Page 4 of 143 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast

Thread: President Biden's first term in office

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

In reality, the proportion of the foreign born population in Russia is ~8.0%

They're not foreigners if you conquer them

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Biden 2020: Trump has no plan for the pandemic, elect me I have a plan

Biden 2021: There's nothing we can do to stop the trajectory of the virus

womp womp
    In reality:

Biden Team to Buy 200 Million More Doses, Speed Up Vaccinations

Maybe Biden should have simply thrown up his hands and declared he takes no responsibility like a certain disgraced con artist?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    From the Penn Biden Center, which is presumably a fair reflection of the President’s worldview:

https://global.upenn.edu/penn-biden-...ogue-globalism
    Pretty sure he's not in favour of open borders though. Coughdrop Addict is right that the that term is used just to raise the specter of deliberately unchecked immigration in countries that in reality have controlled immigration but face practical difficulties enforcing it.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Pretty sure he's not in favour of open borders though. Coughdrop Addict is right that the that term is used just to raise the specter of deliberately unchecked immigration in countries that in reality have controlled immigration but face practical difficulties enforcing it.
    I wonder why people are getting the impression that Biden is in favour of deliberately unchecked immigration.

Federal judge temporarily halts Biden’s deportation freeze in response to Texas AG Paxton’s lawsuit
    U.S. District Judge Drew Tipton grants 14-day temporary restraining order, pausing Biden administration’s moratorium.

In the order Tuesday, Tipton said Texas had a “substantial likelihood” of prevailing in two of its six claims, including the claim that the 100-day freeze on deportations violated a federal immigration law that says final deportation orders shall be executed within 90 days.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...xtons-lawsuit/

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Texas is gonna around and find out

My reply to nhytgbvfeco2, for the rest of the Forum, skip.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    Well, you said it about me, and I'm a Jew, ergo you've said it about a Jew. It's just a bit of a stretch to expect a Jew to be a holocaust denier, thus the comparison is not the most fitting. You could have gone for something benign, such as a flat earther. But of course you had to take it to the Nazi side of things.
    I think you're jumping the gun, I'm talking about anyone who adopts such a dismissive and overly critical of Biden (conversely, they are also the people who tend to faun and defend the 45th President). You being a Jew has nothing to do with it. Though I am surprised that a conservative member of the Forum would take the time to be so offended. I thought I was the snowflake.

Try reading what I wrote before replying, I've already addressed this in the quote. When recycling talking points try to leave a few posts in between to make it less obvious.
    I'm not sure how my previous post doesn't address yours. This was your original post below,

"My bad, 15.
    Obviously another treaty CAN be signed at the end of that time frame, but why would it? It took years of sanctions for Iran to come to the point where they agreed even to this deal, why would they agree to a more strict deal after their economy recovers and they dominate more neighbouring countries to help them circumvent future sanctions?
    We'd be in about the same position at the end of the deal as we are now, difference being that Iran's economy would have been in a stronger position and their influence in the region would have been greater. The sooner the deal ended the better."

To summarize your point, you posit that since it took years to achieve the JCPOA, it would take years to make another deal. All the while Iran continues to grow its economy and "dominate" neighboring (I'm not so sure that Pakistan, Afghanistan, Oman, or even Iraq for the matter, would agree with your assessment) countries. Well, my point was, that none of the necessitates tearing up the JCPOA, negotiating a better deal while preparing to take punitive measures. Ratcheting up pressure in other ways while maintaining the JCPOA, or even re-negotiating the JCPOA in the same aggressive way that Trump tore the deal up. So to go back to present day,

No, my post was not off-topic and you didn't address my criticism. Again, there was no situation that required Trump to withdraw from the JCPOA, and there is not a whole lot preventing President Trump from pursuing the goals of the "Maximum Pressure" campaign in other ways. Though it is likely, considering the terrible relationship between Trump and our European allies, as well as his, rather terrible negotiating abilities, that withdrawing from the JCPOA and unilateral executive action was really the only tool that would be effective for him (Trump) specifically. But that again goes back to Trump's personal failures rather than an absence of other policy options to pursue the same goals.

Iran throughout the period the JCPOA was active continued to violate UN resolutions and test ballistic missiles, and none of the US's partners cared. Heck, when Republicans introduced a resolution to deal with this Blinken wrote an op-ed voicing opposition to it, Wendy Sherman later also voiced opposition. The vote passed the senate 98-2. Iran also violated the treaty by supplying the Houthis with ballistic missiles, as found by the UN. The Europeans did not wish to impose any measures in response to violations. The US tried to change the deal, the Europeans wouldn't have it, and thus it was terminated.
    Does the JCPOA have a clause about ballistic missiles, UN Resolutions, and did Iran break the treaty at any point?

[/B]Yes, the Houthis.
    Let's put those numbers into some perspective: As of March 2020 the estimate for the conflict was 233,000 killed, out of them 12,600 civilians, or 5.4%. A quarter of that is 1.35%, or 3150. But I suppose that saying that 1.35% of those killed in Yemen were women and children doesn't sound quite as impressive.
    You still however have not explained why this is reason to cut off arms sales to the Saudis.
    So to be clear, you think the situation in Yemen is largely acceptable and that we should continue to sell arms to them?

That's.. interesting logic, to put it nicely. Should we apply this to North Korea maybe?
    Certainly. So long as we prohibit goods coming from slave or penal labor. And I'm happy to extend that ban worldwide and to the interior of America.

Irans influence has actually been in decline in Syria as their inability to provide sufficient support ended with a Russian intervention that in turn caused a decline of Iran's, meanwhile their Lebanese Henchmen took substantial losses in the process.
    Lack of funding is a factor, you can look at Iran's declining influence in Gaza to see that as they are unable to fund their puppets. Giving Iran pallets of cash and lifting all international pressure gives them much more to work with. Thanks, Obama.
    I disagree, and so do many analysts who monitor the situation. And the reason why Iran split with Hamas is likely because Hamas pulled closer to Saudi Arabia.

Iran wasn't isolated due to the weakness of the Europeans and their unwillingness to act, from their perspective there was already a deal that kicked the ball further down the line so why bother. This is why the bad deal was worse than no deal. Thanks, Obama.
    So Europeans were unwilling to cooperate with a POTUS who was acting largely unilaterally and tear up a deal that took years to negotiate between all parties? If it was such a "bad deal", it seems odd that almost everyone wanted to keep it. The Russians, the Chinese, the Europeans, even the Iranians despite clear limitations to their nuclear program. How odd.

Plenty of things that were once popular are no longer so.
    Okay? That's a total departure from the original point of discussion, as to whether a successor the current regime in Iran would be friendly to Israel and/or United States.

Spoiler: As of 2021, unlikely.

Now then, as for Biden's actions since the weekend.

January 25th , 2021.

Biden's EOs.

1. Biden reverses Trump's decision to ban transgenders from joining the military.
    2. Covid-19 travel restrictions on individuals traveling to the United States from Schengen Area, UK, Ireland, Brazil and South Africa.
    3. Strengthen Buy American rules.

Biden Cabinet Confirmations:

Janet Yellen is confirmed as the Secretary of the Treasury, becoming the first woman to lead the department. She was formerly the Chair of the Federal Reserve, as well as on the Council of Economic Advisors for Bill Clinton.

Other News:

There will now be regular COVID-19 briefings, three times a week to provide Americans with key updates. The Buy American EO will have a dedicated White House official to oversee this policy. Also, I think that an ASL interpreter being present for every White House press briefing was announced today, but I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on that.

January 26th, 2021.

Biden's EOs.

1. Department of Justice contracts with private prisons will not be renewed.
    2. A review of the Fair Housing Act and how the Department of Housing and Urban Development approaches it.
    3. A commitment to engage in meaningful diplomacy with Tribal governments.

Anthony Blinken is confirmed as the Secretary of State.

Other News: Susan Rice was in the Press Briefing room today, answering questions regarding the agenda of Biden's administration in regards to racial justice.

Today, January 27th, 2021.

Biden's EOs.

1. Climate Change is fundamental element of US foreign policy.
    2. Establishes President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology.
    3. Charges the director of the Office of Science and Technology with ensuring scientific integrity across the government.

Biden's Confirmations:

I believe Pete Buttigieg, the nominee for Secretary for Transportation, got out of committee today.

Other News:

We are stopping the sale of F-35s to UAE and pausing arms sales to Saudi Arabia.

I will try to be more active and give an update every day, as the unofficial Biden Simp. Work has been busy, so I don't know how consistent I will be, but I have been watching every single press briefing and I was very excited to see Secretary Kerry today.
    Last edited by Love Mountain; January 28, 2021 at 12:11 AM.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    I think you're jumping the gun, I'm talking about anyone who adopts such a dismissive and overly critical of Biden (conversely, they are also the people who tend to faun and defend the 45th President). You being a Jew has nothing to do with it. Though I am surprised that a conservative member of the Forum would take the time to be so offended. I thought I was the snowflake.
    I'm not offended, merely pointed out your poor choice of words.

I'm not sure how my previous post doesn't address yours. This was your original post below,

"My bad, 15.
    Obviously another treaty CAN be signed at the end of that time frame, but why would it? It took years of sanctions for Iran to come to the point where they agreed even to this deal, why would they agree to a more strict deal after their economy recovers and they dominate more neighbouring countries to help them circumvent future sanctions?
    We'd be in about the same position at the end of the deal as we are now, difference being that Iran's economy would have been in a stronger position and their influence in the region would have been greater. The sooner the deal ended the better."

To summarize your point, you posit that since it took years to achieve the JCPOA, it would take years to make another deal. All the while Iran continues to grow its economy and "dominate" neighboring (I'm not so sure that Pakistan, Afghanistan, Oman, or even Iraq for the matter, would agree with your assessment) countries. Well, my point was, that none of the necessitates tearing up the JCPOA, negotiating a better deal while preparing to take punitive measures. Ratcheting up pressure in other ways while maintaining the JCPOA, or even re-negotiating the JCPOA in the same aggressive way that Trump tore the deal up. So to go back to present day,

No, my post was not off-topic and you didn't address my criticism. Again, there was no situation that required Trump to withdraw from the JCPOA, and there is not a whole lot preventing President Trump from pursuing the goals of the "Maximum Pressure" campaign in other ways. Though it is likely, considering the terrible relationship between Trump and our European allies, as well as his, rather terrible negotiating abilities, that withdrawing from the JCPOA and unilateral executive action was really the only tool that would be effective for him (Trump) specifically. But that again goes back to Trump's personal failures rather than an absence of other policy options to pursue the same goals.
    I suppose that you're not aware of the fact that Trump did attempt to amend JCPOA for two years before withdrawing from it. Two years during which the Iranians continued to violate the ballistic missiles clause. The Iranians, unsurprisingly, but also the Europeans were against amending it. And why would Iran accept? What do they have to gain? They've already achieved what they wanted.

Does the JCPOA have a clause about ballistic missiles, UN Resolutions, and did Iran break the treaty at any point?
    Not as part of JCPOA directly, but the UNSC resolution that put the treaty into effect, resolution 2231, puts restrictions on Iran's ballistic missiles program. Iran openly and blatantly violated this resolution, which was also supported by Russia, China, France, the UK, the US...

So to be clear, you think the situation in Yemen is largely acceptable and that we should continue to sell arms to them?
    It could of course be much better, but the famine won't go away because you stop selling the Saudi's weapons. Like most things in politics: If you don't, someone else, worse, will.

Certainly. So long as we prohibit goods coming from slave or penal labor. And I'm happy to extend that ban worldwide and to the interior of America.
    So they should be rewarded for being a pariah state. Gotcha.

I disagree, and so do many analysts who monitor the situation. And the reason why Iran split with Hamas is likely because Hamas pulled closer to Saudi Arabia.
    How did Hamas pull closer to the Saudis?
    So the analysis talks about Iran having less influence before JCPOA and more after it.. and that disproves my point how?
    I spoke of it being in decline due to not being able to provide sufficient support (while original sanctions were on), which gives you the situation in 2013 which the analysis examines. To actually be useful to debatin the impact of Trump's sanctions you'd need to examine the situation in 2017 in addition, which this analysis does not do.

So Europeans were unwilling to cooperate with a POTUS who was acting largely unilaterally and tear up a deal that took years to negotiate between all parties? If it was such a "bad deal", it seems odd that almost everyone wanted to keep it. The Russians, the Chinese, the Europeans, even the Iranians despite clear limitations to their nuclear program. How odd.
    It's a terrible deal. To better illustrate how bad: this is the point we're at. Israel is willing to risk all out war with Iran just to avoid this deal being reinstated. And the gulf states agree.

Okay? That's a total departure from the original point of discussion, as to whether a successor the current regime in Iran would be friendly to Israel and/or United States.

Spoiler: As of 2021, unlikely.
    Doesn't have to be friendly, just less hostile.

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    I'm not offended, merely pointed out your poor choice of words.
    Well I don't think it was bad at all.

I suppose that you're not aware of the fact that Trump did attempt to amend JCPOA for two years before withdrawing from it. Two years during which the Iranians continued to violate the ballistic missiles clause. The Iranians, unsurprisingly, but also the Europeans were against amending it. And why would Iran accept? What do they have to gain? They've already achieved what they wanted.
    Which ballistic missile clause in the JCPOA did they violate?

Not as part of JCPOA directly, but the UNSC resolution that put the treaty into effect, resolution 2231, puts restrictions on Iran's ballistic missiles program. Iran openly and blatantly violated this resolution, which was also supported by Russia, China, France, the UK, the US...
    And does the JCPOA stipulate that breaking a UNSC Resolution violates the agreement?

It could of course be much better, but the famine won't go away because you stop selling the Saudi's weapons. Like most things in politics: If you don't, someone else, worse, will.
    So largely acceptable to you?

So they should be rewarded for being a pariah state. Gotcha.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. United States almost single-handedly enacted the global sanction regime upon Iran, much like with Cuba. Even then, while the original Iran sanctions made sense, and I agree with them, they were driven with the goal of nuclear non-proliferation in mind. The current approach is clearly not driven by the same mindset and singles out Iran when they are no better or worse than their neighbors.

How did Hamas pull closer to the Saudis?
    Because Hamas backed opposition elements in Syria during the Civil War. Of course now the tables are actually reversed once again. As Saudis seek closer ties with Israel thanks to Trump's "Deal of the Century", Saudis have turned on their allies in Hamas as sacrificial lambs. Which, is actually good policy, in my eyes.

So the analysis talks about Iran having less influence before JCPOA and more after it.. and that disproves my point how?
    I spoke of it being in decline due to not being able to provide sufficient support (while original sanctions were on), which gives you the situation in 2013 which the analysis examines. To actually be useful to debatin the impact of Trump's sanctions you'd need to examine the situation in 2017 in addition, which this analysis does not do.
    This is what you said, and there is no reference to any specific date. In fact, you reference that Iran pulled out of Gaza and supporting Hamas, despite the fact these events precede the JCPOA, 2017, or any other timestamp you cared to mention before.

"Irans influence has actually been in decline in Syria as their inability to provide sufficient support ended with a Russian intervention that in turn caused a decline of Iran's, meanwhile their Lebanese Henchmen took substantial losses in the process. Lack of funding is a factor, you can look at Iran's declining influence in Gaza to see that as they are unable to fund their puppets."

But this is actually false, because Iran's influence grew as the result of the Syrian Civil War and other conflicts near its borders. While I never denied that funding plays no part, it is unlikely to be the determining factor in curbing Iran's influence. For example, the biggest reason for Iran's increased influence in Iraq, is not a tightening or loosening of sanctions, but the 2003 Invasion of Iraq. The referenced analysis clearly shows that Iran's influence is significantly greater in Syria today than 7 years ago. And it is, if you want to examine the situation between 2017 and today, you're more than welcome to provide your own facts and figures instead of telling me to do the work for you.

It's a terrible deal. To better illustrate how bad: this is the point we're at. Israel is willing to risk all out war with Iran just to avoid this deal being reinstated. And the gulf states agree.
    Your evidence for it being a "terrible deal" is to reference what Israel is willing to do today, in 2021, after Trump pulled out of the deal and completely soured relations with Iran? I have to say, that this is strong evidence to the contrary. That the JCPOA was successful and that pulling out of the JCPOA brought the whole region closer to war.

Doesn't have to be friendly, just less hostile.
    That is a fair point and one I will agree with.

I was pleased with some of Biden's immigration and foreign policy moves, but this isn't good:

Biden signs executive order reversing Trump ban on overseas abortion funding

President Joe Biden signed an executive order on Thursday reversing former President Donald Trump's "Mexico City policy," allowing overseas non-government abortion organizations to once again access American taxpayer funding.
    The Mexico City policy, established by former President Ronald Reagan, gets revoked under each Democratic administration and then reinstated with every Republican administration. The policy has long been opposed by pro-abortion advocates who refer to it as the "global gag rule."

However, Biden's choice to reverse the policy will actually go against what most Democrats want. In 2017, 70% of Democrats said they oppose global taxpayer-funded abortions, according to the National Review.
    Biden also plans to reverse a ban on abortion providers receiving grant funds under Title X, which Trump updated to cut off organizations providing abortion services alongside family planning, as well as withdraw the U.S. from the Geneva Consensus, which is an international declaration signed by countries opposed to legalized abortion.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

President Joe Biden is signaling a tougher line with the Taliban than his predecessor, with top officials warning that a planned U.S. troop withdrawal from Afghanistan in May could be delayed if the insurgents fail to live up to their promises.

A flurry of statements and comments from the White House, State Department and Pentagon this week left no doubt that the Biden administration had a skeptical view of a shaky peace process launched by former President Donald Trump and the Taliban's willingness to sever ties with Al Qaeda and other extremists.

When NATO defense ministers meet in February, the Biden administration's stance on Afghanistan will likely be at the top of the agenda. As U.S. troop levels plunged in recent months, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg had warned that "leaving too soon or in an uncoordinated way" carried serious risks, possibly allowing the country to become a sanctuary again for terrorist groups.

Retired U.S. Gen. John Allen, who served as commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan from 2011 to 2013, said European allies with troops in Afghanistan would likely be open to a delay in a troop drawdown.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...liban-n1256227
    Good. The Trump Admin’s withdrawal timeline was based primarily on political priorities, not facts on the ground. I’m encouraged this issue is one of the first things Biden seeks to correct.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    I was pleased with some of Biden's immigration and foreign policy moves, but this isn't good:

Biden signs executive order reversing Trump ban on overseas abortion funding
    The Geneva Consensus? I find it interesting that you consider that one important enough to quote. Worth a laugh, that one.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Double
    Last edited by conon394; February 01, 2021 at 07:27 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

I know you raise isolationist card again, but so fine. If Israel and the House of Saud feel threatened both are armed to the teeth. But I am rather tired as an American of forever war in the mid east that seems to repay my nation little but cost a vast amount while its infrastructure decays and college education becomes ever more expensive and we still lack national health care. Seems to me a nuclear armed Israel with now buddies from Morocco to the Gulf should have the military might and wealth to have a fine little cold war with a frankly very isolated Iran.

We seemingly can live with a nuclear North Korea and all 'so stable' Pakistan and secure never almost lost some of their nukes why not Iran? I notice for all its use of suicide attacks (as any nation on wrong end of asymmetric warfare will do) on occasion its leaders never do seem to be in that vanguard.

But frankly I hope Biden just tables the issue I can't see any upside really right now with honestly a two year window to achieve domestic policy goals to keep the senate and house. Nobody is going to care about Iran really. Rejoin and and you get grueling negotiations that will inflame the Republicans and most democrats will why are you wasting time kill the filibuster if you want a difficult goal.
    Last edited by conon394; January 31, 2021 at 09:40 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    I know you will raise isolationist card again, but so fine. If Israel and the House of Saud feel threatened both are armed to the teeth. But I rather tired as an American of forever war in the mid east that seems to repay my nation little but cost a vast amount while it infrastructure decays and college education becomes ever more expensive and we still lack national health care. Seems to me a nuclear armed Israel with now buddies from Morocco to the Gulf should have the military might and wealth to have a fine little cold war with a frankly very isolated Iran.
    Not to be too cynical, but

Anyway, to recap the events of the last part of the work week,

1/28/21

Biden's EOs:
    1. Rescinds "Mexico City Policy", a ban on US government funding for foreign nonprofits that perform or promote abortions.
    2. Reopens enrollment on Healthcare.Gov from Feb. 15 through May.15 and directs federal agencies to reexamine policies that may reduce or undermine access to the ACA.

Again, just want to revisit Pete Buttigieg's confirmation process. He got out of committee on 1/27/21, with a vote of 21-3. The committee is staffed with 12 Democrats and 14 Republicans. The confirmation vote is likely going to be held this week. You can view the committee hearing here. Skips to roughly 32 minutes to see the start of the hearing. I have to say, that regardless of what kleptocracy got Pete Buttigieg there, and his lack of experience, he gave good answers, clearly has a level head on his shoulder and we are likely going to be stuck with him for the next 4 years. I'm not terrified of his appointment or seriously concerned like I was a few weeks ago.

And some things I missed before hand, as I am trying to get better at these updates.

Gina Raimondo, the nominee for Secretary of Commerce had her hearing on January 26th, 2021. Again, skip roughly 30 minutes in.
    Jennifer Granholm, the nominee for Secretary of Energy (and former Governor of Michigan), had her hearing on January 28th, 2021.
    Denis McDonough, the nominee for Secretary of Veterans Affairs, has his hearing on January 27th, 2021. As you can tell by his Wiki page, he is an extremely experience civil servant, albeit, not a veteran.
    Linda-Thomas Greenfield, the nominee for U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, had her hearing on January 27th, 2021. Warning; the website for the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations is absolutely asinine.
    Cecilia Rouse, the nominee for Chairwoman of the Council of Economic Advisers (CEA), the post that's otherwise known as the position of the nation's top economist, had her hearing on January 28th, 2021. Now I am obviously biased, but I think this hearing is well worth the watch. She is obviously very intelligent, very informed, and will have a lot of input on economic policy if confirmed.

Other News:
    The COVID Press Briefings were held on 1/27/21 and 1/29/21. I didn't watch the second one unfortunately, but the first one went over the brief basics of how the briefings will be structured, current obstructions within the supply chain, and went over the mutations and whether they affect vaccine efficacy. These are specifically separate from the normal Press Briefings which are headed by Jen Psaki. COVID Press Briefings are led by medical and science professionals. Specifically, Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, part of the NIH, the Surgeon-General Dr. Murthy, and Dr. Rochelle P. Walensky, Director of the CDC.

I would like to go into Press Briefings into more detail in general, but we'll see how I can handle both my regular workflow alongside my usual posting on TWC.

1/29/21

Biden's EOs:
    I do not believe he signed any today.

Alejandro Mayorkas, the nominee for Secretary of Homeland Security had his hearing on January 19th, 2021. Unfortunately, his confirmation was filibustered on Thursday.

Other News:
    Some upcoming news are, a hearing on Kathleen Holland Hicks, for the post of Deputy Secretary of Defense is scheduled for February 2nd, 2021. As is the hearing for Tom Vilsack, the nominee for Secretary of Agriculture. February 3rd, 2021, a hearing for Miguel Cardona, the nominee for Secretary of Education.

Other things that Jen Psaki gave us a heads-up about during the Press Briefing,

"Next Monday, the President will meet with the Secretary of State at the State Department.

On Tuesday, President Biden will deliver remarks and sign an executive order advancing his priority to modernize our immigration system.

And Friday is, of course, Jobs Day, and the President will deliver remarks about the economy."

That is all. Thanks for reading.

I'm simultaneously delighted and disappointed that it seems Biden has already broken some of his chief campaign bribes promises. The dems seem to have largely abandoned antifa since they are no longer useful and Biden has specifically left BLM out in the cold, and they're predictably not happy about it. I am, however. You'd think such an organized grift would be content to just pay themselves money to exist from the donations of guilt stricken white liberal donors, but maybe they actually have some convictions after all. In other news, where's my mother ing money? I was told this by Biden a month ago, and as a Georgian I feel betrayed. Perhaps in the future we can anticipate pandemic bailout packages to favor corporations that are "too big to fail" as we witnessed during the bad old days of Bush/Obama. The average American counts way less than Bank of America, I suppose. In any event it seems that we can always count on crony establishment slime balls like Bush, Obama, and Biden to favor their corporate friends than the average American, but thank goodness the evil orange man is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    I wonder why people are getting the impression that Biden is in favour of deliberately unchecked immigration.
    So do I. Your link gives no grounds for getting that impression. They must not have thought things through.
    Last edited by Muizer; February 04, 2021 at 04:30 AM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    The dems seem to have largely abandoned antifa since they are no longer useful and Biden has specifically left BLM out in the cold, and they're predictably not happy about it.
    Alternatively, you misjudged what the Democratic course would be and to save yourself from having to adjust your world view you brand it as a change of course on their part.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

American Conservatives and Trump lovers, times are changing- get used to it.

Lyndsay Graham on Twitter, 09 Oct 2020,
    Want to know what’s at stake this election? If we lose the Senate, socialist Bernie Sanders will become Budget Commitee Chairman.If we hold the Senate, and I am reelected, I will be Budget Commitee Chairman.
    Atop the Powerful Budget Committee at Last, Bernie Sanders Wants To Go Big ...
    Republicans have long feared the prospect of Mr. Sanders, a self-described democratic socialist from Vermont, taking the helm of the powerful committee
    U.S. Senate Committee On The Budget
    Senate Budget Commitee Chairman sen.Bernie Sanders introduces a budget resolution to enable Congress to fast-track President Biden’s $1.9 trillion emergency COVID relief package through budget reconciliation.
    "Come senators congressmen
    please heed the call.
    Don't stand in the doorway
    don't block up the hall"

---

Edit.
    According to Biden’s administration, the agreement with Iran is a priority. BTW, Biden’s team is already holding talks with Iran.

New Iran envoy shows Biden is serious about reviving nuclear ..Financial Times.

Malley appointment, alongside Mr Biden’s selection of seasoned diplomats involved in the 2015 nuclear deal, such as Antony Blinken as secretary of state and William Burns as CIA director, is a strong statement of intent
    There are other Biden departures from the Trump approach to the Middle East. Though a pro-Israel Democrat throughout his career, the president has named a number of Arab-Americans to sensitive roles. He has also put Gulf allies on notice by suspending delivery of precision munitions to Saudi Arabia and F-35 stealth warplanes to the United Arab Emirates. Gulf sources are warning of a return to the acrimony of the Obama era.

But most suggestive of all are indications that discreet contacts have already resumed between the US and Iran, and between the Saudis and Iranians — arch rivals for regional hegemony. One straw in the wind came in an op-ed published this week by Abdulaziz Sager and Hossein Mousavian, well-plugged-in figures on respectively the Saudi and Iran sides. They argue for co-operation that addresses both countries’ concrete security concerns — a reality-based approach that Mr Biden seems now to favour.
    Times of Israel,
    TV: Biden officials already holding talks with Iran on US return

More, EU says it will redouble efforts to save Iran nuclear deal
    Iran asks EU to help negotiate US return to nuclear deal - DW

And that's it.
    Last edited by Ludicus; February 04, 2021 at 06:45 AM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

I am really interested to see what Sanders would do as head of that committee. I was and I am strongly opposed to Sanders' view on economics and his far left views on it but as head of a powerful committee he can both be effective and tempered if needed. He is not a bad person, just a person I disagree with.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.