Thread: President Biden's first term in office

Default Re: President Biden's first term in office

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    Fixed.

Democrats need to pick a narrative on this. Either Biden and Obama brutally trafficked kids, forcing unprepared states to expend scarce resources to care for them, or the move totally backfired because charities stepped up to help. Either way, time for Democrats to start shouldering the burden of their irresponsible immigration/border policies, especially since sanctuary area leadership has bragged for years about their willingness to defy immigration law to shelter illegals.
    Look, frame-flipping may work on Russians and MAGAs, but you're wasting your time trying to tell me that up is down and left is right. The truth is that, right now, it is the Republicans who are kidnapping and trafficking people in a fashion no different from the Russian Orcs in Ukraine.

Is that really something you approve of? It's an inch away from calling for a final solution to the Hispanic question-which I fully expect your party to within the next few years.

Meanwhile, back on Earth, Latino voters may prove key to helping Republicans flip the House.

A large and diverse group of Latino candidates will be representing the Republican Party on the November ballot this year — forming a key piece of the party’s push to win more Latino voters.

House Republicans could be on track to increase their number of Latino members in 2023 by 50 percent — or more — after concerted recruitment efforts and a slew of summer primary wins by Hispanic and Latino candidates from Oregon to Texas to Virginia.

Now, the party has landed Hispanic nominees in more than a half dozen battleground districts — and another three are well positioned to win their primaries over the next month.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...dates-00049736
    67% of Americans disapprove of Biden’s handling of immigration and border security, and half say he is not acting aggressively enough to deport illegal immigrants.

https://poll.qu.edu/images/polling/u...021_usbw78.pdf
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Blue state leaders who were happy to brag about being sanctuaries for illegal immigrants, writing off border state concerns as racist and xenophobic, are now panicking when a teeny tiny fraction of those immigrants actually show up. Systems “near the breaking point,” calling in the national guard to round up immigrants and bus them out of Obama’s neighborhood, seething about how unprepared they are to deal with this “unprecedented influx” of refugees…. I applaud governors who are finally exposing the utter fraud that is Democrat immigration policy.
    I think Massachusetts is already home to tens of thousands of asylum seekers and over a million other immigrants. I doubt the state as a whole is struggling to accept 50 more, but if Martha's Vineyard is, that's probably because it's a small rural island inaccessible by land with an almost completely seasonal economy and hardly any affordable year-round housing. Unlike Boston or the border states, it might not have the infrastructure to handle this kind of situation, especially since these immigrants were apparently dumped on their doorstep without any advance notice.

For what it's worth, people do seem to have stepped up to help:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/15/u...-migrants.html

[Nazareth] was surprised when he found himself on Martha’s Vineyard, a small, picturesque vacation destination in the Atlantic. “I thought I was coming to Boston,” he said. “I ended up on this little island.”

On Thursday, Mr. Nazareth expressed gratitude for the warm reception that he and his brethren had received in Martha’s Vineyard. “They’re treating us super well,” he said.

“We’re getting food, clothing, all our needs met. I love Massachusetts!”
    Last edited by Prodromos; September 17, 2022 at 08:54 AM.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I mean yes, Latino voters are not a monolith. A huge amount of them are conservative and vote Republican, especially Cubans in Florida. Whether that's due to them being right wing contrarians to some left wing Latin American governments or just plain old Catholic religious conservatives, many Latinos who move to the US do so not only out of economic opportunity but also because they see the US as a safely right-leaning bastion. So it is very strange when Republicans cheer when even refugees from *Venezuela* (the source of a million right-wing memes) are abused and used as pawns by Republican governors. How is that supposed to endear Latinos to the GOP?

That being said, despite general religious conservatism, Latinos in the US are split on the issue of Roe V. Wade being overturned, so that remains a wild card wedge issue that will only hurt the GOP in the midterms. We'll see.

People who cross the border illegally don’t provide advanced notice, unless caught, of course, overwhelming border communities by the thousands per day. No matter where they seem to go, from New York City to small towns like Martha’s Vineyard, a handful of illegals is evidently overwhelming for Democrats. That’s the point of these protest moves by Florida and Texas. Private charities also stepped up to help when Biden and Obama dispersed illegal immigrants all over the country, often without notifying or coordinating with local authorities. What were they protesting, I wonder?
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    So it is very strange when Republicans cheer when even refugees from *Venezuela* (the source of a million right-wing memes) are abused and used as pawns by Republican governors. How is that supposed to endear Latinos to the GOP?
    These abused guys will not vote though, so...
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

People who cross the border illegally don’t provide advanced notice, unless caught, of course, overwhelming border communities by the thousands per day. No matter where they seem to go, from New York City to small towns like Martha’s Vineyard, a handful of illegals is evidently overwhelming for Democrats. That’s the point of these protest moves by Florida and Texas. Private charities also stepped up to help when Biden and Obama dispersed illegal immigrants all over the country, often without notifying or coordinating with local authorities. What were they protesting, I wonder?
    I think there'd be less need to care for immigrants if they were allowed to care for themselves. Laws restricting their freedom of movement and ability to work while their cases move through the courts practically require them to rely on charity just to avoid becoming homeless and starving to death.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I mean yes, Latino voters are not a monolith. A huge amount of them are conservative and vote Republican, especially Cubans in Florida. Whether that's due to them being right wing contrarians to some left wing Latin American governments or just plain old Catholic religious conservatives, many Latinos who move to the US do so not only out of economic opportunity but also because they see the US as a safely right-leaning bastion. So it is very strange when Republicans cheer when even refugees from *Venezuela* (the source of a million right-wing memes) are abused and used as pawns by Republican governors. How is that supposed to endear Latinos to the GOP?
    Because white supremacy is the very bedrock of the Republican party. The average Republican voter is solely motivated by the desire to harm others. Besides, with gerrymandering and voter suppression they no longer need a majority to "win" elections.

The Biden administration should follow suit and start deporting one hundred Republican voters to Russia for every migrant trafficked by the right. If they can do so to people have not been convicted of any crime, why can't we?
    Last edited by Coughdrop addict; September 17, 2022 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    I think there'd be less need to care for immigrants if they were allowed to care for themselves. Laws restricting their freedom of movement and ability to work while their cases move through the courts practically require them to rely on charity just to avoid becoming homeless and starving to death.
    Maybe, provided it’s reciprocal between all hypothetical countries involved. Even then, we’d probably see the reverse of what Ross Perot described as a “giant sucking sound.” A North American Schengen Area would only accelerate the flood of migrants across the then open border. Most aren’t Mexican as it is - over a million of the even more migrants caught at the southern border last year alone. All the same problems would exist, but it would probably be worse than if the US just annexed these hypothetical countries and cleaned up the reasons people are fleeing them in the first place.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; September 17, 2022 at 03:17 PM.

It just goes to show what I've said, fascists generally lack theory of mind and are deeply insecure.

Republicans are cheering Desantis' human trafficking because in addition to their all-consuming need to inflict pain on the weak and helpless they were hoping to expose real Americans as hypocrites. They don't believe us when we say we care about people like immigrants, because they themselves cannot conceive of caring about others. Instead of revealing hypocrisy, they've only revealed their lack of human qualities.

In addition to that their constant lies about immigrants damaging the economy are ringing hollow. We know who the real burden on this country is and it isn't immigrants. Hard-working Democrats like myself all spend way more money subsidizing lazy fascists than any number of immigrants. That goes a long way to explain the right's hatred of immigrants besides skin color. They are very much aware that immigrants are generally more patriotic, harder-working, cleaner, less prone to violent crime, and contribute more to the country than any Republican. They really, really don't like it when a mirror is held up to them and they can see the sort of people they really are.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    It just goes to show what I've said, fascists generally lack theory of mind and are deeply insecure.

Republicans are cheering Desantis' human trafficking because in addition to their all-consuming need to inflict pain on the weak and helpless they were hoping to expose real Americans as hypocrites. They don't believe us when we say we care about people like immigrants, because they themselves cannot conceive of caring about others. Instead of revealing hypocrisy, they've only revealed their lack of human qualities.

In addition to that their constant lies about immigrants damaging the economy are ringing hollow. We know who the real burden on this country is and it isn't immigrants. Hard-working Democrats like myself all spend way more money subsidizing lazy fascists than any number of immigrants. That goes a long way to explain the right's hatred of immigrants besides skin color. They are very much aware that immigrants are generally more patriotic, harder-working, cleaner, less prone to violent crime, and contribute more to the country than any Republican. They really, really don't like it when a mirror is held up to them and they can see the sort of people they really are.
    You sound like you want to wall some people up and shoot them dead. What do you want? A one party system? There is no democratic country where there aren't quarrelers and defiant jerks. I think you should consider to learn to live with that. This is democracy, you have to deal with people b****ing and complaining!

Quote Originally Posted by swabian View Post
    You sound like you want to wall some people up and shoot them dead. What do you want? A one party system? There is no democratic country where there aren't quarrelers and defiant jerks. I think you should consider to learn to live with that. This is democracy, you have to deal with people b****ing and complaining!
    No, a democracy doesn't mean we have to support human traffickers and smirking criminals like these Republicans. They've made it perfectly clear they view Hispanic people as subhuman. Those cheering this on have much less right to call themselves Americans than the good immigrants coming to help our economy instead of mooching off others like the red states do the blue states.

https://thehill.com/opinion/immigrat...n-trafficking/

Despite the torrent of abuse that they heap on illegal immigrants, Republican governors realize their economies would suffer without them. The construction industry in Texas employs an estimated 305,000 undocumented workers who make up a quarter of the industry’s workforce.

U.S. businesses employed nearly 7 million undocumented workers in 2019. Agriculture and hospitality employed the most, industries upon which the economies of Arizona and Florida depend. Abbott, DeSantis and Ducey could solve this problem by prosecuting employers for hiring illegals, but don’t expect Republican governors to go after business owners any time soon.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

https://www.yahoo.com/news/senator-t...150508213.html

GOP senator Ted Cruz admitting that the act of picking up migrants/illegal immigrants to transport them across state lines to other states is very much illegal and the definition of human trafficking.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post

GOP senator Ted Cruz admitting that the act of picking up migrants/illegal immigrants to transport them across state lines to other states is very much illegal and the definition of human trafficking.
    Of course. He's well aware that laws do not apply to Republicans in our two-tiered justice system and that they can commit crimes with impunity. Their complete lack of morals (see supporting Trump) mean they see no problem with abusing these people if it suits them politically.

I hope every Hispanic citizen realizes that if Republicans win in Nov they will likely be next as the typical Republican voter demands that their leaders rid their states of Jews Uyghurs Ukrainians Hispanics.

Leftist cope and seethe over this has been unexpectedly swift. I suppose DeSantis is taking more heat than Abbott because he’s a potential presidential candidate. Gotta get the criminal accusations in BEFORE the Russians rig the election this time. Meanwhile, most Americans -including nearly half of Democrats - characterize what is happening at the southern border as an invasion. Just 19% disagree.

Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; September 18, 2022 at 08:52 PM.

As per the article, Cruz was discussing a hypothetical in which Sean Hannity, acting as a private citizen, personally transported undocumented migrants across America. He did not claim it was against the law for the state to relocate migrants.

Hannity went on to ask Cruz, who previously worked as a lawyer, about the legality of transporting migrants, posing a hypothetical scenario in which he personally drove a truck to the border and collected immigrants and transported them across the country.

Hannity said: "Would I or would I not likely be arrested for human trafficking, and would it be illegal to do that?"

"For you, a citizen, you could easily be arrested, although to be honest, Joe Biden's Justice Department wouldn't arrest you," Cruz said.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    As per the article, Cruz was discussing a hypothetical in which Sean Hannity, acting as a private citizen, personally transported undocumented migrants across America. He did not claim it was against the law for the state to relocate migrants.
    And how do the immigrants get to these cities Cope? People drive them. Likely American citizens. Unless it's government employees driving these immigrants to across state lines that would make these private citizens.

And how do the immigrants get to these cities Cope? People drive them. Likely American citizens. Unless it's government employees driving these immigrants to across state lines that would make these private citizens.
    The employees of firms contracted out by the state to perform a service are not acting as private persons; they are acting on behalf of the state pursuant to an agreement. This is why, for instance, it is legal for an authorized third party to manage a prison, but not for random individuals to incarcerate people in their homes.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    The employees of firms contracted out by the state to perform a service are not acting as private persons; they are acting on behalf of the state pursuant to an agreement.
    Being under contract does not allow you to actually break US law funny enough.

This is why, for instance, it is legal for an authorized third party to manage a prison, but not for random individuals to incarcerate people in their homes.
    Contracts don't determine under US law whenever you are allowed to imprison people or not or manage a prison That's makes no utter sense.

Not only that but kidnapping is state crime. (unless you go across state lines) Transporting illegal immigrants or migrants across state lines is a federal crime. State-contracts don't supercede Federal law.

An example being that every single marijuana shop in the US is utterly illegal under federal law. Yet they remain open. Why? Because as Cruz pointed out in that quote it's up to the discretion of the US Justice Department whenever to prosecute you or not. In this case they can choose to enforce US federal law on marijuana, but choose not to.

State contracts or not, the transportation of migrants or illegal immigrants across state lines is illegal under federal law.

Being under contract does not allow you to actually break US law funny enough.
    It has not been established that the law was broken. As per the article "the legality of governors transporting migrants is murky" - meaning that its legality (or lack thereof) likely depends on a wide variety of factors. Certainly, Cruz did not claim that the state relocating migrants was illegal.

Contracts don't determine under US law whenever you are allowed to imprison people or not or manage a prison That's makes no utter sense.
    Agreements with the state empower certain firm(s) to manage the detention of convicts. This is not a power available to private persons not subject to the agreement(s).

Not only that but kidnapping is state crime. (unless you go across state lines) Transporting illegal immigrants or migrants across state lines is a federal crime. State-contracts don't supercede Federal law.

An example being that every single marijuana shop in the US is utterly illegal under federal law. Yet they remain open. Why? Because as Cruz pointed out in that quote it's up to the discretion of the US Justice Department whenever to prosecute you or not. In this case they can choose to enforce US federal law on marijuana, but choose not to.

State contracts or not, the transportation of migrants or illegal immigrants across state lines is illegal under federal law.
    As above, it has not been established that the state transporting undocumented migrants across state lines "is illegal under federal law". If it is, the DOJ can start by investigating/prosecuting Democrats (including the WH).

El Paso Mayor buses migrants to NYC.
    Aircraft records reveal secret migrant flights across the US.