Page 1 of 112 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: President Biden's first term in office

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default President Biden's first term in office

NOTE: The title has changed to first year in office to better reflect the discussions taking place here

Yesterday, Joe Biden has been sworn president of the USA, that seem less united than any time in my memory. Biden started off his presidency with a speech calling for unity and I expect he will try to address this issue.

President Biden has presented his agenda for his first days in office, which includes opening the path to citizenship for millions of illegal immigrants (with good and bad things), trying to tackle CoVID 19, the rollout of the vaccine and trying to help with the economic fallout of the pandemic. He has signaled he wants to rejoin the Paris Agreement and takes climate change seriously and took steps towards those issues. He also took a progressive stance towards LGBT issues and signed executive order to expand protections for this group.

The first day in office, Biden signed 17 executive orders to deal with these issues or undo orders of President Trump when it comes to regulations etc.

It is customary that new governments push much of their agenda in the first 100 days and then spend the rest of their time in office trying to smooth those changes in and try to deal with problems as they arise. I.e. the first 100 days are the most "productive" of a new administration.
    What do you expect from Biden's crucial 100 first days?
    What do you think of the actions he took upon taking office? Are they symbolic or crucial? Are they good?

While I like Biden's efforts to bring unity, and I think he's honestly trying (and since he was a senator for decades he has contacts), I am appalled by some of his progressive moves.
    Opening the path to immigration is not that bad but putting it in the first day of flurry + the "Please don't come, you won't be admitted immediately" approach of his administration towards the Honduran caravans is bound to create headaches for him when it comes to immigration and opens him up for broadsides from conservatives. The new administration is more than clear that they are much friendlier towards illegal immigrants than the previous administration. And the path to citizenship in 8 years sounds a bit like a votegrab for those that will be granted citizenship.

And then, we have Biden's symbolic but ridiculous moves when it comes to gender pronouns.
    Sure, that will be useful to the 0.2% of people that do that, the 3% of ultraprogressives that demand we all change for the benefit of that 0.2% and piss off 20%-25% of conservatives. Not good for unity and I think a mostly symbolic gesture to placate the ultraprogressive wing of his party.

I expect Biden's 100 first days will be a bit banal compared to Trump's or even Obama's 100 first days but still interesting. I expect he will have to fight for unity between the moderate and progressive wings of his own party and he will make some attempts towards the moderate-and-centrist part of the Republicans. You know, the adults in the GOP that are aware that Biden won the election.
    And I expect him to fail to placate everyone.

Whether he will be someone nobody really likes but most can live with or whether he will simply make everyone angry as he tries to juggle the various factions is yet to be seen. I am not too optimistic nor too pessimistic. I expect Biden to get a solid B- when it comes to unity. And a B when it comes to his first 100 days.

EDIT: A good article on how the world has changed through Biden's life and where things stood at the beginning of his presidency.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/78-oldest...125520530.html
    Last edited by alhoon; July 16, 2021 at 01:49 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

Posting this mostly for me,

Hello future me, gas is $2.17 per gallon right now. How angry are you?

Troops in Iraq: 2,500

Troops in Afghanistan: 2,500
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; January 21, 2021 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post

No Syria?
    "People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

In Soviet Russia you want Uncle Sam.

Lamo, nailed it. Prices doubled, to say nothing of rampant inflation across the consumer board. But hey, at least no mean tweets right? The average American need look no further with the goal of making his life immediately than electing a democrat. Of course the recent news cycle has proven beyond a reasonable doubt the demoncrap machine stole the election via a widespread and concerted effort at election fraud, to the point that reasonable efforts to curtail future fraud by the onerous addition of proving the last four digits of your SSN is decried as REEEEEEECIST. Because, you know, according to demoncraps any sort of ID requirement to vote is REEESICST, through no other explanation other than non-whites are too stupid to know how to verify their identity through means which have absolutely zero financial requirements. There's absolutely no question at all that Trump carried GA, PA and MI. Biden is a fraudulent president, but the aristocracy and lame stream media and their cohorts of brainwashed rabble will more than likely be enough to block the results of the election. The USA is a banana republic thanks to the coastal liberal elite and their unwitting brainwashed lackeys.

Lamo, nailed it. Prices doubled, to say nothing of rampant inflation across the consumer board. But hey, at least no mean tweets right? The average American need look no further with the goal of making his life immediately than electing a democrat. Of course the recent news cycle has proven beyond a reasonable doubt the demoncrap machine stole the election via a widespread and concerted effort at election fraud, to the point that reasonable efforts to curtail future fraud by the onerous addition of proving the last four digits of your SSN is decried as REEEEEEECIST. Because, you know, according to demoncraps any sort of ID requirement to vote is REEESICST, through no other explanation other than non-whites are too stupid to know how to verify their identity through means which have absolutely zero financial requirements. There's absolutely no question at all that Trump carried GA, PA and MI. Biden is a fraudulent president, but the aristocracy and lame stream media and their cohorts of brainwashed rabble will more than likely be enough to block the results of the election. The USA is a banana republic thanks to the coastal liberal elite and their unwitting brainwashed lackeys.
    I see you removed the later part of the post:

You have to admit that at least so far, Biden is not as bad as you predicted. Can't say the same about the democrat circus (not all the democrats, just the circus) but Biden at least is not a disaster.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Lamo, nailed it. Prices doubled, to say nothing of rampant inflation across the consumer board. But hey, at least no mean tweets right? The average American need look no further with the goal of making his life immediately than electing a democrat. Of course the recent news cycle has proven beyond a reasonable doubt the demoncrap machine stole the election via a widespread and concerted effort at election fraud, to the point that reasonable efforts to curtail future fraud by the onerous addition of proving the last four digits of your SSN is decried as REEEEEEECIST. Because, you know, according to demoncraps any sort of ID requirement to vote is REEESICST,

Inane childish ramblings aside, nobody has ever provided a good explanation as to why making it harder to practice the right to bear arms is bad, but making it harder to practice the right to vote is good. Conon has already dunked on your screeching about inflation.

through no other explanation other than non-whites are too stupid to know how to verify their identity through means which have absolutely zero financial requirements.
    Projection, thy name is Pontifex Maximus

There's absolutely no question at all that Trump carried GA, PA and MI. Biden is a fraudulent president, but the aristocracy and lame stream media and their cohorts of brainwashed rabble will more than likely be enough to block the results of the election. The USA is a banana republic thanks to the coastal liberal elite and their unwitting brainwashed lackeys.
    If you have evidence that Trump and his legal team haven't been able to provide, I'm sure they'd love to hear from you. All this screeching about Coastal Elites™, yet the guy you're simping for is a cushy billionaire trust fund baby from NYC.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/here-come...171816915.html

That was a prophetic, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Was I equally as prophetic when I said Republicans would try to crash the economy long before they spent millions putting their Canadian trucker pawns in place to disrupt trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    Was I equally as prophetic when I said Republicans would try to crash the economy long before they spent millions putting their Canadian trucker pawns in place to disrupt trade?
    Considering that the Republicans have not tried to crash the economy and that the Canadians are not their pawns, I would say "no".

Livid, but vindicated.

What is the gas price now?

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

What is the gas price now?
    Pretty damn good if can get E85 too bad its not a easy choice for most vehicals.
    Last edited by conon394; December 02, 2022 at 09:58 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Why is he creepy? He not banging interns.
    Perhaps, I'm not so certain. But things I find creepy if they happened to my family:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nt/3319322002/
    In an article published Friday under the headline, "An Awkward Kiss Changed How I Saw Joe Biden," Flores recounted how Biden allegedly grabbed her shoulders from behind and kissed her head backstage during a rally in Las Vegas before the 2014 election.
    https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...zzm-story.html
    "It wasn't sexual, but he did grab me by the head," Amy Lappos told The Courant Monday. "He put his hand around my neck and pulled me in to rub noses with me. When he was pulling me in, I thought he was going to kiss me on the mouth."
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...en-unwanted-t/
    Ms. Caruso told The Times that Mr. Biden, the undeclared front-runner for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination, put his hand on her thigh, despite her squirming back at him.At the encounter three years ago at an event on sexual assault at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, Mr. Biden also hugged Ms. Caruso “just a little bit too long,” she said.
    There are a few others which like the ones above, but I'll just go with this last one for women:
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/tara-r...ical-firestorm

She continued: “His hands were on me and underneath my clothes, and he went down my skirt and then up inside it and he penetrated me with his fingers and he was kissing me at the same time and he was saying some things to me.”Reade claimed Biden first asked if she wanted “to go somewhere else.”
    “I pulled away, he got finished doing what he was doing,” Reade said. “He said: ‘Come on, man. I heard you liked me.’”
    What I liked about this article as opposed to Pravda, they actually present the evidence. They have the mothers call, the friends, and the ex-husbands statement. It also went into where is the "#METOO" movement, considering the evidence she had compared to Christine Ford. At the beginning of this I would here why would Ford lie (hint ask her lawyer).
    Then there is this, where I call him CREEPY JOE:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H5NJZMDumY
    Some I could see overlooking, but others like the girl in the red dress stands out (2:02). (2:36) is another that is a creepy standout.

So yes CREEPY JOE!

Tfw Biden hires a cross-dresser with a fetish for stealing women’s clothing and canine sexual role play for a job requiring high security clearance, and he proceeds to get arrested and charged with a felony two separate times, while still keeping his job. Peak clown world.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...uitcase-theft/
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

That too... I expect Biden will be bad for the economy.

On the other hand, thanks to Biden taking the environment much more seriously, the future you will earn a few more years of relative prosperity as the massive damage from the failing environment is slowed down.
    Sure, your future you will be paying somewhat more to go to work with his car in the next few years.
    Your future you will be able to afford a car for a bit longer.
    Your future you will have dollars in his pocket for a bit longer.
    Your future you will have a future you for a bit longer.
    Last edited by alhoon; January 21, 2021 at 04:00 PM.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Yesterday, Joe Biden has been sworn president of the USA, that seem less united than any time in my memory. Biden started off his presidency with a speech calling for unity and I expect he will try to address this issue.

President Biden has presented his agenda for his first days in office, which includes opening the path to citizenship for millions of illegal immigrants (with good and bad things), trying to tackle CoVID 19, the rollout of the vaccine and trying to help with the economic fallout of the pandemic. He has signaled he wants to rejoin the Paris Agreement and takes climate change seriously and took steps towards those issues. He also took a progressive stance towards LGBT issues and signed executive order to expand protections for this group.

The first day in office, Biden signed 17 executive orders to deal with these issues or undo orders of President Trump when it comes to regulations etc.

It is customary that new governments push much of their agenda in the first 100 days and then spend the rest of their time in office trying to smooth those changes in and try to deal with problems as they arise. I.e. the first 100 days are the most "productive" of a new administration.
    What do you expect from Biden's crucial 100 first days?
    What do you think of the actions he took upon taking office? Are they symbolic or crucial? Are they good?

While I like Biden's efforts to bring unity, and I think he's honestly trying (and since he was a senator for decades he has contacts), I am appalled by some of his progressive moves.
    Opening the path to immigration is not that bad but putting it in the first day of flurry + the "Please don't come, you won't be admitted immediately" approach of his administration towards the Honduran caravans is bound to create headaches for him when it comes to immigration and opens him up for broadsides from conservatives. The new administration is more than clear that they are much friendlier towards illegal immigrants than the previous administration. And the path to citizenship in 8 years sounds a bit like a votegrab for those that will be granted citizenship.

And then, we have Biden's symbolic but ridiculous moves when it comes to gender pronouns.
    Sure, that will be useful to the 0.2% of people that do that, the 3% of ultraprogressives that demand we all change for the benefit of that 0.2% and piss off 20%-25% of conservatives. Not good for unity and I think a mostly symbolic gesture to placate the ultraprogressive wing of his party.

I expect Biden's 100 first days will be a bit banal compared to Trump's or even Obama's 100 first days but still interesting. I expect he will have to fight for unity between the moderate and progressive wings of his own party and he will make some attempts towards the moderate-and-centrist part of the Republicans. You know, the adults in the GOP that are aware that Biden won the election.
    And I expect him to fail to placate everyone.

Whether he will be someone nobody really likes but most can live with or whether he will simply make everyone angry as he tries to juggle the various factions is yet to be seen. I am not too optimistic nor too pessimistic. I expect Biden to get a solid B- when it comes to unity. And a B when it comes to his first 100 days.
    Explain to me what exactly is the Paris Climate accord going to do about all that plastic and other Chinese industrial waste products flowing into the Pacific Ocean...never mind, I'll answer for you: Nothing. Nothing at all.

What about all those troop in Venezuela?...oh, wait, that's yet to come.

That too... I expect Biden will be bad for the economy.

On the other hand, thanks to Biden taking the environment much more seriously, the future you will earn a few more years of relative prosperity as the massive damage from the failing environment is slowed down.
    Sure, your future you will be paying somewhat more to go to work with his car in the next few years.
    Your future you will be able to afford a car for a bit longer.
    Your future you will have dollars in his pocket for a bit longer.
    Your future you will have a future you for a bit longer.
    What you mean is you'll have to keep that clunker for a long time because you won't be able to afford a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    What about all those troop in Venezuela?...oh, wait, that's yet to come.
    oh , what do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    Explain to me what exactly is the Paris Climate accord going to do about all that plastic and other Chinese industrial waste products flowing into the Pacific Ocean...never mind, I'll answer for you: Nothing. Nothing at all.
    I never said the Paris Agreement was perfect. For starters it has no teeth. If China doesn't reduce waste and emissions... nothing happens. No penalties. We just give China an F and things keep going.

Are those the actual troop numbers in Afghanistan and Iraq right now? Seems to round (and low) to be correct. But that is also something I want to track. Can we find stats for number of drone strikes in the last 100 days?

"Imposing these sanctions on Inauguration Day is seemingly an attempt to play to partisan divides," Biden's National Security Council spokeswoman Emily Horne said in a statement to Reuters.

"Americans of both parties should criticize this unproductive and cynical move. President Biden looks forward to working with leaders in both parties to position America to out-compete China," Horne said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN29Q09B
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII