Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 578

Thread: President Biden's 100 first days in office

  1. #21
    nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praepositus
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    5,074

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    I'll leave Israel out of the reply in terms of closest ally - it is a costly one. But frankly I can't really call any Gulf state a useful or close ally and could care less what their opinion is.
    I didn't say Israel and the gulf states are closest allies, I said they were the allies most impacted, and they certainly are allies of the US.

  2. #22
    conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs
    Posts
    13,841

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    I didn't say Israel and the gulf states are closest allies, I said they were the allies most impacted, and they certainly are allies of the US.
    Israel is a real ally. The gulf states I frankly do not consider them as such. Tit suckers and parasites yes and ones that we could distance ourselves from and should do.

    In any case I hope Biden is in fact signaling he not going to waste time on the Iran deal. Personally I thought it was useful, but what is done is done and the time and distraction and likely lack of any domestic benefit and uncertainty of Iranian elections says to me its a waste of time better spent on the US economy, and vaccine distribution. What the House of Saud thinks I could care less the sooner we jettison them the better.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

    'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

    But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

    Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

  3. #23
    B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bayou country
    Posts
    3,503

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    I hope Biden fails in his globalist anti-American agenda.

  4. #24

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    I hope Biden fails in his globalist anti-American agenda.
    awoman to that

  5. #25

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    Your point being?
    Your opinions shouldn't be taken seriously.

    On the other hand, looking past the thinly veiled innuendo and the China fear-mongering, let's actually talk about the topic at hand. Biden's Day 1 EOs.

    1. Masks on federal property.
    2. Rejoin the WHO.
    3. Creation of Covid-19 office that reports to Biden.
    4. Extend foreclosure on Moratoriums.
    5. Freeze student debt collection.
    6. Rejoin the Paris Climate Accord.
    7. Revoke the permit for the Keystone XL pipeline and reverse Trump Administration energy rules. You can read more here.
    8. Purging the 1776 Commission.
    9. Reversing Trump's changes to the Census.
    10. Protecting Dreamers.
    11. Revoking the Muslim Ban.
    12. Amending Trump's interior enforcement rules.
    13. Stopping the construction of the Mexico border wall.
    14. Extending deportation protections for Liberians.
    15. Restoring workplace discrimination protections for LGBT.
    16. Ethics pledge for the executive branch.
    17. Freezing all Trump midnight "regulations."

    Avril Haines was confirmed as the next Director of National Intelligence with an 84-10 vote. You can guess which party, and even which individuals voted No.

    Biden, Day 2.

    The White House published a 200 page national pandemic strategy.

    EOs signed.

    1. Strengthening the supply chain, invoking the Defense Production Act to put us on wartime footing.
    2. Directive to OSHA to develop guidances on Covid-19.
    3. Equitable response for Covid-19, making sure that we keep disparities between various racial and ethnic groups to a minimum. Making FEMA support available to set up vaccination centers.
    4. Safe traveling regulations. Requiring Covid testing before traveling, and following quarantine guidelines upon arrival.
    5. Establishing guidelines for safe school reopening.
    6. Improving COVID data collection.
    7. FEMA will reimburse the cost of emergency supplies and National Guard expenses to States that had such costs.
    8. A boost to development of therapeutics for for Covid-19 and other pandemics.
    9. Global response directorate for Covid-19 and global health in general. A move to restore America's global leadership.

    Antony Blinken's confirmation went through the committee, expect a vote to follow soon. He is the nominee for Secretary of State. Expect Janet Yellen, the nominee for Treasury to also get a swift confirmation vote.

    Biden, Day 3.

    Biden called Canada and Mexico, Trudeau and AMLO respectively. First foreign outreach is predictably to our immediate neighbors.

    EOs signed.

    1. A boost to unions and worker protections; push towards 15$ minimum wage.
    2. Expansion of assistance to those who seek aid for food, unemployment, and stimulus checks.

    As a personal story, I did not get a 600$ check because I didn't actually file a tax return for that year. I bounced between various temp jobs to earn a living and gain experience in various government agencies, thankfully I had plenty of financial reserves and a good living situation. Permanent positions were difficult to come by due to the pandemic. Fortunately, I have a fairly good and permanent job now, but I did not receive a 600$ check due to these circumstances. The decision by the Trump Administration to not send out checks to people who did not file tax returns hurts people who are living much closer to the margins.
    Last edited by chriscase; January 23, 2021 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Continuity

  6. #26
    nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praepositus
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    5,074

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post



    Your opinions shouldn't be taken seriously.

    An interesting stance to have in a forum all about debating between people who disagree on things. And why, pray tell, should people who think differently be ignored?

    Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Israel is a real ally. The gulf states I frankly do not consider them as such. Tit suckers and parasites yes and ones that we could distance ourselves from and should do.

    In any case I hope Biden is in fact signaling he not going to waste time on the Iran deal. Personally I thought it was useful, but what is done is done and the time and distraction and likely lack of any domestic benefit and uncertainty of Iranian elections says to me its a waste of time better spent on the US economy, and vaccine distribution. What the House of Saud thinks I could care less the sooner we jettison them the better.
    So isolationism is your stance?
    A nuclear Iran is a boon to the enemies of the US. Achieving a deal is necessary to stop that, or if no deal then limited military action. A good deal will not be achieved if sanctions are lifted prematurely.
    Abandoning regional allies was Trump's greatest blunder in middle eastern politics during what was otherwise probably the most successful middle eastern approach by any US government and massive strides towards peace and stability in the region have been made. Repeating said blunder, but on a greater scale, would be a massive error. The house of Saud has been reforming the country and liberalising under MBS, abandoning them now would be a mistake and only cause them to go the other way.
    Last edited by nhytgbvfeco2; January 23, 2021 at 07:06 AM.

  7. #27

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    I hope Biden fails in his globalist anti-American agenda.
    Define what you mean by "globalist"

    Provide evidence supporting your claim Biden's policies are "anti-American"

    Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    On the other hand, looking past the thinly veiled innuendo and the China fear-mongering, let's actually talk about the topic at hand. Biden's Day 1 EOs.

    1. Masks on federal property.
    2. Rejoin the WHO.
    3. Creation of Covid-19 office that reports to Biden.
    4. Extend foreclosure on Moratoriums.
    5. Freeze student debt collection.
    6. Rejoin the Paris Climate Accord.
    7. Revoke the permit for the Keystone XL pipeline and reverse Trump Administration energy rules. You can read more here.
    8. Purging the 1776 Commission.
    9. Reversing Trump's changes to the Census.
    10. Protecting Dreamers.
    11. Revoking the Muslim Ban.
    12. Amending Trump's interior enforcement rules.
    13. Stopping the construction of the Mexico border wall.
    14. Extending deportation protections for Liberians.
    15. Restoring workplace discrimination protections for LGBT.
    16. Ethics pledge for the executive branch.
    17. Freezing all Trump midnight "regulations."

    Avril Haines was confirmed as the next Director of National Intelligence with an 84-10 vote. You can guess which party, and even which individuals voted No.

    Biden, Day 2.

    The White House published a 200 page national pandemic strategy.

    EOs signed.

    1. Strengthening the supply chain, invoking the Defense Production Act to put us on wartime footing.
    2. Directive to OSHA to develop guidances on Covid-19.
    3. Equitable response for Covid-19, making sure that we keep disparities between various racial and ethnic groups to a minimum. Making FEMA support available to set up vaccination centers.
    4. Safe traveling regulations. Requiring Covid testing before traveling, and following quarantine guidelines upon arrival.
    5. Establishing guidelines for safe school reopening.
    6. Improving COVID data collection.
    7. FEMA will reimburse the cost of emergency supplies and National Guard expenses to States that had such costs.
    8. A boost to development of therapeutics for for Covid-19 and other pandemics.
    9. Global response directorate for Covid-19 and global health in general. A move to restore America's global leadership.

    Antony Blinken's confirmation went through the committee, expect a vote to follow soon. He is the nominee for Secretary of State. Expect Janet Yellen, the nominee for Treasury to also get a swift confirmation vote.

    Biden, Day 3.

    Biden called Canada and Mexico, Trudeau and AMLO respectively. First foreign outreach is predictably to our immediate neighbors.

    EOs signed.

    1. A boost to unions and worker protections; push towards 15$ minimum wage.
    2. Expansion of assistance to those who seek aid for food, unemployment, and stimulus checks.


    While not perfect, this looks much better for the vast majority of Americans than Trump's self-serving, hate mongering garbage of the last 4 years.
    Last edited by chilon; January 23, 2021 at 08:53 AM.
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

    Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

  8. #28
    conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs
    Posts
    13,841

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    So isolationism is your stance?
    No not really let me clarify. I think Israel is a valuable if vexing ally. I think NATO is demonstratively valuable asset to the US. I think we need very much need to repair out standing with Japan and the ROK and even work with the odious president of the Philippines to put our house in order in Asia. But I simply don't see any gulf state as a net benefit they are odious regimes and inept in their small colonial war in Yemen and when they stop spewing out money to support extremist Islamic education prioritization around the world and just keep it at home maybe I change my mind.

    A nuclear Iran is a boon to the enemies of the US. Achieving a deal is necessary to stop that, or if no deal then limited military action. A good deal will not be achieved if sanctions are lifted prematurely.
    Abandoning regional allies was Trump's greatest blunder in middle eastern politics during what was otherwise probably the most successful middle eastern approach by any US government and massive strides towards peace and stability in the region have been made. Repeating said blunder, but on a greater scale, would be a massive error. The house of Saud has been reforming the country and liberalising under MBS, abandoning them now would be a mistake and only cause them to go the other way.
    Problem here is one does need to step in somebody else's shoes a bit. Now has I see it if I were Iranian. I might note that as India oft points out the non proliferation members of the nuclear club have never held up their end of the bargain - the bit where they are supposed to get rid of nukes. In fact China upped its game just recently. I might point out that I see no pressure on India or Pakistan or Israel to divest themselves of nuclear weapons. I might point out that North Korea has seeming easily avoided the fate of Iraq. Thus frankly I might say what government in Iran would not want a nuclear program. Being surrounded by nuclear powers and not many of any kind nuclear or not friendly?

    You keep using that word ally but outside of Israel I can't see what gulf state fits that bill. Last I checked the House of Saud had no problem implementing its oil embargo that saw my parents unemployed and my family days away from loosing our house and possessions(*). Last I checked it seems pathetically unable to defend itself - and I missed that brigade gulf troops fighting at Khe Sanh. I can ask my oldest family friend but he never mentions them while we talk and he avoids 4th of July fireworks- he did run into ROK troops on leave and Australians in nam... Nor do think the ideal of handing the F-35 over to a gulf state is anything but insane. I don't care what nominal normalization that is no more than the de facto normalization that already existed. All I see is Jared getting himself a place to run too that will not extradite him

    * not to mention its recent price war that was explicitly designed to break the US fracking industry by putting oil below its viable price point.
    Last edited by conon394; January 23, 2021 at 09:40 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

    'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

    But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

    Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

  9. #29
    nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praepositus
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    5,074

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Problem here is one does need to step in somebody else's shoes a bit. Now has I see it if I were Iranian. I might note that as India oft points out the non proliferation members of the nuclear club have never held up their end of the bargain - the bit where they are supposed to get rid of nukes. In fact China upped its game just recently. I might point out that I see no pressure on India or Pakistan or Israel to divest themselves of nuclear weapons. I might point out that North Korea has seeming easily avoided the fate of Iraq. Thus frankly I might say what government in Iran would not want a nuclear program. Being surrounded by nuclear powers and not many of any kind nuclear or not friendly?
    Of course they want a nuke. It would allow them to act with impunity and ramp up their aggression. The middle east will be on fire, more ad more ships will be seized in the straits of Hormuz, you'll have a north Korea x100 with actual influence in its region and that is allied to both Russia and China, two enemies of the US. You can bury your head in the sand and pretend that this isn't a problem for the US, but it is.
    You keep using that word ally but outside of Israel I can't see what gulf state fits that bill. Last I checked the House of Saud had no problem implementing its oil embargo that saw my parents unemployed and my family days away from loosing our house and possessions(*). Last I checked it seems pathetically unable to defend itself - and I missed that brigade gulf troops fighting at Khe Sanh. I can ask my oldest family friend but he never mentions them while we talk and he avoids 4th of July fireworks- he did run into ROK troops on leave and Australians in nam... Nor do think the ideal of handing the F-35 over to a gulf state is anything but insane. I don't care what nominal normalization that is no more than the de facto normalization that already existed. All I see is Jared getting himself a place to run too that will not extradite him
    As for the Saud's: they fought alongside the US in the gulf war, they participate in CJTF OIR, they are a major trading partner of the US and single largest buyer of US equipment, their plans for the future outlines in their programs for the future reveal plans for much increased trade and investment with the US. The gulf states additionally provide the US with military bases. Like it or not, they are an ally of the US.
    The normalisation is far more than just de-jure, most of all with the UAE which became an ally of Israel and major trading partner. In a couple of months the number of Arab states recognising Israel has grown from 2 to 6. That is massive.
    * not to mention its recent price war that was explicitly designed to break the US fracking industry by putting oil below its viable price point.
    Pretty sure the goal was to hurt Iran's oil exports, not the US.

  10. #30

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    A nuclear Iran is a boon to the enemies of the US. Achieving a deal is necessary to stop that, or if no deal then limited military action. A good deal will not be achieved if sanctions are lifted prematurely.
    Abandoning regional allies was Trump's greatest blunder in middle eastern politics during what was otherwise probably the most successful middle eastern approach by any US government and massive strides towards peace and stability in the region have been made. Repeating said blunder, but on a greater scale, would be a massive error. The house of Saud has been reforming the country and liberalising under MBS, abandoning them now would be a mistake and only cause them to go the other way.
    Iran wants a deal more than we do. That's why they're acting the way they are right now. Naturally, their playbook is inspired by North Korea and a desire to avoid ending up like Saddam or Gadhafi. They want a deal, but any deal that addresses all of Israel and the gulf states' concerns leaves them vulnerable enough that they'd rather go without. They have no reason to trust us, nor do we have any reason to trust them. However, if they trust that we (or Israel) will attack them if they get close to producing an actual weapon, then that may very well be enough to prevent them from doing so, provided that we know what they're doing and that they know that we know. Since neither we (nor Israel) actually want to have to do that, it's best to let them know this without backing them into a corner with public threats that might make them feel honor bound to test the limits. That's my read anyway.

    Obama seemed to believe that peace could be made with Iran through mutual goodwill. The previous deal was meant to give Iran a path to rejoin the community of nations or whatever. In my view, the way to maintain peace in this case is through deterrence, partly because there is just too much bad blood, and partly because they know that if a low cost opportunity for regime change in their country presented itself, we'd take it. See the Obama administration's actions in Syria for example.

    I don't have a clue yet as to how the Biden administration will handle Iran. So far, I've only heard them saying the things they're supposed to say. I don't think their focus will be much on the Middle East, nor do I think it really should be. I don't think the deal Israel and the gulf states would want is going to happen. I think Israel would have a better chance of getting Biden to sell them B2 bombers and massive ordnance penetrators.

    About Saudi Arabia, we have more leverage to influence them as an ally. The Trump administration didn't consider their human rights issues to be our business. Biden probably will, but again, I doubt the Middle East will be a major focus for him.
    Last edited by sumskilz; January 23, 2021 at 10:30 AM. Reason: fixed typos
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.


  11. #31

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    An interesting stance to have in a forum all about debating between people who disagree on things. And why, pray tell, should people who think differently be ignored?
    Probably for the same reason we ignore, or even outright ban, holocaust deniers. They rarely contribute to any substantive discussion.

    A nuclear Iran is a boon to the enemies of the US. Achieving a deal is necessary to stop that, or if no deal then limited military action. A good deal will not be achieved if sanctions are lifted prematurely.
    On the contrary, a good deal is increasingly less likely the longer United States refuses to come back to the negotiating table. If Israel was so interested in building a good deal, they shouldn't have insisted on tearing the original one up.

    Abandoning regional allies was Trump's greatest blunder in middle eastern politics during what was otherwise probably the most successful middle eastern approach by any US government and massive strides towards peace and stability in the region have been made. Repeating said blunder, but on a greater scale, would be a massive error. The house of Saud has been reforming the country and liberalising under MBS, abandoning them now would be a mistake and only cause them to go the other way.
    Escalating tensions in Iran which has now resulted in kidnapped tankers, a rocket exchange, and an acceleration of Iran's nuclear program is not "success". Far from "abandoning" MBS, keeping it engaged and accountable, which means not selling arms if they insist on being the largest source of funds for terrorists and bombing Yemen into the stone age.

    Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Iran wants a deal more than we do. That's why they're acting the way they are right now. Naturally, their playbook is inspired by North Korea and a desire to avoid ending up like Saddam or Gadhafi. They want a deal, but any deal that addresses all of Israel and the gulf states' concerns leaves them vulnerable enough that they'd rather go without. They have no reason to trust us, nor do we have any reason to trust them. However, if they trust that we (or Israel) will attack them if they get close to producing an actual weapon, then that may very well be enough to prevent them from doing so, provided that we know what they're doing and that they know that we know. Since neither we (nor Israel) actually want to have to do that, it's best to let them know this without backing them into a corner with public threats that might make them feel honor bound to test the limits. That's my read anyway.
    Unlikely, the reality of the Israeli or US threat has always been present to Iran. The reality is that Iran is free to pursue its nuclear program, and is further incentivized by the threat both Israel and United States present to its very existence. There is no guarantee that the regime will be safe until it is able to assure MAD with Israel, hence why the JCPOA was an achievement towards the opposite. The desire to avoid being Qaddafied, is what's going to drive Iran towards a Nuke and for better terms in the next deal, if Biden pushes for it.

    In other words, Trump's foreign policy is an attempt to create a self-fulfilling prophecy of a nuclear Iran, rather than an effective attempt at deterrence.

    Obama seemed to believe that peace could be made with Iran through mutual goodwill. The previous deal was meant to give Iran a path to rejoin the community of nations or whatever. In my view, the way to maintain peace in this case is through deterrence, partly because there is just too much bad blood, and partly because they know that if a low cost opportunity for regime change in their country presented itself, we'd take it. See the Obama administration's actions in Syria for example.

    I don't have a clue yet as to how the Biden administration will handle Iran. So far, I've only heard them saying the things they're supposed to say. I don't think their focus will be much on the Middle East, nor do I think it really should be. I don't think the deal Israel and the gulf states would want is going to happen. I think Israel would have a better chance of getting Biden to sell them B2 bombers and massive ordnance penetrators.

    About Saudi Arabia, we have more leverage to influence them as an ally. The Trump administration didn't consider their human rights issues to be our business. Biden probably will, but again, I doubt the Middle East will be a major focus for him.
    I'll put it very simply. The "maximum pressure" campaign has only strengthened the resolve of Iranians, stoked their nationalist fears, and inflamed tensions in the region.



    In other news this morning,

    Lloyd Austin becomes the first Black Secretary of Defense under Biden. He is a retired four star general, though they had to get a permit for him, Lloyd Austin has been retired for only 4 years, by rule the required number is 7. However, Lloyd Austin was confirmed with a 98-2 vote. Suffice to say, it's not a grave concern for any Senator really.

    Senate rule negotiations are still on-going and there are increasing calls for ending the filibuster which will allow Democrats to rule with a 51-50 slim majority.

  12. #32
    chriscase's Avatar Princess Thunderballs
    Civitate Patrician

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,573

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Please bear in mind the Mudpit Rules, in particular:

    Debates should be as detached and impersonal as possible. Do not post in such a manner that would elicit a strong, emotional response if possible.

    Posts that escalate the tone violate this rule and will be moderated. Members who continue to post in violation of the rules will face further action.

    Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin

  13. #33

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Did...did you pay your taxes?
    Taking him at his word, temp job at Agencies, taxes were already taken out of the paychecks. If he did not make above a certain total amount for the year, he's not obligated to file a return.

    This...should be something you should know.

    I for one am assuming that Agencies aren't sliding him cash in envelopes under the desk. But that's me.
    Last edited by Gaidin; January 23, 2021 at 12:22 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

  14. #34
    B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bayou country
    Posts
    3,503

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    Your opinions shouldn't be taken seriously.

    On the other hand, looking past the thinly veiled innuendo and the China fear-mongering, let's actually talk about the topic at hand. Biden's Day 1 EOs.

    1. Masks on federal property.
    2. Rejoin the WHO.
    3. Creation of Covid-19 office that reports to Biden.
    4. Extend foreclosure on Moratoriums.
    5. Freeze student debt collection.
    6. Rejoin the Paris Climate Accord.
    7. Revoke the permit for the Keystone XL pipeline and reverse Trump Administration energy rules. You can read more here.
    8. Purging the 1776 Commission.
    9. Reversing Trump's changes to the Census.
    10. Protecting Dreamers.
    11. Revoking the Muslim Ban.
    12. Amending Trump's interior enforcement rules.
    13. Stopping the construction of the Mexico border wall.
    14. Extending deportation protections for Liberians.
    15. Restoring workplace discrimination protections for LGBT.
    16. Ethics pledge for the executive branch.
    17. Freezing all Trump midnight "regulations."

    Avril Haines was confirmed as the next Director of National Intelligence with an 84-10 vote. You can guess which party, and even which individuals voted No.

    Biden, Day 2.

    The White House published a 200 page national pandemic strategy.

    EOs signed.

    1. Strengthening the supply chain, invoking the Defense Production Act to put us on wartime footing.
    2. Directive to OSHA to develop guidances on Covid-19.
    3. Equitable response for Covid-19, making sure that we keep disparities between various racial and ethnic groups to a minimum. Making FEMA support available to set up vaccination centers.
    4. Safe traveling regulations. Requiring Covid testing before traveling, and following quarantine guidelines upon arrival.
    5. Establishing guidelines for safe school reopening.
    6. Improving COVID data collection.
    7. FEMA will reimburse the cost of emergency supplies and National Guard expenses to States that had such costs.
    8. A boost to development of therapeutics for for Covid-19 and other pandemics.
    9. Global response directorate for Covid-19 and global health in general. A move to restore America's global leadership.

    Antony Blinken's confirmation went through the committee, expect a vote to follow soon. He is the nominee for Secretary of State. Expect Janet Yellen, the nominee for Treasury to also get a swift confirmation vote.

    Biden, Day 3.

    Biden called Canada and Mexico, Trudeau and AMLO respectively. First foreign outreach is predictably to our immediate neighbors.

    EOs signed.

    1. A boost to unions and worker protections; push towards 15$ minimum wage.
    2. Expansion of assistance to those who seek aid for food, unemployment, and stimulus checks.

    As a personal story, I did not get a 600$ check because I didn't actually file a tax return for that year. I bounced between various temp jobs to earn a living and gain experience in various government agencies, thankfully I had plenty of financial reserves and a good living situation. Permanent positions were difficult to come by due to the pandemic. Fortunately, I have a fairly good and permanent job now, but I did not receive a 600$ check due to these circumstances. The decision by the Trump Administration to not send out checks to people who did not file tax returns hurts people who are living much closer to the margins.
    What a ridiculous list. For instance, there was no Muslim ban.

    Quote Originally Posted by chilon View Post
    Define what you mean by "globalist"

    Provide evidence supporting your claim Biden's policies are "anti-American"



    While not perfect, this looks much better for the vast majority of Americans than Trump's self-serving, hate mongering garbage of the last 4 years.
    The hate mongering garbage of the last four years came from the left-wing media.

    As for the rest, globalist policies shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Disadvantaging US industries in favor of foreign entities is not hard to quantify. The Paris Climate accord is a globalist imitative. It's sad that you do not know that.

    Amnesty for 11 million illegals and giving them preferential status over American citizens is anti-American and opening the border is a globalist thing. How is it that you can't figure that out?

  15. #35
    nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praepositus
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    5,074

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    Probably for the same reason we ignore, or even outright ban, holocaust deniers. They rarely contribute to any substantive discussion.
    Comparing a Jew to a holocaust denier.. smooth.
    However, this is a predictable response, for of course preferring Trump over Biden is basically the same as being a Nazi.



    On the contrary, a good deal is increasingly less likely the longer United States refuses to come back to the negotiating table. If Israel was so interested in building a good deal, they shouldn't have insisted on tearing the original one up.
    The original deal was worse than no deal. All it does is put Iran's program on pause for 10 years, allowing it to recover economically from the sanctions, and then after the time is up it can just resume the program again. Rather than solve the issue it just slightly delays it while ultimately making it much harder to stop because Iran would be in a much better position after it, exacerbating the problem.
    The US was not the one refusing to come back to the table, it was however refusing to come back to the same, terrible, deal.


    Escalating tensions in Iran which has now resulted in kidnapped tankers, a rocket exchange, and an acceleration of Iran's nuclear program is not "success". Far from "abandoning" MBS, keeping it engaged and accountable, which means not selling arms if they insist on being the largest source of funds for terrorists and bombing Yemen into the stone age.
    Whenever Yemen is mentioned everyone seems to forget that Saudi-Arabia is helping the Yemeni government, not invading it, same as the Iranian involvement in Syria.
    The crippling sanctions are a success, Iran's economy is in ruins, it is forced to contend with civil strife (by brutally suppressing it), its top military leader is dead and their support for terrorism abroad has declined due to lack of funds. Compare to just after the deal which allowed them to increase involvement in Yemen, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and Gaza all with the help of US dollars provided by Obama.

  16. #36

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    Comparing a Jew to a holocaust denier.. smooth.
    However, this is a predictable response, for of course preferring Trump over Biden is basically the same as being a Nazi.
    Ah, I see you've hit a Rand Paul moment.

    The original deal was worse than no deal. All it does is put Iran's program on pause for 10 years, allowing it to recover economically from the sanctions, and then after the time is up it can just resume the program again. Rather than solve the issue it just slightly delays it while ultimately making it much harder to stop because Iran would be in a much better position after it, exacerbating the problem.
    The US was not the one refusing to come back to the table, it was however refusing to come back to the same, terrible, deal.
    Time is up? You mean 15 years? And where does the JCPOA state that no further treaties, extensions, or negotiations can occur in that time frame? And if you want to talk about "exacerbating the problem", let me know whether Iran is closer or further away from making a nuke ever since we walked away.

    Whenever Yemen is mentioned everyone seems to forget that Saudi-Arabia is helping the Yemeni government, not invading it, same as the Iranian involvement in Syria.
    We don't sell arms to Iran, that's the difference. Refusing to sell arms to Saudi Arabia is a bar so low, I can barely see it, but here we are. Engaging in whataboutism the moment Yemen is brought up.

    The crippling sanctions are a success, Iran's economy is in ruins, it is forced to contend with civil strife (by brutally suppressing it), its top military leader is dead and their support for terrorism abroad has declined due to lack of funds. Compare to just after the deal which allowed them to increase involvement in Yemen, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and Gaza all with the help of US dollars provided by Obama.
    Iran's economy was in ruins before and after the "maximum pressure" campaign. The JCPOA isn't responsible for expansion of Iranian influence. You can blame that on the war in Iraq, Syria, Yemen, and the instability in Lebanon as well as Israel itself, of which Israel is a major contributing party to the current situation. Israel's policies in the name of "security" are part of the problem that causes the "security" issue to begin with. And if you think there is a disconnect between Iran's population and Iran's regime, think again.

    Hypothetically, even if Iran collapses, becomes a democracy, or whatever, likely, it's not going to be replaced by people who are going to want to be your friend.

  17. #37
    nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praepositus
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    5,074

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    Ah, I see you've hit a Rand Paul moment.
    No no, you literally made the comparison, there was no innuendo involved.


    Time is up? You mean 15 years? And where does the JCPOA state that no further treaties, extensions, or negotiations can occur in that time frame? And if you want to talk about "exacerbating the problem", let me know whether Iran is closer or further away from making a nuke ever since we walked away.
    My bad, 15.
    Obviously another treaty CAN be signed at the end of that time frame, but why would it? It took years of sanctions for Iran to come to the point where they agreed even to this deal, why would they agree to a more strict deal after their economy recovers and they dominate more neighbouring countries to help them circumvent future sanctions?
    We'd be in about the same position at the end of the deal as we are now, difference being that Iran's economy would have been in a stronger position and their influence in the region would have been greater. The sooner the deal ended the better.


    We don't sell arms to Iran, that's the difference. Refusing to sell arms to Saudi Arabia is a bar so low, I can barely see it, but here we are. Engaging in whataboutism the moment Yemen is brought up.
    How was that whataboutism? You stated that Saudi Arabia is bombing Yemen into the stone age.. which it isn't, it's bombing rebels in Yemen as requested by the Yemeni government. Why should the US not sell it arms because of it supporting an ally..?



    Iran's economy was in ruins before and after the "maximum pressure" campaign.
    Because it didn't have quite enough time to recover.
    The JCPOA isn't responsible for expansion of Iranian influence.
    No, but under sanctions Iran was hard pressed (and is once more) for funds to fund its proxy wars.
    You can blame that on the war in Iraq, Syria, Yemen, and the instability in Lebanon as well as Israel itself, of which Israel is a major contributing party to the current situation. Israel's policies in the name of "security" are part of the problem that causes the "security" issue to begin with. And if you think there is a disconnect between Iran's population and Iran's regime, think again.
    These things create the opportunity for Iran to intervene, but their influence doesn't just grow on its own. They fund terrorists and proxies and actively partake in conflicts, something they are hard pressed to do when under sanctions and would be able to do with impunity if they had nukes.
    Hypothetically, even if Iran collapses, becomes a democracy, or whatever, likely, it's not going to be replaced by people who are going to want to be your friend.
    It very well could. Shahist Iran was a friendly nation to Israel, it could well return to be.

  18. #38

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Posting this mostly for me,

    Hello future me, gas is $2.17 per gallon right now. How angry are you?

    Troops in Iraq: 2,500

    Troops in Afghanistan: 2,500
    No Syria?
    "People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson


    In Soviet Russia you want Uncle Sam.

  19. #39

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    No no, you literally made the comparison, there was no innuendo involved.
    When did I ever specify Jews in particular? And even if I had, are you saying that the example is inappropriate because a Jew cannot possible be a holocaust denier or something similar?

    My bad, 15.
    Obviously another treaty CAN be signed at the end of that time frame, but why would it? It took years of sanctions for Iran to come to the point where they agreed even to this deal, why would they agree to a more strict deal after their economy recovers and they dominate more neighbouring countries to help them circumvent future sanctions?
    We'd be in about the same position at the end of the deal as we are now, difference being that Iran's economy would have been in a stronger position and their influence in the region would have been greater. The sooner the deal ended the better.
    Nobody stopped Trump from developing relations with Iran with the JCPOA in effect. That wasn't a requirement for dialogue, nor is there a clause in the agreement that stipulated that no further agreements could be made.

    Furthermore, we would arguably be in a much better negotiating position to both, justify further military action against Iran or to negotiate a deal that would further curtail Iranian weapons programs or proxy activities. As a consequence of United States leaving the JCPOA unilaterally, trust and support will be much harder to build not just with Iran, but with European partners and other important players like China, Russia, and India.

    How was that whataboutism? You stated that Saudi Arabia is bombing Yemen into the stone age.. which it isn't, it's bombing rebels in Yemen as requested by the Yemeni government. Why should the US not sell it arms because of it supporting an ally..?
    These rebels?

    "The armed conflict in Yemen has resulted in the largest humanitarian crisis in the world; parties to the conflict have killed and injured thousands of Yemeni civilians. According to the Yemen Data Project, more than 17,500 civilians were killed and injured since 2015, and a quarter of all civilians killed in air raids were women and children. More than 20 million people in Yemen are experiencing food insecurity; 10 million of them are at risk of famine."


    Because it didn't have quite enough time to recover.
    An Iran that's more reliant on foreign trade and access to markets is an Iran that will suffer even more if sanctions are re-imposed.

    No, but under sanctions Iran was hard pressed (and is once more) for funds to fund its proxy wars.
    Iran was hard pressed to find opportunities for proxy wars. Iran's expansion of irregular warfare isn't because they lacked money or material. It was because it was surrounded by stable regimes. With both Iraq and Syria in ruins due to the War in Iraq and the Arab Spring, Iran gained the opportunity to spread its influence. This has much less to do with money, and much more to do with United States making its own bed.

    These things create the opportunity for Iran to intervene, but their influence doesn't just grow on its own. They fund terrorists and proxies and actively partake in conflicts, something they are hard pressed to do when under sanctions and would be able to do with impunity if they had nukes.
    Iran will find money to fund terrorists and proxies with or without the sanctions, with or without the JCPOA. In fact, had Trump been allowed to stay in office, United States would've further isolated itself and allowed China's influence to grow. There is potential for China to provide an alternative to countries like Iran, North Korea, Russia, and even the European Union. By withdrawing from the JCPOA we did not isolate Iran, we isolated ourselves. Thankfully, the global financial and trade system still heavily relies on United States, hence why the economic sanctions had their effect. But this has given far more reasons for the rest of the world to detach themselves away from United States.

    It very well could. Shahist Iran was a friendly nation to Israel, it could well return to be.
    The Shah was deposed by a popular revolution rather than a military coup, so I doubt it.

  20. #40
    alhoon's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chania, Greece
    Posts
    22,760

    Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

    https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...4233cfec7e2827

    The Gist: Biden will send 4B$ more to Central America, as in the continent, not the fly-over states of central USA.

    I... am uneasy about this. The measure is supposed to stop the ROOT of immigration. Instead of Guatemalans risking limb and life to come to USA for a slightly better future, help them make it there in Guatemala and in the process create more consumers for your own products.
    In theory.
    On the other hand, that money may well go to the pockets of crooks that will happily buy Chinese products for their cronies and USA guns for their thugs meaning you still get the immigrants and only a tiny return of the investment in the form of increased gun sales - and more murders in Central America and drugs across the world.

    If it works, it's wonderful and much more effective than building 50B$ worth of walls.
    If it doesn't work, you have made very evil drug dealers more powerful.

    And I am not optimistic Biden will outsmart the drug dealers.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    _______________________________________________________
    Beta-tester for Darthmod Empire, the default modification for Empire Total War that does not ask for your money behind patreon.

    Developer of Causa Belli submod for Darthmod, headed by Hammeredalways and a ton of other people.
    Developer of LtC: Random maps submod for Lands to Conquer (that brings a multitude of random maps and other features).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •