Page 7 of 143 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: President Biden's first term in office

Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

binge for profit?

Covid is a piss poor excuse to shoot the economy in the head, and I am totally convinced the dems used it as a way to unseat Trump. You won't convince me otherwise, because even Biden disregarded his own mask order on day one.

Accepting everything you've said is true for the sake of argument, please explain how the Biden plan solves the problem. I watched Bush and Obama bail out Bank of America and other "too big to fail" corporations. Cash to citizen bailouts seem better to me, it's true, but any worker in a minimum wage job working full time earns $1,200.00 per month. We've been in lockdown for 12 months. The average American Joe has received $2,000.00 to date. Even another $2,000.00 is a joke. Where has the money gone? Where is the money to go? The Biden Buck Printing Machine go BBRRRRR package could give every American citizen almost $6k in direct payments. Why isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Accepting everything you've said is true for the sake of argument, please explain how the Biden plan solves the problem....
    Hmmm...?

You won't convince me otherwise...
    Really? Nah...

You're a bit one sided and just a bit too interested in your dollar signs. Do your scrooge mcduck and dive into the safe now.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

An admission of defeat in a very weak attempt to frame my argument disingenuously. I accept it. You have no explanation for this awful plan except that 2/3 of the cashola is going straight elsewhere other than the pockets of the average American Joe. I come not to praise Trump but to bury him but man, I can't help but laugh at how weak the arguments have become...
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; February 08, 2021 at 07:45 PM.

An admission of defeat in a very weak attempt to frame my argument disingenuously. I accept it. You have no explanation for this awful plan except that 2/3 of the cashola is going straight elsewhere other than the pockets of the average American Joe.
    I've already made my argument. Keeping people fed and sheltered is the purpose. You being obsessed about your wallet and throwing a red herring out is the distraction.

Change my mind.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; February 09, 2021 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Off-topic.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    I've already made my argument.
    And it's weaksauce.

Keeping people fed and sheltered is the purpose.
    Which this proposal isn't even tailored to do, as I've shown unequivocally. With that amount of shekels, every American could get a direct payment of in the neighborhood of 6k. Where's the other 2/3 going?

You being obsessed about your wallet and throwing a red herring out is the distraction.
    You know nothing about me. We can start enumerating logical fallacies ad naseum, but it will be stupid. You like making assumptions, and they are very silly.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    My wife and I have ordered ours direct from Korea since last January.
    The KF94 mask? isn'st a game changer. I particulary like the French Kolmi duckbill masks. Packs of 50.
    ----
    Covid is a piss poor excuse to shoot the economy in the head
    It's impolite to ask your age,but in fact selfish people under 40 years old represent a small fraction of the most severe cases. I hope you'll never get ill enough to get hospitalized in intensive care. On side note, more people than you could imagine die at home from "happy covid/happy hipoxia", that is to say, without significant signs of respiratory distress.Buy a fingertip pulse oximeter. Nowdays,a good oximeter is your best friend.If the SpO2 reading stays at or below 90%, you 're already in trouble.
    Last edited by Ludicus; February 09, 2021 at 01:29 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Speaking as a non-economist and to put this into terms I understand with reards to the 2 trillion dollar Biden Bucks Bailout, how much longer my the money machine go brrrrr before a loaf of bread costs $5,000.00?
    A very long time in all likelyhood.

US treasury rates are day to day effectively zero. There is demand inflationary pressure in the system to be over heated. Nor any supply shocks such as sparked inflation in the 70s. As already noted to yo by other the key thing is to people, business and local governments afloat until vaccines can put back is some place normal but I suppose you they are fake just like the pandemic.

It's impolite to ask your age,but in fact selfish people under 40 years old represent a small fraction of the most severe cases. I hope you'll never get ill enough to get hospitalized in intensive care. On side note, more people than you could imagine die at home from "happy covid/happy hipoxia", that is to say, without significant signs of respiratory distress.Buy a fingertip pulse oximeter. Nowdays,a good oximeter is your best friend.If the SpO2 reading stays at or below 90%, you 're already in trouble.
    But even under 40 can end hospitalized and suffer long term effects.

The term 'mission kill' from the military works better here. Just because you don't sink a ship if three others are distracted to help it not sink and its towed disabled back to base that now has to dedicate resources to fix it you have achieved possibly more than just blowing it out of the water. The impact of COVID is not just the dead but the long hospital stays the sucking all possible resources and of course delaying all kinds of other care that might otherwise have been done or gets postponed.

Which this proposal isn't even tailored to do, as I've shown unequivocally. With that amount of shekels, every American could get a direct payment of in the neighborhood of 6k. Where's the other 2/3 going?

You can't use google?

Example

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/14/b...ulus-plan.html

You like making assumptions
    In my experience here so do you.
    Last edited by conon394; February 09, 2021 at 02:16 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    A very long time in all likelyhood.

US treasury rates are day to day effectively zero. There is demand inflationary pressure in the system to be over heated. Nor any supply shocks such as sparked inflation in the 70s. As already noted to yo by other the key thing is to people, business and local governments afloat until vaccines can put back is some place normal but I suppose you they are fake just like the pandemic.
    While thats somewhat persuasive, the risk is that printing money becomes a rusted-on policy setting like the egregious "tAx CuTs fOr ThE rIcH: iTs OnLy FaIr" bulldust. Someone has to pay eventually and the rich in the US have evolved more and more elaborate evasion and exceptions, and the middle class jobs have been exported to China and India. Its clear US citizens can not, or will not pay, so the rest of the world will, more and more nakedly.

Biden's regime looks very much a return to this business as usual. Forever wars muddle on? Check. Slow climate response? Check. Going back the well on stimulus measures that were once "verboten/use only in case of emergency" but seem to becoming the new normal? Check.

The criticism that the money pump is mostly siphoned to corporations and pork barrelling is extremely plausible, that's how business gets done in the US. The mix of beneficiaries changes slightly according to the colour of Congress or the Red/Blue House. The system didn't change much with Trump, he just added brainlet tweeting and ****-tier coup attempts to the mix.

I think Biden is getting by on being "not Trump" which is nice for our feelings. He's not changing what let Trump into power. Trump is being made to carry the can for a lot of sins of a broken system, like the goat for Azazel.

TL: DR I feel like the game has not been reset. The appeal to centrism and bipartisanship is, right now, a pause not a change in direction. There's more Trumps coming.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

binge for profit?

Covid is a piss poor excuse to shoot the economy in the head, and I am totally convinced the dems used it as a way to unseat Trump. You won't convince me otherwise, because even Biden disregarded his own mask order on day one.

Accepting everything you've said is true for the sake of argument, please explain how the Biden plan solves the problem. I watched Bush and Obama bail out Bank of America and other "too big to fail" corporations. Cash to citizen bailouts seem better to me, it's true, but any worker in a minimum wage job working full time earns $1,200.00 per month. We've been in lockdown for 12 months. The average American Joe has received $2,000.00 to date. Even another $2,000.00 is a joke. Where has the money gone? Where is the money to go? The Biden Buck Printing Machine go BBRRRRR package could give every American citizen almost $6k in direct payments. Why isn't it?
    Wait... Covid is a Democratic conspiracy?

Are all those dead Russians and Italians and Brazilians sacrificial lambs to Democrats plan to unseat Trump?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

And it's weaksauce.
    What?

Invest in grain and milk instead of your now useless legal office? Sorry, people need food more than your legal advice. That's a truth you're gonna have to deal with.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    Wait... Covid is a Democratic conspiracy?
    The neurotic and often contradictory response was. Do you have an alternate theory to propose? This is a world where Biden was the first person to violate his own mask mandate. The facts speak for themselves.

This is a world where Biden was the first person to violate his own mask mandate. The facts speak for themselves.
    "To err is human; to forgive, divine"

I have gone out without a mask a couple of times during the mandated mask period. I simply forgot to pack a mask. It was awkward and embarrassing. Thankfully I didn't have a media scrum following me ready to pounce on my moment of forgetfulness in order to use it to discredit my entire work plan. Unless you're suggesting that Biden either deliberately went mask free to publicly undermine his own order?

Either way, I fail to see how that would be a self speaking fact that proves a Covid conspiracy. This victim stuff is hilarious.

As for the money printer? That's literally what it is. It's always printing money. I'm not entirely sure what you're worried about here. Is it inflation? or is it that the decision to support people wouldn't be necessary if it weren't for lockdowns? Which is also rubbish, as businesses are just as screwed when their staff and customers don't show up for work because of Covid. Hit me with some more sarcasm Pontifex.

I have gone out without a mask a couple of times during the mandated mask period. I simply forgot to pack a mask. It was awkward and embarrassing. Thankfully I didn't have a media scrum following me ready to pounce on my moment of forgetfulness in order to use it to discredit my entire work plan. Unless you're suggesting that Biden either deliberately went mask free to publicly undermine his own order?

Either way, I fail to see how that would be a self speaking fact that proves a Covid conspiracy. This victim stuff is hilarious.
    Errare humanum indeed. I would be more convinced if this wasn't such a prevalent issue among democrats who seem either incapable or unwilling to follow their own rules. I am astounded by your gall and privilege. I have literally driven home from arriving at a grocery store without a mask because I know I would be asked to leave and therefore be unable to buy food unless I wore a mask. I agree, you should feel awkward and embarrassed. You didn't even go home to get a mask, you decided to risk other peoples' lives by just not wearing a mask. You probably killed my gran. What do you have to say for yourself? I will forgive you for your grievous oversight which killed my gran. The question is, can you forgive yourself?

As for the money printer? That's literally what it is. It's always printing money. I'm not entirely sure what you're worried about here. Is it inflation? or is it that the decision to support people wouldn't be necessary if it weren't for lockdowns? Which is also rubbish, as businesses are just as screwed when their staff and customers don't show up for work because of Covid. Hit me with some more sarcasm Pontifex.
    BRRRRRRRR

Actually... I did go home to get a mask without going into the store. And when I got home I was so mad with myself for forgetting that I sat down with a beer and played Bannerlord until my character got one hit by a peasant with a fork.

After which I picked up my mask, went to the store and passive aggressively filled a trolley. Joke was on me. The trolley had a wonky wheel and everyone stared at me.

As a side note, my milk was the same price as it was a year ago when they started printing Covid play money.

*Shrug*

GOOD. I damn well hope you learned your milky lesson. If not, I'd label you as a ScIeNcE DeNiEr.

GOOD. I damn well hope you learned your milky lesson. If not, I'd label you as a ScIeNcE DeNiEr.
    Point being, that surely if printing money that much of a problem, my milk should cost me a bazillon rubles by now. Unless our global lizard overlords have decided to pretend inflation doesn't work any more. Either that or the rule makers have all winked at each other about this money printing thing and I'm going to be hit in the head in another year.

I know. Sorry, it was a long winded way of getting to the point.

I am personally assured by your arguments that trillions of dollars in cash handouts over the past year will not contribute to inflation. You've convinced me by your totally logical arguments.

I am personally assured by your arguments that trillions of dollars in cash handouts over the past year will not contribute to inflation. You've convinced me by your totally logical arguments.
    Damn. That was easy. I thought it was one of the most long winded and flimsiest arguments for quantitative easing I've ever seen.

I didn't even get to talk about how I listen to a lot of country music. That was the trump (lower case t) card.

yeah me stupid, inflation not a thing.

There is a difference between a private person forgetting to wear a mask and the president disregarding his own executive mask order on the day that he signed it. This isn't to say that an eighty-year old man's absent-mindedness is crime of the century, but it is emblematic of the often flagrant hypocrisy and selective standards surrounding COVID-19 guidelines.

My favourite example from this week:

The New York Times admonishes Superbowl fans, ignores Biden celebrations.