Page 10 of 143 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560110 ... LastLast

Thread: President Biden's first term in office

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Default Re: President Biden's 100 first days in office

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    My point is that your statements are contradictory. You initially claimed that the strike ordered by Biden was predicated on the same legal rationale used by the Trump administration:When pressed on what this rationale was, you referred to “Article 51 regarding self-defence”: Then immediately contradicted this point by stating that the strikes ordered by Trump “were not in self-defence”:
    So your point is just to correct me? What I said technically isn't wrong. The following post was to clarify that not all of Trump's strikes technically were done under the same authority.

So yes I did contradict myself but I was also still technically correct. Trump did order strikes in Syria same as Biden under the same legal authority.

Now you raise an instance in which the Trump administration authorized a strike which was predicated on self-defence (supposing one accepts that a de-facto occupying force can act in self-defence):
    Well that instance does support my original claim does it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    I've just noticed...is the thread's title a pun on Biden's mental capabilities or grammatical mistake?
    I think by now you can count on only one hand the number of people who think he lacks the mental capacity to do the job.

Either alhoon is bitter, or he typed the thread title so fast as to reverse two words. Not unknown in the modern world of the computer. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Either way, originates from the days when Hoover handled the Depression so horribly that the Republican Party got so utterly thrashed that the Democratic party held not just the Presidency but the quorum in both chambers of Congress and Roosevelt was able to get so god damn much done in the first 100 days of office that every President since then has been judged by their first 100 days.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Yesterday, Joe Biden has been sworn president of the USA, that seem less united than any time in my memory. Biden started off his presidency with a speech calling for unity and I expect he will try to address this issue.

President Biden has presented his agenda for his first days in office, which includes opening the path to citizenship for millions of illegal immigrants (with good and bad things), trying to tackle CoVID 19, the rollout of the vaccine and trying to help with the economic fallout of the pandemic. He has signaled he wants to rejoin the Paris Agreement and takes climate change seriously and took steps towards those issues. He also took a progressive stance towards LGBT issues and signed executive order to expand protections for this group.

The first day in office, Biden signed 17 executive orders to deal with these issues or undo orders of President Trump when it comes to regulations etc.

It is customary that new governments push much of their agenda in the first 100 days and then spend the rest of their time in office trying to smooth those changes in and try to deal with problems as they arise. I.e. the first 100 days are the most "productive" of a new administration.
    What do you expect from Biden's crucial 100 first days?
    What do you think of the actions he took upon taking office? Are they symbolic or crucial? Are they good?

While I like Biden's efforts to bring unity, and I think he's honestly trying (and since he was a senator for decades he has contacts), I am appalled by some of his progressive moves.
    Opening the path to immigration is not that bad but putting it in the first day of flurry + the "Please don't come, you won't be admitted immediately" approach of his administration towards the Honduran caravans is bound to create headaches for him when it comes to immigration and opens him up for broadsides from conservatives. The new administration is more than clear that they are much friendlier towards illegal immigrants than the previous administration. And the path to citizenship in 8 years sounds a bit like a votegrab for those that will be granted citizenship.

And then, we have Biden's symbolic but ridiculous moves when it comes to gender pronouns.
    Sure, that will be useful to the 0.2% of people that do that, the 3% of ultraprogressives that demand we all change for the benefit of that 0.2% and piss off 20%-25% of conservatives. Not good for unity and I think a mostly symbolic gesture to placate the ultraprogressive wing of his party.

I expect Biden's 100 first days will be a bit banal compared to Trump's or even Obama's 100 first days but still interesting. I expect he will have to fight for unity between the moderate and progressive wings of his own party and he will make some attempts towards the moderate-and-centrist part of the Republicans. You know, the adults in the GOP that are aware that Biden won the election.
    And I expect him to fail to placate everyone.

Whether he will be someone nobody really likes but most can live with or whether he will simply make everyone angry as he tries to juggle the various factions is yet to be seen. I am not too optimistic nor too pessimistic. I expect Biden to get a solid B- when it comes to unity. And a B when it comes to his first 100 days.

EDIT: A good article on how the world has changed through Biden's life and where things stood at the beginning of his presidency.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/78-oldest...125520530.html

Their camp doesn't get to spend 4+ years calling the President and his voters/supporters [myself among them] deplorables, racists, sexists, Nazis, Klansmen, white supremacists, fascists, haters, mass-murderers, while attacking old people for wearing MAGA hats and beating them bloody in the streets, and then call for unity once they have their hands on the levers of power.

I don't want unity with the people who spent years abusing us. Furthermore, if we are even half as vile as they claim, why should they ever want unity with us?

What they mean by unity is they want us to shut up and let them rule instead of taking to the streets and blocking traffic and hurling bricks at motorists as their people did to us for the last several years.

It is like a husband calling for unity and reconciliation after he has spent the last year beating his wife on a weekly basis.
    "God is, as man conceives Him, the reflected image of man himself." Albert Pike in Morals and Dogma (33° AASR)

Ignore list [to save time]-
    Ferrets54, Hanny, Harith, mongrel, Setekh, Gaidin, Bismarck1899, antaeus, empr guy, Enros, IronBrig4, The spartan, the_mango55, Sar1n,

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    I think by now you can count on only one hand the number of people who think he lacks the mental capacity to do the job.
    Look no offence, I am no fan of Trump but that doesn't automatically make Biden capable. He's plainly softer and mumblier than in his days as Obama's cheerful sidekick, and he wasn't the sharpest bowling ball in the sixpack back then. No doubt he was an a succesful politician but his success seems to have come from charm and hard work, not brilliance, and he's lied about himself in ways that suggest he either has a defective memory or he's not smart enough to lie in ways that don't expose him to ridicule. "Less stupid and less of a liar than Trump" is a low low bar.

I think he was chosen to beat Bernie first, and Trump second.

My uniformed opinion is he's a standard issue long service politician, an able servant of the system and sometimes the people. He seems to have been shored up with more capable apparatchiks (Harris is a bold step, she's purple to point of being a left win Republican and her intelligence is not in question) and Trumps absolutely abysmal showing may have shamed the Other Party into putting some half-decent people into the right slots. First impression is there are no obvious Hilary in State level stuff ups this time (which we can all agree is a good thing).
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Look no offence, I am no fan of Trump but that doesn't automatically make Biden capable. He's plainly softer and mumblier than in his days as Obama's cheerful sidekick, and he wasn't the sharpest bowling ball in the sixpack back then. No doubt he was an a succesful politician but his success seems to have come from charm and hard work, not brilliance, and he's lied about himself in ways that suggest he either has a defective memory or he's not smart enough to lie in ways that don't expose him to ridicule. "Less stupid and less of a liar than Trump" is a low low bar.

I think he was chosen to beat Bernie first, and Trump second.

My uniformed opinion is he's a standard issue long service politician, an able servant of the system and sometimes the people. He seems to have been shored up with more capable apparatchiks (Harris is a bold step, she's purple to point of being a left win Republican and her intelligence is not in question) and Trumps absolutely abysmal showing may have shamed the Other Party into putting some half-decent people into the right slots. First impression is there are no obvious Hilary in State level stuff ups this time (which we can all agree is a good thing).
    I believe he was chosen to represent the party and be malleable to their direction, wherever it may go. It is clear to me the election boiled down to a vote for the party/against Trump, or a vote strictly for Trump - at least at the presidential level and nodding to the Biden vote, Republican ballot. After entry so far has gone about as I expected. Get occasional bones, don't hold out for greatness. He has the capacity to do the job because there is no expectation of him to be more than a figure. What I am sceptical is his ability to generate anything that wasn't fed to him, between former colleagues or Harris.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ View Post
    Given the geopolitical outlooks of Biden's foreign policy ..., I can't imagine any.
    It is the first broken promise, during the election campaign Biden promised to make Saudi Arabia the "pariah state that they are"
    It is interesting to note that, according to U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin "the US has not generally applied sanctions on the highest leadership of countries" (sic)- and in this case, on the leadership of the crowned prince MBS. "That’s because of the important interests that we do share" (1), he said.
    I can't say I'm not disappointed.
    ------
    'Unjustified': Saudi Arabia 'completely rejects' US assessment ...
    UAE Backs Saudi Position.
    --
    (1) In my opinion, the most dangerous enemies of the US are climate change and new epidemics.
    Last edited by Ludicus; February 28, 2021 at 09:35 AM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Biden giving speech, stops and asks: "what am I doing here?":

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...ing_here_.html

And for all those folks still waiting on that $2000.00 dollar check, Biden has a new priority; paying airfare for illegals to travel to the destination of their choice:

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog..._migrants.html
    Last edited by B. W.; February 28, 2021 at 12:56 PM.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    It is the first broken promise, during the election campaign Biden promised to make Saudi Arabia the "pariah state that they are"
    It is interesting to note that, according to U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin "the US has not generally applied sanctions on the highest leadership of countries" (sic)- and in this case, on the leadership of the crowned prince MBS. "That’s because of the important interests that we do share" (1), he said.
    I can't say I'm not disappointed.
    ------
    'Unjustified': Saudi Arabia 'completely rejects' US assessment ...
    UAE Backs Saudi Position.
    --
    Business as usual. Less creepy and corrupt than Trump but still creepy and corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    (1) In my opinion, the most dangerous enemies of the US are climate change and new epidemics.
    Its true the US system is extremely strong. Incremental self sabotage may catch up but frankly the number 1 danger to the US is the planet and life on the planet. The US usually responds with hard work, incentivized by a profit model and I guess that's not worked brilliantly with the current virus (the red/blue mess needs to tighten up a bit) but climate change adaption can be aggressively monetized: thats a space where Yankee ingenuity can shine.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; March 01, 2021 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Continuity.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

A number of posts have been removed. You are reminded to stay on topic at all times when debating, that being Biden's First 100 Days in Office. Elite paedophile rings are off topic.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Umm you do realize the US did not pass a constitution amendment to implement a parliamentary democracy - right? You do know that right. With a 50+1 razor thin senate majority in the senate and 2 weak conservative dems... With reconciliation and what you can do with dependent on senate rules decisions what f- to expect?
    I was under the impression that minimum wage part of the bill was struck down by the Senate Parliamentarian, Macdonough, and that Harris as Vice President being presiding officer of the Senate could have overruled her decision, there is precedent for that.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Also what a month or so into a 4 year term and failed on minimum wage?
    I didn't say he failed at it. I know that his term just begun, however my thoughts are that Biden will govern as Obama and as such I don't see him pushing policies that might be popular, like the 15$ increase, unless he isn't personally interested in them. If I was correct about Harris being able to overrule Macdonough's strike, then Biden either finds passing the bill in such a way inappropriate or isn't to keen on it.
    Last edited by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σω March 01, 2021 at 06:00 PM. Reason: correction and addition

Who's in charge?

White house feed cut after Pres. Xiben asks for questions:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...sks-questions/

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

I wonder how the audit of the 2.1 million ballots will turn out in Arizona?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjo View Post
    I wonder how the audit of the 2.1 million ballots will turn out in Arizona?
    Nothing will come of it and the goalposts will be moved again. The people who still believe Biden won through massive voter fraud are to politics what flat-Earthers are to science, no amount of reason or evidence or explanations will ever be enough to convince them they are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantinePowerGame View Post
    Their camp doesn't get to spend 4+ years calling the President and his voters/supporters [myself among them] deplorables, racists, sexists, Nazis, Klansmen, white supremacists, fascists, haters, mass-murderers, while attacking old people for wearing MAGA hats and beating them bloody in the streets, and then call for unity once they have their hands on the levers of power.

I don't want unity with the people who spent years abusing us. Furthermore, if we are even half as vile as they claim, why should they ever want unity with us?

What they mean by unity is they want us to shut up and let them rule instead of taking to the streets and blocking traffic and hurling bricks at motorists as their people did to us for the last several years.

It is like a husband calling for unity and reconciliation after he has spent the last year beating his wife on a weekly basis.
    A bunch of unsourced claims that read like the alternative reality perpetrated by that hypocrite Rush Limbaugh. Trump accelerated the descent to violence by inciting his supporters to attack protesters at his 2016 rallies with claims that he would pay the legal fees. We have many timelines of Trump's incitement of violence including Trump supporters murdering an innocent protester with their vehicle and many more incidents of Trump supporters initiating violence.

Now we have 4 in 10 Republicans say political violence may be necessary.
    ""As with a lot of questions in the survey, white evangelicals stand out in terms of their belief in conspiracy theories and the idea that violence can be necessary," Cox says. "They're far more likely to embrace all these different conspiracies.""
    Last edited by chilon; March 05, 2021 at 09:03 AM.
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

Quote Originally Posted by chilon View Post

""As with a lot of questions in the survey, white evangelicals stand out in terms of their belief in conspiracy theories and the idea that violence can be necessary," Cox says. "They're far more likely to embrace all these different conspiracies.""
    It's just so insane. As has been explained numerous times before, they got too deep and don't want to admit the guy they've been claiming is a bigly genius businessman who loves them is really just a two-bit conman who regards them as idiots and suckers. And they will go to any lengths to avoid facing that reality.

The sheer level of delusion is pretty amazing. Ashli Babbitt saw a gun inches from her face, with a clear indication she would be shot if she advanced, and despite all reason and 15 years in the military she decided Trump was worth almost certain death. Too bad she threw her life away for a narcissist who will never give a thought to her or any of her fellow rioters.

Quote Originally Posted by chilon View Post
    A bunch of unsourced claims that read like the alternative reality perpetrated by that hypocrite Rush Limbaugh. Trump accelerated the descent to violence by inciting his supporters to attack protesters at his 2016 rallies with claims that he would pay the legal fees. We have many timelines of Trump's incitement of violence including Trump supporters murdering an innocent protester with their vehicle and many more incidents of Trump supporters initiating violence.

Predictably, key information is being omitted. Four in ten Republicans agreed that the people may need to resort to violence as a form of self-defense "if elected leaders will not protect America”. This is entirely different from the implication that four in ten Republicans view violence as a legitimate political tool minus exceptional circumstances. Also omitted is that three in ten Americans (total) held the same view.

Although most Americans reject the use of violence to achieve political ends, there is still significant support for it among the public. Nearly three in 10 (29 percent) Americans completely or somewhat agree with the statement: “If elected leaders will not protect America, the people must do it themselves even if it requires taking violent actions.” More than two-thirds (68 percent) of Americans disagree with this statement.

The use of violence finds somewhat more support among Republicans than Democrats, although most Republicans oppose it. Roughly four in 10 (39 percent) Republicans support Americans taking violent actions if elected leaders fail to act. Sixty percent of Republicans oppose this idea. Thirty-one percent of independents and 17 percent of Democrats also support taking violent actions if elected leaders do not defend the country.

American Survey Centre

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    Nothing will come of it and the goalposts will be moved again. The people who still believe Biden won through massive voter fraud are to politics what flat-Earthers are to science, no amount of reason or evidence or explanations will ever be enough to convince them they are wrong.
    Perhaps but this is always fun to explain...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Biden is trying to stop the Bush1 and Bush2 loopholes that allow presidents to bomb the middle east.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    It's just so insane. As has been explained numerous times before, they got too deep and don't want to admit the guy they've been claiming is a bigly genius businessman who loves them is really just a two-bit conman who regards them as idiots and suckers. And they will go to any lengths to avoid facing that reality.

The sheer level of delusion is pretty amazing. Ashli Babbitt saw a gun inches from her face, with a clear indication she would be shot if she advanced, and despite all reason and 15 years in the military she decided Trump was worth almost certain death. Too bad she threw her life away for a narcissist who will never give a thought to her or any of her fellow rioters.
    This is a lie. Babbitt was crawling through a window on the right side of an entrance to a very wide corridor. The gunshot came from a cracked doorway down the hall on the other side of the corridor; about twelve feet away. She did it after being urged to do it by a black BLM supporter posing as a Trump supporter. It's all on video and I saw the video...so quit lying.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Biden is trying to stop the Bush1 and Bush2 loopholes that allow presidents to bomb the middle east.
    ...while he bombs Syria.

A BLM supporter posing as a Trump supporter? *Snicker* Why not just say it was a Martian infiltrator come to harvest your precious bodily fluids?

Some things about Jan 6 are certainly classified but Trump probably did intend on a Saddam-style coup where his brownshirts would kill those who refused to make him dictator. It just takes time to plan one effectively and he's lazy and not too bright. There are too many suspicious elements to it like the obviously limited response from Capitol police. But once Pence got away he probably got in contact with the Army and forced Trump to back down. Once Trump was told in no uncertain terms he had lost the support of the Army and was looking at treason charges if he kept going he backed down. Which would actually mean this was the first time in US history that the Army turned against the president. Afterwards Pence de facto became president but Trump remained formally in charge to maintain the illusion of stability. Certain things about january 6 will only be declassified decades from now.