with enough comitment i think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    You know guys, its a bit hard to advertise TWC for something non-TW, because the name says Total War Center. So lets say you find someone who is interested, you tell them its Total War Center but there are also sections for the Elder Scrolls, or Bannerlord, or whatever. TWC is a brand by this point that is only associated with Total War and i think it would be really difficult to change that.
    As I said, this is TWC, not ModDB

Otherwise you would need a team of dedicated people to do that. People who will sacrifice their personal free time for that. I used to have a guild back in the day in WoW and recruited hundreds of people over a span of 4 years, and im gonna have to tell you that it is a lot of work to find people interested in similar things who will join you (and keeping things interesting so they wont leave). It takes a lot of work and time and dedication and at the end of the day if you dont feel this as a personal mission or gain for what you are doing, nobody will do that with enough comitment i think.
    precisely what I meant when I say "put their moneys where their mouths are".

Blog Entries

For the records, we plan to close the polls on the 6th or the 7th of April (it being 3 weeks on the 5th of April).

In case you haven't vote yet, please remember to do so before the polls will close!

Blog Entries

I've just closed all the polls and moved them to the Committee private forum for double checking; once we've finished we will move them back to the public archive and at the same time release the official results.

Stay tuned!

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

well done flinno

Blog Entries

He is a veritable 'close and move' aficionado

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast