Page 9 of 143 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: President Biden's first term in office

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    My source is driving by the gas station this morning. The cause is probably Biden shutting down the pipeline (cuck Justin Trudeau on suicide watch) and the deep freeze in the south. Either was, I get to blame everything on Sleepy Joe now so I will. I love how life becomes measurably worse when democrats are in power, yet somehow people still vote for them. At least Sleepy Joe emerged from his basement long enough last week to assure me that 50k in student loan forgiveness is absolutely off the table.

You really do get what you ing deserve with these people.
    Really you know perfectly well why prices are up interruptions in Texas/Gulf regional production and delivery.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Gas prices going up has to do with the pandemic winding down and OPEC continuing to cut their output so gas prices rises. The world is absolutely overflowed with oil. Supply is not a problem at all.

The real question is can OPEC+ continue cutting their output. If not, gas prices will drop again.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Really you know perfectly well why prices are up interruptions in Texas/Gulf regional production and delivery.
    He's angry because the Texas situation exposed conservatism's massive flaws. Turns out it’s not wise to put people who hate government, and refuse to govern, in charge of government. They make horribly bad decisions, or they refuse to make any at all.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Intelligence report will single out Saudi crown prince for ...
    A U.S. intelligence report expected to be released on Thursday will place blame for the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi on Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, according to Reuters.
    The report, led by the CIA, will lay out how the crown prince approved and likely ordered the murder of Khashoggi, four people familiar with its contents told the news service.
    Officials believe Saudi operatives likely dismembered Khashoggi's remains, which have never been found. The report is part of President Biden's push to reassert the U.S. when it comes to relations with Saudi Arabia.
    In practical terms, what will be the political consequences?
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post

In practical terms, what will be the political consequences?
    Given the geopolitical outlooks of Biden's foreign policy team members, save for Robert Malley, I can't imagine any. At least nothing tangible.

Perhaps some symbolic sanctions can be placed upon MBS that wouldn't be particularly damaging. He might feel that he needs the US more than the other way around, therefore he might agree to it outside the public eye.
    Last edited by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σω February 25, 2021 at 04:04 PM. Reason: addition
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Civitate

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...yria-officials

The election of Biden will not change current US policy towards Iran. As long as the acts of escalation continue from both sides nothing will change including renewing the Iran real.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

The election of Biden will not change anything. Biden seems set to continue all of Trump's policies
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Well, Biden did say that nothing will fundamentally change. He kept his promise so far - airstrike on Syria and no minimal wage increase. More Obamaesque policies to come...
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Also what is the legal authority for strikes? Assad is a brutal dictator. But Syria is a sovereign country.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Also what is the legal authority for strikes? Assad is a brutal dictator. But Syria is a sovereign country.
    The same legal authority Trump had to strike Syrian forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Which was what?

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Which was what?
    The UN charter. Article 51 regarding self-defense. At least in Biden's case. In Trump's case his strikes were not in self-defense so his legal authority for strikes is spotty. Guess you could just get around this issue by not recognizing Syria's sovereignty.
    Last edited by Vanoi; February 26, 2021 at 03:31 PM.

The UN charter. Article 51 regarding self-defense.
    Infidel144 was quoting Biden's press secretary, Jennifer Psaki from 2017.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Infidel144 was quoting Biden's press secretary, Jennifer Psaki from 2017.
    Well that makes sense as he didn't seem to have a point. Wouldn't compare Trump's 2017 strikes to the strikes Biden issued recently.
    Last edited by Vanoi; February 26, 2021 at 03:38 PM.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ View Post
    Well, Biden did say that nothing will fundamentally change. He kept his promise so far - airstrike on Syria and no minimal wage increase. More Obamaesque policies to come...
    Umm you do realize the US did not pass a constitution amendment to implement a parliamentary democracy - right? You do know that right. With a 50+1 razor thin senate majority in the senate and 2 weak conservative dems... With reconciliation and what you can do with dependent on senate rules decisions what f- to expect? Also what a month or so into a 4 year term and failed on minimum wage?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Well that makes sense as he didn't seem to have a point. Wouldn't compare Trump's 2017 strikes to the strikes Biden issued recently.
    You claimed that the strike ordered by Biden was predicated on the same legal rationale as the strikes ordered by Trump (i.e. compared the two):

The legal justification for the attack against the Shayrat airbase (2017) and the chemical weapons facilities (2018) were not the same as the rationale used by the Biden administration for Thursday's airstrike.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    You claimed that the strike ordered by Biden was predicated on the same legal rationale as the strikes ordered by Trump (i.e. compared the two):
    Technically yes it just depends on which strike you are referring to. 2017 strikes? No. 2018 strikes? Yes.

The legal justification for the attack against the Shayrat airbase (2017) and the chemical weapons facilities (2018) were not the same as the rationale used by the Biden administration for Thursday's airstrike.
    Are they the only strikes Trump's administration conducted in Syria?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khasham

The number of strikes the US ordered in Syria against Syrian and/or Iranian forces is much more than just the two you named and the one I linked.

Before we continue do you actually have a point to any of this? Or are you just correcting me?
    Last edited by Vanoi; February 26, 2021 at 06:28 PM.

My point is that your statements are contradictory. You initially claimed that the strike ordered by Biden was predicated on the same legal rationale used by the Trump administration:

When pressed on what this rationale was, you referred to “Article 51 regarding self-defence”:

The UN charter. Article 51 regarding self-defense.
    Then immediately contradicted this point by stating that the strikes ordered by Trump “were not in self-defence”:

At least in Biden's case. In Trump's case his strikes were not in self-defense so his legal authority for strikes is spotty. Guess you could just get around this issue by not recognizing Syria's sovereignty.
    Now you raise an instance in which the Trump administration authorized a strike which was predicated on self-defence (supposing one accepts that a de-facto occupying force can act in self-defence):

Technically yes it just depends on which strike you are referring to. 2017 strikes? No. 2018 strikes? Yes.

Are they the only strikes Trump's administration conducted in Syria?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khasham

The number of strikes the US ordered in Syria against Syrian and/or Iranian forces is much more than just the two you named and the one I linked.

Before we continue do you actually have a point to any of this? Or are you just correcting me?
    Last edited by Cope; February 26, 2021 at 10:52 PM.

So i hear Biden as bombed Syria before covid relief checks. Its good to know we get our priorities straight. How progressive President Biden, and the Democratic majority of congress.

It is lovely to see CNN and such cheering this on as the way to go. And progressive twitter? couldn't be much happier. America is back baby.

I've just noticed...is the thread's title a pun on Biden's mental capabilities or grammatical mistake?